Forza Motorsport 7: PC performance

• Thread starter Sprocket
  • 128 comments
I seem to be experiencing quite a few crashes. Sometimes it can happen the moment I open the game, sometimes it could be after an hour and during a race. There doesn't seem to be a pattern. Using the Latest nVidia drivers (385.69).

I Want to hear how you guys/girls are getting on with the game on PC. I'm running a 6700K @4,6ghz, 16GB Ram @2400mhz & GTX 1080TI, plus a Dell S2417DG monitor with G-Sync and 165hz.

With 2560x1440p resolution, all graphics settings at max and Framerate target set to "Unlocked", I'm getting lots of stutter.
I'm using almost the same as you but in a laptop and in not getting much stutter in game. The menus are a bit worse but manageable.

I did as requested. Disabled Windows Game Mode, closed all apps (Steam) and overclocking tools etc. I'm still getting plenty of stutter both in game and in the menu's.
I did read about people that complained about the demo, because it only really uses 1 or 2 CPU cores, which could explain the stutter. So poor PC optimization I guess?

I did as requested. Disabled Windows Game Mode, closed all apps (Steam) and overclocking tools etc. I'm still getting plenty of stutter both in game and in the menu's.
I did read about people that complained about the demo, because it only really uses 1 or 2 CPU cores, which could explain the stutter. So poor PC optimization I guess?

Running on My Ryzen 5 the game looks to be using plenty of cores after racing for a while I checked the cpu load history and it showed 44% used. The Ryzen shows 12 cores. It is really 6 but each can handle two threads so 44% Would indicate that it is using up to 6 or more threads at some point during the game.

I have saw some stutter now and then on a couple of tracks. Most of the time it is smooth. When I think of it I do not think I have payed a Forza game yet that did not get some occasional stutter.

I was doing the 23 lap in Spa endurance race, and in the last lap right at the last sector the game crashed to desktop. :)

I was doing the 23 lap in Spa endurance race, and in the last lap right at the last sector the game crashed to desktop. :)
Bummer. I'm doing that race now just paused it about 1/2 way through. I hope that doesn't happen here.

Did you see sections of graphics not being drawn soon enough prior to the crash? I know that is a problem on some tracks after playing for a while.
My advice if this is the case is to restart the game just before you attempt a long race. That seems to help quite a lot.

Bummer. I'm doing that race now just paused it about 1/2 way through. I hope that doesn't happen here.

Did you see sections of graphics not being drawn soon enough prior to the crash? I know that is a problem on some tracks after playing for a while.
My advice if this is the case is to restart the game just before you attempt a long race. That seems to help quite a lot.
No. Nothing weird at all, it simply crashed. Just like Cosbuster's post, I'm experiencing crashes that didn't happen when the game released, sometimes it crashes before it even goes to the main menu, or it crashes after more than an hour playing like in my previous post. Same happens in FH3, which is a known issue by Turn10/PG. I hope they fix it this time.

No. Nothing weird at all, it simply crashed. Just like Cosbuster's post, I'm experiencing crashes that didn't happen when the game released, sometimes it crashes before it even goes to the main menu, or it crashes after more than an hour playing like in my previous post. Same happens in FH3, which is a known issue by Turn10/PG. I hope they fix it this time.
Hopefully they will patch it right away. crashing is always bad, much worse when you are near the end of a long race like that.
So far the only actual crash I have had was when looking at wheels in the upgrade shop last night.

Noticing some steering issues, seems that the steering is really tight driving the F50 but when counter steer is required an inch turns into a mile, haven't managed to catch a slide yet. Only managed to even get it to respond to counter steer input once and that required turning near full lock.
Could be that I just need to tweak some settings on the wheel but currently it is definitely not right.

An update to the previous post apparently there were two issues going on
1: The game does not seem to like it if the wheel SEN is set to off
2: When I changed a setting on the wheel the game re-detected it apparently and set dead zones

The combination was making it very very hard to drive.

I set the wheel to SEN=600 then started the game and adjusted the deadzone settings and seems fine now where before it seemed impossible to catch even a simple slide now it is no problem.

I'm having an issue updating my laptop to the windows 10 creators edition that is required for FM7. It downloads the update assistant, and it goes through the process of restarting my computer a few times, but when I go to download the game, it still shows that I'm using a version of Windows that isn't compatible with FM7.

Is there already a conversation about this? I can post any necessary screenshots later today.

My laptop:
https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL502VS/

I'm having an issue updating my laptop to the windows 10 creators edition that is required for FM7. It downloads the update assistant, and it goes through the process of restarting my computer a few times, but when I go to download the game, it still shows that I'm using a version of Windows that isn't compatible with FM7.

Is there already a conversation about this? I can post any necessary screenshots later today.

My laptop:
https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL502VS/

I was not able to get my system to upgrade editions of windows using that method either. It would act like it was working reboot and all but when it was done it had reverted back to what I already had installed.

I found that if I downloaded the actual ISO image from MS and used that then it worked without issue. I had to do this to upgrade from 7 to 10 and from 10 to the anniversary version. The latest version I put on a different PC as a clean install also using an ISO from MS. No issues with any of those when using the ISO but using the assistant I have never saw it work.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I used the link above and had it put the bootable image on a thumb drive. Worked like a champ

very disappointed with Turn 10 right now. Core 0 at 100%. No SMT optimization and all my other cores are barely used. No wonder people complain about stutter. I had to cap the frame to 60fps to stop the stuttering.

upload_2017-10-7_15-35-47.png

Anyone else getting a major RAM leak when not racing, but browsing cars, tuning cars, painting cars?

Anyone else getting a major RAM leak when not racing, but browsing cars, tuning cars, painting cars?

Yes. Seems to be an ongoing problem. Horizon 3 had this at launch, but they eventually patched it. I don't know if it's related, but the memory leak seems to make the game get stuck on save when painting, customizing, etc. If you've been on the menus too long, or even racing for a while, exit the game and restart it before you do anything else. Or else it will be a guaranteed stuck-on-save, or even a crash.

I haven't checked the ram usage but yes I would assume so as I have had it crash to desktop while browsing wheels and paint colors and have had the hanging save in upgrades, save tune and save paints.

Same here, I never have crashes when racing, it's always when I'm browsing stuff.

very disappointed with Turn 10 right now. Core 0 at 100%. No SMT optimization and all my other cores are barely used. No wonder people complain about stutter. I had to cap the frame to 60fps to stop the stuttering.
Thread Ripper :) That is a serious CPU. I didn't have the cash for that one so settled for the 5 1600. It gets the job done but it is no Thread Ripper.

I'll have to look at what task manager shows. I was running a CPU monitoring program for a while playing Forza 7 to see how the temps were doing on the new system what it showed me as far as CPU load goes was max overall usage was at something like 44% and it showed I think it was 8 of the 12 hitting 100 percent at some point during play though at 44% over all clearly there could not have been more than 4 or 5 of them hitting 100 at any given time.

I'll have a look later at what the performance chart shows on task manager and see if I see the same thing you are there.

Edit: In task manager I see cpu 0 is staying at 100 while the game is idle but when I do something in the game several cores spring into action and cpu 0 shows some drops in usage.

the graph there does not show a very long time period though so if I do not look right away I would see only the one core at 100% but when I looked right after clicking the load race button I saw CPU 0 at 80% at least 3 other CPUs were near 100% and a couple of others up around 40% so the game did seem to be using multiple cores when doing some other than idling.

Edit2:

After starting a race and looking at the CPU graph a couple of times during and then after I can see that while racing I am seeing the one core still at 100 and at least 4 other cores running just about 50% and one or 2 more a bit under 50% and 2 with 0%.

I am thinking based on what I observed that CPU0 is being used as the main game thread and is constantly looking for user input on that thread which pushes the CPU graph to 100 % and pegs in there. The only instance I saw it fall was while it was loading something and input would not accepted.

If that guess is correct then I would think adding a simple Sleep 1ms into the code would drop that graph on CPU0 quite a lot but would likely not increase game performance at all.

Last edited:
Is this game worth buying at all for PC now? I could play Horizon 3 decently on my PC but it seems Forza 7 gives people more problems than Horizon did. I had lots of stuttering in the demo tho which is weird cause Forza Apex just ran fine on my PC. I wanna buy it, but not waste my money not playing it cause of performance issues.

Yes, my 8 gb gets filled up very quick, and then the pagefile keeps rising until it freezes. Even during racing now, could play it ok the first few days.

Is this game worth buying at all for PC now? I could play Horizon 3 decently on my PC but it seems Forza 7 gives people more problems than Horizon did. I had lots of stuttering in the demo tho which is weird cause Forza Apex just ran fine on my PC. I wanna buy it, but not waste my money not playing it cause of performance issues.

I would say it is definitely worth buying for the PC. Yes it has some issues and if you are a painter you may have a different opinion of the seriousness of the issues. I have had it crash while browsing wheels and paints and hang on saving tunes and paints. After lots of laps the graphics start to have some issues or at least for a lot of us but a simple restart of the game solves those. So far I have only had one instance where something happened that may be a big deal. I'm still not sure but it is possible that I lot out on unlocking a car due to a gave hang at the end of a race

I'm still not sure but it is possible that I lot out on unlocking a car due to a gave hang at the end of a race
I had this once too. After quitting the game with ALT-F4 and restarting it I noticed the race rewards (including mods) were on my balance and the next level unlock (cash, car or suit) were waiting for me in the rewards section. YMMV though.

I haven't checked the ram usage but yes I would assume so as I have had it crash to desktop while browsing wheels and paint colors and have had the hanging save in upgrades, save tune and save paints.

While running FM7 on my system, my total ram usage is around 6gb on average; occasionally bumping up to 8gb at most. have 16gb of Corsair vengeance 3000MHz DDR4. I can monitor CPU/RAM/GPU usage and temps on my phone while I play though NZXT Cam.

Only crash I have suffered so far, has been while receiving credits after my second career race; not had one since then thankfully.

While running FM7 on my system, my total ram usage is around 6gb on average; occasionally bumping up to 8gb at most. have 16gb of Corsair vengeance 3000MHz DDR4. I can monitor CPU/RAM/GPU usage and temps on my phone while I play though NZXT Cam.

Only crash I have suffered so far, has been while receiving credits after my second career race; not had one since then thankfully.

I've only looked at the ram usage a few times and never just before a crash. Most of the times I have looked it was around 5gb used. Maybe I'll throw a monitor on it and see if I can make it crash. scrolling back and forth through the wheels or paints seems to trigger a crash pretty quickly.

out of my 16 gigs, I've seen it hit 15 and then promptly exited. Otherwise it will ctd.

Now today the game won't even start. tried 3x just sits on the initial Porsche picture.

I just did a clean restart of the game and pulled up task manage to look at the graph of ram usage.
With Forza running and having did nothing yet it was showing just over 5gb in use
I get in a car, go to upgrades, wheels then click on the first group of wheels and step through them one by one when I get to the end I backed up and looked at the ram usage now 8gb Same for the next group of wheels now 10gb and after the 3rd group 11.5gb and that memory does not seem to be released until the program is closed. When I backed up out of the upgrades section to the main menu it now shows 11.7gb in use. now mind you this is total system ram in use. The actual Forza process says it is only using 8.9gb

I shut down Forza the system ram usage drops to 2gb, restart Forza and is back at 5gb Forza Process is showing 3gb in use.

So it is pretty clear that clicking through wheels eats up a bit of your available ram with each click and that ram is not available later. I am pretty sure paints do this also. Once the ram available gets to low the system will crash. Since I have 16gb I was able to browse every wheel once but for users that have only 8 trying to do that would very likely crash before they get half way through them all.

It would be advisable that if you are looking at wheels to restart the game after wards before you do anything else, same with paints assuming of course it does not crash while you are doing so;) trying to race after doing much of this especially if you have less than 16gb ram in your system may very well lead to issues.

out of my 16 gigs, I've seen it hit 15 and then promptly exited. Otherwise it will ctd.

Now today the game won't even start. tried 3x
I just did a clean restart of the game and pulled up task manage to look at the graph of ram usage.
With Forza running and having did nothing yet it was showing just over 5gb in use
I get in a car, go to upgrades, wheels then click on the first group of wheels and step through them one by one when I get to the end I backed up and looked at the ram usage now 8gb Same for the next group of wheels now 10gb and after the 3rd group 11.5gb and that memory does not seem to be released until the program is closed. When I backed up out of the upgrades section to the main menu it now shows 11.7gb in use. now mind you this is total system ram in use. The actual Forza process says it is only using 8.9gb

I shut down Forza the system ram usage drops to 2gb, restart Forza and is back at 5gb Forza Process is showing 3gb in use.

So it is pretty clear that clicking through wheels eats up a bit of your available ram with each click and that ram is not available later. I am pretty sure paints do this also. Once the ram available gets to low the system will crash. Since I have 16gb I was able to browse every wheel once but for users that have only 8 trying to do that would very likely crash before they get half way through them all.

It would be advisable that if you are looking at wheels to restart the game after wards before you do anything else, same with paints assuming of course it does not crash while you are doing so;) trying to race after doing much of this especially if you have less than 16gb ram in your system may very well lead to issues.

FM7 is constipated. Requires medical help.

I haven't made any changes to my setup, but the stutter has suddely gotten much, much worse. To the point where the game is unplayable. And yes, I've switched of all unneccessary apps, overclocking tools, Windows Game mode etc.

I haven't made any changes to my setup, but the stutter has suddely gotten much, much worse. To the point where the game is unplayable. And yes, I've switched of all unneccessary apps, overclocking tools, Windows Game mode etc.

It's so annoying because the game is soooo good when it works. Sort of glad i'm not alone though.

I've been seeing some stutters as well, sometimes slight, sometimes more intense. Last night for the first time it crashed while racing. I did not know what happened at first. One minute I am cruising around the track just fine and the next my tv says no signal. after a few seconds I see the PC is restarting. Once it booted up I went into event viewer and saw that there was a BSOD condition. Seems to have been caused by a FFB module. I saw two errors there with something related to FFB as the source at roughly the same time [just an instance before] as the BSOD.

What I find disturbing is that there's no way Microsoft/Turn 10 didn't know, that they were bringing out a broken PC game a long time before release. Are they ever going to fix these problems? Right now, the only word going through my head is "Refund", since I paid a huge premium for the Digital Deluxe version.

Back