Forza Motorsport 7: PC performance

• Thread starter Sprocket
  • 128 comments
"Learn from your mistakes" no? Ok
I think it's more a matter of Playground having fixed it in their FH3 branch, and T10 (who were working on FM7 in parallel) haven't applied this particular fix in the FM7 branch yet. Silly, but stuff happens. Merging things back is not always trivial, especially with a huge code base.

I think it's more a matter of Playground having fixed it in their FH3 branch, and T10 (who were working on FM7 in parallel) haven't applied this particular fix in the FM7 branch yet. Silly, but stuff happens. Merging things back is not always trivial, especially with a huge code base.
Yeah that makes sense.

edit: I just played a bit and it was working ok, so I thought I would go for 50 laps of Indy. So I loaded up some Mods I just purchased and started the race. The first 30 laps was no problem. After that the stands started blinking, then the walls, then the track itself. On lap 48 it froze and quit.

Last edited:
Heads up that Nvidia has brought out a second “game ready” driver update which includes FM7.
I assume that is the one they released yesterday. If so that is the one I was using yesterday, no changes with the missing textures.

I think the stutter is a result of Windows 10 Creator update. Even MS admitted it that there was an issue. in 2 weeks times, there are releasing Fall creator update and most insider says the issue is resolved. That being said, it won't fix the memory leak the game has. I will stay away from Forza 7 PC for now.

I assume that is the one they released yesterday. If so that is the one I was using yesterday, no changes with the missing textures.

I think missing textures is a RAM issue. It acts the same way as the wheel scrolling, it gets worse and worse until it crashes.

I think missing textures is a RAM issue. It acts the same way as the wheel scrolling, it gets worse and worse until it crashes.

It is an issue for sure but not the same. It is easy to see the ram leak from scrolling through wheels but in the case of the disappearing textures the ram usage is still within reason. Usually around 5gb where as I have saw it go well past 5gb right away when scrolling through wheels and on up to near 9gb after scrolling through all of them once.

I have monitored the vRam but have never saw it go much above 3600mb total usage and given that my card is 4gb that still leaves a bit over 400mb free and should not be causing an issue. Could be different for those with 2gb cards

I am getting pretty good performance out of it now, better than with the older drivers or so it seems according to the benchmark in game. Of course the first patch did something to the benchmark and I had not ran the benchmark since the patch. I think they mentioned something about the min frames showing incorrectly or something like that. All I know for sure is that when locked at 60fps it used to say min 34fps and now says min 59fps before avg was 59 and max just over 60 now avg is just over 60 and max is slightly more over 60 so basically according to the benchmark it is running 59-60 fps all of the time.

I just ran the Lemans 250. Paused it a few times at various points the actual race took over 1 1/2 hour running in Windowed mode with my modified settings and the new driver I did not notice a single stutter at any point during the race, also no missing textures. This was the first time I drove Lemans more than one lap so not sure what it would have done before but on this race it was quite good.

On another note there must have been a lot of xp for that one. I was beginning to wonder if it was going to stop leveling up after the race. I wasn't counting but it was at least 4 levels maybe 6 or 7. It just kept going :)

Last edited:
It is an issue for sure but not the same. It is easy to see the ram leak from scrolling through wheels but in the case of the disappearing textures the ram usage is still within reason. Usually around 5gb where as I have saw it go well past 5gb right away when scrolling through wheels and on up to near 9gb after scrolling through all of them once.

I have monitored the vRam but have never saw it go much above 3600mb total usage and given that my card is 4gb that still leaves a bit over 400mb free and should not be causing an issue. Could be different for those with 2gb cards
I have a 3gb card. I raced for about 20 min before the textures started blinking. I didn't have any monitoring at that time. Is there any track that is extra textture heavy to trigger this?

Maybe it's triggered at higher speeds.

It is noticeable sooner at higher speeds for sure, but happens at lower speeds as well.
About 25 laps on Indy in a really fast car like the Indy car and there starts to be an issue, much over that the road starts to disappear

I have a 3gb card. I raced for about 20 min before the textures started blinking. I didn't have any monitoring at that time. Is there any track that is extra textture heavy to trigger this?

I have an MSI GTX780 Twin Frozr OC with 3gb of Vram, not had an issue with this personally. What GPU are you using? Have you made sure your GPU cooling is clean and free of anything that could hamper it (dust on fans, debris build up in water blocks if you watercool)? Make sure to check temps, just on the off chance your GPU is overheating; which will cause it to thermal throttle and slow down the card.

It is a known issue with the game, at least the PC version of it. Hopefully they will fix it soon.
If you restart often it does not happen. It does not as often on some tracks as others but if you play long enough it seems to happen pretty much anywhere.

I've personally only experienced it on Daytona, Indy and Bathhurst

At one point I thought maybe it was the nVidia drivers but I see that ATI users are having the same issue as well and it seems to be happening across a wide range of GPUs

I have an MSI GTX780 Twin Frozr OC with 3gb of Vram, not had an issue with this personally. What GPU are you using? Have you made sure your GPU cooling is clean and free of anything that could hamper it (dust on fans, debris build up in water blocks if you watercool)? Make sure to check temps, just on the off chance your GPU is overheating; which will cause it to thermal throttle and slow down the card.
Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060

I did the 50 lap race on Indy again with monitoring this time. It is not the RAM, that's for sure. I don't know about GPU since it seems that memory was almost maxed out the entire race.

16 GB RAM
GTX 1060 3 GB

(Temp in degrees Celcius, critical at around 90, RAM in GB)

Before launching Forza
Temp 32
vRAM 0.2
RAM 2.2

Race Start
Temp 40
vRAM 2.8
RAM 7.2

Lap 5
Temp 38
vRAM 2.8
RAM 7.8

Finish
Temp 37
vRAM 2.9
RAM 8.0

During the race the numbers don't move much at all. The temp stayed between 37 and 41. The RAM and vRAM slowly climbed around 150 MB each.

The issues I had.

Lap 23 I saw the first blinking stands in turn 1. Probably wouldn't even notice it if I wasn't looking for it. But it gradually became worse.
Lap 38 The first wall blinked. This also got gradually worse of course.
Lap 43 The first track part blinked. At this point I was driving around in a disco. Blinking stuff everywhere.
Lap 50 FINISH! It didn't freeze this time! :) But this is what the final straight towards the finish line looked like. Notice there are no walls in sight and missing stands to the left. No track part missing in this picture though.

forza-bug.png

Yep, been there ;) I limit my races on Indy now to 25 laps max if I even go there at all and 50 on Daytona. Of the ovals Homestead is the only one I have found that you could do more than 1 50 lap race without missing textures. Indy gets pretty tough when the track start to vanish, mostly because it always seems to vanish just where you enter the first corner which may very well be the hardest of the 4.

My vRam generally shows between 3.2 and 3.6 in use before and after the issue I monitored it closely a few times but it seemed to vary a bit when there were no problems and when there were, did not see any connection. Also GPU never got hot and never hit more than 44% load on it. PCars 2 gives it much more of a workout but no such problems in that one.

It is also happening to people with 6gb vram and non nVidia cards. Not sure if it happens on xbox or not but may fire it up tomorrow and find out. Just not sure I can stomach that many laps with a controller :( I guess I could hook up the wheel but don't really have anywhere to mount it unless I remove the Fanatec and that isn't likely to happen.

If I manage a test on the XB1 I will post the results

Last edited:
The new nvidia drivers got rid of some of the stutter I was having. I only did a 3 min test though. I will try some more this week. Also benchmark test ran at solid 60 fps. Gpu usage : 35%.

After the last game update I started the off roader race and saw some major stuttering early on. happened like 3 times in a row. Looked like the game was going to freeze. Prior to the patch I had ran the Lemans 250 I did not notice any stuttering. I'll have to check and see if my settings changed when the update installed.

Whenever I start a race I have a 50/50 coinflip on whether I actually finish the race or not. The game will not let up on crashing to the desktop. Here is how the game works for me

Enter Championship
Complete race 1
Do a couple of laps of race 2
*crash*
Start race 2 again
Finish race 2
Start race 3
*crash*
Start race 3
Finish Race 3
*crash*
Start Race 4
*crash*
Start Race 4
Finish Race 4
Start Race 5
*crash*
Start Race 5
Finish Race 5
Complete championship
Buy car with new money
*crash*

Literally crashed to desktop 6 times in just over an hour today. How is this even acceptable?

Whenever I start a race I have a 50/50 coinflip on whether I actually finish the race or not. ......
Literally crashed to desktop 6 times in just over an hour today. How is this even acceptable?

What kind of system specs do you have where you are running the game? I have saw it crash only a few times and only once while racing which turned out not to be the games fault in that case the system blue screened after looking into it it seemed to be the FFB driver that crashed because Windows put the USB port in sleep mode while I was racing. I disabled the ability for Windows to do this and so far no more issues related to the FFB fault.

What kind of system specs do you have where you are running the game? I have saw it crash only a few times and only once while racing which turned out not to be the games fault in that case the system blue screened after looking into it it seemed to be the FFB driver that crashed because Windows put the USB port in sleep mode while I was racing. I disabled the ability for Windows to do this and so far no more issues related to the FFB fault.

I have quite a beefy pc so I shouldn't be having problems. I'm running 75fps consistently until the crashes
a6d2a65b9da821e2bdb452bfbbcdde9b.png

Yep that should be more than enough to get good performance in the game for sure.

In career mode I had it hang at the end of one championship after I had ran I don't know 20 or so races without a problem in that session. The last lap of the last race started having issues. Track disappeared just before I got to the last 1/2 mile or so of the track, managed to finish but when clicked continue to get to the podium screen it just went blank and stayed that way.

Are you just restarting and going straight to the races when you have the crashes or are you doing some other stuff before you get to the race where the crash occurs? Do you use rewind?

Are you running any other software in the background that may be causing an issue?

Finally finished downloading FM7.

My experience so far:

Controller not recognized. It's admittedly a DualShock 4 being spoofed as an Xbox controller via DS4Windows, but still it should work. Works fine with Forza Horizon 3. Changing a DS4Windows setting to disable the DualShock 4 so that it's only seen as an Xbox controller got it to work temporarily... very, very temporarily... I was literally only able to move over one menu item before it stopped responding, and I could never get it working again after that. (On second thought, the controller cable probably just bumped my mouse then :lol:)

Mouse and keyboard controls for navigating the menu are super flaky. Menu options are flickering like crazy when I try to mouse over things, almost seems like some scaling issue or something... but my monitor scale is at 100% so that shouldn't be an issue. Some keys work consistently (arrow keys, for instance), some keys consistently don't (Such as [ and ] to tab between different menu sections), and some keys work intermittently (like R for options).

Finally, plugged in my CSR wheel. Alright, finally I was able to navigate menus reliably. Button prompts were still for keyboard controls, but I was able to find my way around regardless. With how troublesome controller and mouse/keyboard controls worked, the wheel worked surprisingly well. I even got to do a few races. The only oddity I noticed was that pause was mapped to one of the orange buttons rather than the start button.

Performance was... playable. Not stellar, there was some pretty glaring hiccups in performance. Settings-wise, I left everything set to dynamic and was running at 2560x1080 on a GTX 1080 and a 4930k with 64 GB of RAM. My drivers admittedly weren't the most up to date ones, so I'll report back later after I rectify that.

Finally, plugged in my CSR wheel. Alright, finally I was able to navigate menus reliably. Button prompts were still for keyboard controls, but I was able to find my way around regardless. With how troublesome controller and mouse/keyboard controls worked, the wheel worked surprisingly well. I even got to do a few races. The only oddity I noticed was that pause was mapped to one of the orange buttons rather than the start button.
Yep button mapping is a little odd for the CSR.

I went under button assignments and set the pause and change view to the two black buttons one either side of the LED display. Also the auto clutch did not work at first. I mapped the A button to the clutch so now the auto clutch works but the clutch peddle does not. Guess when I want to use the pedal I will have to remap.

In case you haven't gotten the buttons down yet A=Enter, B=ESC, Y=R and X=F analog stick for telemetry and not sure about all of the red ones yet.

Finally finished downloading FM7.

My experience so far:

Controller not recognized. It's admittedly a DualShock 4 being spoofed as an Xbox controller via DS4Windows, but still it should work. Works fine with Forza Horizon 3. Changing a DS4Windows setting to disable the DualShock 4 so that it's only seen as an Xbox controller got it to work temporarily... very, very temporarily... I was literally only able to move over one menu item before it stopped responding, and I could never get it working again after that.

Mouse and keyboard controls for navigating the menu are super flaky. Menu options are flickering like crazy when I try to mouse over things, almost seems like some scaling issue or something... but my monitor scale is at 100% so that shouldn't be an issue. Some keys work consistently (arrow keys, for instance), some keys consistently don't (Such as [ and ] to tab between different menu sections), and some keys work intermittently (like R for options).

Performance was... playable. Not stellar, there was some pretty glaring hiccups in performance. Settings-wise, I left everything set to dynamic and was running at 2560x1080 on a GTX 1080 and a 4930k with 64 GB of RAM. My drivers admittedly weren't the most up to date ones, so I'll report back later after I rectify that.
I play with DS4 aswell. I sometimes need to remove it from the control panel, unplug it, start up DS4win and then plug in the controller again. If you get the flashing between (A) and Enter when pressing buttons, open up DS4win and uncheck Hide and check it again. I play via USB.

Back