Four By Four, Monsters, and Off-road.

• Thread starter Jim Prower
  • 863 comments
Yeah, some of the Ford truck groups on Facebook. Think that came from the OBS 80-97 page.

@Slash I see. And I managed to google search one of the images I sent before and get me awesome stuff. Incomiiing!

c2d8f0dfdc3ae9fde83a1c435b367bb8.jpg

jeep-in-mud-pit.jpg

Cooper_Day_2_053.jpg

131_1009_04_o%2B131_1009_jeep_wrangler_yj%2Bfront_driver_side_mud.jpg

jeep_mud.jpg

131_0910_12_z+penns_creek_mud_bog+4x4_jeep.jpg

131_0605_04_z%2B1972_chevy_blazer%2Bfront_view_mud.jpg

And the two best ones I found.
jeep-in-mud-at-RYC1.jpg

810288-mud-racing.jpg

Sorry, no ford here! But still, Jesus. I'm back baby!

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. The "Chain link" 4x4. This thing took over 3000 hours and 3 years total to build. There are no axles on this truck. Each wheel is connected to a giant swing arm with a piston. This allows each tire to move up 7 feet up or down. This suspension allow the vehicle to remain almost completely flat over almost any obstacle, as well as each tire to keep nearly complete contact with the ground. There is coil spring and shock suspension as well. The driver can also control the pistons and directly control the suspension. Each wheel is driven by a chain, like a motorcycle.

Specs
Engine is a fuel injected Ford 5.0 V8 out of a '93 Cobra Mustang, c4 transmission out of an early Bronco. 9" w/ 5.38 gears and ARB air locker mounted in the center (below driver) running chain gears on the ends where the swing arms pivot. Swing arms are hydraulically controlled individually or together, and there is coil spring and shock suspension as well. Large chains running inside the swing arms turn hummer gear reduction (2:1) hubs at each wheel. Tires are 39.5". The steering is linked through the swing arms as well and the steering box is mounted just in front of the axle below the driver. Body construction is steel tubing (mostly DOM) and the total weight is 5900 LB..

Gotta love CJs. I could have sworn that I posted my dad's CJ7 here a while ago, but I must not have since I couldn't find pictures of it on here for some reason.

I'd forgotten this thread existed.

A classic car magazine Facebook page I follow recently posted asking whether the first-gen Suzuki Vitara (Escudo/Sidekick, depending on where you live) can yet be considered a classic. It is of course a car from 1988, one year before the Mazda MX-5 arrived, and classic car mags in the UK have rightly started featuring those since they're over 25 years old now.

In response, someone asked whether people actually use them for offroading, or whether the "hairdresser" image remains. I'd not really thought about it, but I did find these when looking for offroading pics:

3785382785_6b2af748b2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ad8896_img7877_large.jpg

file_422840_phpp0etbV.jpg

radkick.jpg

4696685953_b7f89e089f.jpg

I'd say it's earning its keep. Suppose it has the same qualities as other off-road biased Suzukis past and present - short wheelbase, tough mechanicals, and light weight. The fact they cost sod all to buy and run probably helps too.

That first one looks like a badass baja basher. I like it, and I dont usually like Toyota trucks, at least the new ones.

Back