Fridays SHELBY v CHEVY Season 2 untuned 20:30-21:30 BST- FINAL ROUND (12) - Mar 31stFinished 

It's going to take a while to get used to the extreme toe-out of the Jaguar, but the Cobra felt very nice.

Speaking of Jaguar, would it be okay to use the chromeline version, as it matches the Cobra livery better? I noticed that it has one PP less than the normal version.

It's going to take a while to get used to the extreme toe-out of the Jaguar, but the Cobra felt very nice.

Speaking of Jaguar, would it be okay to use the chromeline version, as it matches the Cobra livery better? I noticed that it has one PP less than the normal version.

If you have a Chromeline XJ13 already, by all means try it on the comfort soft tyres and use it if you find it faster or it suits your driving style better. I tested the Chromeline version and for me it was slower and more difficult to control so if you haven't already got one (or lots of spare credits) give it a miss.

Team Chevrolet drivers can opt to use a Z06 Corvetter Race Car 1963 in place of a Jaguar XJ13 if they wish - anyone planning to do this please let me know asap.

Team Shelby drivers can opt to use a Cobra Chromeline in place of a Jaguar XJ13 if they wish - anyone planning to do this please let me know asap.

Round 0 Slide 1.jpg
Round 0 Slide 2.jpg

The Test Round 0 was very successful. The cars were well matched and Harsk, who won all four test races, produced virtually identical times in his Jaguar XJ13 and Art Morrison Corvette. There were some interesting variations with IfAndOr producing an outstanding result in his XJ13 while some struggled with this car.

There were some incorrect colours on the Team Shelby Cobra's - embarrassingly including your Host Sick Cylinder - I have several versions of the car and I hadn't noticed that the one I had painted had the bumpers removed and therefore wasn't allowed in the room - note removed bumpers are not allowed in a tuning prohibited room as they count as aero modifications.

All Team Shelby drivers please refer to the following guide:

Team Shelby Colours.jpg

A small number of drivers (including Sick Cylinder) will be allowed to run their Cobras as Allen Grant replicas in Daytona Yellow - for information on Allen Grant and his famous yellow Cobra named "The Executor" refer to the first few posts of the thread.

All Team Chevrolet Drivers please refer to the following guide:

Team Chevrolet Colours.jpg

The Test Round showed that we have too many dark coloured cars on the grid therefore I have withdrawn the Forest Green colour from Team Chevrolet. Please refer to the revised colour charts below: NB all Team Chevrolet Jaguar XJ13's are Garnet Red and fitted with a race number Type A, Font A. The Art Morrison Corvette cannot be numbered so all are given a different colour as detailed in the following guidance.

All Team Shelby Jaguar XJ13's are painted Guardsman Blue with a race number Type A, Font A. Cobra Chromelines are painted Guardsman Blue except a small number of Allen Grant replicas which are painted Daytona Yellow - race numbers as usual are Type A, Font A.

All cars have stock wheels except the Art Morrison Corvette which uses American Racing VN500.

Driver Names S1 051016.jpg

Driver Names S2 051016.jpg

Last edited:
I have practised yesterday and my lap time was 1'31.5. 👍

However, I think that it isn't good enough because I'm very sure that some of you guys will reach around 1'30.8's. I'll practice tommorrow afternoon and tuesday. :cheers:

If you buy the Cobra with stripes you do NOT get the paint chip! So I had to buy another, without the stripes. Cr.1.6mil to paint a car might be why some cars were the wrong colour? :lol:

Champagne Gold Metallic appears right at the top of the GT Auto list. Even though there are a set of golds at the end of the yellow section.

Guardsman Blue also in the Metallic section, this time at the bottom of the blue section.

Garnet Red is in Solid at the end of the red section.

Hope it helps others with hundreds of paint chips.

Last edited:
If you buy the Cobra with stripes you do NOT get the paint chip!

This is a great point made by Ben - so a big thank you! I checked this on my spare account this morning and can confirm that if you buy a Cobra with white stripes you don't get a paint chip - you only get a paint chip if you buy a Cobra without stripes. The Chromeline Cobra only comes in the wrong shade of blue! If anyone is low on credits and struggling to buy the extra Cobra to get the paint chip please contact me about running the low cost option Allen Grant replica paint scheme. Also if you can't afford a Jaguar XJ13 (20m credits) there are alternative cars - again please contact me regarding alternatives.

There is one vacant slot remaining for this series - if you are thinking of joining - hurry because when it's gone it's gone!

Updated Colour and Number Guidance for Season 1
Driver Names S1 051016.jpg

Round 1 Laguna Seca Preview

Laguna Seca on 20th October 1963 was the scene of one of Dave MacDonald's greatest ever victories - the Monterey Pacific Grand Prix. A fancy title befitting one of America's most prestigious races which featured the world's best drivers in the world's best cars. Shortly before, Dave had already won the Los Angeles Times Grand Prix at Riverside - lapping the entire field and in the process announcing himself on the world stage as one of the finest drivers of his era.

This video, with great period commentary, captures the spirit of that Laguna Seca victory perfectly and features a post race interview with Dave during which we learn that he reached 145mph during the race - will we reach 145mph tonight on the downhill before the turn one hairpin during our recreation of that famous race?

The Shelby "King Cobra" / Cooper Monaco

Earlier this year I snapped these shots in the paddock at Brands Hatch of a 1958 four cylinder Coventry Climax powered Cooper Monaco - they give you a good insight into what lies under the skin.

Carroll Shelby bought six of these obsolete cars from Cooper and re-engineered them to accept the 4.7 litre Ford V8. With the help of Dave MacDonald who was an expert mechanic and car developer and the rest of his superb team Shelby turned an obsolete car into the "King Cobra" - a car which briefly dominated big capacity sports car racing and lifted the 1964 United States Road Racing Championship.

Below note the transverse leaf spring rear suspension which was a feature of Cooper designs.

Slide 1 CM.jpg

Slide 2 CM.jpg

Above the car was laid out with little or no thought to driver safety - the pedal area looks especially vulnerable. Advice to drivers of this period was to brake until the last moment and then pull the feet back as close to the chest as possible - Masten Gregory (known as "The Kansas City Flash") became famous for his habit of bailing out of cars just before the moment of impact!

Below a rare sight - ex-Dave MacDonald "King Cobra" being warmed up on a public road - note the zoomie style open headers - a common feature of American V8 race cars of this period:

Last edited:
Hi everybody, looking forward to today's races! I just noticed i'm in Team Chevy twice. I have the XJ13, the Z06 and the AM Vette available. @Sick Cylinder, can you tell me the car and paint to use for the first rounds? Thanks! :)

Hi everybody, looking forward to today's races! I just noticed i'm in Team Chevy twice. I have the XJ13, the Z06 and the AM Vette available. @Sick Cylinder, can you tell me the car and paint to use for the first rounds? Thanks! :)

You are in Team Chevy for season 1 and starting with the Corvette Z06 Race Car (not paintable) Sports Medium tyres 536bhp. In Season 2 (after Christmas) you are in Team Shelby.

I'd just noticed that I might have a chance to switch from the Jag to the cobra. If I can still do that I would like to...

No problem - Paint your Cobra Daytona Yellow (a Chevrolet Colour obtained by buying a Z28 Camaro 1969) and fit race number 95. Limit to 475bhp on Sports Medium for rounds 1-6 (Rounds 7-12 increase to 516bhp).

Fantastic fun race yesterday.

@Sick Cylinder you've really done your work.
The AM corvette handled amazingly and was beautiful around the corners. It just lost out in straight line speed (and my skill level:dopey:) but that's what made the racing so much fun.
Also amazing battle with many but esp. you Sick. I thought you'd get me those last few laps as I kept making mistakes as the tyres started to ware.
This is going to be a great championship.

:cheers:

I think Sick that Tarnheld means that he his listed twice in team Chevy with the Z06 and the AM.

Thanks - IfAndOr - I missed that - I have to wear reading glasses and sometimes they don't do their job!

It's all good, Z06 it is, Sick can fix the double entry later. See you on track real soon! :cheers:

I will fix it in time for the next round, but now we have another pressing problem:

Zolon has left the Friday series and joined the Wednesday series, which gives us a big hole in the Shelby Team lineup. My proposal is that Tarnheld takes over Zolon's car (in Team Shelby) with effect from round 2 and @Flaco13 takes over Tarnheld's Corvette Z06 with effect from round 2. This would give us a Z06 on the grid which is important for the look of the series and would balance the number of Cooper Monaco replicas i.e. 2 Guardsman Blue Cooper Fords and 2 Garnet Red Cooper Chevrolets - the replay / photos looked a bit lacking in balance.

Talking of photos - please can I remind you all that with this selection of cars with their mostly open cockpits your driver is highly visible - to get that original look (and hence the best possible publicity photos) please change into one of the six classic outfits listed.

Also there were some strange wheels on some of the cars - please stick with the stock wheels on all the cars except the Art Morrison Corvette which should have unpainted VN500.

Race Report, Championship Points and Photos will follow on Tuesday. I really enjoyed the race - one of the most enjoyable I have had - I was battling throughout the race with IfAndOr and Sutsagrd, but mostly Sutsagrd - Tarnheld was tantalisingly close at times. My car had an advantage in mid-range acceleration over the Art Morrison Corvette, but much poorer brakes. Sutsagrd was driving really well and sometimes leaving tyre smoke which looked spectacular. His car looked perfect - just a shame that Polyphony Digital wont let us fit a race number to the AM Corvette. It would be even better if they extended the number range to include 0 and 00. Dave MacDonald used the number 00 when he raced for "Don Steves Chevrolet" before he was snapped up by the Shelby Team. Another of the worlds greatest drivers also started his career with the number 00 - Mark Donoghue.

This is the car which inspired the paint choice on Sutsagrd's C1 Corvette - the Hollywood Motors car:

Last edited:
please change into one of the six classic outfits listed
Oops sorry Sick, I think that might include me. I'd just at the last moment bought another Cobra* to get the guardsman blue that I forgot to check my attire. I'm not sure what my avatar was wearing actually. And possibly my wheels even.

I had quite a good overall race, although I had a poor start due to me accidentally knocking the manual shifter into 4th gear when returning to my desk!
Shame the Cobra brakes are a bit weak I did overshoot here and there.

Hope I didn't cause Suts to go off on the corner before the incline. We were side by side and then he was in the sand!

* I'll send you the invoice. ;)

Last edited:
Round 1 in pictures

Below main picture there were plenty of close battles throughout the field - here the factory Cobras of IfAndOr and Richroo battle with the Allen Grant replica (Yellow) of Sick Cylinder and the Art Morrison C1 Corvette of Sutsagrd while ahread of them the C2 Z06 Corvette of Tarnheld battles with Simba Lora in the Cooper Chevy replica (Jag XJ13).

Below small picture Harsk in Cooper Chevy (44) leads Pimiki (54) in the Cooper Ford Dave MacDonald Replica (note it should be 98). In this race Harsk scored the win, but back in October 1963 Dave MacDonald scored a Historic victory in car 98 in the Monterey Pacific Grand Prix at Laguna Seca. This series which included the LA Times Grand Prix at Riverside, the Players 200 at Saint Jovite, Canada and the Stardust Grand Prix in Las Vegas gradually developed into the famous Can Am Series in 1966 (Canadian American Challenge Series). The best drivers from F1, Indy, Nascar and Sports Car racing were tempted by the big prize money on offer and the races conveniently took place after the F1 season had ended.

Slide 1.jpg
Slide 4.jpg

Above main picture Harsk was on form and eventually pulled a gap on second placed Pimiki. Above the midfield runners thread round turn one. Sick has misjudged his braking and slid wide in the Allen Grant replica (Yellow) Cobra.

Below Sick Cylinder got a blistering start, blasting off the line only to find that IfAndOr had slipped out of gear and was stationery! Heavy braking and a swerve to the left avoided an accident, but lost two places first to Richroo's factory Cobra and then Sutsagrd's Corvette C1.

Slide 3.jpg

Below beautiful machinery in action: Tarnheld in Z06 C2 Corvette approaches the hairpin, Zeus in Allen Grant replica Cobra descends the Corkscrew, Sutsagrd in C1 Corvette bursts through the Cobras.

Slide 2.jpg

Below Note revised (Final) car sheet - changes are minimal and just affect Tarnheld - who has been poached by Carroll Shelby and Flaco who has switched to a Z06 Corvette for Rounds 2-6.

Next Round 2 from Deep Forest (Forward) - we still have a slot available if you want to join us!

Round 1 in pictures continued...

SvC Slide 1.jpg

Above and below Cobras battle Corvettes as they did across America in the early 1960's.

SvC Slide 2.jpg

SvC Slide 3.jpg

Above our Cooper Chevrolet replica (Jaguar XJ13) - Cooper chassised cars competed with Ford, Chevrolet and Oldsmobile engines in the early 1960's. The Ford powered Cooper Monaco based Shelby "King Cobra" taking the USRRC title in 1964.

Below the "Zerex Special" Cooper Oldsmobile was raced by Bruce McLaren and Roger Penske.

SvC Slide 4.jpg

Round 2 Tonight from Deep Forest (Forward)

Last edited:
Looks like I won't make this round, again. We are just about to start cooking stir fry to eat in front of some wind-down TV.

As it's her place and her TV, what can I do? Get my own place again? 💡

#FirstWorldProblems

Back