Fridays SHELBY v CHEVY Season 2 untuned 20:30-21:30 BST- FINAL ROUND (12) - Mar 31stFinished 

Round 3 Apricot Hill (100% Wet - use race heavy wet tyres)

Note - round 3 is our one wet round out of 12 - you will need to purchase racing heavy wet tyres before entering the room. Please be patient and take your time to pass as spray will make visibility difficult. A wide track was selected for our wet round which was inspired by historic wet races held at Sebring and Nassau in the early 1960's.

Room Settings are as follows:
Weather 100%
Surface Water 100%
Weather Changeability 0.
Time 12:00.
Time Progression 1.
Tyres: No Limit - this enables you to fit racing wet tyres.

Meeting Schedule
Room opens: 20:25 - 20:30
10 Minute Qualification Race: 20:40
25 Minute Feature race: 20:55

Please arrive on time and with your car ready to race - note you may need to enter setup to fit the racing wet tyres. If you are running late please enter at 20:50 so that you can start the Feature Race from the back of the grid.

In future I will not restart the qualification race (unless there are exceptional circumstances such as a mass disconnection). I will give a 2 minutes to start message and a 1 minute to start message then click start at 20:40 for the qualification race and 20:55 for the feature race.

Drivers who exit the meeting before the start of the Feature Race will not be awarded points. If you exit the meeting during the Feature Race you will receive disconnection points. If you park in the gravel or retire to the pits you will receive the points for the place which the game awards.

Good luck to all and remember we will be back to normal dry racing next week with our normal room settings. In 1965 at Sebring the Pit Lane was flooded and one car (a Bizzarini) struck a post and snapped in half just behind the drivers seat - hopefully your sitting rooms will remain dry even though the track will be 100% wet!

Just a quick reminder to everyone that it will be wet today - good luck to all in the race this evening!

In 1964 Dave MacDonald struggled with the heat and burnt his feet on the pedals - ouch! In this clip you see Phil Remington cutting holes in the roof of Dave's GT class winning Cobra Coupe - Sebring 1964.

Be prepared for lots of fog. It can be hard to see where the track is sometimes and you may get disoriented. I did a practice race in arcade mode and I actually drove onto the grass once by mistake while trying to overtake another car.

Edit: What grip reduction setting are we using?

Last edited:
Be prepared for lots of fog. It can be hard to see where the track is sometimes and you may get disoriented. I did a practice race in arcade mode and I actually drove onto the grass once by mistake while trying to overtake another car.

Edit: What grip reduction setting are we using?

Real.

Note to all - the driving line is available to use if you wish - I know real men don't use it, but I did on Wednesday as I don't know the track at all well. .

Apricot Hill Raceway_3.jpg Apricot Hill Raceway_4.jpg

Attachments

• Apricot Hill Raceway_3.jpg
    Apricot Hill Raceway_3.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Apricot Hill Raceway_4.jpg
    Apricot Hill Raceway_4.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Apricot Hill Raceway_5.jpg
    Apricot Hill Raceway_5.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 15
  • Apricot Hill Raceway_6.jpg
    Apricot Hill Raceway_6.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Apricot Hill Raceway_5.jpg
    Apricot Hill Raceway_5.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 15
  • Apricot Hill Raceway_6.jpg
    Apricot Hill Raceway_6.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 14
AM Corvette is supposed to have tyre stagger to make it turn. It is also supposed to have tyres 2 or 3 grades softer than the Jaguar. (C3 on Jag versus S3+S2 on AM Corvette.)

With everyone on Heavy Wet tyres front and rear, the tyre compound balancing was removed. So drivers in my class were handicapped about 10 seconds per lap at Round 3, Apricot Hill - Wet.

There is no wet race in part 2 of the series. How will this single round tyre handicap be balanced out? :confused:

C3 tyres are pretty good in wet, better than S1, maybe it would have been suitable for the Jag. W+IM tyre stagger for the AM would probably spin out in the 'puddles' GT6 simulates at random intervals.

Not sure what to suggest.

AM Corvette is supposed to have tyre stagger to make it turn. It is also supposed to have tyres 2 or 3 grades softer than the Jaguar. (C3 on Jag versus S3+S2 on AM Corvette.)

With everyone on Heavy Wet tyres front and rear, the tyre compound balancing was removed. So drivers in my class were handicapped about 10 seconds per lap at Round 3, Apricot Hill - Wet.

There is no wet race in part 2 of the series. How will this single round tyre handicap be balanced out? :confused:

C3 tyres are pretty good in wet, better than S1, maybe it would have been suitable for the Jag. W+IM tyre stagger for the AM would probably spin out in the 'puddles' GT6 simulates at random intervals.

Not sure what to suggest.

Some very good points there Ben. When I designed the series it was anticipated that all the fastest drivers would be in the same car at the same time (Platinum and Gold License drivers in the Jaguar XJ13) so having just one wet round per season would not have been a problem. Also lap time differences in testing when use racing wet tyres were much smaller than in the actual race. You started the series as a Silver driver, but are really too fast for your group of drivers and will therefore be promoted to Gold so that you can race with the other fast drivers in the same cars.

In view of the points which you have raised I have made the following changes to the series with immediate effect:

The Season 1 Track List has been amended to include two wet races (the night race has been deleted).
The Season 2 Track List has been amended to include two night races (the wet race has been deleted).

@BenMillard has been promoted to a Gold License. Ben - you will need to switch to either a Garnet Red Jaguar XJ13 race number 49 (or a Corvette Z06 Race Car 1963) for rounds 4-6. If you use this car again for the wet Round 10 while the other Gold and Platinum drivers are using their Cobras or Corvettes it will balance out the wet weather points opportunities.

@Pimasz I have noticed that Pimiki has been using number 54 on his Jaguar XJ13 - as our most successful driver you were selected to drive the Dave MacDonald replica number 98, therefore please race with number 98 on your Jaguar. Number 54 is fine for your Toyota 2000GT.

Round 3 from Apricot Hill
I really enjoyed the Qualifying race and the Feature race even though my lap times were slow compared with other drivers and my final placings were low. I enjoyed the heightened concentration level required by the wet track and focussed on not crashing out. Sometimes the car was a real handful, but I got satisfaction from managing to catch the slides before the car had a chance to completely spin. I was amazed by the pace of @Harsk100 - I am not sure how the lap times that he was running were possible, but they obviously are. I noticed that I lost 17 seconds on the first lap to Harsk! After being lapped I realised that Harsk would lap me twice by the end of the race.

I am hoping that future instalments of Gran Turismo include more options / improvements to help mid-pack / back of pack drivers such as myself.
1. I would like to see improved mirrors which are wider - like the ones used in classic racing for real. A mirror in every driving view including bonnet cam.
2. Time difference to car in front and car behind - these are the people I am racing against so these are important - this would also enable me to switch off the track map for extra immersion.
3. Blue flags - I was having to guess whether I was being lapped, pulling off line and listening for a Jaguar XJ13 engine note. Blue flags would be so much easier.

Round 3 Points DM.jpg

Christmas Series
Championship racing takes a two week break at Christmas before returning on the 4th of January (Test Day for the new Dan Gurney series) and 6th January (Test Day for Shelby v Chevy Season 2). I have filled that two week gap with a 125 Shifter Kart Christmas Series.

Christmas Poster 1.jpg

Dan Gurney Tribute Series
The Toyota 2000GT Wednesday Series comes to an end just before Christmas and will be followed by a tuning prohibited Dan Gurney Tribute Series - Test Day 4th January 2017.

Dan Gurney 1.jpg

Future Plans
I have a PS4 on order and will be getting "Project Cars Game of the Year Edition" (this includes all the DLC). It has been rumoured on GTPlanet that Gran Turismo Sport (GTS) may be arriving as early as end of January 2017. I will be waiting to hear reports / review from trusted sources before ordering a copy.

Asetto Corsa seems to have problems with online play in the console edition so is a no no at the moment - perhaps in a years time they will have a Game of the Year edition which will include the DLC and they will have sorted out the online play options.

It is possible that we may race on GTS or Asetto Corsa in Spring or Summer 2017, but at the moment Project Cars (GOTY Edition) is looking the most likely option on PS4. I understand that the phyics is not as good as Asetto Corsa, which is the class leader, but it should be a step up from GT6. I personally think that Gran Turismo is going in the wrong direction and wish that I could switch to Forza - cost of replacing my wheel and the prospect of losing you lot of good racing friends prevents that from happening. Let me know your thoughts especially on Project Cars and Asetto Corsa.

Classic Video Clip
The following video on the Pikes Peak race of 1965 is a must see. The film was professionally made by the Gates Tire Company hence the frequent mention of their tyres including the specific details of which model of tyre is in use. At this time the race had only three classes: Stock, Sports and Championship. The Sports category is of particular interest and shows the Arciero Lotus (Type 18) as raced by Jimmy Clark against Dave MacDonald's King Cobra Cooper Ford at Laguna Seca. The film shows Hank Miller and his team mate supposedly in matching Cobra Fords, but the body of Hank's car is clearly not a Cobra - it may have a Cobra chassis and mechanicals, but appears to have a Devin or similar fibre glass body and interior. Chuck Frederick his team mate is clearly driving a 289 Cobra. It is amazing to see classic sports cars raced on a dirt track in this way, particularly the Prototype category Arciero Lotus - it would be like seeing someone racing a Le Mans car in a rally today, but at that time the technical differences between different categories of racing were much smaller. I hope you enjoy the clip!

Next Round 4 from Spa Francorchamps

I have one question.

I would like to know if we are allowed to drive the Z06 in place of Art Morrison Corvette.

Thank you for the invite @Sick Cylinder! Wednesday is a definite no-go as I have a cleaning job I do during those hours. Friday MAY work for me, however I will have to make sure before I commit.
I've been offline for 7 months, so right now I'm just trying to get back into GT6 (not that I was ever that good ;-)) I'm pretty sure I've raced with a few of you before, so I'm looking forward to getting on the track. For the first race or two, I'll probably be racing safely so as not to cause accidents until I'm back to being comfortable pushing the car. Hopefully there will be a spot for me if/when I can play

Sick Cylinder!
I apologize in advance to stop you but a fait accompli or excluded at the Harsk100-series or I leave the beloved community. Looking back, the main event for everyone to see, it was fraud. Not the first time. It is not fair that others racing game of disruption.
Several times already but has not been indicated in any case it is making the place a fraud reg been enough to make it a fool .If there will be the next race I did not chronic, sorry. The chicane before the finish line straight through it never took into account many times. What does it deliberately does not believe that the request indulgence!
I hope this was not our last race!
Pimiki

If you are there in the race tomorrow, I'm sick of the rule does not start szegésekből!
The organizer of the competition will decide who will be there tomorrow at the start! You or me.

If you are there in the race tomorrow, I'm sick of the rule does not start szegésekből!
The organizer of the competition will decide who will be there tomorrow at the start! You or me.
We will see, Pimiki...

Round 4 From Spa

Note Harsk100 was disqualified from the Toyota 2000GT race and suspended from the next round for failing to observe track limits and other driving infringements. He has also been suspended from the next two Shelby v Chevy rounds, which includes round 4 from Spa and round 5 from Madrid.

Message to all drivers - please note normally the limits of a track are set by the white lines around the edge of the track. It is acceptable to ride the kerbs, but two wheels must remain inside the white line on the dark tarmac at all times. During the Toyota 2000GT race some drivers were exceeding track limits especially at Eau Rouge (going off track before) - you may lose a second or two per lap, but please stay within the track limits. Please be extra careful during the opening couple of laps while the pack is tightly bunched - brake earlier than normal and be ready to change line if the person in front has slowed more than you expect. Concentrate on clean passing - less pushing up the inside and taking the other drivers racing line please. Try to remain contact free as driving was in the 1960's - unfortunately many drivers today in BTCC set a bad example!

Next Round 5 from Madrid

There is an astronomy thing in my neighbourhood tonight. They put a lot of effort into it, volunteers run it at a community centre. So I'm going there to support it and look through some telescopes.

I had a quick go in the XJ13 at Spa with Harsk. It made my dislike of Spa even stronger. :lol: Very tough with DS3 on slippery tyres and standard tune.

Sick
The AM corvette was amazing at Spa once I got the hang of it.
Apologies to the few people I bumped in the first race. Couldn't get the braking distance sorted out!!:dunce:

Main race had a terrific battle with Sick. Really didn't think I'd stay ahead of you after overtaking as the Cobras got so much more grunt in the straights but the AM is great around the corners...it actually 4 wheel drifts!:lol:

There's been some cyber attack on many networks tonight so amazed we actually raced!! I'm sure youve seen both If and Zeus couldn't get online to race...posted in the Toyota thread. It explains the sparse grid.

Anyway amazing pace as always Simba,Pimiki and rich. :bowdown:
Great win Simba. By the way very good of you to give way on the kemmel straight after my off trying to avoid you. Thank you. And a nice overtake st blanchimont...I had no defence!!:cool:

Good race Max and John. Thought we'd get a good 4 way battle with Me and Sick.👍

:cheers:

Last edited:
both If and Zeus couldn't get online to race...posted in the Toyota thread
Not sure why we were discussing it over there but yes logging on was a problem for me. I've just tried again now at midnight and it seems fine - but just a little late!

Can't blame Sony since I don't believe it's their fault.

I think that Ben had the right idea of gazing into the cosmos.

Nice pictures John!

Time Change to GMT

Just a quick reminder to everyone that the UK changed time from BST to GMT today. If you are not in the UK please check how this will affect you before the race on Friday so that you do not risk missing the meeting.

NB there is a big update (Monday) for PSN required before you can log in to GT6 so allow plenty of time to get that done before the race.

Last edited:
Back