FS: rare sales!

• Thread starter exigeracer
  • 2,038 comments
Uh, would you believe? A 1994 Supra Turbo with only 5,625 miles on the odometer.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ctd/d/best-of-the-best-5600mi/6239903355.html
00W0W_cRxqCeuRQgI_600x450.jpg

That's actually... not an unreasonable price for a mint-condition Supra. :eek:

Which a few of us said in the EVO XI MR for $130k thread. You already know this but I'm waiting for the more "this is stupid, the fan base has ruined this car for people who want to own them". Or my favorite any time I see a 68-70 Charger R/T go for sell or this, "thanks Universal and F&F ruining car culture, everything is over priced".

Or my favorite any time I see a 68-70 Charger R/T go for sell or this, "thanks Universal and F&F ruining car culture, everything is over priced".

Completely forgetting that pony cars of that era, especially for stuff in 1969 and 1970 and in good condition with matching numbers and original parts have been exorbitantly priced for years now, even before F&F. And often times by baby boomers with too much disposable income looking to relive their youth

Which a few of us said in the EVO XI MR for $130k thread. You already know this but I'm waiting for the more "this is stupid, the fan base has ruined this car for people who want to own them". Or my favorite any time I see a 68-70 Charger R/T go for sell or this, "thanks Universal and F&F ruining car culture, everything is over priced".
I could see both sides of the argument for the Evo thread; it's unnatural to see Evo's go for so much, even in mint condition. On the other side where I lean towards, we're in an age where any sports car that's running factory miles and still unregistered 10 years later is going to command top dollar & the Evo has the fanbase in the states to back it, esp. given it went of production here, iirc. It's an obscure sale at best, but not completely outlandish.

I'm amazed people still want to blame that franchise for anything anymore considering they don't even street race anymore. Least, not realistically. :lol: But yeah, muscle cars of that era have always been highly desired cars. I imagine that's why the franchise even picked them in the first place. I checked Hemmings to get an idea of what top dollar muscle cars go for, and already, I see a '69 Yenko Camaro for $650,000, a '69 Mustang 429 Boss for $430,000, a '69 Corvette T-Top L88 for $400,000, a '69 Daytona for $315,000, & a '68 Charger 440 R/T for $235,000. These are on the high end of the spectrum, but it demonstrates where the market is on the best examples of these cars & seems to indicate that if you want a moderate example of a desirable muscle car, you're still going to be shelling out a lot of money.

Eh, $100k is a lot for a MKIV IMO; sure it's absolutely mint with ultra low miles, but at that price range there's plenty of other options for an older performance car. Plus, the Supra listed is an automatic, which is generally considered less desired and I would imagine put some off completely.

For comparison sake, there is another MKIV Turbo on BAT for $47k. It's newer ('97 vs. '94), and I would argue has more desirable options, being a manual and a 15th Anniversary Edition, as well as having the Targa roof which is better or worse depending on who you ask. Granted the miles are higher and it has aftermarket lights, but I'd say in terms of condition both appear almost the same.

Eh, $100k is a lot for a MKIV IMO; sure it's absolutely mint with ultra low miles, but at that price range there's plenty of other options for an older performance car. Plus, the Supra listed is an automatic, which is generally considered less desired and I would imagine put some off completely.
A red Turbo 6MT sold a couple years ago twice for $100,000 with 15k miles. If an automatic is undesirable, the low mileage more than makes up for it.
For comparison sake, there is another MKIV Turbo on BAT for $47k. It's newer ('97 vs. '94), and I would argue has more desirable options, being a manual and a 15th Anniversary Edition, as well as having the Targa roof which is better or worse depending on who you ask. Granted the miles are higher and it has aftermarket lights, but I'd say in terms of condition both appear almost the same.
Appear is the key word. It still has 59,000 miles and someone has fiddled with it per the source, and failed emissions at one point.
Upon acquiring the vehicle, the seller removed aftermarket intake, exhaust, and gauge components and completed a fluid service. Remaining modifications are said to be limited to HID foglights, headlights, and tinted windows.

Some small holes on the dash from previous gauge mounts are shown in the gallery on the right side of the binnacle. The instrument panel surround, switch panels, and console panel received a silver finish beginning in this model year.
It's an example that was modified for use, and put back to stock by the 2nd owner, now up for sale.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy did so in attempt to make a quick buck off anyone looking for a "stock" example considering he only owned it for a year & put less than 2,000 miles on it.

Completely forgetting that pony cars of that era, especially for stuff in 1969 and 1970 and in good condition with matching numbers and original parts have been exorbitantly priced for years now, even before F&F. And often times by baby boomers with too much disposable income looking to relive their youth

I'm not quite saying that, many other car people I talk to realize the price is high for any Muscle/Pony car. However, I do see many reasons as to why it has grown so much outside of the simple reason of vintage, historic, rare no longer produ

I could see both sides of the argument for the Evo thread; it's unnatural to see Evo's go for so much, even in mint condition. On the other side where I lean towards, we're in an age where any sports car that's running factory miles and still unregistered 10 years later is going to command top dollar & the Evo has the fanbase in the states to back it, esp. given it went of production here, iirc. It's an obscure sale at best, but not completely outlandish.

I agree this soon, sure not worth that much maybe 10 -20 k more than original sale price easily but not 130k. Now I agreed with the 130k because of what it was and that it will probably be worth that much regularly one day, due to the line of car no longer being made.

I'm amazed people still want to blame that franchise for anything anymore considering they don't even street race anymore. Least, not realistically. :lol: But yeah, muscle cars of that era have always been highly desired cars. I imagine that's why the franchise even picked them in the first place. I checked Hemmings to get an idea of what top dollar muscle cars go for, and already, I see a '69 Yenko Camaro for $650,000, a '69 Mustang 429 Boss for $430,000, a '69 Corvette T-Top L88 for $400,000, a '69 Daytona for $315,000, & a '68 Charger 440 R/T for $235,000. These are on the high end of the spectrum, but it demonstrates where the market is on the best examples of these cars & seems to indicate that if you want a moderate example of a desirable muscle car, you're still going to be shelling out a lot of money.

I'm not really, people will find reasons to blame anything. Muscle cars have been growing in price for the past two decades or more. I think that the franchise has done little to help that with an obvious certain car, but it clearly isn't the only reason. Age, limited number, bringing back the name in modern form to show importance of it, and other notable motion picture/tv shows are all reasons to the growth. Though most of what you listed isn't in the same realm I feel as the R/T, even the more rare 426. I'd say the fact that so many were destroyed because they became a favorite Hollywood car to beat around is another reason the car is more rare than it should be. I feel if I had the money I'd be trying to get a Charger 500 for that price or a lesser Super bee.

It's not Shelby, but Shelby SuperCars. Which has no relation to the obviously more famous Shelby

Show me big money, Bob. Surprised it's not in Ford's possession.

Edit* Looks like it sold for $7 million in 2014. Estimates point it could sell again for $10 million based on the current prices for original GT40s mixed with the rarity and importance of this example.

Last edited:
Incredible. That is a massive sum for a car that isn't even 30 years old.
I'm eager to see when/if the car ever finally caps, or if it'll reach GTO levels of absurdity. They seem to double in such a short amount of time recently with one going for $3.57m in 2010, & $8.47m in 2013, that it seems like the car to invest in at the moment. I mean yeah, $15 million is a lot of money, but 3-5 years later, you could get it back and a nice chunk of profit. The car doesn't age and it's still even fresh in the mind of millennials who may one day come into a lot of money; old money already snatched the car up when it was new and is reaping the rewards of it right now.

But... hard to find $15 million or even just $4-8 million lying around. Eager to see if Bonhams livestreamed the sale to see if there was a competitive atmosphere for it.

I'm eager to see when/if the car ever finally caps, or if it'll reach GTO levels of absurdity. They seem to double in such a short amount of time recently with one going for $3.57m in 2010, & $8.47m in 2013, that it seems like the car to invest in at the moment. I mean yeah, $15 million is a lot of money, but 3-5 years later, you could get it back and a nice chunk of profit. The car doesn't age and it's still even fresh in the mind of millennials who may one day come into a lot of money; old money already snatched the car up when it was new and is reaping the rewards of it right now.

But... hard to find $15 million or even just $4-8 million lying around. Eager to see if Bonhams livestreamed the sale to see if there was a competitive atmosphere for it.

I defiantly don't see it jumping to 30 mil, in the next 3-5 years. I feel this is probably the more top end of rational investing on historic well known hyper cars with great documentation. I mean you're more traversed in this than most of us, but those of us that follow it somewhat for a hobby, I think the car would probably cap out at 20 million if it is up for sale again.

I defiantly don't see it jumping to 30 mil, in the next 3-5 years. I feel this is probably the more top end of rational investing on historic well known hyper cars with great documentation. I mean you're more traversed in this than most of us, but those of us that follow it somewhat for a hobby, I think the car would probably cap out at 20 million if it is up for sale again.
Oh, I definitely agree; should've said that in my post that I don't foresee it hitting GTO levels in that time frame. Otherwise, it'd be a good idea to start finding a multi-millionaire and selling him on one asap for a small commish. :P

$20 million is probably the best expectation, and I think that's if we don't see another come up for sale in that time frame, which I believe is a huge factor as to why the car's value has made such dramatic leaps in the last several years. But, over the last 2 days, these auctions have also produced a couple crazy results; beyond this being the most expensive McLaren, we had the world record for a British car at auction in a '56 DBR1 & the world record for Porsche in a 917K used in LeMans. I believe a Peel P50 even sold for $140,000 yesterday, $20,000 over estimation. So, this year may be just an oddity at having just the right amount of desirable cars & buyers. I know a Ferrari collection that is listed for today just came off reserve that includes a 250 GT SWB est. at $8.5m-$10m, so curious to see what it ends at.

I realize I follow this stuff way too closely now.

386 miles or not, it's still a Mystichrome convertible... probably the least desireable combo for a Terminator.

There was a 904 that sold last week for over $1.5m. That example above has been for sale for a while, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's asking closer to $2m.

Yep. Would be interesting to see which of the 904 and 993 went for more money. Suspect it would be close.

Personally, I'd take the 904. Just such a pretty car, and with a 6 on it, should be lovely to drive.

Yep. Would be interesting to see which of the 904 and 993 went for more money. Suspect it would be close.

Personally, I'd take the 904. Just such a pretty car, and with a 6 on it, should be lovely to drive.
From what I've seen, the 904 values are slightly higher than the 993. I haven't seen a 993 GT ask for $1.5m personally, more so around $1.1-1.2m on the high end.

The 904 on the other hand seems to have traded as low as $1.5m in the last couple years. Gooding&Co auctioned 2 off in 2011 for $1m and $1.2m, & in 2013, one sold for $1.6m.

Edit* Just noticed you said it's 1 of 13 in that specific spec. Probably bumps the value up a bit but I think in general, the 904 is still likely a little more expensive.

But, I think it's all attributed to production. I've seen more 993s up for sale than I have 904s and I imagine 904 production isn't very high to begin with.

It's what I'd rather take as well just for the sheer uniqueness of it as a Porsche.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, the 904 values are slightly higher than the 993. I haven't seen a 993 GT ask for $1.5m personally, more so around $1.1-1.2m on the high end.

The 904 on the other hand seems to have traded as low as $1.5m in the last couple years. Gooding&Co auctioned 2 off in 2011 for $1m and $1.2m, & in 2013, one sold for $1.6m.

Edit* Just noticed you said it's 1 of 13 in that specific spec. Probably bumps the value up a bit but I think in general, the 904 is still likely a little more expensive.

But, I think it's all attributed to production. I've seen more 993s up for sale than I have 904s and I imagine 904 production isn't very high to begin with.

It's what I'd rather take as well just for the sheer uniqueness of it as a Porsche.
A 993 GT2 (a one owner car with 13,000km, Riviera Blue color) sold last year for a record USD $2.4 million, in London, for a LHD car. A 1 of 7 UK spec, 1 of 13 RHD car may be close to that number, if not more. Same miles, Guards Red with the Recaro sport seats and RHD... the price will be off the charts.

I think that particular 904 will go for more than the 993 but I don't think by much.

Back