Funny/Strange News Stories

A sad truth. A mainstream, blockbuster adventure movie with a sharp witted little Asian kid equipped with a caricature Asian accent, and named Short Round, probably could not get made today. His name would be Zach, he'd be the lonely child of two immigrant university professors, a computer genius or some kind of super savant, way smarter than the blundering and stumbling adults he's surrounded with, and he'd end up getting kissed by the slightly older and hot tall girl of a different ethnicity at the end of the movie, after he saves all of his friends and likely the world, from the evil, bumbling genius.

giphy.gif

-------------------------------------------------

Protip: Phones are not food.

Last edited:
I thought there were only 2 Die Hard movies.

:lol:

Two is definitely an easier pill to swallow than four, but...Jeremy Irons.
There are five movies in the series.

People actually liked the second one where he pulls the ejector seat in an exploding military transport which doesn't have ejector seats and then lands without a scratch? Okay. The baddies were almost as hateable as Gruber's gang but it had quite a few plotholes for me though. Definitely a three beer movie at least.

Last edited:
Wait, what? I thought they stopped at Live Free Or Don't Even Bother Watching For Free On TV.
I can't really account for other people's lack of research but I thought 4.0 was okay. From what I understand, people's complaints with it were mostly to do with the lack of swearing and onscreen bloodshed. 5 has 4 all beat in the unwatchable stakes from what I heard... gave that turkey a wide berth.

Meanwhile, back on-topic... I thought the Tide pods eating craze was a little strange but apparently people in India have started taking selfies on the track with fast approaching trains in the background.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-42815483

Last edited:
OK. I came across this outrage & felt I had to bring it to the attention of GTPlanet members:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...om-saudi-beauty-pageant-over-botox-injections

View attachment 709162
It seems like a joke, "camel beauty contest," leading to thoughts of camels in Saudi Arabia as sheep in Wales. Just what are the animals being sold for?

Presumably buyers purchase breeding (not inter-species) candidates for either livestock or pursuing awards at similar events.

I have nothing against proper livestock treatment for food and/or textile production, but improper practices disgust me, and unfortunately they're carried out the world over.

It seems like a joke, "camel beauty contest," leading to thoughts of camels in Saudi Arabia as sheep in Wales. Just what are the animals being sold for?

Presumably buyers purchase breeding (not inter-species) candidates for either livestock or pursuing awards at similar events.

I have nothing against proper livestock treatment for food and/or textile production, but improper practices disgust me, and unfortunately they're carried out the world over.
I'm not sure I understand what the improper treatment here is. Human beings are routinely injected with botox the world over so I assume if it is safe for humans it must be safe for camels as well. It is against the rules to be sure, but I'm not sure that it qualifies as mistreatment per se. Much like show animals around the world these camels are probably given better treatment than just about any other one of their species that ends up being a work animal, or worse.

I'm not sure I understand what the improper treatment here is. Human beings are routinely injected with botox the world over so I assume if it is safe for humans it must be safe for camels as well. It is against the rules to be sure, but I'm not sure that it qualifies as mistreatment per se. Much like show animals around the world these camels are probably given better treatment than just about any other one of their species that ends up being a work animal, or worse.
Say that while someone's swinging from your lower lip like you're a jungle gym.

Wait, what? I thought they stopped at Live Free Or Don't Even Bother Watching For Free On TV.

...You can always try the "Unrated Cut" available on DVD. It's arguably - somewhat - better. Besides, I enjoyed its silly antics. That's a pass in my book.

I also had the distinct displeasure of sitting through the fifth one as well. That one... Hmm.

Further to my previous post it'd appear that one in three smartphones in India runs out of space owing to the deluge of well wishing friends and relatives. But the real reason this report made me laugh was the name of the BBC correspondent the article's writers interviewed about the phenomenon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-42801115

You can always try the "Unrated Cut" available on DVD. It's arguably - somewhat - better.
Quite the sales pitch.

:P

No, I'm good. That kind of movie doesn't do it for me anymore anyway. The original three only get grandfathered in due to the "memories" factor, but I could go not seeing them again either.

the real reason this report made me laugh was the name
Mature... :lol:

Tell me you sat through the report without cracking a grin...

I can honestly say I only grinned because I knew you found it funny. I actually went to school with--and still see on a regular basis--someone with the name. Plus, as someone whose own name isn't exactly flattering (my daughter took her mom's and I'm totally fine with it), I don't think I'm entitled.

I can honestly say I only grinned because I knew you found it funny. I actually went to school with--and still see on a regular basis--someone with the name. Plus, as someone whose own name isn't exactly flattering (my daughter took her mom's and I'm totally fine with it), I don't think I'm entitled.
You can't choose your genealogy, I guess. One office I worked at had a lady whose last name was De'Ath ("day-ath"). The next place I worked, there was a guy called Mycock. He pronounced it "Mee-coe" though.​

There are five movies in the series.

People actually liked the second one where he pulls the ejector seat in an exploding military transport which doesn't have ejector seats and then lands without a scratch? Okay. The baddies were almost as hateable as Gruber's gang but it had quite a few plotholes for me though. Definitely a three beer movie at least.

Die Hard 2: Die Harder is awesomesauce. Mostly because it's almost a parody of Die Hard.

It definitely improves with alcohol though. It's not what you'd call a cerebral movie. :P

Say that while someone's swinging from your lower lip like you're a jungle gym.

You've got some weird hobbies, man. ;)

Tell me you sat through the report without cracking a grin...

I lasted all of about two seconds. Some stuff will always be funny.

Now I've got to find someone to pull my finger...

There's no doubt it briefly snowed in a few deserts, Algeria and Saudi Arabia for example. In fact, it's fun as well as strange. I think it would be grand if the River Thames were to freeze over. However, it would no longer be funny if the snows failed to melt in agricultural belts when spring arrives.

http://indianexpress.com/article/tr...sert-rare-snowfall-twitter-reactions-5041673/

http://www.euronews.com/2018/01/26/rare-snowfall-delights-residents-in-saudi-arabia

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...esert-world-makes-shocking-images/1016395001/

Today in belgian news (and I'm sorry I find the situation somewhat funny).

A theif drove a truck into a store for a raid. When he actually entered through the gap in the wall said wall collapsed and killed him. If that's not instant karma.

Just to be clear I do not want this to happen I believe in a justice system and personnally don't believe the deadpenalty is a good thing.

Back