Game of Thrones - Caution: contains spoilers & dragonsTV 

• Thread starter Villain
  • 862 comments
Bump from the dead, but spinoff updates:
  1. Long Night/Bloodmoon/title TBD: pilot is currently in post-production
  2. (title TBD): Supposedly close to a pilot order, based off the contents of Fire & Blood and the history of the Targaryen dynasty which is as close to a pure Dance of the Dragons/Blackfyre Rebellion spinoff.
  3. Empire of Ash (supposedly): Doom of Valyria based, not much from this front since the purported leak over on the GoT Wikia last year. Least certain of the three mentioned here.

Long Night prequel is supposedly canned.

Also Fire & Blood-based prequel is a go:

Very good news!

Targaryen Game of Thrones prequel gets a name and full series order!

by David Harris (Razor)13 hours ago Follow @House_Razor

It’s been a busy day for HBO. On the one hand, the premium cabler outright canceled its Game of Thrones prequel set during the Age of Heroes, tentatively called Bloodmoon. On the other, it’s ordered straight to series a prequel all about House Targaryen, based on George R.R. Martin Fire & Blood. The title? House of the Dragon.

As HBO says, House of the Dragon is co-created by A Song of Ice and Fire author George R.R. Martin and Colony writer/producer Ryan Condal. Miguel Sapochnik — the director behind excellent Game of Thrones episodes like “Hardhome,” “Battle of the Bastards” and “The Winds of Winter” — will serve as co-showrunner and direct the pilot as well as other episodes. Condal will write. It’s unclear what the writers room will look like at this point.

House of the Dragon is the perfect name for a prequel series about House Targaryen. From Aegon Targaryen and his sister-wives conquering the Seven Kingdoms astride their massive dragons to the Targaryen civil war known as the Dance of the Dragons, there are a ton of great stories HBO could tell.

Might we see Aegon the Conqueror melting Harenhal like a wax candle, or Maegor the Cruel fighting against the Faith Militant, or perhaps the reign of King Jaehaerys and Queen Alysanne, maybe even the fascinating tale of Elissa Farman, who sailed farther west than anyone in history? Fire & Blood is packed to the gills with interesting characters, and we can’t wait to see which ones take center stage.

As for now, there is no start date for production on the show, but with a title and full series order from HBO — meaning they’re going to make a season of this right off the bat, rather than make a pilot and see how it goes — expect things to start moving rather quickly.

https://winteriscoming.net/2019/10/29/targaryen-game-thrones-prequel-name-full-series-order/

There is a purported leaked cast going about for S1 of House of the Dragon.
TL;DR:
Overall extremely unlikely and borderline wishlist-y (though Moretz could do a good Rhaenys), but then again considering how early some of the S8 leaks came and their reception wouldn't be surprised if some of this was true.
If leak holds up, there'll be 3 seasons-Season 1 surrounds Aegon's Conquest, Season 2 is Dance of the Dragons, Season 3 is (presumably) the First Blackfyre Rebellion.

Bump after nearly a year.

TL;DR:
  • Based off the casting call for Daemon Targaryen from back in August
    PRINCE DAEMON TARGARYEN (Male, 40-50) – The younger brother to King Viserys, Daemon wasn’t born with “naked ambition” for the throne despite being in line for it. He’s less methodical and more impetuous. Not to mention easily bored…stumbling from one distraction to the next with the subconscious yet singular obsession with earning the love and acceptance of his brother the king. Most of Daemon’s joy is found at sword-point. But even as the most experienced warrior of his time, he vacillates between vile and heroic, making him the true rogue of the series.

SERIES LEAD. OPTIONS ESSENTIAL *This role is currently scheduled to film between January – December 2021*

It's basically confirmed that Season 1 of House of the Dragon will concern the Dance of the Dragons, with a presumptive airdate sometime in 2022.

• Also, first cast member confirmed is Paddy Considine to play Viserys I Targaryen.

Last edited:
Bump after nearly a year.

TL;DR:
  • Based off the casting call for Daemon Targaryen from back in August

It's basically confirmed that Season 1 of House of the Dragon will concern the Dance of the Dragons, with a presumptive airdate sometime in 2022.

• Also, first cast member confirmed is Paddy Considine to play Viserys I Targaryen.
This is great news!

Considine should be brilliant in this role. If I am correct, Viserys I was essentially a good man, kind of like Ned Stark, in the sense that he also made rare questionable choices with terrible consequences. Whomever is cast as Daemon will, it is said, have the joy of playing a character who combines the qualities of Jaime Lannister with some of his brother Tyrion - smart, lusty, prone to anger and leaving a wake of destruction behind him.

I also am informed this show has the promise and potential of going - wait for it! - 10 seasons! This is because of the time period expanding to cover Targaryen history all the way to Robert's Rebellion.

This is great news!

Considine should be brilliant in this role. If I am correct, Viserys I was essentially a good man, kind of like Ned Stark, in the sense that he also made rare questionable choices with terrible consequences. Whomever is cast as Daemon will, it is said, have the joy of playing a character who combines the qualities of Jaime Lannister with some of his brother Tyrion - smart, lusty, prone to anger and leaving a wake of destruction behind him.

I also am informed this show has the promise and potential of going - wait for it! - 10 seasons! This is because of the time period expanding to cover Targaryen history all the way to Robert's Rebellion.

Yeah Daemon's gonna be a tough one to get right.

As for the series possibly going ten seasons, that's kinda stretching it IMO but doable. My call, I'd stick to seven or eight, focusing on:
  1. Dance of the Dragons
  2. Aegon's Conquest
  3. Aenys/Maegor the Cruel
  4. Later years of Jaehaerys the Conciliator's reign, mainly around the time of the Myrish Bloodbath and the succession to the Iron Throne getting murky following Prince Aemon's death.
  5. First Blackfyre Rebellion
  6. Dunk/Egg can get two, ending with finally finding out how the tragedy of Summerhall went down
  7. Ninepenny Kings, depending on if this series is following book canon or show canon considering that Jaehaerys II didn't exist in the show.

More House of the Dragon casting news:
  • Olivia Cooke as Alicent Hightower
  • Emma D'Arcy as Rhaenyra Targaryen
  • Matt Smith as Daemon Targaryen
  • Directors are on-board too besides showrunner Miguel Sapochnik; Claire Kilner, Geeta Patel, and Greg Yaitanes
  • Production to begin 2021, airdate still all but confirmed as 2022

Last edited:
More HOTD casting:

• Steve Toussaint as Corlys "the Sea Snake" Velaryon
  • Rhys Ifans as Otto Hightower
  • Eve Best as Rhaenys "the Queen Who Never Was" Targaryen
  • Sonoya Mizuno as Mysaria, lover to Daemon Targaryen

Last edited:
More spinoffs reputedly in the works:
  • One regards the nine voyages of Corlys Velaryon, the furthermost of which went to essentially the easternmost known points of the ASOIAF universe (amongst them Yi Ti, Leng, the Thousand Islands, Mossovy, and Asshai; there, he was reputed to have seen Sun Chaser, the ship of Elissa Farman. Her story trying to find a western route to Essos could be a fun miniseries)
  • One concerning Flea Bottom, the slum in King's Landing
  • One concering the flight of Princess Nymeria and her ten thousand ships

And a rare meaningful quintuplepost:
  • Proper production for House of the Dragon is reputedly underway in Holywell up in Cornwall.
  • Casting news: Fabien Frankel as Criston Cole, Lord Commander of Viserys I and Aegon II's Kingsguard and one of the more important minor roles during the Dance. As for my thoughts, he's 95ish% of what I saw Cole as in my head so I'm in.

Last edited:
House of the Dragon is officially in production. Obviously, there will be dragons in this one. A prominent location in Cornwall is apparently currently involved in the ongoing production.

Casting updates for House of the Dragon
  • Milly Alcock as younger Rhaenyra Targaryen
  • Emily Carey as younger Alicent Hightower
As this news mentions their roles being recurring, there seems to be a good deal more flashbacks going on than GOT itself, possibly as far back as the very tail end of the reign of Viserys I Targaryen's grandfather Jaehaerys the Conciliator based off the age of Carey.

More spinoffs reputedly in the works:
  • One regards the nine voyages of Corlys Velaryon, the furthermost of which went to essentially the easternmost known points of the ASOIAF universe (amongst them Yi Ti, Leng, the Thousand Islands, Mossovy, and Asshai; there, he was reputed to have seen Sun Chaser, the ship of Elissa Farman. Her story trying to find a western route to Essos could be a fun miniseries)
  • One concerning Flea Bottom, the slum in King's Landing
  • One concering the flight of Princess Nymeria and her ten thousand ships
  • Flea Bottom spinoff is not going forward
  • Instead an animated series set in Yi Ti is being looked at, which if it goes ahead :D
  • Also probs gonna start a GOT spinoff thread at a point soon.

Last edited:
@Darla Starch
This new prequel trailer for a 2022 debut on HBO is making my socks roll up and down with anticipation and glee! But apparently it is still in preproduction. I am imagining it can be filmed rather quickly and economically, as it has little in the way of wars, dragons and magic, focussing more on the nuts-and-bolts of medieval politics, petty conflicts and picaresque lessons in chivalry.

Dunk and Egg - Yes!

I think some of it will be comedy - "Dunk the lunk, thick as a castle wall"

Last edited:
Back