Gear Calculator

  • Thread starter Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 31 comments
  • 2,918 views
Cool. I hope I have a reason to use that.
 
What an unfriendly reply, Solid Lifter, why did you bother replying? 👎
Don't tell me you were happy with GT3's gear graph (which anyway was better than having none like in GT2), it was far from being useful since you didn't have any clue of rpms and speed. The gear chart in GT1 was the best, displaying such data, and hopefully GT4's one will be at least as useful than that.

The gear calculator Loudmusic provided works and looks like the original GT's and could be useful if a proper gear chart isn't implemented in GT4.
 
SHIRAKAWA Akira
What an unfriendly reply, Solid Lifter, why did you bother replying? 👎
There was nothing unfriendly about Solid Lifters' reply. You might want to read it again.
 
I'm confused, what would this do?

We're supposed to enter the stock spec, then it tells us how to tune correctly?
 
He's implying that he cannot find any use for that calculator, a somewhat polite way to say this is a junk thread. He might have wanted to check out the link twice.
 
Giancarlo
I'm confused, what would this do?

We're supposed to enter the stock spec, then it tells us how to tune correctly?

By entering tire size and gear ratios and pressing the ok button, you get an accurate gear chart that you can use to fine-tune your transmission.
 
You don't say "cool" to something if you think it's crap, but if that's what you think....
 
Nice, LoudMusic.

It comes in handy right now. :D
 
SHIRAKAWA Akira
By entering tire size and gear ratios and pressing the ok button, you get an accurate gear chart that you can use to fine-tune your transmission.

Ah, i figured. Sweet.

But how would we know an accurate tire size? Is that listed in the car specs?
 
The way I took his reply was that he liked the link, and hopes down the road he has something to use it for with the game. I don't believe he meant any harm with his post, just cool out.

I checked out the link, and its kick ass. In theory, by entering the data of your drivetrain in, and cross referencing with the power graph of a car, you can maximize the power production and gearing together. It would be cool if GT4 would have a power graph again.

Hilg
 
daan
You don't say "cool" to something if you think it's crap, but if that's what you think....

I don't want to start a flame about this, but a "positive" word doesn't always necessarily have a positive meaning. To me it sounded like this:

A> Look what I found!
B> Nice. Now, please, go away.

I apologize in advance if the original poster didn't mean to be subtly mean. End of discussion.
 
I believe what he meant was, he hopes it's included in GT4 and won't need it.

edit: nm I read his post wrong.
 
Can we get back on topic?
 
JNasty4G63
I checked out the link, and its kick ass. In theory, by entering the data of your drivetrain in, and cross referencing with the power graph of a car, you can maximize the power production and gearing together. It would be cool if GT4 would have a power graph again.

I've arranged something like that in Excel/Openoffice with my car's gearing and power chart coupled together, but I don't know how to matematically calculate the best shifting points to maximize acceleration. Maybe someone here can help me out? Check out the attachment.
 

Attachments

  • Clipboard.jpg
    Clipboard.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 94
Well, overlaying the graphs together wont show you anything magical really. But, by looking at the torque and hp graphs, and seeing where their peaks are, you can better choose your gearing. In theory, you would want each shift at redline to land right in the meat of your power curve. So, by seeing at what rpm the car is making good power, you can tune the gearing to land in that spot. I hope that helps.

Hilg
 
JNasty4G63
Well, overlaying the graphs together wont show you anything magical really. But, by looking at the torque and hp graphs, and seeing where their peaks are, you can better choose your gearing. In theory, you would want each shift at redline to land right in the meat of your power curve. So, by seeing at what rpm the car is making good power, you can tune the gearing to land in that spot. I hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply. I'm no mechanical engineer, but since CVT transmissions when requiring maximum acceleration keep engine rpms fixed ad peak power, my theory is that to maximize acceleration with a traditional transmission you have to have a gear powerband (from base rpms to shifting point, sorry, I don't know how to explain well this in english) whose total sum of [currentRpmPower-peakPower] (power levels at various rpms can be polled in a discrete manner) must be as close as possible to 0 (zero). I may be wrong, though. The hard part would be making this work in Excel.

Suggestions anyone?

CVT = continuosly variable transmission
 
Looking at the curve you posted the peak power is at about 5000 rpm. I would change there. Your tourque peak is at 2750 rpm and is fairly flat for another 1000 rpm or so before it trails off.
I would set the next gear so that it comes in at about 3000 which is around the peak torque rpm.
The gearing lines you show indicate the gearing is to high, coming to high up the rpm line to be really useful in the higher gears.
 
SHIRAKAWA Akira
What an unfriendly reply, Solid Lifter, why did you bother replying? 👎
Don't tell me you were happy with GT3's gear graph (which anyway was better than having none like in GT2), it was far from being useful since you didn't have any clue of rpms and speed. The gear chart in GT1 was the best, displaying such data, and hopefully GT4's one will be at least as useful than that.

The gear calculator Loudmusic provided works and looks like the original GT's and could be useful if a proper gear chart isn't implemented in GT4.
Loud Music is cool and I like him. I'm not rude to people I like. If I do get rude, then that person had it coming to them, or I was only joking around. You are making too much of my post and it's way off track.

I meant what I said. I hope there is a reason to use it, as in, maybe I don't need it because GT4 will have something similar or there is no benefit in using it.

Over. Let us move on.
 
That is freaking awesome! : ) If I don't use that in GT4 I am definately at least going to get some use out of it in real life : ) Thanks LM
 
HOLY COWS MAN THANKS IN MY BOOKMARK!! YES! sorry bout the caps. REALLY EXCITED TODAY!!
 
LoudMusic, this is the worst thread I've ever seen.

But cool link!
 
Dang, I thought it was for working out how much gear you're gonna need to complete that Nordschleife Enduro... :D
 
SHIRAKAWA Akira
I've arranged something like that in Excel/Openoffice with my car's gearing and power chart coupled together, but I don't know how to matematically calculate the best shifting points to maximize acceleration. Maybe someone here can help me out? Check out the attachment.
Having the graph show you how much power you have in each gear, that will help much more. For the graph, Y-axis is the force, and the X-axis is the speed, and each curve (one for each gear) will show you how much power there is at your disposal within the speeds of each gear. When the curves start to overlap each other, check at which speed each overlap occurs. That's when you want to shift.

If you have trouble understanding what I meant, check this
site. That program can do it for you, and test it too.
 
SHIRAKAWA Akira
What an unfriendly reply, Solid Lifter, why did you bother replying? 👎
Don't tell me you were happy with GT3's gear graph (which anyway was better than having none like in GT2), it was far from being useful since you didn't have any clue of rpms and speed. The gear chart in GT1 was the best, displaying such data, and hopefully GT4's one will be at least as useful than that.

The gear calculator Loudmusic provided works and looks like the original GT's and could be useful if a proper gear chart isn't implemented in GT4.

Seriously touchy!
Dont take everything quite so seriously, what makes you think he was making a derogrative comment.
 
I'm very sorry. I overreacted since I'm sick of seeing many users bashing new members or replying smartass for stupid reasons or no reason at all. I should have checked Solid Lifters' membership status before posting that.

Freddie:
Thanks for your help, that gave me the idea for the updated version of my graph (which has transmission/aerodynamic losses implemented too). Here's a screenshot:

http://www.shirakawaakira.net/img/iviewcapture_date_18_11_2004_time_21_07_30.jpg

In blue, wheel torque for each gear (values in Nm on left Y axis)
In red, wheel power (values in DIN hp on right Y axis)
In yellow, transmission+aerodynamic losses (values in DIN hp on right Y axis)
Shifting points in dashed yellow (set at 5750 rpms)
Speed in km/h on lower X axis
 
Klostrophobic
LoudMusic, this is the worst thread I've ever seen.

But cool link!

Well you could be like me and just forget it was ever created. (:
 
LoudMusic
Well you could be like me and just forget it was ever created. (:

Sorry Loud Music I know its your job to bring the dead threads back alive but I just had to do this one! I hope this will help all you other fellars here.
 
this thread is more dead than a hangnail
 
Your shift points are wrong ...

You should shift where power (or torque, same point :p) intersect with the next gear ... In first, you'd shift just before fuel cut-off since it's always higher than second ...
 
Back