General Fighting Games Thread

• Thread starter Laughss
  • 3,264 comments
Wait... King of Fighters... 14? This series has more sequels than MegaMan (speaking as a MegaMan fan)! According to some YouTube comments I read on a teaser trailer, this game is somehow met with lukewarm reception based on how its 3D graphics looks. My King of Fighters experience is somewhat limited. Then again, my only real SNK fighter experience is mostly with the SNES "Fatal Fury" and arcade time with "The Last Blade." As long as beating somebody's backside is solid and enjoyable, that's all that matters. So it's wait-and-see with KOF14.

Still, though- 14? And for a series that has been around since 1994? Wow!

Any thoughts to kof 14? I know the trailer wasnt good but still hoping the final product goes well.

Honestly, I don't really know. I wasn't even aware of its existence until recently, when I stumbled into the trailer video on YouTube. While I admire SNK Playmore's audacity in trying out 3D animation on 2D backgrounds, I fear that such innovation will turn most of the series' fans off in the process. The other time when SNK tried to make KoF a 3D fighting game was a whole separate series and it failed to gather enough interest as its own franchise (with only 3 or so games, to my knowledge). I dunno, really. It needs to have more footage shown in order to showcase the game better.

I feel live SNK does it right 3d animations will not stop the series from growing that's been done before with other fighting games also he can use cell shading techniques as well aren't the models for Guilty Gear or BlazBlue actually 3d models? As for KOF having so many sequels to be very honest think about how many sequels streetfighter really would have for every version of Street Fighter that there is they'd be in the same camp probably other fighting games as well who cares what the number of the sequel is one of the games good I think that's all that really matters. After reading all I ate in the frustration I think it's a time will tell thing with KOF 14 we're going to have to wait and see for more it's obvious they're still at the beginning phases with the game I'm sure by now they realize that they need to step their game up in order to keep the fans happy. I say give him the benefit of the doubt SNK is been through serious serious financial problems so I would take a wait-and-see approach now the game sucks when it comes out I'll be the first one to say it does but until then I'd say let's see what they come up with

Since I just heard about KOF 14 and its backlash regarding the graphics... daily reminder that at SF4's announcement, there must be a backlash regarding the decision of SF4 going 3D... I think. 💡

I saw a video on one of Street Fighter V's new characters- Laura. At first, I thought she was going to be like Capcom's answer to Christie of the Tekken series. But after seeing a video, she is like Tekken's Christie, but with the electrifying abilities of a classic Street Fighter character- Blanka. So I see her more like Christie and Blanka. Laura's quite the mix.

The KOF 14 trailer may have confirmed a leak done by ALX months ago.

(News source: http://shoryuken.com/2015/11/04/king-of-fighters-xivs-roster-may-have-leaked-months-ago/)

Stats: 16 teams of three, one mid boss and one final boss

China Team: (?), Tung Fu Rue, (?)

Japan Team: Kyo Kusanagi, Benimaru Nikaido, Goro Daimon

Fatal Fury Team: Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard, Joe Higashi

Art of Fighting Team: Ryo Sakazaki, Robert Garcia, Yuri Sakazaki

K' Team: K', Maximia, Kula Diamond

Kim Team: Kim Kaphwan, (His Master), (His Wife)

Criminal Team: Prisoner Chang Koehan, Prisoner Choi Bounge, (Newcomer Prisoner)

Women's Team: Mai Shirauni, King, Alice**

Ikari Team: Ralf Jones, Clark Still, Leona Heidern

Psycho Soldier Team: Athena Asamiya, Sie Kensou, Chin Gentsai

Mexico Team: Ramon, Angel, Tizoc

Palace Wan Team:* (Acting Mask Girl), (Teenage Girl Singer with Electric Element), (Mysterious Hooded Man)

Southtown Team: Geese Howard, Billy Kane, (?)

South America Team: (Brazilian Ninja), (Handicapped Boxer), (Pretty Latin Girl)

Alternative World Team: Nakoruru, Love Heart**, Mui Mui**

Mid-Boss: (Russian Billionare)

Final Boss: (Non-Human Species)

Legend:
- All characters in parentheses are unknown. Some character's archetypes are known.

*A possible carry over from SNK Playmore's new owners.

** Making their first KOF Debut. Some are carryovers from pachinko machines.

Last edited:
@Sanji Himura If the game is going to have that many characters, I could see why the graphics look so rough at such an early stage of development(?). Here's hoping that it plays better than it looks, because most of my friends thought that KOF XIV was a mobile phone game when I showed them the preview trailers.

And this is the game that actually made me seal the deal and get a PS4

latest

I know there aren't many people here that like Saint Seiya, or even know what it is. The fact that they released a second new-gen game was a surprise. It now feel like an authentic fighting game unlike the previous game Brave Soldiers.

And one of the best things:

maxresdefault.jpg

They finally included the Asgard God Warriors! Not only that, but for all us Hispanic Saint Seiya fans, they included the original Mexican dub voices, with was an unexpected but incredible bonus. Now, if they only did that with Dragon Ball games...

As someone who has organized Smash tournaments for the past 8 years running, the cancellation of Project M is a bit bittersweet victory amongst the Texas Smash community as a whole. Dallas, where I live, made it a mandatory staple for tournaments to the point where FX Game Exchange in Plano hosts weeklies for the game. Houston, under the general direction of my close friends, does not. As a matter of fact, my friends down in Houston would much prefer to play Brawl (prior to Smash 4's release) than they would Project M.

I personally would like to see the game go as Smash 4 is getting quite large, and with possible EVO exposure coming for the game in 2016, it will be one of the biggest games on stage.

As someone who has organized Smash tournaments for the past 8 years running, the cancellation of Project M is a bit bittersweet victory amongst the Texas Smash community as a whole. Dallas, where I live, made it a mandatory staple for tournaments to the point where FX Game Exchange in Plano hosts weeklies for the game. Houston, under the general direction of my close friends, does not. As a matter of fact, my friends down in Houston would much prefer to play Brawl (prior to Smash 4's release) than they would Project M.

I personally would like to see the game go as Smash 4 is getting quite large, and with possible EVO exposure coming for the game in 2016, it will be one of the biggest games on stage.
Interesting, there was smaller things like the boundary lines and tripping that annoyed me in Brawl. My cousin and friends got into PM and we played that instead. Smash 4 0 feels floaty for me but i am trying to ignore it since more people play it.
So, you a regular in the "NSFW section"? ;)
Project M is that important. My friend message me while I was on FB, i was in a shock that it happened since i forgot bout that detail.

Arc System Works to release 4 fighting games on steam in 2016:

-Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-
-Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code
-Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late
-BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma Extend

Back