General Fighting Games Thread

• Thread starter Laughss
  • 3,264 comments
THE Geese Howard? Master of the "soy sauce" (one of the silliest names for one of the most badass theme songs in fighting game history)? How did that one come up in Bamco's mind? I guess they're on a mission to grab every single major bad guy from famous arcade games... Top points for using the original Fatal Fury song, though.

And lack of bad English? 4/10, Bamco. You know it's not true Geese unless he's murdering the language like he murders people... :P :lol:

THE Geese Howard? Master of the "soy sauce" (one of the silliest names for one of the most badass theme songs in fighting game history)? How did that one come up in Bamco's mind? I guess they're on a mission to grab every single major bad guy from famous arcade games... Top points for using the original Fatal Fury song, though.

And lack of bad English? 4/10, Bamco. You know it's not true Geese unless he's murdering the language like he murders people... :P :lol:
At least they carried his voice actor. 7/10.

At least they carried his voice actor. 7/10.

Quite, at least they didn't muck it up with a random choice of voice actor. I do giggle a bit at how Bamco would've explained the script to him...

"Ok, how do I tackle Geese's voice for this? Do I need to keep the Engrish...?"

"No sir, you need to speak English. Geese may be a Japanophile, but he needs proper English words."

"What kind of English? Lee Chaolan's?" (perhaps that's why Geese beat him up in the trailer, over language issues :dopey:)

"No, we mean actual English."

:lol:

I think they did a good job transiting Gouki over to Tekken 7....Maybe Harada is trying to help out Capcom and SNK. (Granted that some of Akuma's SFIV combos work in T7...)

I have to wonder though - why is ESPN (in general) showing EVO? I thought they're home to baseball, football and basketball (and college sports through ESPNU).

E-sports is getting bigger than ever, with most of the younger generation into gaming than sports.

I just saw the Geese Howard trailer. Tekken 7 may not be big enough to house so many bad asses. This is kind of an age where we don't have so much brand loyalty anymore. We're seeing more characters cross-promoted in games. Next thing you know it, we'll probably see Master Chief in the Super Smash Bros. series or something. Very cool stuff here.

Earlier yesterday, ESPNU shown a replay of the Street Fighter V competition from EVO 2017. I hinted in a YouTube Live stream about what it would take to have M.U.G.E.N. as part of the EVO championships. Not as many original characters along with a lot of legality issues are probably factors as to why we don't have a proper MUGEN tournament. However, there have been plenty other MUGEN tournaments and even certain tournaments featuring MUGEN including Combo Breaker.

Speaking of the aforementioned M.U.G.E.N., I finally was able to make a proper template I can be proud of in designing characters. I basically took an older Kung Fu Man (KFM) and made several edits for which to make new characters with. All that remains is being able to test certain commands and do the appropriate spriting. I have no interest in re-creating existing characters or making edits. I will only be using others' material in serving as placeholders or as bases for designing my own original material.

If I decide to get back into 3D modeling, I want to maybe try my hand at the popular EF-12 3D fighting game engine. Many liken EF-12 as a 3D MUGEN. I see it more an opportunity to design a Virtua Fighter or Tekken style game and characters with the look and feel of those two games.

My musings are done. Keep playing them fighting games! :)

Marvel vs. Capcom infinite has come out I don't know after checking out the game and watching the trailers when game doesn't interest me for some reason this is the first Marvel versus Capcom game that I didn't get on day one

Marvel vs. Capcom infinite has come out I don't know after checking out the game and watching the trailers when game doesn't interest me for some reason this is the first Marvel versus Capcom game that I didn't get on day one

Me too. Been a fan since before these games were out on mainstream home consoles. I used to skip school to play X-men vs Street Fighter, the first Marvel vs Capcom, and so on. For the first time, this game does not interest me at all. reading some reviews on Steam verified my concerns. A game like that is simply not worth a full price tag...

Rumor Patrol: Neo Geo Battle Colosseum 2 is in development over at SNK.

Leaked character list (so far) [Organized by series]:

[King of Fighters]
Ash Crimson
Kula Diamond
Athena
Kensou

[Fatal Fury]
Andy Bogard
Wolfgang Krauser
Kain R. Heinlein
Grant

[Ikari Warriors]
Ralf Jones
Clark Still

[Art of Fighting]
John Crawley

[Magician Lord]
Elta

[Samurai Shodown]
Rimururu
Ukyo Tachibana

[Metal Slug]
Fiolina 'Fio' Germi
Mars People (as a boss)
General Morden (as a boss)

[Agressors of Dark Kombat]
Joe Kusanagi
Kisarah Westfield

[Last Blade]
Hibiki
Kagami

[Kizuna Encounter]
Sho
Rosa
Sue-il
Jyazu (boss)

[World Heroes]
Captain Kidd
Neo Dio (boss)
Neo Geegus (Boss)

[Blue Journey]
G-Mantle

[Savage Reign]
King Lion (leaked as Shishi-oh) (boss)

[Original Characters]
Goodman (boss)
Mizuchi (boss)
Three more original bosses

Evo Lineup for 2018:

Tekken 7
Street Fighter V
BlazeBlue Cross Tag Battle
Smash 4
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
Injustice 2
Melee
Dragon Ball Fighter Z

Is BBCTB already finished? I hope they are testing it before it comes out. Blake and Yang are free DLC but that MVC2 fight between Sandford Kelly and Jwong!

Whaaat I thought Dragon Ball FighterZ was the only Arc System Works game coming out this year! How did I not hear about BlazBlue Tag until now? I'm glade there's another BB game but... was really hoping for a new 3Dish one using UE4 like Xrd, I guess that'll exist in 2020. Nearly half of the characters being DLC and none from Guilty Gear does sound crappy though.
Also, pumped for SCVI! I hope it's at least as good as III or IV, fingers crossed for a decent amount of offline content, Taki and Lizardmen.

Last edited:
Soul Calibur 6 confirmed for 2018. PS4, Xbox one and Steam.

I'll jump back into SC with this one. The last time I played a Soul Caliber game, was in SCIV on the 360. I ventured online and quickly discovered that I was a scrub. While my Mitsurugi paused and stopped moving after every command, the guys I was fighting characters moved continuously. That was my first peek at top tier play. Something I never got the hang of. :(

I recently returned to MUGEN to download about 25 characters and seven stages. This bumps up my MUGEN to about 170 characters and almost 50 stages on my active roster. I had an interesting idea to sort characters into classes. However, I want to go back to a basic collection of characters rather than have some elaborate-looking Character Select screen. So I now see myself simplifying my Character Select screen. And also, I've been wanting to go back to the older style VS. screen. That is because I tried to edit it and didn't like the results. So I am basically looking to edit my MUGEN a bit further. I may possibly even try again making a proper character and/or a proper stage.

EF-12 is like a 3D MUGEN. Depending on play style, EF-12 can either be like Tekken or Virtua Fighter. I think EF-12 is a bit more along the Virtua Fighter side mostly for ring-out moments. While I haven't created anything for EF-12, I am a bit interested in making my own characters and stages. There isn't as much popularity with EF-12 as there is with MUGEN, though. Of course, MUGEN been around MUCH longer- like 1999 longer.

So what's good with you folks with fighting games? :)

Somewhat off topic, but I recently was invited to participate in a speedrunning marathon for my fighting games. I submitted a game that I know that I am good at.

Somewhat off topic, but I recently was invited to participate in a speedrunning marathon for my fighting games. I submitted a game that I know that I am good at.
This sounds interesting, is it public? I'd submit a time for Bushido Blade or something just for fun.
Edit: Also, something I wanted but didn't expect has come true, it's old news but Zasalamel is back in SCVI!

On Twitch right now, I am watching the CAPCOM Pro Tour featuring the European Regional Finals from EGX 2018. This Street Fighter V Arcade Edition looks very cool. Or at least, there was some variation of SFV that I saw. There is a good deal of arcade nostalgia while still having a modern feel overall.

But now, I just saw this Street Fighter 4 tournament match between Sagat vs. Rufus on the same channel.

Anyone try 'Bud Spencer & Terence Hill - Slaps and Beans' ?

Looks hilarious, and it's dirt cheap too.

Back