Genki is considering the development for new Tokyo Xtreme Racer (Shutokou Battle)

• Thread starter MJ6feet6
  • 908 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are working on a new TXR title, I'd really hope they release it on PC. It would make sense given how rapidly the PC market has grown since the series' demise back in the mid-2000s.

Things have changed quite a lot since then, and I don't really have any intentions on buying a current-gen console. I can dream, I guess.

I wonder what's going on from what I could piece together from machine translations of their twitter and Facebook. They entered a genki liveried car into a race at twin ring motegi and the president of genki was driving. I think....
They don't seem to have eluded to a new game yet as far as I can tell.

Reactions: VXR
A bit off topic, but I picked this up off Yahoo Japan recently, not even knowing such a thing existed.
Apparently it's an unused retailer display for SB Zero. The sheet is about 1/4" thick and is full of pictures that punch out and presumably are stuck to various places around the store.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe they're taking photographs to model it in an upcoming game? Obviously, they'd add tarmac, but if I recall, Polyphony Digital did something very similar with Matternhorn in Gran Turismo 6. Imagine if this is for Kaido Racer 3?
I think it was for training for that 12hr race they just did

You can see a programmer doing some tests to a game. Or he could be chilling.

I really hope they make this one good, and maybe go for a storyline approach that follows the Dreamcast-PS2 era.
Well you can see a guy sitting in front of a computer with a blurred out screen. And thats as good as any "evidence" of a new TXR game as we have had in near a decade.
I FEEL LIKE WE ARE SEARCHING FOR BIGFOOT!
*sigh*
I will continue to wait. and hope for it to be true. Because I love this series.
I should just hook up my PS2 again huh?

Well you can see a guy sitting in front of a computer with a blurred out screen. And thats as good as any "evidence" of a new TXR game as we have had in near a decade.
I FEEL LIKE WE ARE SEARCHING FOR BIGFOOT!
*sigh*
I will continue to wait. and hope for it to be true. Because I love this series.
I should just hook up my PS2 again huh?
Why would you ever unhook it? Best roster of video games ever.

That computer setup though, and they have a server rig. So there may be online on the next installment.
That may be. But one thing genki have been posting alot about is corporate recruitment.

IMO, Zero was the pinnacle of the series. That game had it all. The atmosphere, the billions of cars, the absolutely incredible Techno-Thrash soundtrack, dear god. The physics are a little...funny and you have to exploit the AI to win anything, but it is SO good. TRX3's music is really bad (at least, what I've heard of the OST), has way less cars since Genki couldn't do the code-name workaround, and overall just doesn't have the atmosphere of TRX0, not to mention it has only one traffic car thanks to Japanese automotive companies' hatred of street racing. Drift 2 is hard as balls personally and I don't find touge racing to be as fun as highway racing.

Zero is just something else. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's got that amazing Japanese flair and the atmosphere is dark and foreboding, yet also mesmerizing. Flying down the highways of Tokyo at 190+MPH with a rival hot on my tail while Doom Breaker blasts out of my speaker is one of the most unforgettable experiences of my gaming career. The OST for this game is just incredible. The music when you're just cruising and looking for rivals is amazing, as is the music when you're in the menus. Japanese devs know how to make godlike OST's.

My only real criticism of Zero is that it pretty much forces you to use very few cars. You can't re-challenge rivals for money, and upgrades are so ludicrously expensive (and necessary since it always feels like your rivals have 300 more HP than you ever do) that you pretty much can only drive one car at a time. The C-Class cars are borderline worthless since they'll get outclassed really quick, so the only sane way to start is to buy a B-class car, then grab an A-Class car and use that the whole rest of the game. I love my R33 but I really wish I could have a few more cars just for the variety.

If they're making a new TRX, then I hope to god that
a.) It's a spiritual successor to TRX0
b.) It's licensed and translated by something who wasn't half-braindead like TRX0 was
c.) It has some old-school Skylines! The R-series are great, of course, but damn I want to drive one of those Hakosukas!

Last edited:
Genki's Twitter account is more active than it was before... and I'm using google translate for a few posts made by them. They were discussing sales, and other stuff.

And do not not have the sales channels , it is a problem because not a quality enough to sell . Things that are sold in the overseas sites are things that we do not know custody . Sheesh . @ Ibaken1029 " somehow Genki is hella want ?? Do not be able to sell the stickers "

[ Aim ○ million people ] Genki retweets here for anyone who wants to put out a " capital high battle " in stationary machine Co., Ltd. ! Lively opinions and requests , complaints and inquiries also not not please let us know ! Maybe you put out if the sell much Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 . http://www.genki.co.jp/ # Shutoko Battle New

That is all the interesting stuff I found this week. Note, these are Google translations, and I am not Japanese, but it is a "rough" estimate on what they are doing in Japan.

Edit: Also I think the game has been green lighted. All we can do is hope for an release in mid 2017, maybe 2018 since it seems like a big project.

Last edited:
Recently Genki has posted a couple of tweets a few hours ago. They seem to be about the Tokyo Game Show. Two of them I have translated and I have to say, things are now getting interesting.
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Reading that second tweet translated is slowly giving me chills. Are they hinting at a announcement at TGS for that TXR reboot!!!!???? :confused:

I can only say one thing: They are a very mysterious company, but at least they communicate with their own fans. Unlike PolyPhony Digital does.

I think things will be interesting from here on out, Genki cannot back out of this, because they sold stickers just for another TXR.

Last edited:
The translations are so bad they're pretty much useless to actually learning anything.
Agree and it only got worse with these two new tweets i've posted in terms of understanding. I've had multiple thoughts going around with them. Are they going to TGS and making an announcement? Are they going to TGS but not make a announcement and instead just visiting?

And the second tweet is kinda wrapping my head. I know game devs have done something similar like this when teasing an upcoming release so I hope we're right on what Genki is trying to do right now. They've probably made enough money from that Soccer Team Collaboration thing and some cash from the recent racing events they've been to to greenlight the project, plus they got the GRP revived. All of this shows a good chance we may see an announcement at TGS.

can only say one thing: They are a very mysterious company, but at least they communicate with their own fans. Unlike PolyPhony Digital does.
Remember during TXR3 when you defeated each city and each stage, there was some dialogue with vague phrases?

That's what Genki is making me think of.

Reactions: K'
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back