Ghost recon wildlands

• Thread starter boomee
  • 160 comments
Loved the original Ghost Recon (and Splinter Cell) games on the Xbox, circa 2002. Since then I haven't liked any of them. Not sure what to think about this.

Last edited:
Always been a fan of the Ghosts series and open world so this will be a nice combo. As of now, a day one buy for me.
I've actually enjoyed the past few iterations of GR. Even the much hated Future Soldier :lol: I'll be picking this up as well.

I've actually enjoyed the past few iterations of GR. Even the much hated Future Soldier :lol: I'll be picking this up as well.
Nice. I didn't hate FS that much but it is my least favorite in the series.

It would be cool if they offered a Wild Lands/Rainbow Six offer......

I saw the gameplay footage yesterday and liked what I saw - but I have never played a Ghost Recon game before (or any Clancy-branded game, for that matter; the heavy focus on multiplayer put me off Rainbow Six Siege and The Division). I'm looking for a spiritual successor to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, and I am hoping this will be it, but the extended demo did look like it was trying to be an action shooter - probably to appease the crowd - so I am hoping that there will be a greater emphasis on stealth mechanics.

Really on the fence here whether I should get Wildlands or not...

This upcoming open beta will give me an answer.

Looks very good, but the gameplay looks sorta sketchy. Very square and not so smooth character movement.

Open beta is preloaded and ready to go, keen to see how well it runs on my PC given how stunning the open world looks.

So this is out tomorrow, anyone get it? I have it preloading right now on UPlay. It looks really cool and I can't wait to play it and it should hold me over until Mass Effect and MLB come out.

So this is out tomorrow, anyone get it? I have it preloading right now on UPlay. It looks really cool and I can't wait to play it and it should hold me over until Mass Effect and MLB come out.
Yep. My favorite series in the Tom Clancy franchise, open world and stealth is where it's at. I should have some fun with this game. Still debating if I want to start with no HUD or play through and then do the no HUD after I get familiar. I guess it depends if the dudes I play with are down for it.

I read, not sure the legitimacy, but the map is 154 square miles.....crazy.

Just installed and updated it. Feeling downright rotten because of my hay fever, so I fiddled around with the customisation options for a while, but right now I just want to sleep for a week. Will probably get around to playing it properly later in the week once I'm feeling better.

I'm looking forward to PC benchmarks of this game, as with any big Ubisoft launch (except... Steep?). I tried playing the beta, and the game didn't perform as well as I thought even if I was being conservative with the visual settings.

Well i'm just done with a 11.5 hour stint of Wildlands.

As with all Ubisoft games, there are a decent amount of glitches and bugs still, but most of them are either funny or just not that noticeable.

However playing with friend(s) makes the game so much fun. Trying to go all stealth on all the enemy bases is truly a challenging task. We do die alot and make stupid mistakes but the fun part makes up for it all, and then some.

Will definitely play this game for weeks, probably unhealty amounts of hours every day. :lol:

Well i'm just done with a 11.5 hour stint of Wildlands.

As with all Ubisoft games, there are a decent amount of glitches and bugs still, but most of them are either funny or just not that noticeable.

However playing with friend(s) makes the game so much fun. Trying to go all stealth on all the enemy bases is truly a challenging task. We do die alot and make stupid mistakes but the fun part makes up for it all, and then some.

Will definitely play this game for weeks, probably unhealty amounts of hours every day. :lol:
Me too, about 12 hours played since last night. My approach has been search for weapons and attachments, arm myself as needed then proceed with main story line.

Found the D-50, rarely use my sidearm but this bad boy saves your a__ .

Even after that many hours, I still haven't seen about 40% of the map.

After messing around with the customisation options, I wonder how many Naked Snake clones are out there. Give your character the shaggy hairstyle and business beard, colour them grey and give yourself an eyepatch, and you have a Naked Snake clone. You can even colour your gear to look like a sneaking suit.

Played around a little bit this afternoon, mostly to get a feel for the controls. Will probably start over and start properly tomorrow or Friday. This is actually something that I do pretty often - I hate missing out on story details early on because I'm still trying to figure out how to get into a vehicle or switch my weapons. I've only done the first mission and spent fifteen minutes exploring, but I do have some thoughts o the game:

Right now, it feels like a cross between Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and Far Cry 4. That is by no means a bad thing, since they're two of my favourite games. It borrows from Metal Gear Solid V because of the stealth mechanics, open-ended mission structure and the way you have to plan every mission ahead (although I am yet to find a way to accomplish objectives without killing everything that moves), but isn't burdened by the Kojima-isms of psychic children, teleporting swimsuit models, rocket-powered prosthetics and an anatomically-correct walking tank with a machine gun for a penis (and no, I'm not kidding on that final point). On the other hand, it feels like Far Cry 4 because it mirrors the system of liberating individual territories from a local boss, but it seems to embrace a much less linear structure - in Far Cry 4, you had to take all of Pagan Min's lieutenants down in order, but here it looks like you can go after El Sueño early on (and I wonder if there are consequences for your actions, like his being weaker if you take more of his people down).

I only really have one criticism so far, and it's that the characters are pretty thin. I don't even know my character's name (I read somewhere that it's "Nomad", but I prefer to think of him as "Hollywood" because he looks like an action movie star), and my squad are all fairly interchangeable when it comes to personality. Maybe it's because I was spoiled with Final Fantasy XV, where there's a real sense of camaraderie between the main characters, but here the squad are mostly there to back me up. Hopefully they will come alive as the story progresses. And speaking of the story, the resemblance to Metal Gear Solid V and Far Cry 4 might leave Ghost Recon Wildlands with some very big shoes to fill - both games explore some very complex, mature themes, the kind of which I have never seen any text attempt to address. It's pretty obvious that there's more going on in Bolivia than meets the eye, so hope springs eternal.

Silly question: how active are the camouflage mechanics? Does choosing a camouflage print suitable to the local environment offer additional cover, or is it purely cosmetic? The last game I played with an active mechanic was Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, where had to mix and match your face paint and fatigues to suit the local terrain and your visibility was measured by an on-screen display. In Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, it was a much more passive system, where you just got a description of the terrain that a particular pattern was suited to. It's easy enough to change your colours in Ghost Recon Wildlands, but is there any actual benefit to it?

Silly question: how active are the camouflage mechanics? Does choosing a camouflage print suitable to the local environment offer additional cover, or is it purely cosmetic? The last game I played with an active mechanic was Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, where had to mix and match your face paint and fatigues to suit the local terrain and your visibility was measured by an on-screen display. In Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, it was a much more passive system, where you just got a description of the terrain that a particular pattern was suited to. It's easy enough to change your colours in Ghost Recon Wildlands, but is there any actual benefit to it?
This is something I was wondering as well, and was just talking about it last night while playing with @Oso Actual. I never got around to actually testing it, but having not changed my outfit for a majority of my playtime so far, I can't seem to notice any difference when going to different regions. Like I said though, I have not tried this out specifically.

I believe the camo is for immersion only. Haven't fully tested it but I can snipe and sneak in bright white alpine camo without being seen in desert. I did notice laying prone is helpful when enemies are searching. I'd like to be wrong though. ..

Back