Give us better sounds - PLEASE !!

• Thread starter steamcat
  • 4,667 comments
GT5 sound quality is great, while authenticity - not so good. I am using Harman Kardon AVR with a surround speakers set from Mordaunt Short - Carnival series set. Using LCPM audio, there's nothing to compare in terms of sound clarity and quality, as most games do have 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM audio, Xbox is lacking in this. Unfortunately PD did not make use of it, if only they made better sound samples, more details and better mixing levels ... the good thing is when changing cars, turn up the volume, the start up noise rocks the house :)

I use a 7.1 headset and I don't hear better engine sounds. I just hear the awful engine sounds more clearly and at a higher frequency. A better sound system won't fix the games flawed engine sounds.

👍👍👍

That's the problem - as with the OP in this thread, the overall GT5 sound quality isn't the issue, but these threads keep getting replies debating it. And I completely agree, even with a great sound system with a huge subwoofer, only a few cars' engines sound better (Chaparral 2D in the woofer is IMO the most meaty engine in GT5). What you mainly notice other than poor engine sounds that are even more clearly audible, is the engine sound in many cars is even more isolated to one side or the other, which is annoying.

I do find myself at least wishing I had a parametric eq or something that I could apply to filter the high end, maybe that at least could fix some (or all) of the engine sounds that don't sound so impressive. Does your system have anything like that where you can, I don't know, scoop out the bothersome frequencies?

GT5 sound quality is great, while authenticity - not so good. I am using Harman Kardon AVR with a surround speakers set from Mordaunt Short - Carnival series set. Using LCPM audio, there's nothing to compare in terms of sound clarity and quality, as most games do have 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM audio, Xbox is lacking in this. Unfortunately PD did not make use of it, if only they made better sound samples, more details and better mixing levels ... the good thing is when changing cars, turn up the volume, the start up noise rocks the house :)

I'm only using normal stereo studio speakers (older Cerwin Vegas) and I think the sounds aren't as bad as some make them out to be.

I'm sure PD will grow their database of sounds, they already have the foundation to work on, it's all just the matter of updating and replacing some existing samples.

I fully tuned my Lamborghini Miura, from Lvl 10 GTA Seasonal ticket, with racing exhaust and it has precisely the same engine note as my Peugeot 908 HDi FAP.

I just cried a little...

At TGS 2010, Kaz remarked that engine sounds were improved....eh...not so sure.

There are not many people in the sound department according to the ending credits. About 2 or 3 only.

The samples themselves are the main problem, they need to be re-recorded with a better method, or remixed better, I really don't know how everything went so bad, some cars do sound realistic, but they have some sort of unknown noise that PD added thinking it would be realistic, the best example of this is the e92 M3, you can hear the v8 sound being drowned by the horrendous whistle, other cars, almost all of them are just wrong, don't even sound like engines at all.

here's a video I found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaoPGgF-7yc

BTW, How do I make videos playable from here?

Last edited:
The samples themselves are the main problem, they need to be re-recorded with a better method, or remixed better, I really don't know how everything went so bad, some cars do sound realistic, but they have some sort of unknown noise that PD added thinking it would be realistic, the best example of this is the e92 M3, you can hear the v8 sound being drowned by the horrendous whistle, other cars, almost all of them are just wrong, don't even sound like engines at all.

here's a video I found

Using any Youtube video, you need

Last edited:
Why do people care about the sound so much? Sure, I want them to actually sound like cars, but they don't need to be perfect. If you want them to sound right, then other parts of the game will suffer. I personally feel they can sacrifice car sounds a bit to focus on making other aspects good.

If you want them to sound right, then other parts of the game will suffer. I personally feel they can sacrifice car sounds a bit to focus on making other aspects good.
No it won't. As we've seen, PD actually spent some development time recording actual car sounds. This means that the other parts of the game shouldn't suffer. Hopefully, if PD does record the sounds again, they'll do it correctly this time.

Do you really think deaf people care about the sound of a car? I'm pretty sure they don't. I know that there are some deaf people on this sight, and I feel they would agree with me.

Do you really think deaf people care about the sound of a car? I'm pretty sure they don't. I know that there are some deaf people on this sight, and I feel they would agree with me.

Yeah all 5 of them (that guess i'm sure is on the high side) . Are you serious?

:dunce:

I have officially left the argument.

There is a sound team. Sound team needs more staff or sound team needs better technology/practices.

That's the bottom line. Forza outsources sound to a London studio. I would never expect PD to outsource anything, especially sound...but it's definitely a concern for many.

Granted, but a lot of people aren't deaf.

Simon said it already, but I'll say it again: Worst. Argument. Ever.

So I'm not allowed to voice my opinion without a lot of people flaming me with nobody backing me up? So I guess everyone who argues with me wants me to die or something bad like that. :(

Don't feel bad, otakukid96. You're alright in my book....BUT:

What we're really saying is your opinion is coming off almost like a fact.

If I were to say: If PD adds the new Mustang Boss 302 and Camaro ZL1, then there will be one less modeler and no time to model the Bugatti Veyron! It's just broken in so many aspects.

As far as sounds go, RACECAR has provided some great user-videos that show how important sounds are to any driver/ gamer.

In my opinion, Kaz is so obsessed with sheer graphical presentation and physics, that sound is completely forgotten and put on hold.

EDIT: AI and sound are some of the smallest teams in the PD credits list. No wonder they are some of the biggest complaints we have.

Last edited:
There better be real sounds in GT6, BIG TIME. Or else PD will pay the price for it. That's total BS of them to not get real sounds for GT5. DON'T screw it up for GT6 PD!

That's seriously treating the cars disrespect.

Wait for GTR3 to see why i am so pissed with GT5 engine sounds...quality is other thing apart of the realistic engine sounds...that is what we are asking for.

If you play as i said many times other games...a wider range of them you´ll find that every one get engine sounds right. Bests: Race 07/GTR Evolution, GTR2 and latests mods for rFactor. And some RBR mods with rally cars of course. (go to you tube and see, as easy as that)

http://gtr3.com/

That´s how the game sounds now (with realistic engine, gearbox, revs, ambience sounds) but it seems that they are going to include the "echo" sound.
Imagine that for replays...:drool:

Driving cars without realistic engine sounds is like driving cars with no soul...

here's a video I found

Without intake, all that is left is the whirring engine noise.

The guy touches on that, almost, in that video when he mentions the cars aren't recorded "under load", although it's not really the "load" that determines the noise, it's the throttle position. Obviously, a larger "load" requires more power to overcome, and more power typically comes from wider throttle openings, so it's sort of circular; but in terms of acoustics, it's the throttle position that first determines the sound (adding more "load" to an engine without changing any input to it will just make it slow down, but it won't really sound any different.)

However, the Audi R8 was almost certainly recorded on a dyno (and a smattering of others were, too; plus some were recorded on track) - so why don't they have intake sounds either? Perhaps it's for consistency; not all cars have accurate intake sounds, so they leave it out for all of them. Maybe they'll have caught up on that by the time GT6 rolls around, and maybe they'll put those intake sounds to proper use, too.

This is just awful

The guy is using what looks like a MP3 player or cell phone to record exhaust sounds 👎

hyundai-polyphony-digital-gt6-e1345057886798.jpg

I don't even have the words to describe the kinds of attitudes seen in the news post about this, and sadly which Earth seems to have reflected in the post above. The mic is sort of camouflaged, but I noticed it the first time I looked at the picture (well, I noticed the stand...). Also, what about the wire attached to the car itself?

Do you really think PD would record their sounds with an MP3 player (hello: start-up sounds)? Even then, you do know there are quality hand-held recorders out there, with excellent "capsules" on them? Try thinking first, people.

Anyway, it actually looks like he's holding a camera.

Back