Give us better sounds - PLEASE !!

• Thread starter steamcat
  • 4,667 comments

Of course not. Given the amount of "duplicate" cars, PD would not have to record sounds 1000 separate times. Furthermore, the sound for one car can also be used for another. For example, all of the 4-cylinder Subarus should have the same sound, so that's 27 cars done just like that. The same can be said for the Skyline GT-Rs, Mazda MX-5s, S2000s, and a lot more.

My ears...

It's obvious they just change the pitch of the sound to simulate the RPM change

I've looked through the sound files of many PC games through the years, and all of them always had the following sound samples

• Idle
  • Low Rev
  • Med Rev
  • High Rev

Apparently GT only has

• Idle
  • "Cruise"
  • Wide Open Throttle

Grand Prix
The consistently bad sound could be for any number of reasons. Maybe the sound people are good friends of Kaz who only have basic skills, but he wanted to give them a job? Maybe Kaz isn't overseeing the sound department as much as the others, because he doesn't care as much? Maybe the sound department is under constant time pressures and don't have time for perfection? We don't know.

Makes you wonder. I think Corvette Conquer posted a video grab of credits showing there were only 3 people responsible for sound in Gran Turismo. This is out of a staff of 140+.

I wonder if Kaz understands the graphics have gone overkill and its time to fix the sound

My ears...

Makes you wonder. I think Corvette Conquer posted a video grab of credits showing there were only 3 people responsible for sound in Gran Turismo. This is out of a staff of 140+.

Yea, in the credits, only 3 people were designated for sound. 1 lead sound engineer + 2 sound "simulators".

The video again.
Pause at 0:45

Masao Kimura- Lead sound engineer. I wonder if that's who was in the recent Veloster Turbo picture...hm!

Jav
Why are they recording in such a loud and noisy instrument such as a Dyno!!? I'm pretty sure that at the top of 3rd gear the sound made by the dyno more than overwhelms what's coming out of the tail pipes...

Recording sounds on a running and breaking Dyno is not the best way.
BTW, maybe we hear the screaming of the Dyno in GT5 (Vacuum)?

Why not record the sound like here? Skip to 1:20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vspbymhaLEg

This is how a M3 should sound!

Snake206
In my opinion the sounds of the engines are ok in GT5 and a great jump compared the past, some to be reviewed, but after all good. I love the bass produced by the subwoofer with some cars.
But more than anything else for a better and complete experience they should add sounds from various parts of the car like brakes whistles, body squeaks and other effects such as the bottom of the car hitting the pavement/curbs and similar. Only with these improvements GT6 will be great:)

Couldn't agree more! I also think they should add in loud backfire noises and turbo waste gate flapping. You should be frightened by your car!

No they can't.
new5_muttley.gif

Whether they actually know how to make proper sound or not is irrelevant, it's about what they actually do. I'm pretty sure Michael Bay would have been taught early on in film school not to rely on random explosions to drive a scene forward, but whether he actually decides to use this advice or not is up to him. In other words, just because they are taught how to make excellent sound for a game, doesn't mean they will.

And there is no evidence to suggest that clipping, of all things, is what is causing GT's sound problems!
Making a good sound loop isn't really about being taught, anyway; anyone who's tried it knows exactly what I mean. You can read about how to do it, someone can even show you, but each loop is different, so you have to learn how to tackle them for yourself in the end. It's not "difficult" per se, just a pain in the arse.

The correct "Michael Bay" analogy would be that he shoots a scene without making sure everyone who's supposed to be in it, are actually in it. Maybe he does that, I don't know, but it's as fundamental an error there is.
The consistently bad sound could be for any number of reasons. Maybe the sound people are good friends of Kaz who only have basic skills, but he wanted to give them a job? Maybe Kaz isn't overseeing the sound department as much as the others, because he doesn't care as much? Maybe the sound department is under constant time pressures and don't have time for perfection? We don't know.

Or maybe they're working on something else, and the recycled GT2 samples are just a stopgap.
What I do know is, I don't like how most of the cars in GT games sound, and that simply it's fun to poke fun at PD and company. :lol: It's just a bit of fun arm chair criticizing. We know a film like Transformers takes millions of dollars and hundreds of people (people that have to believe they are making something fantastic, it's part of their job) to make, and that it is very difficult to accomplish such a thing. But we can still make fun of its flaws. 👍

It's fine to poke fun; just don't expect not to have the favour returned. ;)

And while i'm at it, they need to get proper gearchange sounds back. Every single car sounds like its a freakin' paddle shift or something!! :grumpy:

If you're referring to the robotic shift speed, that's a gameplay balance (vs. wheel users with H-patterns) and physics (clutch, drivetrain) plus control (button shifts) issue. There are numerous ways it could be improved; namely setting shift speed according to how hard or fast you hit the button, or adding a clutch button.

It is not, in itself, a sound issue.
My ears...

It's obvious they just change the pitch of the sound to simulate the RPM change

I've looked through the sound files of many PC games through the years, and all of them always had the following sound samples

• Idle
  • Low Rev
  • Med Rev
  • High Rev
Apparently GT only has

• Idle
  • "Cruise"
  • Wide Open Throttle

The cars, in GT5 at least, seem to have idle sounds, plus low speed and high speed sounds for exhaust and "engine". That's 5 samples per car.

The real quality issue is that the samples are fairly short, and that there are only two rpm-sample points. Sample-based synthesis relies on pitch-bending to fill in the gaps between samples; all games do it. Obviously the effect is improved with more samples, but you have to put them somewhere, i.e. in memory. Interestingly, GT's pitching effect is superior to most games; it's just the samples are too short, so they sound thin when they are pitched. GPL, and iRacing as a result, have similarly superior pitching for apparently the same reasons, and GPL only uses one sample.

A possible "fix" would be to remove the separate engine sound (since it's inaccurate anyway, given its lack of intake noise) and use the extra memory to add another sample point and increase the sample length slightly. This would be closer to Forza's sampling system (single source.)
I'd personally prefer it if they kept the separate sources, but added intake to the "engine" sound. It'd make a massive difference in most cases.
Yea, in the credits, only 3 people were designated for sound. 1 lead sound engineer + 2 sound "simulators".

That is actually potentially very exciting, although I should probably keep my enthusiasm in check for now.
Recording sounds on a running and breaking Dyno is not the best way.
BTW, maybe we hear the screaming of the Dyno in GT5 (Vacuum)?

Why not record the sound like here? Skip to 1:20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vspbymhaLEg

This is how a M3 should sound!

That video is full of road noise; it's no different to recording on a dyno. The only real benefit (potentially) is the lack of early reflections, but they can be pulled out of the recording with the right attention. (And in fact, I think I might have just figured out what that wire on the car's bumper was for).

Interestingly, Forza doesn't suffer with dyno noise in its samples, does it? Yet they made prolific use of them for recording.

Griffith500
If you're referring to the robotic shift speed, that's a gameplay balance (vs. wheel users with H-patterns) and physics (clutch, drivetrain) plus control (button shifts) issue. There are numerous ways it could be improved; namely setting shift speed according to how hard or fast you hit the button, or adding a clutch button.

It is not, in itself, a sound issue.

I think he's refering that there's no pause when changing gears, in Shift 2, even when using a DS3, the gears are not changed instantly, the game actually does the full animation of the driver changing gear and then you can hear the new gear, it also changes from car to car, the mclaren f1 has like the longest pause from all cars in that game, and the Zonda R has the shortest (almost any) but still doesn't feel linear like GT5 does because there's power dropping everytime you change gear, plus in shift you can hear gear clicks in manual cars, brake whine, suspension working and random objects from the road hitting the body.

It's not an issue, it's not even there.

That video is full of road noise; it's no different to recording on a dyno. .

I see a big difference there because in GT5 you are driving on a road and not on a Dyno, so whats wrong with road (tire) noise?

Everything else will be better than the GT5 sound!! 👎

I have to say "Sorry", but what I can see on the pictures of the sound recording of the Hyundai looks anything else than professional.

I think he's refering that there's no pause when changing gears, in Shift 2, even when using a DS3, the gears are not changed instantly, the game actually does the full animation of the driver changing gear and then you can hear the new gear, it also changes from car to car, the mclaren f1 has like the longest pause from all cars in that game, and the Zonda R has the shortest (almost any) but still doesn't feel linear like GT5 does because there's power dropping everytime you change gear, plus in shift you can hear gear clicks in manual cars, brake whine, suspension working and random objects from the road hitting the body.

It's not an issue, it's not even there.

So was I. To clarify: gear changes sound great with an H-shifter and clutch.

Those extra sounds would obviously be welcome.
I see a big difference there because in GT5 you are driving on a road and not on a Dyno, so whats wrong with road (tire) noise?

Everything else will be better than the GT5 sound!! 👎

I have to say "Sorry", but what I can see on the pictures of the sound recording of the Hyundai looks anything else than professional.

No, you don't want arbitrary tyre noise coming from the exhaust. Tyre noise needs to be handled separately, otherwise it only works when the in-game conditions precisely match up with the recording condition; unless you're suggesting they record the engine at the same rpm but different road speeds (gears)? Adding more samples can only ever reduce their quality with a fixed memory budget.

And the only reason it doesn't look professional to you (presumably you're not a professional yourself) is because that's exactly how you want it to look. Maybe they should all be wearing suits?

Sauber_C9
Do you fools know anything about the complications of making realistic sounds? Of course they sound digitised, they are! Would half of you even recognise a more realistic sound? it's not as simple as recording real sounds and then looping them and there will always be a loss in quality as sounds get edited and tweaked. I'd love to know what games you guys think that PD should emulate that actually have realistic car sounds.

It's called Forza 4.

It's called Forza 4.

The word used was realistic, not entertaining - you might as well have said Shift. ;)

I'd argue PGR4 is better, in terms of samples (dedicated interior recordings). FM2 is also miles better than FM4 or 3, as it doesn't rely on distortion for effect, and the sounds change as you modify the cars - it also has separate engine (with intake!) and exhaust sounds. Quite why they went backwards like that is beyond me.

Griffith500
The word used was realistic, not entertaining - you might as well have said Shift. ;)

I'd argue PGR4 is better, in terms of samples (dedicated interior recordings). FM2 is also miles better than FM4 or 3, as it doesn't rely on distortion for effect, and the sounds change as you modify the cars - it also has separate engine (with intake!) and exhaust sounds. Quite why they went backwards like that is beyond me.

Oh please, Turn10's sound effects for Forza 4 are recorded directly from the cars. They're miles better then FM2 or 3, so I don't know what you're on about.

So was I. To clarify: gear changes sound great with an H-shifter and clutch.

Those extra sounds would obviously be welcome.
Why would PD model transmission/drivetrain sounds only if you use an H-pattern shifter to play? That doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
Oh please, Turn10's sound effects for Forza 4 are recorded directly from the cars. They're miles better then FM2 or 3, so I don't know what you're on about.

Try to be in one of the cars of Forza 4 in real life. I have driven R32-R34 GTR in real life in stock and modified ( turbo, BOV, Exhaust, cam, etc ). Forza 4 car sounds are nothing but overly loud stylized sound effects for pure excitement. When you are actually inside a stock unmodified car, certain noise is not as pronounced as in the Forza 4, it may have accurate tone/sound, but the mixing, levels and details are all quite off the mark of authenticity. Same goes to race cars or modified ones, some of the sound mixing have one portion that is too dominant. I have driven one of my mate's R33 GTR with stripped interior, and heavily modded at 400kw at the wheels, Forza 4 never came close when it comes to sound realism.

A good example of how should a tuned R33 GTR sounds inside the cockpit :crazy:

Watch till the end :)
Notice when the turbo spools up and hit peak boost, the intake noise, road(tire/suspension) noise, gear changes, exhaust and engine noise. I really do hope that PD sound department have people who actually compare the real and the game sounds, then actually at least try to have accurate sample + mixing.

The GT5 sound is one of the reasons why I don´t play GT5 any longer and play rather Forza 4 on my XBOX.

I wait very wishfully for GT6 and hope they will improve the sound a lot.

But in the moment I prefer an entertaining sound over an ultra unrealistic sound!

Watching a great graphic with a highly detailed model of an sportscar in GT5 and hear in the same moment this rubbish sound is too much for me!

...., Forza 4 never came close when it comes to sound realism.

I agree!
But on the other side the Forza sound gives me enough feeling of driving a high powered car rather than a car with an electrical engine or with a defect transmission like in GT.

Ridox2JZGTE
Try to be in one of the cars of Forza 4 in real life. I have driven R32-R34 GTR in real life in stock and modified ( turbo, BOV, Exhaust, cam, etc ). Forza 4 car sounds are nothing but overly loud stylized sound effects for pure excitement. When you are actually inside a stock unmodified car, certain noise is not as pronounced as in the Forza 4, it may have accurate tone/sound, but the mixing, levels and details are all quite off the mark of authenticity. Same goes to race cars or modified ones, some of the sound mixing have one portion that is too dominant. I have driven one of my mate's R33 GTR with stripped interior, and heavily modded at 400kw at the wheels, Forza 4 never came close when it comes to sound realism.

A good example of how should a tuned R33 GTR sounds inside the cockpit :crazy:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVrUu_74RQ0">YouTube Link</a>

Watch till the end :)
Notice when the turbo spools up and hit peak boost, the intake noise, road(tire/suspension) noise, gear changes, exhaust and engine noise. I really do hope that PD sound department have people who actually compare the real and the game sounds, then actually at least try to have accurate sample + mixing.

You didn't need to make comparison. Turn10 already said that they made the sound a little bit more charasteristic and over the top.

Correcte if i'm wrong. But still the sound is far better than the GT sound and Turn10 showed that they can make great sound. PD didn't made great sound yet and they have to proof that they can deliver.

You didn't need to make comparison. Turn10 already said that they made the sound a little bit more charasteristic and over the top.

Correcte if i'm wrong. But still the sound is far better than the GT sound and Turn10 showed that they can make great sound. PD didn't made great sound yet and they have to proof that they can deliver.

Agree. I never really get it why Turn10 choose to make it over the top, sounds like some Hollywood sound designer having fun:sly:. But, I guess it's better than the dull and uninspiring sound from PD.

I still wanted both Turn10 and PD choose to have the realistic mixing levels in the future release, then I would be able to enjoy both games more.

Cheng, did you hear the beginning of the video, that startup sound, the sounds from the inside and when he launch next to the other car, imagine that in the game like Forza and GT.

Where exactly do you think they got the sounds for all the other games in the series? In their cereal boxes? No, they were also recorded from the cars. In terms of quality and overall sound design, FM2 blows them all out of the water.
Why would PD model transmission/drivetrain sounds only if you use an H-pattern shifter to play? That doesn't make any sense.

They don't. We were talking about the consistently instantaneous gear changes, which are almost back to GT1 levels. That's not a sound issue, and it isn't even an issue when you change fully manually.
I said, though, that those incidental effects (mentioned in the post I was replying to) would be welcome.

Anyway, the point isn't about which game has the better sound, but about what PD should be doing. And it certainly isn't copying NFS Forza (unless you mean FM2 ;)).
That skyline video has excellent audio quality, and demonstrates why statically-mixed samples (FM3, FM4 - not FM2) suck.

Just FYI -

Forza 4 Sound Team

Creative Audio Director
  1. Nick Wiswell

Audio Design, Recording, and Implementation
  2. Chase Combs (Aquent LLC) Audio Lead
  3. Adam Wilson (CompuCom Systems Inc) - Vehicle Audio Lead
  4. Stafford Brawler (The Audio Guys)
  5. Mike Caviezel
  6. Jon Georgievski (OMNI Audio)
  7. Mark Pospisil (Aquent LLC)
  8. Jason Syltebo (Izze-O-Studio)

Additional Audio Recording
  9. Tim Bartlett (The Audio Guys)
  10. Dan Gardner (The Audio Guys)
  11. Carthach O Nuanain
  12. Jason Shirley

Additional Software Engineer
  13. Robert Ridihhalgh (OMNI Audio)

Additional Audio Software Engineering
  14. Chad Olsen

GT5 Sound Team

Lead Sound Designer
  1. Masao Kimura

Sound Simulation
  2. Daisuke Takeuchi
  3. Youhei Shimizu

Last edited:
FM2 is also miles better than FM4 or 3, as it doesn't rely on distortion for effect, and the sounds change as you modify the cars - it also has separate engine (with intake!) and exhaust sounds. Quite why they went backwards like that is beyond me.

I can assure you that you are in the minority on this one.

I can assure you that you are in the minority on this one.

Objectively speaking, FM2's samples are: cleaner, split into separate intake and exhaust sources and changed when you modify the cars (exhaust only). FM3 and FM4's are not.
If ridiculously distorted sound really is "better" for the "majority" of people (and I can't imagine that's even close to being true), then maybe that's one less point conceded, but the other two are still pretty significant.

@Earth: no sound recordists for PD? I guess they're not credited; maybe PD doesn't consider them part of the team...

Objectively speaking, FM2's samples are: cleaner, split into separate intake and exhaust sources and changed when you modify the cars (exhaust only).

This video is Forza 4. Look at all the micro phones. The sounds are all still split from different sources on the car.

This video is Forza 4. Look at all the micro phones. The sounds are all still split from different sources on the car.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I07SwrI89Hs

That's not Forza 4 at all; that's a real-life recording session. :sly:

You see, I was talking about in-game sound. All of those sources are mixed down into one point-source for playback in-game. That's how the cars sound exaggerated, sources that aren't quite so loud on the real thing are boosted (intake) and the overall tone is adjusted to suit the aesthetic requirements (NFS).

FM2 kept intake and exhaust separate, as you should; FM3 and FM4 don't, so that even in chase view you get a face-full of intake sound - obviously mashed to oblivion first.
Now that's fine if that's the sort of thing you like (NFS), but it's hardly realistic. PGR4 and FM2 were much more realistic, and they sounded great - they should be the quality target for GT, not FM4.

@Earth one of them is apparently a Sony America employee, but there should at least be one more person manning a computer somewhere, that the mics are connected to. "Sound recording" is practically the opposite of "sound simulation", though.

Earth
Just FYI -

Forza 4 Sound Team

Creative Audio Director

[*]Nick Wiswell

Audi Design, Recording, and Implementation
[*]Chase Combs (Aquent LLC) Audio Lead
[*]Adam Wilson (CompuCom Systems Inc) - Vehicle Audio Lead
[*]Stafford Brawler (The Audio Guys)
[*]Mike Caviezel
[*]Jon Georgievski (OMNI Audio)
[*]Mark Pospisil (Aquent LLC)
[*]Jason Syltebo (Izze-O-Studio)

[*]Tim Bartlett (The Audio Guys)
[*]Dan Gardner (The Audio Guys)
[*]Carthach O Nuanain
[*]Jason Shirley

[*]Robert Ridihhalgh (OMNI Audio)

[*]Chad Olsen

GT5 Sound Team

Lead Sound Designer

[*]Masao Kimura

Sound Simulation
[*]Daisuke Takeuchi
[*]Youhei Shimizu

Feel the burn PD

That's clearly an assumption seeing as how you don't have inside info.

I might be wrong in thinking that it's only one source in-game, to be fair (it's certainly no more than two for engine sounds); it's actually hard to tell with all the distortion because it all sounds the same. Still, they don't change when you modify them and they sound daft for supposedly stock cars. I'd rather that didn't happen in GT6.

It's fine to poke fun; just don't expect not to have the favour returned. ;)

I would love if PD returned the favour to me. Maybe we would get something resembling community interaction for once? :lol:

Just FYI -

Forza 4 Sound Team

Creative Audio Director
  1. Nick Wiswell

Audio Design, Recording, and Implementation
  2. Chase Combs (Aquent LLC) Audio Lead
  3. Adam Wilson (CompuCom Systems Inc) - Vehicle Audio Lead
  4. Stafford Brawler (The Audio Guys)
  5. Mike Caviezel
  6. Jon Georgievski (OMNI Audio)
  7. Mark Pospisil (Aquent LLC)
  8. Jason Syltebo (Izze-O-Studio)

9. Tim Bartlett (The Audio Guys)
  10. Dan Gardner (The Audio Guys)
  11. Carthach O Nuanain
  12. Jason Shirley

13. Robert Ridihhalgh (OMNI Audio)

14. Chad Olsen

GT5 Sound Team

Lead Sound Designer
  1. Masao Kimura

Sound Simulation
  2. Daisuke Takeuchi
  3. Youhei Shimizu

Nick Wiswell? Didn't he used to work with Bizarre Crations for the PGR franchise? Pretty cool to see he works with Turn 10 now, didn't even know that 👍

Latest Posts

Back