GM Full Size Trucks In General - 2019 Debuts

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 524 comments
Silverado was unveiled today officially.

Specifics:
  • Eight variants available
  • 450lbs / 204kg lighter
  • Six engine/gearbox configurations (5.3L V8, 6.2L V8, 3.0L Duramax I-6 Diesel - 6.2L & Diesel get new 10-speed auto)
  • Cylinder deactivation (up to 7 cylinders)

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-05.jpg

The diesel six is exciting. Contrary to the comments on the previous page, this is one of the first Chevy Silverados I've actually liked!

They've either been anonymous or ugly to me. Then there's the Sierra which seems to fix whatever issue I have with the Silverado styling.

The diesel six is exciting. Contrary to the comments on the previous page, this is one of the first Chevy Silverados I've actually liked!

They've either been anonymous or ugly to me. Then there's the Sierra which seems to fix whatever issue I have with the Silverado styling.

It is exciting considering that the only other group that does it, sells a subpar truck. I think Dodge makes a decent truck for the job intended and with the Cummins underneath it is even better, but the truck tends to fall apart electronically and interior wise from the several my family has owned over the years. When the engine outlasts the vehicle that to me is an issue, so as much of a non-Duramax fan I am, I hope they've figured out something great. Because the GM stuff tends to hold together better and an I-6 2500 HD GMC would be awesome.

It is exciting considering that the only other group that does it, sells a subpar truck. I think Dodge makes a decent truck for the job intended and with the Cummins underneath it is even better, but the truck tends to fall apart electronically and interior wise from the several my family has owned over the years. When the engine outlasts the vehicle that to me is an issue, so as much of a non-Duramax fan I am, I hope they've figured out something great. Because the GM stuff tends to hold together better and an I-6 2500 HD GMC would be awesome.

The I-6 Duramax is going in the Silverado 1500 to do battle with the Ram 1500 and VM Motori's V6 (and the recently announced Ford F-150 Powerstroke).

I agree with you though. My company has a Ford and a Dodge stake bed and the Dodge's interior is in shambles. Both work like clock's though (12V Cummins and 7.3 Powerstroke, two of the best ever made).

The I-6 Duramax is going in the Silverado 1500 to do battle with the Ram 1500 and VM Motori's V6 (and the recently announced Ford F-150 Powerstroke).

I agree with you though. My company has a Ford and a Dodge stake bed and the Dodge's interior is in shambles. Both work like clock's though (12V Cummins and 7.3 Powerstroke, two of the best ever made).

Well I saw that but my hope is that they actually put it down the road in a bigger size pickup. It's not big enough American market to be HD since it's only 3l but maybe a bigger version down the line could happen.

I can't get over the fact that GM thinks it's a good idea to make suspension components out of plastic. There isn't many, but what there is consistently breaks on a regular basis. I'm getting tired of the excuse "well it's heavy duty composite blah blah blah"...no, no it isnt. It isnt any better than HD delrin.

The other thing is that the IFS in the HD trucks isn't really proving to work as they intended. The straight axle trucks in both other brands have, as expected, faired far better as far as wear and tear goes over heavy abuse especially now during snow plow season. The coils are just not cut out for holding that kind of weight over the front end. I've seen many plow trucks full tilt up nearly dragging on the ground. I laugh every time I see a 1500 with one on it.

I can't get over the fact that GM thinks it's a good idea to make suspension components out of plastic. There isn't many, but what there is consistently breaks on a regular basis. I'm getting tired of the excuse "well it's heavy duty composite blah blah blah"...no, no it isnt. It isnt any better than HD delrin.

The other thing is that the IFS in the HD trucks isn't really proving to work as they intended. The straight axle trucks in both other brands have, as expected, faired far better as far as wear and tear goes over heavy abuse especially now during snow plow season. The coils are just not cut out for holding that kind of weight over the front end. I've seen many plow trucks full tilt up nearly dragging on the ground. I laugh every time I see a 1500 with one on it.

The "plastic" suspension components in the new trucks are actually carbon-composite. Chances are they are more robust than steel component of a similar shape and size. They build supercar and race car suspension out of similar stuff and they're designed to see more abuse than a truck ever would.

Plus, based on all the press info I've read, it looks like it's just the overload springs.

The "plastic" suspension components in the new trucks are actually carbon-composite. Chances are they are more robust than steel component of a similar shape and size. They build supercar and race car suspension out of similar stuff and they're designed to see more abuse than a truck ever would.

Plus, based on all the press info I've read, it looks like it's just the overload springs.
You would think. In theory it's a great idea. This is GM we are talking about. Working for a GM dealership I see them often under 100k miles broke, or completely missing.

Overload springs, sway bar end links, and and few other small things are what its being used on.

I think this is by far the ugliest out of the big three's new trucks, but that inline 6 Duramax is the most interesting engine of the big three, in my opinion.

Specifics:
  • 450lbs / 204kg lighter
  • Six engine/gearbox configurations (5.3L V8, 6.2L V8, 3.0L Duramax I-6 Diesel - 6.2L & Diesel get new 10-speed auto)

I'm not sure about that front grill at all. A lot of people at our dealership feel the same way which is worrisome to us since trucks are our bread and butter. I need to see one in person.

Specifics:
  • 450lbs / 204kg lighter

Looks like you can get it without huge bowtie on the grill
2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-006.jpg

View attachment 706667

Whew, that black and bumper is pretty ugly. But from the photos above, it looks like you can fix it with a quick paint job to go body-colored on the black bit and swap out the lower lip with a chrome one. I wonder what it would look like with just a body-color paint job on the black bumper and keep the grey on the front lip. I can't be bothered to photoshop that myself apparently.

It feels awkward that this is the first Silverado that I've actually wanted, and I kinda like the style they took,

The Custom Trailboss seems like the perfect blend of function and price.

I'm actually disappointed to hear that the 4.3 V6, which was effectively brand new, is AWOL. It was a competent engine with adequate power and I wouldn't have minded one, especially in this new packaging. I'm not scoffing at a GM V8, though.

This truck looks like something from Hialeah that someone crashed and repaired with the cheapest, straight-ABS unpainted bumper put on by their cousin Miguelito.

Interior isnt worth the price this thing will sell for. For a Denali, it isnt more Luxurious than a Long Horn Ram (even without the 12 inch screen)

ca-2019-gmc-sierra-reveal-interior-01-980x432.jpg

Back