GM Full Size Trucks In General - 2019 Debuts

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 524 comments
I fixed the awful thing.

chevy2.jpg

This thing is so bad, my coworker and I were discussing how ugly it was, when my GM popped up out of nowhere and without even knowing what car we were talking about, he remarked, “That new GM truck? Yeah, that’s hideous.” :dunce:

This thing is so bad, my coworker and I were discussing how ugly it was, when my GM popped up out of nowhere and without even knowing what car we were talking about, he remarked, “That new GM truck? Yeah, that’s hideous.” :dunce:
Its exploding everywhere on the internet. At my job, everyone who works in the dealership won't stop talking about it. I think it came up in my own conversations 3 times today alone.

I'd still never pay a mortgage payment for a truck.
Having seen reviews of ludicrously expensive trucks I sort of get it. As long as you don't care about performance, you're getting a car that is comfortable and has loads of luxury features, but looks a lot less expensive/pretentious in a rural area than a European luxury car. And as a bonus, it's a lot more usable in that it'll tow, haul, and go [a bit] off road. I'd still have a decent sports car for that sort of money (996TT, for instance) but I do like the idea of driving perhaps the ultimate stealth luxury vehicle, VW Phaeton notwithstanding.

Having seen reviews of ludicrously expensive trucks I sort of get it. As long as you don't care about performance, you're getting a car that is comfortable and has loads of luxury features, but looks a lot less expensive/pretentious in a rural area than a European luxury car. And as a bonus, it's a lot more usable in that it'll tow, haul, and go [a bit] off road. I'd still have a decent sports car for that sort of money (996TT, for instance) but I do like the idea of driving perhaps the ultimate stealth luxury vehicle, VW Phaeton notwithstanding.
The luxury end of it would be fine of the money if you can consider anything GM makes to be "luxury" past the first 90 days. Their interior quality is God awful.

The luxury end of it would be fine of the money if you can consider anything GM makes to be "luxury" past the first 90 days. Their interior quality is God awful.
I will admit that I'm using @m5power's (Doug DeMuro) videos as a primary source here, but the F250 platinum did look nice. However, the Sierra Denali's interior was just awful, and it's amazing how stereotypically GM it is. I swear you can feel the cheapness of the plastic through the video.

I will admit that I'm using @m5power's (Doug DeMuro) videos as a primary source here, but the F250 platinum did look nice. However, the Sierra Denali's interior was just awful, and it's amazing how stereotypically GM it is. I swear you can feel the cheapness of the plastic through the video.
Overall the feel has gotten much tighter as a whole, especially when compared to 10-12 years ago during their fallout. But even still they leave a lot to be desired especially if I'm shelling out the cost of a small home.

Overall the feel has gotten much tighter as a whole, especially when compared to 10-12 years ago during their fallout. But even still they leave a lot to be desired especially if I'm shelling out the cost of a small home.
True, though I wish that's what a small home cost around here. They're more like £150-200k :(.

Man, only now are they showing the 2020 pictures, but there's already a 2030 Silverado in the works:
unknown.png
This design somehow does remind me of another pickup truck that's small and mostly just made specifically for ASEAN countries.

new-mitsubishi-triton-l200-image-06.jpg

The fascia of the 2019 Silverado actually looks decent with the standard grill but when they put on the ones that have 'CHEVROLET' embossed on that part, I became disappointed on how it turned out to be and finally grasped how everybody felt about it.

I'm actually not surprised. Everyone I've talked to that's driven the 2.7T says its not a great engine. GM tuned it so that it would run on regular instead of premium fuel. I know if I put regular in my car, it gets like 3-4mpg less than if I run premium and we have garbage premium fuel here in Utah.

I'd be curious to see what sort of numbers it runs on 91 octane or better. My guess is that it'll be way close to its EPA claim.

The new Sierra AT4 is very nice in the flesh, I have the older version of this (2015 crew cab with the All Terrain package in Onyx black) and it has never let me down. I don't live in a city so it's the perfect dadmobile for around here, especially during the winter! I will most likely buy another one in the future.

The one I was looking at was 58K CDN, so probably around 65 after taxes. For comparison, mine came out to 57k after taxes but has less options.
gmc-life-sierra1500-AT4-Reveal-mh-lg-19PGSR00248.jpg

gmc-life-sierra1500-AT4-Reveal-2-19PGSR00250.jpg

Last edited:
That's better but the headlights need to get rid of that little piece that intrudes it from the grille.

You guys are nuts. I think the Chevy HD looks great and futuristic. I experienced the interior at Detroit and it leaves a bit to be desired, especially next to the Ram.

The best part about the Chevy is the lowered headlights. On the Chevy, the headlights are fully below the fender line while on the GMC they're fully above it. Chevy even lowered the corners of the front bumper below the top of the tire to increase safety and visibility by lowering the headlights. I applaud them for making that move to increase safety, unlike GMC which obviously does not care about the safety of oncoming cars or driver visibility. Fact: Lower headlights increase visibility for the vehicle's driver as well as reducing glare for oncoming cars.

GM says focus groups loved its Chevy HD styling
We asked Hugh Milne, Silverado marketing manager, about what Chevrolet thinks of all the criticism leveled at it, and how the HD ended up this way in the first place.

"How much of that reaction is from people who actually buy these trucks? I read all that stuff, I hear about all that. All of our research that we ever did on this, we're talking to Heavy Duty buyers of all brands. This front end and this design over the top was one of our best-ranked designs," Milne told us.

So in short, focus groups is how we got here. Most car companies use focus groups to help make design decisions. The court of public opinion doesn't seem to agree with those focus groups for the time being on the many Silverado HD grilles, though. Comments sections across all of our previous posts and the internet writ large are littered with snarky remarks toward the HD.

Chevrolet does appear cognizant of the controversy surrounding the truck. Milne posits that a lot of the negativity surrounding it won't make much of a difference anyway, questioning where the reaction is coming from. It's impossible to know if heavy duty truck buyers specifically are upset with the design, but positive reactions are hard to come by from onlookers. Still, he has a point, because truck buyers certainly appear to enjoy tough-looking designs. If any segment is going to like this face, it's going to be this one.

As we look upon the array of grilles up close and in person, they're not as offensive as the pictures make them out to be. The LT trim initially shown is still a bit egregious, but the High Country is much classier. None of them fix the double stacked headlight design on every truck, but you can do a lot to change the look depending on the trim you choose.

Regardless of which side of the argument you fall on the Silverado HD, we at least have an understanding of where it came from. Focus groups and market research don't always produce a pretty vehicle. The Aztek happened, and many other misfires followed in its footsteps. Perhaps the "top ranked" designs in research don't always translate to good designs in practice.

AutoBlog

Of course they did. I'm fairly certain it is focus groups' job to pump the tires of anything ever made.

The problem, like the Camaro redesign, is when you put it out into the real world. Then it looks silly.

Back