GODZILLA ~ Directed By Gareth Edwards ~ Release May 15, 2014

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 207 comments
Hype train. Building.

EMPIRE Magazine new special cover for subscribers... i'm hitting ebay soon...

998146_296074060547495_2112014717_n.jpg

The sound of the King.

New trailer tomorrow 10am PST

I do not like films. They do not appeal to me, unless it is about motorsport.
This goes down with JAWS as my exception.

I do not like films. They do not appeal to me, unless it is about motorsport.

This falls into the same category as people saying they're "not really into music". It worries me - if only because I feel film (and music, and a lot of other creative aspects of art) can provide some profound views on being a human. You're missing out, sir!

...not that I expect Godzilla to delve deeply into the human condition. This should be fun, and will fill an increasingly-crowded May schedule for releases I need to see.

I stumbled into this thread yesterday thinking "Another Godzilla movie? Meh." But this one does look genuinely good, provided they don't Cloverfield it.
an increasingly-crowded May schedule for releases I need to see.
The downside to having a theater room - not seeing things right after they come out, which as a movie fan kills me.

The plus side - it's $2 to rent it instead of $40 for the family to go see a movie. And the floors aren't sticky. :lol:

God damn, looks so good, the build up from teaser to trailer is amazing. And Bryan Cranston is the god of acting, I can't wait to see this, always wanted a huge Godzilla too! I loved the "they weren't testing nuclear bombs, they were trying to kill it." How awesome is that!

TB
I stumbled into this thread yesterday thinking "Another Godzilla movie? Meh." But this one does look genuinely good, provided they don't Cloverfield it.

Plot holes aside, I still like Cloverfield, or at the least, the concept behind it. Haven't watched it again in a long time though...

The downside to having a theater room - not seeing things right after they come out, which as a movie fan kills me.

The plus side - it's $2 to rent it instead of $40 for the family to go see a movie. And the floors aren't sticky. :lol:

Toronto theatres are actually pretty good on the cleanliness scale, but only $40? For two tickets to something like this here, and the inevitable snacks, it's $50 just for two people! :mad:

Toronto theatres are actually pretty good on the cleanliness scale, but only $40? For two tickets to something like this here, and the inevitable snacks, it's $50 just for two people! :mad:
For obvious reasons I haven't been to a theater in about a year but the last time the four of us went, I believe it was $9 each. Because we're cheap Mid-Westerners. Charge much more than that and we just won't bother going. :lol: Couple that with Netflix, Redbox or an incredibly inexpensive local rental store and the choice is pretty easy. The kids complained at first but after explaining that we could either see a movie in the theater once or wait and buy the BluRay for less, they came around. :D

However, again, the waiting part sucks. This one appears to be no exception, so I'll join you with the :mad: but for a different reason.

Love it. Showing absolutely no mercy to the human race & creating Godzilla as the unstoppable monster he's supposed to be. The questions I have now is how will the second half of the movie play out with Rodan (I'm assuming) & any other creatures appearing and Godzilla's fate. I could see the end flopping huge if Godzilla ends up actually indirectly saving the human race from something else or he dies by a bomb. Holding out a lot of hope for this film still after the amazing trailers.

God damn, looks so good, the build up from teaser to trailer is amazing. And Bryan Cranston is the god of acting, I can't wait to see this, always wanted a huge Godzilla too! I loved the "they weren't testing nuclear bombs, they were trying to kill it." How awesome is that!

It may be a small detail, but I reckon it's quite a significant one. The origin of Godzilla has always revolved around him being irradiated and awoken by nuclear tests - never the fact that the tests were actually a cover up to kill it.

Love it. Showing absolutely no mercy to the human race & creating Godzilla as the unstoppable monster he's supposed to be. The questions I have now is how will the second half of the movie play out with Rodan (I'm assuming) & any other creatures appearing and Godzilla's fate. I could see the end flopping huge if Godzilla ends up actually indirectly saving the human race from something else or he dies by a bomb. Holding out a lot of hope for this film still after the amazing trailers.

Godzilla was confirmed as the only Toho original in the film. From piecing everything together from old San Diego Comic Con accounts and everything released, the new creatures are codenamed "MUTO" which appear result of a project "MUTO". My reckoning is that MUTO was perhaps something to do with nuclear experiments, maybe trying to find new ways to kill Godzilla, and they went out of hand and created enormous monsters.

Another note - the voice at the 1 minute mark is that of Ken Watanabe, who plays a character known as "Daisuke Serizawa". Now Daisuke Serizawa in the original 1954 Gojira was the person who invented the oxygen destroyer, the device that killed Godzilla. But in that film Serizawa committed suicide as he activated the device, so how have we got another Daisuke Serizawa? Unless this is perhaps his son and goes by the same name?

Also EMPIRE magazine's regular cover (released today) is pretty neat as well.

godzilla_2014_empire-port-2.jpg

Apologies for triple post. But it's been busy. The toy line has been unveiled with plenty of stock going to Kmart and Toys R Us stateside.

The artbook has been revealed, think i;m getting this:
580x527xgodzilla-book-destruction.jpg.pagespeed.ic.V7sQo_8iPj.jpg

And hello trailer #3 Featuring a mix of trailer #2 and some serious money shots. Edwards has also confirmed for us kaiju fans, plenty of easter eggs.

And did I mention classic G films getting a release on Blu Ray this summer? :D

Godzilla was confirmed as the only Toho original in the film. From piecing everything together from old San Diego Comic Con accounts and everything released, the new creatures are codenamed "MUTO" which appear result of a project "MUTO". My reckoning is that MUTO was perhaps something to do with nuclear experiments, maybe trying to find new ways to kill Godzilla, and they went out of hand and created enormous monsters.
Monsters that just happened to coincidentally look like the original ones? If it isn't Rodan, it's heavily inspired by him because I don't find it accidental that both creatures just happen to be species of pterosaurs in a Godzilla movie. The other one is a mystery, but you can't fault people for assuming Gigan. Creature with a hook for a hand/leg? In a Godzilla film? Screams Gigan, but the trailer only showed the hook & nothing else, so it's a strong possibility it's not.

Besides, with as well as they're teasing Godzilla & creating hype, they shouldn't have to act as if there's zero chance of other monsters from the past films. They've created so far, a proper image of Godzilla which leads me to at least believe they would create faithful images of the others. The only question is how well they would write them into the story, but I'm already curious to see how Godzilla himself is handled towards the end.

Last edited:
Monsters that just happened to coincidentally look like the original ones? If it isn't Rodan, it's heavily inspired by him because I don't find it accidental that both creatures just happen to be species of pterosaurs in a Godzilla movie. The other one is a mystery, but you can't fault people for assuming Gigan. Creature with a hook for a hand/leg? In a Godzilla film? Screams Gigan, but the trailer only showed the hook & nothing else, so it's a strong possibility it's not.

Besides, with as well as they're teasing Godzilla & creating hype, they shouldn't have to act as if there's zero chance of other monsters from the past films. They've created so far, a proper image of Godzilla which leads me to at least believe they would create faithful images of the others. The only question is how well they would write them into the story, but I'm already curious to see how Godzilla himself is handled towards the end.

It isn't a pterosaur. It's even been shown in toy form now: http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/si...ysiwyg_imageupload/1/godzilla-winged-muto.jpg

There won't be any Toho originals in this film, but there are supposedly many easter eggs and references for kaiju fans to spot.

@R1600Turbo for one ;)

Apologies for double post but this came out blue today.. this seems less and less of a monster on the loose film and a lot more darker...

This movie is really the only one on my radar for seeing this year. Nothing else interests me.
But..but..but Guardians of the Galaxy. It has a talking raccoon with a penchant for humorously big guns and a giant plant man-thing who talks, sort of.

This movie is really the only one on my radar for seeing this year. Nothing else interests me.
But..but..but Guardians of the Galaxy. It has a talking raccoon with a penchant for humorously big guns and a giant plant man-thing who talks, sort of.

^Only 2 movies that interest me this year. But this is openeing night guarenteed. Indeed I believe some merchandise might have made it to a shop out of town... so going hunting for goodies this saturday...

Back