Going back to controller

• Thread starter JayRS200
  • 302 comments
“Redefine the world” thats a good one.
Are. You saying when I tell my friends I do Simulator Racing Online on the internet that I am telling a untrue to my friends and the world of gaming.

chief, you're still playing a videogame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_Sport
<<Gran Turismo Sport is a racing video game developed by Polyphony Digital and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment for the PlayStation 4. It was released in October 2017, and is the 13th game in the Gran Turismo series, the seventh game in the main series.>>

but aside from constantly missing the other posters' points, holding up some elitism in terms of wheel vs. controller and also thinking that you're playing a completely accurate simulation that is basically real life (news flash: it isn't), I have to commend that at least you don't use alts. That's pretty cool. Good job there, genuinely.

just a question. if you crash super hard, like say into a wall at 150 mph head on, do you delete your account and start again?

“Fanatec is the leading brand for dedicated sim racing hardware, including force feedback steering wheels, pedals, and complete cockpits for PlayStation, Xbox, and PC-based racing simulators.”

I took this off the Fanatec web site telling about the Company . Just touch the advertising on Gtplanet it will take you there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are. You saying when I tell my friends I do Simulator Racing Online on the internet that I am telling a untrue to my friends and the world of gaming.
What do your friends think that means, gaming online? Simulator racing online with a DS4 or wheel is the same participation in a video game. There is an inherent advantage for wheel users due to the extra precision so maybe not fair on DS4 drivers to have to race against the "alphabet" wheel drivers. Probably the biggest disadvantage going back to controller is turning precision.

“Fanatec is the leading brand for dedicated sim racing hardware, including force feedback steering wheels, pedals, and complete cockpits for PlayStation, Xbox, and PC-based racing simulators.”

I took this off the Fanatec web site telling about the Company . Just touch the advertising on Gtplanet it will take you there.
You're still using a gaming peripheral on a gaming console to play a game. Just like you were 7 pages ago.

You do realize that you're a gamer too don't you? You're using a using a video game console to run a video game while using a video game accessory as a control input :rolleyes:

Also from the Fanatec site:

''Our focus is geared toward the quality and the design of the products such that each Fanatec® product is made subject to multi-leveled processes of quality assurance, in order to be able to deliver gaming performance at its highest level. Innovation coupled with an extreme quality standard inevitably leads to better gaming performance and an increase in realism.''

Untitled.png

https://fanatec.com/au-en/about-us?...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet

You ever notice how Subway calls their employees "sandwich artists" despite their job being basically the same as every other fast food joint? Same thing applies here, just because you use a different title doesn't suddenly change what you are doing.

I'm not really sure where you're going with this, nobody is denying racing simulators are a thing, just that they are infact a genre of gaming.

Same thing applies here, just because you use a different title doesn't suddenly change what you are doing.

So that means that I can't expect a call from a major automaker just because I boot up Automation and call myself a "simulator car designer"? :(

(I mean, the market is desperately lacking inline-5 powered midsized crossovers, so there is a chance...)

Only if you're pretending it's not a video game and that you aren't a gamer. So yeah.

I don’t play GTS nearly as much as I used to, but lately I’ve been liking the controller more than my wheel setup. The dualsense just straight up gives me more information than my G29, which feels numb more often than not. It’s also attached to a wheel stand which doesn’t help the experience either. I want to upgrade but it doesn’t seem like a good time to do it imo.

But the controller is really good in this game anyway so I don’t really feel like I’m at a disadvantage. The steering dampening is the first thing I noticed that made it easier, I don’t know how people still argue against this existing.

I don’t play GTS nearly as much as I used to, but lately I’ve been liking the controller more than my wheel setup. The dualsense just straight up gives me more information than my G29, which feels numb more often than not. It’s also attached to a wheel stand which doesn’t help the experience either. I want to upgrade but it doesn’t seem like a good time to do it imo.

But the controller is really good in this game anyway so I don’t really feel like I’m at a disadvantage. The steering dampening is the first thing I noticed that made it easier, I don’t know how people still argue against this existing.
Wouldn't steering dampening be down to the game and not the controller?

The game attach steering dampener to the DS4, to compensate for the tiny movement compared to a wheel
Yes, you've basically repeated what I've said. The game is what determines the steering dampening, not the actual pad itself. I can imagine that some pads just have better build quality, but that still is down to the game's implementation.

If GTS is set up to make the DS4 equal to FFB wheel set up. Why can’t the software favor the DS4 controller over the wheel to give an advantage.

If GTS is set up to make the DS4 equal to FFB wheel set up. Why can’t the software favor the DS4 controller over the wheel to give an advantage.
It could, but what would be the point? And most likely the companies making peripherals would complain loudly

i can't think of any racing game that has better pad implementation than gts. it's really amazing to me how well it is done. including the sixaxis control i use to steer. although i apparently don't do it well enough.;)
For both their respective consoles, GT and Forza always trump most any other games that come out on the consoles they're produced for when it comes to pad implementation.

It could, but what would be the point? And most likely the companies making peripherals would complain loudly
Sony will make decisions on DS4 controller advantage because it is part of the PlayStation package it is marketing. Why would they sell a game if you need to go out and buy a controller to play it. With GTS they supply a DS4 controller for the gamer and if you are looking for more immersion like a sim driver you can add a FFB Wheel set up.

Don't the different manufacture's wheels have different FFB setups?
That’s a good question I think all information coming from GTS software is the same for all wheels set ups .
The difference is the quality of immersion of the software of the simulation of information from the wheel setup that makes the difference. ( I hope that made sense). Better known the more you spend the more the immersion of information given.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony will make decisions on DS4 controller advantage because it is part of the PlayStation package it is marketing. Why would they sell a game if you need to go out and buy a controller to play it. With GTS they supply a DS4 controller for the gamer and if you are looking for more immersion like a sim driver you can add a FFB Wheel set up.
They supply the pad for the gamers, and if a gamers feels like it, they can purchase a wheel to play their racing games on.

Last edited:
Well, GTS isn't coded by Sony. And PD wants all the World Tour Finalists to use the Thrust master wheel specifically adapted to this game.
Something that would never have been if the controller where superior to the wheels.
You can be fast on a controller but you can never be as precise and you will always wear the tires more.
So, in the game we all play, you too, there are advantages to choose the controller method you prefer.
But no matter if you run GTS with a wheel, a DS4 or a namco or what ever you are still playing a game
The immersion might very well be bigger with a wheel. And that's what you pay for when you buy it, the immersion.
Might I suggest you get a tactile west to your SIM rig?

Well, GTS isn't coded by Sony. And PD wants all the World Tour Finalists to use the Thrust master wheel specifically adapted to this game.
Something that would never have been if the controller where superior to the wheels.
You can be fast on a controller but you can never be as precise and you will always wear the tires more.
So, in the game we all play, you too, there are advantages to choose the controller method you prefer.
But no matter if you run GTS with a wheel, a DS4 or a namco or what ever you are still playing a game
The immersion might very well be bigger with a wheel. And that's what you pay for when you buy it, the immersion.
Might I suggest you get a tactile west to your SIM rig?
Let’s try to agree that you can use a DS4 controller or a wheel set up with GTS and they are almost equal in the ability to drive in online racing. Let’s try to agree that immersion of the controller will not make you a better driver, but will make the race feel more real.

Let’s try to agree that you can use a DS4 controller or a wheel set up with GTS and they are almost equal in the ability to drive in online racing. Let’s try to agree that immersion of the controller will not make you a better driver, but will make the race feel more real.
Absolutely. I totally agree on that. I didn't think you did since you from day one has been calling all controller user for gamers and wheel users for SIM racers. Thus uplifting wheel users and looking down on those that use controller. This is what everyone has been on about for all the time you have been here on the forum

You can be fast on a controller but you can never be as precise and you will
Absolutely. I totally agree on that. I didn't think you did since you from day one has been calling all controller user for gamers and wheel users for SIM racers. Thus uplifting wheel users and looking down on those that use controller. This is what everyone has been on about for all the time you have been here on the forum
If I say I am a Sim Driver racing online using a FFB wheel setup controller to complete with other drivers, is that what I am doing yes or no.

If I say I am a Sim Driver racing online using a FFB wheel setup controller to complete with other drivers, is that what I am doing yes or no.

It means you’re playing an online game, with other online gamers. It doesn’t matter what input device you’re using, a game is a game. I’ve been playing iRacing lately with my wheel, I’m still playing a game, no matter how much people want to call it a “sim”. 👍

When PD take out the Tagline : “The Real Driving Simulator” from there software name GT6 , GTS, and soon to be announced GT7. I will tell my friends I am a gamer racing online
I don't actually care if you call yourself a SIM Driver. But if you are, then so am I, on the DS4. We play the same game, we run the same races, we are the same no matter what input device. Agree?
Only if you agree the input devices (DS4 and FFB wheel set up) are NOT the same or equal as to controlling your driving in the same race. I say this because drivers have difficulty with one or the other so they can not be equal. I will say a DS4 user can be a sim driver as long as you do not call me a gamer when using a sim wheel set up.

Last edited:
When PD take out the Tagline : “The Real Driving Simulator” from there software name GT6 , GTS, and soon to be announced GT7. I will tell my friends I am a gamer racing online
If that's the stance you want to try to yank around, they also say nothing about being a racing simulator. So you can't even call yourself a sim racer at that point either.

Either way, all of that is just nonsense, a game can say what ever it want's on the title. It doesn't change what it is, a game.

Only if you agree the input devices (DS4 and FFB wheel set up) are NOT the same or equal as to controlling your driving in the same race. I say this because drivers have difficulty with one or the other so they can not be equal. I will say a DS4 user can be a sim driver as long as you do not call me a gamer when using a sim wheel set up.
Man I don't understand your logic,or maybe your as much fun as playing with a bag of hammers. Either way,for your own sake and the rest of us. Just give it up,the dog chasing his tail around and around has fallen down and is done. 15 minutes was up about 240 hours ago.

Is Gran Turismo Sport a video game, yes or no?

Back