Gr.2 cars

• Thread starter egor1924
  • 8 comments
Antarctica
Antarctica
Hi there!
Can you give me general idea about Gr.2 cars? Just 6 of them in Brand Central, but for some reason they come in pairs: Turbo/NA for each manufacturer. What should I stick with as beginner friendly car?

You can’t really go wrong with any of them. All are capable of easily winning the events you can take them into. They all handle great and are very fuel efficient when using FM appropriately for the race. I prefer the Lexus over the others, but the Nissan Gr.2 are fun to drive as well, just a bit slower than Lexus.

You can’t really go wrong with any of them. All are capable of easily winning the events you can take them into. They all handle great and are very fuel efficient when using FM appropriately for the race. I prefer the Lexus over the others, but the Nissan Gr.2 are fun to drive as well, just a bit slower than Lexus.
I have long been under the impression that the Nissan is slightly faster and the Lexus is slightly better on tire wear. That's just what I once read - no idea if it's true.

* Referring to the 2016 cars.

Last edited:
I have long been under the impression that the Nissan is slightly faster and the Lexus is slightly better on tire wear. That's just what I once read - no idea if it's true.

* Referring to the 2016 cars.
With my tunes and with the controller in my hands the Lexus are superior to Nissan in terms of lap times, at both Sardegna and Watkins Glen which I run all my Gr.2 regularly, the Hondas much less than Lexus or Nissan. Tire wear isn’t a factor for me as I run RH and almost never change them during pit stops. The 2008 model is definitely the better Nissan for me whereas I’ve recently found the 2016 is actually the better of the two Lexus. The Hondas seem to be slower in general and one of them (can’t remember which) handles like a heavy Gr.3 not a Gr.2 car at all. Though I have to say the ‘97 BMW McLaren F1 is better than all of those available in Brand Central. But at 11 or 12 million is definitely and investment compared to 800,000.

With my tunes and with the controller in my hands the Lexus are superior to Nissan in terms of lap times, at both Sardegna and Watkins Glen which I run all my Gr.2 regularly, the Hondas much less than Lexus or Nissan. Tire wear isn’t a factor for me as I run RH and almost never change them during pit stops. The 2008 model is definitely the better Nissan for me whereas I’ve recently found the 2016 is actually the better of the two Lexus. The Hondas seem to be slower in general and one of them (can’t remember which) handles like a heavy Gr.3 not a Gr.2 car at all. Though I have to say the ‘97 BMW McLaren F1 is better than all of those available in Brand Central. But at 11 or 12 million is definitely and investment compared to 800,000.
I certainly have an easier time rotating the GTR but the RCF seems more stable to me.

IMO the GT1 class Gr.2 cars are slightly superior to the GT500 Gr.2 cars, the F1 GTR if you have the credits for it when it shows up has very stable handling and is easy to drive, so is the CLK-LM though that one has problems with curbs which probably has to do with it being so low.

I only own the GT500 NSX so I can't comment on how good that stacks up to the rest of the Gr.2 cars but if using them to grind then all of the Gr.2 cars will pass the events with ease.

IMO:

F1 GTR - Technical tracks like Suzuka as I feel like the handling on this car is better than the CLK-LM.

CLK-LM tracks that have longer straights and wider turns such as Indy or La Sarthe in either config.

Just 6 of them in Brand Central, but for some reason they come in pairs: Turbo/NA for each manufacturer. What should I stick with as beginner friendly car?
The Gr. 2 consists on GT500 cars, so only the japanese "Big 3" have models represented, Honda, Toyota/Lexus and Nissan.
They all have the 2008 versions of the cars, which where on a regulation with lower HP and higher weight, also requiring the engine should be mass production based. So every manufacturer used NA engines, Honda used a 3.5 V6 based on NA2 NSX unit, Toyota/Lexus a 4.5 V8 based on the road version of the same model and Nissan opted by switching the 3.8 V6 twin turbo for a 4.5 V8 also, sourced from sister Infiniti company, the same engine that originated the multiple LMP2 winner and also the V8 Supercars Altima engine.
The more recent cars, from 2016, are from a more recent version of regulations, are lighter and have new engines, propose built 4-inline 2.0 liter turbocharged engines.

On paper the new cars should be insanely faster than the older ones (+ HP, less weight), but the new ones have a lot more spec parts (including a third party spec chassis) and aero, not so good weight distribution (the older cars had a lot of ballast to get to minimum weight), the NA engines have a lot more driveability, so they are pretty even. As already said, some are better on older version, some are better on the new one, but my personal feel is that the old ones are more nimble, despite being heavier, the new ones just feel "taller" with a lot more moving around with weight transfer, but the new engines feel a lot more powerful as they should.

Added to that, there are the '97 McLaren F1 GT-R (the long tail version) and the Mercedes CLK LM from the 97-98 GT1 regulations, which are in this category also, they are different beasts. They are damn fast, the McLaren more agile (but very thirsty), the Merc more planted, so low height, but down't expect the same gas mileage or low tire wear as in the GT500 cars. They would appear on LCD on rotation and are really expensive, just shy of 10 million each (I wouldn't go on specifics, because they have, as (almost) every LCD car, variable price).

I certainly have an easier time rotating the GTR but the RCF seems more stable to me.
Yeah, we all have different setups and driving styles which factor in and also what track you’re on makes a difference too. I have different setups for Sardegna and Watkins Glen because of how the car handles each track differently and how much acceleration vs. top speed I need etc. You really can’t go wrong with any of the Gr.2 in my opinion, they’re all very fun cars that easily win the races you can enter them in. I’d recommend buying them all and seeing which suits your driving style and needs best.

Back