GR.3 Saturday

• Thread starter TexasJDC
  • 21,901 comments
I like the ballast podium and custom BOP rules as a means of getting closer racing during the season without having to resort to one type races. If the ballast needs to be increased next season to make that happen even more, so be it (says the guy at the back of the pack).
And I like the tire rule for introducing more strategy, i.e. do you want to use one set or two or save some up for a later race.
The rain races can ........ well, I am not a big fan. But if I was a better driver I would probably like the additional challenge.

Slap it together I guess

20210412_181610.jpg

20210412_181552.jpg

We already have a beetle cup.
And it's some of the closes racing all week. I have no problem with the current rules. I just hear how it is a lot of work. Why make it hard. PD does a good job IMO.

Last edited:
And it's some of the closes racing all week. I have no problem with the current rules. I just hear how it is a lot of work. Why make it hard. PD does a good job IMO.

I know what your saying. We did do that for nearly 2 years. While fun it began to get stale.

The ballast and tires seems to have provided a more varied podium week to week.

Showing up for a race you always knew who the top 3 division drivers would be.

I would add that the beetle cup is also custom bop. Lol

I would add that the beetle cup is also custom bop. Lol
Not. That BOP is set within the room settings. Which is all I was talking about. No need to look anywhere else for settings. Like some forum. 'Simple' is using the controls that the games race settings already offer.

Not. That BOP is set within the room settings. Which is all I was talking about. No need to look anywhere else for settings. Like some forum. 'Simple' is using the controls that the games race settings already offer.

I am not understanding what you are trying to say. The beetle cup is custom settings.

For this series we have been down that road and it did not work. I get what you are saying, but simple isn't always better, and the racing has been closer and the podiums far more varied in both divisions than it was under PD's BoP.

What is a decent silver lap time to shoot for in this hybrid at Seaside?
I ran a practice 19 lap race against AI and only needed two engine changes, with laps anywhere from 1.27 to 1.35. But I see an Audi hot lap on YouTube of 1.19.xx on RS tires so I fear I may be way off pace.
It is early in the week, but I definitely need work here. I may just bow out to avoid ruining other peoples' races if I cannot get up to speed and cannot stop crashing into every solid pixel.

Just run it! Keep taking laps...dont bow out. You can do this! Even if you dont do well, you'll still be better than you were before the race.

Fyi...I took 15 laps last nights, so not fully up to speed. I was running mid to high 1:23s. 1:24s for my first few laps.

You barely need to lift in the Death Chicane. Just a slight ease up on the throttle will give you the nose break to get through. Some of the better drivers might be able to line up a full send/ no lift, but I'm not them. Dont be afraid to get all of that left curb when exiting...it should tighten your exit angle and keep you out of the wall.

Last edited:
I ran a practice 19 lap race against AI and only needed two engine changes, with laps anywhere from 1.27 to 1.35. But I see an Audi hot lap on YouTube of 1.19.xx on RS tires so I fear I may be way off pace.
It is early in the week, but I definitely need work here. I may just bow out to avoid ruining other peoples' races if I cannot get up to speed and cannot stop crashing into every solid pixel.

Golds will be lapping 22's and 23's, Silvers will be in the 23/24 range for the most part :cheers::cheers: May see some 21's late in stints from the golds though, wouldnt be surprised lol

Golds will be in the 1:21-1:23 range
Silvers probably 1:22 - 124 range

Let us know if you need some coaching.

First- Never bow out. That mind-set doesn't work for anybody and you end up getting worse in the long run. Never forfeit and never give up.

Second- there are plenty of ppl here to help. We will help. Don't he afraid to ask.

And C - Try to create a private room to practice in. That will be the most accurate to how the car will grip and react as online suffers from a little grip loss.

Definitely race, the car is so fast that cleaning up a few things can net big gains. When I first jumped in the car I was turning 28s and 29s in race conditions. Cleaning up the esses and the last turn got me down to 25s.

There is a small grey patch just outside the curb before you turn left into the esses, if you lift here you can turn in and go flat out as you hit the first apex. Play with amount and where to lift, tons of time to be gained if you can keep it on the floor through the esses.

Crow is right on the CoD, I can make it through flat 9/10 times until 12 or 13 laps on the tires, but the risk is huge. I make the left trun in for exit and lift to 50-75% throttle for a very short time, just long enough to see the front end bite, then back in it. I lose a couple tenths maybe, 8-10s over the race, but one crash and a limp to the pits its far more costly.

If you're going to be on later, I'd be happy to run some laps with you. I'm not an alien, but I was running 23s and 24s last night and think I can get to consistent 23s, and touch the high 22s.

Thank you for the encouragement, I will definitely make an attempt don’t get me wrong. The target times help. These group 1 cars are a handful, they are deceptively easy to handle at speed but if you are a little too fast in a corner it is game over. I just see myself causing a 6 car wreck in the CoD while being 2 laps down. Maybe I should go with a warning stripes livery to remind you all to give me 200 yards of leeway. :)

Thank you for the encouragement, I will definitely make an attempt don’t get me wrong. The target times help. These group 1 cars are a handful, they are deceptively easy to handle at speed but if you are a little too fast in a corner it is game over. I just see myself causing a 6 car wreck in the CoD while being 2 laps down. Maybe I should go with a warning stripes livery to remind you all to give me 200 yards of leeway. :)
Sooooo. Take a different strategy. If your uncomfortable with the cod - Run at a pace that you know for sure you wont end up in the pits for damage. Just by keeping clean (and yes a little slower) I guarantee you you’ll pick up a spot or two from those loose cannons above (you know EXACTLY who you are - lol) that are taking the cod with no lift. Its a long race. Its very rare that ive seen no-one die at the cod. Keep clean and you’ll pass those dead ones.

remember the tortoise and the hare.....

having said all this you do need to be comfortable at somewhat of a pace at the cod, or you will fall way behind, or someone will rear end you - neither good. People tend to practice ALOT for these wildcard races. So lots of opportunities for taking laps and equally important, watching the ‘fast’ guys (aka loose cannons referenced earlier) I guarantee you a couple nites and you’ll get a decent pace.

(look at me coaching a guy that ill end up racing wheel to wheel with because we’re about the same speed :lol:)

Last edited:
i'll run with ya for a couple laps and you will see how bad I do

I am not understanding what you are trying to say. The beetle cup is custom settings.
Did you make all the "custom" settings in the game setup of GT Sport? Or, did you use a setup on some other system and tell racers to use that?

I am NOT asking to do things any different than what we are doing now. I am just saying how it is simple to set settings within GT Sport and not some other spreadsheet. Again, I am not telling anyone to change. Just saying!!!!!

Last edited:
Sooooo. Take a different strategy. If your uncomfortable with the cod - Run at a pace that you know for sure you wont end up in the pits for damage. Just by keeping clean (and yes a little slower)

Yes solid advice. You can trust PeaCock too because he usually takes the slow pace. :D lol

Did you make all the "custom" settings in the game setup of GT Sport? Or, did you use a setup on some other system and tell racers to use that?

Both. Exactly in the same way we did bop for this series. The beetle is not at GT's bop nor stock settings. It's our own. We tested it in servers with various racers at different levels.

Back