Gran Premio de España Emirates 2018Formula 1 

adb
They should put Leclerc in that seat and Giovinazzi in the Sauber

To be honest I just think Grosjean is having a pretty bad stretch of races so far this year. I don't think replacing Grosjean is the best idea after only 5 gp, but when RBR has set the precedence of being brutal, fans seemingly will cling to that example.

Last edited:
To be honest I just think Grosjean is having a pretty bad stretch of races so far this year. I don't think replacing Grosjean is the best idea after only 5 gp, but when RBR has set the precedence of being brutal, fans seemingly will cling to that example.

Bad luck is bad luck but if you're spending a couple of hundred million to go racing you've got to consider how much of that luck the driver is making themself. Grosjean started appallingly in F1 (hence his original ban), developed some tidy form and now seems to be back having questionable offs/decisions. He's returned to being the "first-lap nutcase" of old, just on different laps :)

Meant it more as “if they do it, they should it do it this way”, but I would give Grosjean some time.

After the excitement that was Baku and watching the recording of this race, I think this pretty much sums up my feelings.

DdFJ5ZTXkAIgkhb-750x500.jpg

adb
Meant it more as “if they do it, they should it do it this way”, but I would give Grosjean some time.

Till the end of the season.
Haas are in 6th place in the WCC just off the back of KMag... imagine if Romain was involved with getting points too...

That level of mediocrity is one thing, even if Magnussen is a better driver, and even if not all of Grosjean's shortcomings this year have been his fault, but the way in which he has gone about things this season so far is another. Honestly the fact that if he plowed into Hulkenberg and broke his gearbox Hulkenberg would have a worse grid penalty than his is nothing short of ridiculous.

Does he have to take out a championship contender to get a race ban?

Bad luck is bad luck but if you're spending a couple of hundred million to go racing you've got to consider how much of that luck the driver is making themself. Grosjean started appallingly in F1 (hence his original ban), developed some tidy form and now seems to be back having questionable offs/decisions. He's returned to being the "first-lap nutcase" of old, just on different laps :)

I mean Hamilton had a questionable year in 2011, Perez it could be said had a questionable year in 2013, Verstappen only last gp ago was talked about by the fan base as needing a ban. There are other drivers one the field that had bad spats too like Hulk last season. Be it his fault or not, that doesn't change the narrative suddenly to looking for a replacement for him. He's helped develop the cars and team for the first few years in the sport, he has shown to run as good as his team mate, and probably just needs to take a breather and recollect himself going forward. Also again as I've told another user Grosjean didn't start F1 appalling, it's hard to say he did when he had several podiums in his first full year of F1 and helped Lotus gain the 3rd spot in the constructor that year.

This year he has one bad judgement move lap 1, and he's suddenly back to his first-lap nutcase of old? That's quite a leap.

While I agree he made a brain fade type error, that doesn't mean he should be banned. And he more than anyone else was quite aware had bad he misread the move he made.

Also Haas has never spent a couple hundred to go racing, they're lucky to spend even a single hundred million. Both drivers can be very high risk but high reward if they pay off and Haas seems to be fine with them.

I mean Hamilton had a questionable year in 2011, Perez it could be said had a questionable year in 2013, Verstappen only last gp ago was talked about by the fan base as needing a ban. There are other drivers one the field that had bad spats too like Hulk last season. Be it his fault or not, that doesn't change the narrative suddenly to looking for a replacement for him. He's helped develop the cars and team for the first few years in the sport, he has shown to run as good as his team mate, and probably just needs to take a breather and recollect himself going forward. Also again as I've told another user Grosjean didn't start F1 appalling, it's hard to say he did when he had several podiums in his first full year of F1 and helped Lotus gain the 3rd spot in the constructor that year.

His 2009 was pretty terrible, surely? When he returned to the sport his speed and control was much better, but however fast his clean laps were he was still banned for dangerous driving - "...an extremely serious breach of the regulations, which had the potential to cause injury to others". I see little difference between the horrific Spa crash that he caused (amongst others) and the crash he caused this weekend when he chose to accelerate back onto the track. His excuse wasn't that he thought he was still on the track wasn't accepted by the stewards and nor should it have been - particularly from a driver with so much experience.

While I agree he made a brain fade type error, that doesn't mean he should be banned.

I disagree - he was banned for such an error before and I think that precedent should be upheld. What he did was beyond stupid - it was reckless and had the real potential to kill somebody.

Also Haas has never spent a couple hundred to go racing, they're lucky to spend even a single hundred million. Both drivers can be very high risk but high reward if they pay off and Haas seems to be fine with them.

I stand corrected, $116.8 in 2016.

His 2009 was pretty terrible, surely? When he returned to the sport his speed and control was much better, but however fast his clean laps were he was still banned for dangerous driving - "...an extremely serious breach of the regulations, which had the potential to cause injury to others". I see little difference between the horrific Spa crash that he caused (amongst others) and the crash he caused this weekend when he chose to accelerate back onto the track. His excuse wasn't that he thought he was still on the track wasn't accepted by the stewards and nor should it have been - particularly from a driver with so much experience.

2009 is being counted why? He was replacing a driver in a team who got rid of said driver because of an illegal situation. They called him up while he was mid season GP2. In a car he had no real experience with. I mean he performed better than a driver that replaced a certain other driver mid season in a red car, and who was actually the tests/dev driver for said car. And wasn't too far off the guy that replaced that driver after in the same red car, who actually had a full season in F1 under his belt*.

I see a massive difference one was a very eager driver similar to a couple current drivers, and he made a mistake based on not knowing limits. His car became an uncontrollable missile and he caused a major wreck. This time he as a seasoned driver thought he would have a better chance at catching the car mid spin and get it going again with the flow of traffic. I think the difference here is that he misjudged it based on the current car not being something that cant easily be caught mid spin if at all.

I disagree - he was banned for such an error before and I think that precedent should be upheld. What he did was beyond stupid - it was reckless and had the real potential to kill somebody.

And so does any other first lap accident where mistakes are made. Even if he didn't think he had the ability to basically catch it mid spin and get straight again, and he just braked to try and stop the spin, we'd still have seen a wreck. People still would have asked for his head I bet. It seems the irritation for you is that he dared to try and save the car and misjudged it.

I stand corrected, $116.8 in 2016.

That's one report, it's been suggested they operate anywhere from what you've said to as low as 90 million USD. But you get the point obviously.

*to be fair to Fisichella he didn't have experience with the Ferrari and it's not like jumping ship from FI to them would have automatically translated.

rofl... that comparison... Lewis won 3 races in 2011 and other than three retirements, never finished outside the points
It was questionable though. He was bouncing off other drivers (mainly Massa) all season to just about the same degree as Max is now.

Even Vettel was useless in 2010, when he still came out as champion. Even Maldonado never managed to reach the level of incompetence that Vettel did when he managed to T-Bone Jenson Button while driving down a straight.

rofl... that comparison... Lewis won 3 races in 2011 and other than three retirements, never finished outside the points

Okay? Glad you can wiki an F1 season and spew of stats. Lewis had the highest number of penalties that season, for dangerous driving, and when he wasn't using Massa as a brake, he had two complete idiot accidents that at the time many saw unfitting for any driver much less a WDC.

It was questionable though. He was bouncing off other drivers (mainly Massa) all season to just about the same degree as Max is now.

Even Vettel was useless in 2010, when he still came out as champion. Even Maldonado never managed to reach the level of incompetence that Vettel did when he managed to T-Bone Jenson Button while driving down a straight.

Yeah he had a bad season, but using that as a reply to someone saying Haas need to rethink their investment in Romain is silly.

Yeah he had a bad season, but using that as a reply to someone saying Haas need to rethink their investment in Romain is silly.

Clearly you're not getting the point and want to read certain lines, which then does nothing for the entire argument I made altogether. That being that drivers have bad seasons and are allowed to have bad seasons beyond our "expert" opinions. I simply used Hamilton's 2011 example to show that it can happen to best of drivers. As a Hamilton fan I found his driving to not be what he was capable of he's said it himself since then so...

I don't think this Grosjean incident should be a call to arms for "fans" to say he deserves a ban or worse to lose his seat, and I'd be equally willing to bet Haas will say the same, since they tend to defend their drivers no matter what. Last year K-Mag was the ugly step child of Haas, while Grosjean brought in most of the points. Now that K-Mags the hero and Grosjean is not, he should get tossed aside...

Again 5th race of the season, not even half way yet, and I'm already seeing PM level type visceral toward drives. It wasn't about a month ago that I saw people questioning Leclerc move to Sauber rather than keeping Pascal. And now he's a hero and where is that talking point to be seen? I imagine if Grosjean gets on with it and comes back to form (collecting points) that people will shut up and then conveniently forget about what they said at this point as well.

My post was nothing to do with Romain, it was purely a comment about Hamilton's 2011 season.

Anyway, Grosjean has got the CORRECT penalty and nothing more.

Silly Move: Yes
Dangerous: Yes
Caused a larger accident than if he hadn't floored it: No

The smokescreen was bad, but by turning the car he made a smaller target. Without putting his foot down, he would have been side-on in the middle of the track. The fact that he only took out two drivers in some pretty minor contact was good. It could have been a lot worse.

Even if he didn't think he had the ability to basically catch it mid spin and get straight again, and he just braked to try and stop the spin, we'd still have seen a wreck.

Had he braked and allowed the anti-stall then he'd have remained substantially off the track. No problems there as far as I can see... the problem is that he then thought his car was "in the middle of the track" (his words, as demonstrated by the stewards it wasn't) so he planted the throttle and drove forward into the pack.

That's one report, it's been suggested they operate anywhere from what you've said to as low as 90 million USD. But you get the point obviously.

That $116.8m is HAAS's own filing at UK Companies House.

The smokescreen was bad, but by turning the car he made a smaller target. Without putting his foot down, he would have been side-on in the middle of the track. The fact that he only took out two drivers in some pretty minor contact was good. It could have been a lot worse.

He represented a target that was mostly off the track before he floored it. If you watch the video he's travelling parallel to the track's outside line with his front wheels on that line. Using the brake would have stopped the car. Instead he planted the throttle. The cars that hit him had their wheels against the other side of the track, that's how far he drove across.

Had he braked and allowed the anti-stall then he'd have remained substantially off the track. No problems there as far as I can see... the problem is that he then thought his car was "in the middle of the track" (his words, as demonstrated by the stewards it wasn't) so he planted the throttle and drove forward into the pack.

He claims otherwise, so because he lost it, didn't know exactly where he was and again made a mistake. I don't see the same negligence you claim to have seen from 2012. I see a misjudgment in the heat of the opening lap. Again, don't see him needing to be replaced or banned. I think it's about time to move forward from this.

That $116.8m is HAAS's own filing at UK Companies House.

Cool

I don't see the same negligence you claim to have seen from 2012. I see a misjudgment in the heat of the opening lap. Again, don't see him needing to be replaced or banned. I think it's about time to move forward from this.

Fair enough, two people disagreeing on the internet isn't going to break it after all this time :)

An hour ago, i saw on TV a short program sponsored by the french government road security agency. It's a part of several shorts, each with its own message, and consisting of someone being interviewed around the subject by a driving journalist*.
Today's message: Keep the foot light (on the pedal).
Today interviewed passenger: Romain Grosjean.

Bad timing...
upload_2018-5-14_16-43-44.png

(*: the journalist who makes this shorts series is RG's wife)

Last edited:
Hey that is strange. JUst read following with a hard to see evidence on the photo.
Remember the touché of Max and Lance Stroll? An explanation could be that on Max' wheel the light after VSC was already green but on the board on the track still yellow. Also possibly on Lance Strolls car still yellow as he slowed down and Max was already accelerating. If true is not proven but it seems that the transmitter via the airsignal reached the car of Max a very tiny bit sooner then Lance car. We're talking about millisecond(s)but still.

Fake news or true story? For me it sounds reasonable and is a good explanation for the accident. At least a story to follow. Like the extra flappy paddle on Vettel's car. Very quiet about that?

green yellow VSC.png

Hey that is strange. JUst read following with a hard to see evidence on the photo.
Remember the touché of Max and Lance Stroll? An explanation could be that on Max' wheel the light after VSC was already green but on the board on the track still yellow. Also possibly on Lance Strolls car still yellow as he slowed down and Max was already accelerating. If true is not proven but it seems that the transmitter via the airsignal reached the car of Max a very tiny bit sooner then Lance car. We're talking about millisecond(s)but still.

Fake news or true story? For me it sounds reasonable and is a good explanation for the accident. At least a story to follow. Like the extra flappy paddle on Vettel's car. Very quiet about that?

View attachment 736415
I'm not sure I see anything green on Max' steering wheel in this pic, but there is usually a green Neutral(?) button on steering wheels there

Latest Posts

Back