Gran Turismo 4 / PSP Courses found in Gran Turismo 5

• Thread starter elston87
  • 315 comments
They say high ground effects cars (like F1 and Indy) generate so much downforce, you can drive them upside down. That might have been created to actually try it. And dang I want to drive those sections so much.

It's not end of can't, it's end of cant, as in the end of the canted (banked) section of track, warning drivers that they're going to run out of road if they stay up high.

Thanks for the info. I can't be fooled by what the cant is now.

Here's a race on Hong Kong circuit, offscreen video (I don't have a game capture)

Also, I took some screenshot out of bounds for Route X, sadly we can't drive more since there are no collision and the car will be respawned on track.

Nice find! I will try to Capture a Hotlap with my elgato! :)

I am really glad but also really upset of this discovery... They should have released these as tracks during the updates and eventually brought it to an almost encyclopaedic GT game...

I miss route 11, they should have used the GT3 demo version :P

Well guys, time for some news: with a lot of patience I managed to load some extra unused courses.
Sadly those are not driveable for now, considering that basically I had to make my game think I'm using a specific collision and driving line. This of course isn't a thing the game can handle correctly, but at least we're on something.
Can't see much because of cars being stuck but at least there's more to see :)
This is r_assisi_ps2 - Unlike the non reverse version, the track is fully modeled this time. If you guys have some patience, I might do a lap of this track with a replay swap :D
photo0076.jpg
photo0077.jpg
photo0078.jpg

I'm a man of his word: not 1.. but 3 videos :D

r_capri_ps2

r_assisi_ps2 (drive forward)

r_seattle_ps2

With this new "forced" method I managed to load all the rest of unused tracks except rome_ps2 which maybe has some fixable issue with the model itself, and route_11 which is missing a model entirely: to summarize, 79 out of 81 track works.

What I did is basically tested the model only of those circuits; for now it's not possible to drive on those but I think we could do that sooner or later.
If the model could be loaded, all the rest could be fixed, pretty much like with hongkong_ps2.
So, those replays were done on forward tracks, not reverse since those are not driveable for now :)
To make those videos, I had to:
- do a replay on forward version of those tracks and save it
- make the game load a specific collision
- load that replay and swap it with the reverse track

Last edited:
While I was making some more tests, I find out that we can not only force the collision mesh but also a file that contains info about sun position, lightning, time of day etc.. what does could mean you might ask?
Judge by those amazing pics I took recently:

photo0099.jpg photo0111.jpg photo0120.jpg photo0134.jpg photo0125.jpg photo0140.jpg photo0153.jpg photo0091.jpg photo0094.jpg photo0095.jpg photo0132.jpg photo0148.jpg photo0096.jpg photo0104.jpg photo0102.jpg

You can drive on any track at sunset, early morning, midday etc... even night.
In this last case it's impossible to drive because car headlights will not be projected on the track, except for one single track: Spa Rain.

Love threads like these! Reminds me of Gran Turismo sites 20 years ago when stuff like this was the raison d'etre for visiting Gran Turismo forums online, before it became a clearing house for online players wanting help getting all the goodies from GT5 without actually completing the game. Who says we can't continue to have fun with old completed titles? Always more fun in these games if you get off into them long enough. Thanks for sharing.

Another big post with another big update, sorta; sorry for the oncoming barrage of big images for mobile device users:

Thanks to the discoveries by @j0nny0093 we're not done working on these courses yet. For some courses, if you force it to load the Reverse layout's textures, it'll display in the Forward layout of the course, and these textures have much higher detail, however they are indeed intended for the Reverse layout, as signposts and turning markers are flipped the other way around, both model and texture. There's also a strange glitch that goes on with the road surfaces; whatever the case, they're not normal; it feels like the car is driving on dirt (which is why you see some of the cars clipping through the ground or appear a bit bumpy).

Regardless:

Construction finished up on Costa di Amalfi!

LnKQSUX.jpg

ESyOF8S.jpg

Crews finished up the roads in time for the race at Opera Paris!

QYMaPVI.jpg

F44yGVu.jpg

b3VUZE0.jpg

1JCYUnR.jpg

Citta di Aria is open to the driving public once again, looking a lot better than it once was!

9MfrKG2.jpg

8Oa31O1.jpg

BFmuOIz.jpg

W7SarLh.jpg

2s4Tyej.jpg

The Ice Arena was redone to accept new challengers!

R3XgXGb.jpg

dv0lVPi.jpg

h2xUXCJ.jpg

A much more scenic and lush Apricot Hill Raceway circa 2004

HMVblb6.jpg

GqjTbHR.jpg

VHFxQPj.jpg

I wonder, could you use the methods used to load HK or Reverse Tracks on GTPSP since it uses similar code? Seems like the nonfunctional tracks there still have their 3d models.

If you ever wondered how some ps2 tracks would look in the main menu, here's your answer :D
It took me like 2-3 hours to do this, but the results are indeed interesting. Like GT PSP, the game load all the stuff from some files, including menu logos and track map. So with some patience I found that area in the game memory and edit it :)

pht##cbc252cc46b67251#0069.jpg pht##cbc252cc46b67251#0074.jpg pht##cbc252cc46b67251#0077.jpg pht##cbc252cc46b67251#0097.jpg pht##cbc252cc46b67251#0104.jpg pht##cbc252cc46b67251#0118.jpg pht##cbc252cc46b67251#0078.jpg

The night effect can be done even in GT6 , and the effect there is even better: for instance, you can see stars and moon in the sky and also some textures are not glitchy (like the grass in Eiger).

Moon sky can be forced on everytrack, you can see it on route X ( the pic with the FXX ) and autumn ring. The effect is strange because the whole track has lightning but the sky is black , exaclty like on the moon events :D

I know this is GT6 but since we were talking about night tracks, I thought it was a good thing to mention you that the same thing can be done on both GT5 and GT6.

Do you think it would be possible to force a 6 car grid on a modded GT PSP by editing/modding it, I still play it on my vita I know there is a group working on a GFX accelerated PS1/PSP games on the Vita as the VIta has a PSP chip in it, they plan to use the Vita GFX Chip to accelerate gfx in PS1/PSP it's still a while off but interesting none the less.

Is it possible to load the hidden tracks on PS3 hardware? without using cheating software or somethng like that. I want to test it if it does have :)

Thanks
Unless you modify the game files to redirect to the hidden courses, this is not possible. Modification of some sort is required, since otherwise, the courses are not referenced anywhere else in the game.

Could you imagine a GT7 that includes right from the start all the tracks and circuits from GT3-4-5-6-S and all the cars in those games also. Add to that a fun career mode that lasts for years and a full offline save for all cars and tracks and a special price available for all to get right from the start. How much would you pay for that ? Dream on...

Could you imagine a GT7 that includes right from the start all the tracks and circuits from GT3-4-5-6-S and all the cars in those games also. Add to that a fun career mode that lasts for years and a full offline save for all cars and tracks and a special price available for all to get right from the start. How much would you pay for that ? Dream on...
The Dream, I bet that build exists in head office with cars they can't get a licence to...

Well, it's only a wishful thinking but a very great idea. :D

I wouldn't go that far, at least with GT7. But during the PS3 era? If you placed a high bet that PoDi was aiming to develop the Gran Turismo game of many players' dreams at the time? You'd win that bet for sure.

The biggest supplementing evidence for this case is found in the latest prototype of GT5 that was discovered, "GT5 Demo 2010". The database files contain registered entries for every single vehicle that was featured in Gran Turismo 4 and the PSP spinoff title, even the likes of the 1915 Ford Model T and FPV were set to feature again. Not only that, but there's code sprinkled everywhere throughout the prototype that suggests the inclusion of "Standard" courses. All of the GT4/PSP courses are actually completely registered in the databases, just that the files are missing from the actual prototype itself. It would appear that the course files themselves found in GT5 were actually updated for the release-to-manufacturing build of the game; all of the GT4/PSP courses that work on the final game have had their files updated to do so, so the concept of Standard courses being a part of the final game might have been closer to a reality than one previously thought! But unfortunately, wasn't...

Another individual (who chooses not to be named) found out that why the particular courses that are listed as not-working on the Course Database over at The Cutting Room Floor is because their files have not been properly updated to work with the release-to-manufacturing build of the game and beyond. Previously shown off in the Discord server are screenshots of these non-functional courses working 100% as intended...if they are backported to GT5 Demo 2010. As all of these courses are registered into the databases of that build, it's as simple as adding the files to the courses and then enabling them for selection in Arcade Mode.

Whenever I find the time to setup my PS3 again, I'll post these screenshots that I have saved.

I wouldn't go that far, at least with GT7. But during the PS3 era? If you placed a high bet that PoDi was aiming to develop the Gran Turismo game of many players' dreams at the time? You'd win that bet for sure.

The biggest supplementing evidence for this case is found in the latest prototype of GT5 that was discovered, "GT5 Demo 2010". The database files contain registered entries for every single vehicle that was featured in Gran Turismo 4 and the PSP spinoff title, even the likes of the 1915 Ford Model T and FPV were set to feature again. Not only that, but there's code sprinkled everywhere throughout the prototype that suggests the inclusion of "Standard" courses. All of the GT4/PSP courses are actually completely registered in the databases, just that the files are missing from the actual prototype itself. It would appear that the course files themselves found in GT5 were actually updated for the release-to-manufacturing build of the game; all of the GT4/PSP courses that work on the final game have had their files updated to do so, so the concept of Standard courses being a part of the final game might have been closer to a reality than one previously thought! But unfortunately, wasn't...

Another individual (who chooses not to be named) found out that why the particular courses that are listed as not-working on the Course Database over at The Cutting Room Floor is because their files have not been properly updated to work with the release-to-manufacturing build of the game and beyond. Previously shown off in the Discord server are screenshots of these non-functional courses working 100% as intended...if they are backported to GT5 Demo 2010. As all of these courses are registered into the databases of that build, it's as simple as adding the files to the courses and then enabling them for selection in Arcade Mode.

Whenever I find the time to setup my PS3 again, I'll post these screenshots that I have saved.

The original PoDi plan for Gran Turismo 5 was indeed a game with all content from previous GT games, both cars and tracks.

This plan was already told by Kazunori Yamauchi when he announced Gran Turismo HD divided in two games:
-GT HD Classic - Only classic content, with some improvements like 16cars and also bikes. You needed to buy cars and tracks with real money (it would cost more than 600€)
-GT HD Premium - New content , new improved graphics, new game engine build entirely on ps3.
The idea was "scraped" in favor of a free demo , Gran Turismo HD Concept , and the announcement of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.

I wrote scraped in quotation marks because they never abandoned this idea; Gran Turismo 5 features infact almost all cars from GT4, and many of the previous tracks. You can notice that few tracks got some major improvement ( like high speed ring ) while others looks almost identical to their GT4 counterpart with just improved textures and few extras (like trial mountain). The rest of the "untouched" tracks would have been the standard tracks, those 2gb's of unused circuits.

By digging inside the GT5 2010 Demo, there are menu pictures for all tracks, including also GT5's unused ones. The interesting thing is that many of the tracks that would've appear in GT5 use their ps2 version on those screenshots. Here's an example:

upload_2020-1-12_18-5-50.png

This is Cote D'Azur menu screenshot: GT5 top, GT5 2010 Demo bottom. It could be possible that they used ps2 version as a placeholder, before making the shot on the ps3 version, or it was going to be a Standard Track (considering that there's montecarlo_ps2).

At the end they were probably too ambitious so they decided to cut off the idea, complete polishing some of the tracks and remove that idea... by hiding the files into the game :D

500$

Back