Gran Turismo 4 / PSP Courses found in Gran Turismo 5

• Thread starter elston87
  • 315 comments
Last update for Today. 12 working hidden tracks left. Unfortunately the other hidden tracks do not work as you can see here: https://tcrf.net/Gran_Turismo_5/Courses/Course_Database

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but any sign of the Las Vegas drag strip? It's not listed on tcrf's page.

Wait, PD was still labeling Swiss Alps as Smokey Mountain South in their track data?! I figured they would've updated that by the time they were working on GT5.

Probably because they ARE the same track, with a few minor layout adjustments: https://gran-turismo.fandom.com/wiki/Smokey_Mountain_South

Probably because they ARE the same track
I know they're the same track (I've known that for years), that wasn't my point.
My point was that I assumed they would've updated the file names at least, but here; it seems they still kept it the same as when they were developing Gran Turismo 3.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but any sign of the Las Vegas drag strip? It's not listed on tcrf's page.
It's not in the game. The only leftover remaining is the logo.

On another note, all of these courses and their associated data is in Gran Turismo 6 as well, but the game refuses to load them. There isn't a way to accomplish this...yet, but if later versions of Gran Turismo 5 refuse to load these courses, then I doubt that Gran Turismo 6 will be able to as well.

I know they're the same track (I've known that for years), that wasn't my point.
My point was that I assumed they would've updated the file names at least, but here; it seems they still kept it the same as when they were developing Gran Turismo 3.

From my simplistic modding experience, if GT's file structure is anything like rFactor/ISImotor, it probably would've been easier to keep the file names because you wouldn't have to change every string of text in the game code that mentions "smokey_mt_south". As long as it appears as Swiss Alps in the user UI, that's probably enough. After all, we aren't supposed to be looking at these game files...

Then again, they still have traces of Pikes Peak from PS1 on a PS3 game, so obviously PD isn't the type who likes to keep things organised. Remember also the Mine's Skyline Autoart saga? :lol:

It's not in the game. The only leftover remaining is the logo.

On another note, all of these courses and their associated data is in Gran Turismo 6 as well, but the game refuses to load them. There isn't a way to accomplish this...yet, but if later versions of Gran Turismo 5 refuse to load these courses, then I doubt that Gran Turismo 6 will be able to as well.

Al elston87 said, it's a leftover track like in Gran Turismo PSP , in that case however there are also picture and menu map as I posted on the tcrf page.

EDIT: Here the leftover in the PSP version.
Gtpsp-vegaspic.png
Gtpsp-vegaslogob.png
Gtpsp-vegasmapb.png

It could've been possible that the picture could've look exactly like this, since many unused tracks share the same pic (Hong Kong, Città di Aria, Infineon , Opera De Paris , Circuit De La Sarthe, El Capitan)

Also exactly, all these unused circuits are in Gran Turismo 6 but they doesn't work for now. Maybe we need to find some other way to load them, anyway it's hard to say if they could work.

Last edited:
To be honest i've been enjoying so many of these recently anyway using OpenEmu running GTPSP (i do own the original) on my MacBook Air. I runs really nicely. I've also had the same running on my Mac Mini over HDMI onto my big tv and a gamepad. It's such a great track selection in GTPSP. Just a pain about how they did the car dealerships.

From my simplistic modding experience, if GT's file structure is anything like rFactor/ISImotor, it probably would've been easier to keep the file names because you wouldn't have to change every string of text in the game code that mentions "smokey_mt_south".

Fortunately, the text IDs aren't really used anywhere - there are tables that map a text ID to a hexadecimal ID, and the latter is what is used to cross-reference the course. In GT2 and GT3 at least, these IDs were still hashes of the text ID though (by convention).

isiMotor exposes the human-readable names in order to make things more moddable, which is not a luxury found in GT.

I try tomorrow (Thursday in Germany) to upload a new video. This time all hidden tracks in one video and recorded with a real PS3 via elgato HD60S. The clips then have a much better frame rate, less graphic errors, less crashes and the ability to drive against AI's compare to RPCS3.

I have only the problem that the PS3 has a HDCP lock. To unhinge this, you need a HDMI splitter. I have bought this and it should arrive today.

Yesterday I did some other tests, especially license test swap. The first thing I noticed is that Pikes Peak hasn't enough space at the starting line: any license event that starts in the middle of the track will place you on the circuit.
upload_2019-8-2_10-44-3.png

Still, pikes peak has a weird physics, the car doesn't have any grip at all.

I did the same with Fuji Speedway 90 (fisco_ps2) and the game didn't crash/freeze... until I drove in reverse to reach the starting line, where my game freeze.
upload_2019-8-2_10-44-34.png

We don't know what's the real problem here, anyway there's something in 1Player mode (time trial, drift, race) that break the game near the starting line. This doesn't happen in 2players mode for some reason, even tho the track has the same identical model in 2players.

A new (nearly 2 1/2 hours long) video is coming! :D All hidden tracks in one video. This time the recordings come directly from a real PS3 instead as before with RPCS3. That means better frame rate, no stuttering, no audio interference, no glitchy graphics, (mostly) no random freezes and AI races! :) In the video description you will find the timestamps of each track.

At the Same time, i will unlist all my previous videos. The videos will no longer appear on my YT channel but no worry, you can still watch the videos if you open the URL links of the videos. In the spoiler area you will find all the links again

Gran Turismo 5 - c023 yosemite_ps2 (El Capitan)
Gran Turismo 5 - c047 circle60_ps2 (GT3 License track)
Gran Turismo 5 - c022 valencia_ps2 (Circuit de la Valencia)
Gran Turismo 5 - c004 akasaka_ps2 (Tokyo Route 246)
Gran Turismo 5 - c005 capri_ps2 (Costa di Amalfi)
Gran Turismo 5 - c006 grandcanyon_ps2 (Grand Canyon)
Gran Turismo 5 - c007 grandvalley_ps2 (Grand Valley Speedway)
Gran Turismo 5 - c008 highspeedring_ps2 (High Speed Ring)
Gran Turismo 5 - c010 - montecarlo_ps2 (Cote D'Azur)
Gran Turismo 5 - c011 - motegi_ps2 (Twin Ring Motegi - Road Course)
Gran Turismo 5 - c012 - newyork_ps2 (New York)
Gran Turismo 5 - c013 - nurburgring_ps2 (Nurburgring Nordschleife)
Gran Turismo 5 - c014 - nursnow_ps2 (Chamonix)
Gran Turismo 5 - c018 sarthe_ps2 (Circuit de la Sarthe)
Gran Turismo 5 - c019 seattle_ps2 (Seattle Circuit)
Gran Turismo 5 - c020 suzuka_ps2 (Suzuka Circuit)
Gran Turismo 5 - c015 oval_ps2 (Twin Ring Motegi - Super Speedway)
Gran Turismo 5 - c016 paris tarmac_ps2 (Opera Paris)
Gran Turismo 5 - c021 tsukuba_ps2 (Tsukuba Circuit)
Gran Turismo 5 - c026 apricot_ps2 (Apricot Hill Raceway)
Gran Turismo 5 - c027 autumn_ps2 (Autumn Ring)
Gran Turismo 5 - c028 deepforest_ps2 (Deep Forest Raceway)
Gran Turismo 5 - c029 fisco_ps2 (Fuji Speedway '90s)
Gran Turismo 5 - c030 icerace_ps2 (Ice Arena)
Gran Turismo 5 - c031 infineon_ps2 (Infineon Raceway - Sports Car Course)
Gran Turismo 5 - c032 laguna_ps2 (Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca)
Gran Turismo 5 - c033 new fisco_ps2 (Fuji Speedway 2005)
Gran Turismo 5 - c034 tahiti maze_ps2 (Tahiti Maze)
Gran Turismo 5 - c039 trialmt_ps2 (Trial Mountain)
Gran Turismo 5 - c041 20r60r_ps2 (Beginner Course)
Gran Turismo 5 - c035 smtsouth_ps2 (Swiss Alps)
Gran Turismo 5 - c036 smtnorth_ps2 (Smokey Mountain)
Gran Turismo 5 - c037 assisi_ps2 (Citta di Aria)
Gran Turismo 5 - c044_kashiwa_ps2 (Motorland)
Gran Turismo 5 - c045 seoul_ps2 (Seoul Central)
Gran Turismo 5 - c046 complexstring_ps2 (Complex String)
Gran Turismo 5 - c048 midfield_ps2 (Midfield Raceway)
Gran Turismo 5 - c070 yosemite dirt_ps2 (Cathedral Rocks Trail I)
Gran Turismo 5 - c072 testcourse_ps2 (Driving Park - Test Course)
Gran Turismo 5 - c076 pikespeak_ps2 (Pikes Peak)
Gran Turismo 5 - c079 grandvalley east_ps2 (Grand Valley East Section)
Gran Turismo 5 - c109 mini_ps2 (Autumn Ring Mini)
Gran Turismo 5 - c113 yosemite_dirt_mini_ps2 (Cathedral Rocks Trail III)
Gran Turismo 5 - c112 r_midfield_ps2 (Midfield Raceway)
Gran Turismo 5 - c114 r_yosemite_dirt_mini_ps2 (Cathedral Rocks Trail III)

Last but not least I want to record one last video about GT5 Hidden Tracks. If you create a replay for example of the finished Laguna Seca, you can play this replay on the hidden Laguna Seca too. So you can compare quite well the finished with the hidden tracks. I will compare tracks like Nordschleife_ps2 and Nordschleife_PS3 and load them on youtube as well.

Last edited:
I sort of feel like that even if this was found out say in 2014 the arcane way that this is loaded would have made it a nonstarter for most people anyway.

These findings are really awesome. I've found videos on how to do this for yourselves, but I don't know if the videos are allowed to be directly posted to GTPlanet, so I have a link in my Signature to a video with links to the original tutorial videos.

I never thought I'd be updating this thread again, but:

Hong Kong (GT4):

eYtdcNl.jpg

With the assistance of a fellow individual (who has chosen to remain anonymous), this course was able to load in the game! Hong Kong seems to be thriving and lively in the world of Gran Turismo 5, at least, with a few construction projects going on. There's some missing barriers, textures, light fixtures, and other things.

xn68rjB.jpg

bpgqKnf.jpg

kfgJ6hB.jpg

kqBZH3i.jpg

mLRA2sQ.jpg

Apart from the aforementioned, this course is fully functional, AI cars driving on the course, sectors, collision, what have you. Another one down, perhaps there's even more courses to be found?

Here's a race on Hong Kong circuit, offscreen video (I don't have a game capture)

Also, I took some screenshot out of bounds for Route X, sadly we can't drive more since there are no collision and the car will be respawned on track.

Attachments

• photo0023.jpg
    photo0023.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 146
  • photo0017.jpg
    photo0017.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 151
Why was this even here?
They say high ground effects cars (like F1 and Indy) generate so much downforce, you can drive them upside down. That might have been created to actually try it. And dang I want to drive those sections so much.

Back