Gran Turismo 4 / PSP Courses found in Gran Turismo 5

• Thread starter elston87
  • 315 comments
Thanks for the article, guys! This is no doubt the biggest discovery in Gran Turismo 5 ever, and for some people, the biggest discovery for Gran Turismo period.

I wonder if this method can be used to access that hidden/secret/unused Route X Infield layout? Genuinely haven’t stopped thinking about it since it was first discovered in the files way back when.
We'd all like to run on that course, but sadly, The Unicorn only left droppings. Only graphics remain; the course itself seems to have been deliberately removed from the game. The same is apparently the case for Piazza del Campo, if anyone was still wondering about the kart course that was shown all over the place before the game launched.

tenor.gif

This is huge guys...
Anyone knows how to unlock them?

OMG this is probably the greatest find in recent years....

giphy (2).gif

500_F_616297_MLMI67vi1B7QDf6l4sfyHDexGCeRNK.jpg

Chapeau bas = Hats off

EDIT:
I want my "Standard" Tracks NOW... I don't care if they are low res in GTS... I am cool if my car looks nicer than the tracks

Last edited:
...honestly, Pikes Peak is just the most interesting outlier here. They ported forward a PS2 model that was ported forward from PS1...for the PS3...with textures...and it works...somewhat. Since it's such a curiosity, here's more images of it:

Pikes Peak (GT2):

hMJ29uU.png

eYdPujS.png

qQFJbjF.png

...and then the textures disappear and the lighting gets all messed up, and things get weird

6SYWxVt.png

oHC0qXc.png

u6NrS7K.png

e42QOpA.png

...but only for a little bit; about after the midway section of the course, the lighting gradually fixes itself and the textures come back, but only the walls

dS7xoX6.png

dx7ILdJ.png

utYjOa9.png

...and finally the end, with a view from the bottom

Ol0Gyox.png

...I don't know what to say, it's so...bizarre. I had to follow an AI driver for the replay because the other three cars didn't have correct start coordinates, so they're stuck in dimensional space somewhere out there. There's a driving line, recommended gears, and apparent pathfinding...but not the best. If you're wondering why I used kei cars, anything else being driven by the AI on the course, and they'll have an agitating time navigating. They'll stay on the throttle and constantly spin out and ram into walls, so I used a slow car, which a kei car is decent enough, to get some decent screenshots, and even then it still had issues. It took about 15 minutes for that driver to reach the end of the course! But he did it nonetheless.

Hands down one of the most fascinating things ever.

Another strange thing of this circuit: looking at the rear mirror, all track will be displayed correctly. Weird and fascinating.
Since we can't prove this is really IN gt psp, for sure it was going to be on that game but probably scraped ... then returned here when porting all GT PSP tracks :D

Incredible, an almost decade old game with so many hidden secrets.

I wonder if some of these courses were intended for GT HD before they canned it.

I was wondering when this thread would get an article.

Speaking of article, I can remember seeing at article from years ago on here about a photo of a PD computer and it did have a mention of Pikes Peak. So Pikes Peak being in GT5 really doesn’t surprise me as much as it would have otherwise. Still, it’s thrilling to see it regardless.
I'm going to guess it's the shadows. Driving on any courses that crash the game during gameplay seems to be negated by driving in bumper cam. Bumper cam does not render your car's shadow while you are using it. This applies to any other cars on the course, including the ghost car in Time Trial, which casts a shadow amusingly. Disabling as many shadows emitted from vehicles seems to fix the few problematic courses, but it limits what you can do with them in terms of gameplay, but hey- once again, we'll take what we can get.
Remember those paint preview blobs from GT Auto? Well in case you didn’t know they’re playable in the game.

Why do I say this? Well they have some very unusual camera angles that feel like variations of the bumper cam and I feel they might be useful in this situation. I encourage you to give them a try and see how it goes. I have a tutorial if you need help.
I'm looking into getting a capture card for this, but I don't know if I can exactly pick one up at the current moment.
I understand, last I checked they aren’t cheap. I forgot TheAdmiester had already posted a video of Seattle. Maybe he will post some more later? (I sure hope so)
Motorland (GT4):
You know, I can recall The Vanishing Boy saying years ago that this is a perfect kart racing track and I totally agree. It’s pleasing to see it’s in there because now I can truly find out just how good it actually is for this.
Cathedral Rocks Trail III (GTPSP) - There's no texture.. beside mountain
Wow, it looks like snow. :lol:
Cathedral Rocks Trail III - Reverse (GTPSP) - Funnily, the reverse version is textured... but there are people on the road :P
Makes me wonder if extracting the pathing from the other version and putting it in this one would work? I doubt their is much cosmetic difference between the two.
George V Paris (GT4) - In this shoot it looks pretty nice, but there are a lot of missing textures during a lap.
This photo just brought back memories! I forgot how good this track looked!

Last edited:
Back