Gran Turismo 4 / PSP Courses found in Gran Turismo 5

• Thread starter elston87
  • 315 comments
This is amazing news! Gran Turismo 5 as a video game means a lot to me as I had the most memories on it, and I’ve been thinking to myself “what if?” the tracks from the previous GT games where in GT5. Now I’ve seen it!

Thank you to the people involved who found these great discoveries, thank you GTPlanet! :cheers:

If you run gt5 on a dev ps3 with second screen active to see all the background code while playing. Well you can also see all the game code. There is lots of track and car codes that are not in the game. We as developers do things like that to test physics engine on cars while the real tracks for the game are being made (which can take a long time). Why that many? I have no clue, maybe some developers wanted to have fun with the games physics on the old tracks. A few tracks is understandable like that crazy track from gt2 for license testing which was probably used to work on physics while actual tracks were being made. We did the same at bethesda with skyrim. Off the map is the entire map of morrowind. We tested game and combat physics there while the main map was being developed. You can even google that one, not much of a secret anymore haha

The events of my day.

Wake up:
giphy.gif

Go to work:
100912_grumpy_cat_640.jpg

See tweet for this story:
cyzfb.jpg

Now, I'm like:
200.gif

This test000.xml inside a folder with all license xml files. At the end of this file, the course code is testcourse_ps2, meaning that this track was used for testing some license event in GT5

upload_2019-7-17_23-23-7.png

It's kind of normal to have some unused stuff in games... having all previous GT circuits, (81 in this case)... that's a lot of stuff.

If Polyphony & Sony were smart, they would take all of these old tracks and cars (at least the ones they have current licenses for) and publish a new mobile game titled something like Gran Turismo Classic. They could easily sell millions of copies, and it would probably be more popular Real Racing 3.

The way how I see it now, there might be more content in 1.0 than this. Maybe even more. I can't say for sure, but I did find some settings things for different types of demos. Gamescom and many other strings relating to demos were present. Still finding ways to make it happen.

...honestly, Pikes Peak is just the most interesting outlier here. They ported forward a PS2 model that was ported forward from PS1...for the PS3...with textures...and it works...somewhat. Since it's such a curiosity, here's more images of it:

Pikes Peak (GT2):
I realized earlier, but I noticed you’re playing on this track in single player now, whereas previously you couldn’t drive on it due to the spawn position.

If I may ask, is their an answer within the AUP as to how your able to drive on it in single player now?

If you run gt5 on a dev ps3 with second screen active to see all the background code while playing. Well you can also see all the game code. There is lots of track and car codes that are not in the game. We as developers do things like that to test physics engine on cars while the real tracks for the game are being made (which can take a long time). Why that many? I have no clue, maybe some developers wanted to have fun with the games physics on the old tracks. A few tracks is understandable like that crazy track from gt2 for license testing which was probably used to work on physics while actual tracks were being made. We did the same at bethesda with skyrim. Off the map is the entire map of morrowind. We tested game and combat physics there while the main map was being developed. You can even google that one, not much of a secret anymore haha
Now im wondering if rockstar tested red dead 2 with the gta 5 map,that would be a crazy sight

I realized earlier, but I noticed you’re playing on this track in single player now, whereas previously you couldn’t drive on it due to the spawn position.

If I may ask, is their an answer within the AUP as to how your able to drive on it in single player now?
Sorry to destroy your dreams.. but that's a replay from AI (you can read elston87 name not highlighted). :D
Basically only P1 will spawn on track, sometime other cars too.

The way how I see it now, there might be more content in 1.0 than this. Maybe even more. I can't say for sure, but I did find some settings things for different types of demos. Gamescom and many other strings relating to demos were present. Still finding ways to make it happen.

I found those values too, including Tokyo game show demos, e3 demos, even GT5 time trial challenge related files. The more we dig, the more we found ;)

Remember those paint preview blobs from GT Auto? Well in case you didn’t know they’re playable in the game.
Already got those covered on TCRF, actually. Your post made it easier to do so. 👍

If only we could find the crazy route x layout
I posted a while back that the files for that course layout have been deliberately removed from the game, so unfortunately for us, it's no longer possible. That course is the true unicorn of the GT franchise until we have the chance to play it one day.

Anyway, keeping this train rolling:

Grand Canyon (GT4):

PCZqh2m.png

JGqnE8L.png

SLze9xy.png

qoGjro6.png

WrCvqTO.png

Definitely a leftover from the Gran Turismo HD Classic project, since it has streamed textures and geometry, and you can tell it is (apart from the low-poly spectators who are missing obvious data) from smooth and seamless course textures. They're not highly increased in resolution, but out of all of the courses I've tested, this is definitely one of the more gorgeous ones. Man I missed this course!

You talking about my tutorial I made here on GTP? :)
Indeed it was. I could have taken a much longer path to do so, but adding those "vehicles" as tickets saved a lot of time.

Anyway, final image blowout for the night, keeping with the rally theme here:

Tahiti Maze (GT4):

eXLXQJp.png

ttkD9t6.png

cUcKweG.png

InxoU7y.png

Cathedral Rocks Trail I (GT4):

YxOKlw1.png

dUvJMqk.png

1576oSu.png

WYX20B3.png

Smokey Mountain (GT3)
(Epilepsy/loud colors warning):

clFvFa6.png

D7zsQIU.png

...I don't know what the AI was doing here, honestly. Having a party? :D
9S0Hjwj.png

7vld0bP.png

nrCMjOg.png

...I can't explain what that purple stuff is, missing texture or whatnot.

...in case you are wondering why I am driving with bumper cam for the first two courses, it's because as I explained a few posts back, these courses crash when shadows are rendered in certain areas of the course. Driving in bumper cam doesn't render your shadow, so you can drive the entire course without crashing. Of course, this limits you to time trial, because even the ghost draws a shadow, and you need to disable the ghost car as soon as it pops out to avoid crashing.

That is to say that you can't use chase cam at all; you can quickly switch back to bumper cam to avoid crashing when you wanna drive in 3rd person for a bit. I'm amazed Smokey Mountain is even present here...let alone completely playable with all of that...wackiness going on.

Well, that might have kept me interested in the GT series at least a little bit longer.

With the sole exception of the green hell, not a single one of my favorite tracks made it from GT4 to GT5. Not one. Zero. Zip. Nada. Nil. Would have been fun trying this.

Heck, I still have a dedicated GT4 rig setup with my old Logitech G25 just for the express purpose of hopping in every few days and driving one of my favorite tracks again.

It's interesting that they had the GT4/GT PSP version of High Speed Ring when the newer one was already in. Perhaps they were going to use the old one originally?

Back