Gran Turismo 4: Touge 300 and 400 class (with video walkthrough!)

  • Thread starter Thread starter vtec_guy
  • 203 comments
  • 8,770 views
amp88
I know it's not eligible, but I've been running about in my Mine's Skyline on this and it feels great. Maybe in the future you could introduce a Togue Max class, just like in BM. Cars like the MCR GT-R VQuick was talking about. If you were going to introduce this class, I reckon it'd probably be better if only street tyres were allowed as in the real BM Togues, limiting entrants to N grade tyres. What do you think?

Ah, the MCR GT-R. I tried driving mine yesterday. It was crazy fast, even on sport softs. I only did one overall lap(not a stage), bumped into the wall a couple times, and got a 1'20. :crazy: I stopped after that, because I didn't know if I could handle driving it anymore. Just too fast on a tight course like that. Now I know why Manabu Orido kept saying the Togue Showdown Max Class was so dangerous.

How about limiting the high-powered 'Max Class' cars to sport tires? It would not only show who could drive well enough to handle the power, but also who has the tuning skill to stabilize the car. Even on sport tires, it would be interesting driving those high powered cars. I had a 550hp Ridox Supra, and I didn't dare drive it without TCS set to 5. Imagine trying to handle something like a TVR Speed 12. :sly:
 
VQuick
How about limiting the high-powered 'Max Class' cars to sport tires? It would not only show who could drive well enough to handle the power, but also who has the tuning skill to stabilize the car. Even on sport tires, it would be interesting driving those high powered cars. I had a 550hp Ridox Supra, and I didn't dare drive it without TCS set to 5. Imagine trying to handle something like a TVR Speed 12. :sly:

That would be great idea.

300 class - 400 class - Max Class leaderboards 👍

I would max out my NSX-R to ,well,600 to 650BHP if it possible, I've set it up pretty good after tweaking with the suspension setting :)
 
Ok, will do. I'll add a Elite Class Leaderboard in which cars have a 700bhp limit. But they still need to be road cars or tuning cars. No race cars allowed.
 
vtec_guy
Ok, will do. I'll add a Elite Class Leaderboard in which cars have a 700bhp limit. But they still need to be road cars or tuning cars. No race cars allowed.
What about the tires? Can we keep the way ther are or you'll change the rules for the class?
 
How about production cars only, no power limit, sport tires only for Max Class? It'll be interesting to see how many people think they can just get some 1,000hp car and be the fastest.

Basically, it's like saying, 'You can have as much power as you want, but you'd better be able to handle it on sport tires.'

Hate to burst your bubble Cosmic, but I think the new NSX-R maxes out at 'only' 485hp or so. I tried racing my friend's 500hp+ RX-7 Spirit R Type A, and didn't have enough power to match him. I was crushed, because my car handled so good but couldn't keep up.
 
It's too complicated to change the tire rules just for the elite class. If I did that I'd just change it to sports tires for all classes but its too complicated since so many people have already submitted with racing tires. However, there is some consellation. Because if I start a series, it will be a fresh start so I can revamp the rules. Feel free to put forward Ideas for the series. It will have the 300, 400 and elite classes.
 
VQuick
How about production cars only, no power limit, sport tires only for Max Class? It'll be interesting to see how many people think they can just get some 1,000hp car and be the fastest.

Basically, it's like saying, 'You can have as much power as you want, but you'd better be able to handle it on sport tires.'

Hate to burst your bubble Cosmic, but I think the new NSX-R maxes out at 'only' 485hp or so. I tried racing my friend's 500hp+ RX-7 Spirit R Type A, and didn't have enough power to match him. I was crushed, because my car handled so good but couldn't keep up.

Feck, it's good for the 400 class tought.
But I have another car going on for the elite class right now so it doesnt really matter :)
 
ALERT ALERT LOL! I have changed the rules so that the Elite class only permits Sports tires. THIS IS ONLY FOR THE ELITE CLASS! CHECK THE BOTTOM OF THE ELITE BOARD!
 
Cool vtec 👍 I'll begin tune my future car right now for the elite series :)
 
How about sport tires for all classes then? They try to focus more on street tuning for Togue Showdown. Some of the tuners(Spoon comes to mind) actually have to downgrade to sport type tires because they had R-compound tires on them.

They didn't want crazy weigh reductions either; they got on Spoon's case because their Civic didn't have carpet. Some of the tuners would use lighter materials, or even remove the back seat, but that was about it. A weight reduction limit might be going too far, though.

For example, my MCR GT-R was a full 1600kg, just like the real car. I can't imagine how much faster it'd be with a weight reduction. :crazy: I know I wouldn't be able to handle it.

What about a 200 Class, too? I have an AE86 too, and would love to put it to use in a class that suits it better. Using a car that can barely hit 250hp in a class with up to 300hp didn't seem all that fair, imho.
 
Cool, glad to see there's a new class. I'll be sure to give it a good timed run in my Mine's Skyline :)
 
VQuick
How about sport tires for all classes then? They try to focus more on street tuning for Togue Showdown. Some of the tuners(Spoon comes to mind) actually have to downgrade to sport type tires because they had R-compound tires on them.

They didn't want crazy weigh reductions either; they got on Spoon's case because their Civic didn't have carpet. Some of the tuners would use lighter materials, or even remove the back seat, but that was about it. A weight reduction limit might be going too far, though.

For example, my MCR GT-R was a full 1600kg, just like the real car. I can't imagine how much faster it'd be with a weight reduction. :crazy: I know I wouldn't be able to handle it.

What about a 200 Class, too? I have an AE86 too, and would love to put it to use in a class that suits it better. Using a car that can barely hit 250hp in a class with up to 300hp didn't seem all that fair, imho.

You have some very interesting suggestions. Maybe you could work with me with designing the togue Series? You seem to know a lot about it so it'd be pretty handy. What d'ya say?
 
Ok, right now I have a 665bhp Nissan Skyline GTR Nür spec with Sports soft.
First I'll train on my overall lap time and later the stage time. The car handles (actually) very good wich surprised me, little bit of understeering, but it goes fine. My overall lap time is currently 1,17,432, it doesnt really matter tought. I'll work on the settign later.

;)
 
Here's a mock up of the rules for the togue series so far:
Suggestions are very welcome.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rules:
NO RACE CARS ALLOWED
Power:

300 Class: up to 300BHP
400 Class: up to 400BHP
Elite Class: up to 700BHP
Weight: 1000kg minimum
Upgrades: any (excluding NOS)
Tires: Sports Tires only (S1, S2 and S3)
Settings: any
The gear trick: permitted


Standard OLR Rules also apply:
- 2 Wheels Must Be On Track At All Times
- No wall touching!
- No Short Cutting!
- No hybrids
- No Cheating of any kind
-
Grey run off patches count as track

Time Submission:
Time Formula: Overall lap time - T1 time = Stage Time
Ghost saving is recommended but not compulsory
PM ME THE FOLLOWING SUBMISSION FORM WHEN SUBMITTING A TIME

Submission form:
Class: (300, 400, Elite)
Driver Name:
Stage Time:
Car:
Power:
Tires: (S1, S2, S3)
 
Good, good, good vtec! 👍 :)
 
Bah, the weight minimum is kinda... lame. You should think of it relative to class perhaps?

The tire thing is a good idea though... RSS are not realistic at all
 
thtas a good idea, im always up for suggestions. Perhaps a 800kg minimum for 300 class? 900kg for 400 class and 1000kg for Elite? That should also make the Elite Class cars less vicious in the bends.
 
vtec_guy, I'd be glad to help you with setting this all up.

One thing I just noticed is your weight requirement. If all cars have to be 1000kg+, you can't use your AE86, unless there was no lightweight performed and you added a lot of ballast. A few other cars like the Toyota MR-S, Mazda Autozam AZ-1, and Honda's City Turbo II and Beat can't be used either.

Then again, I'm the only one using those last three cars.hehe Without a 'Togue 200' class, there isn't much point in using those cars anyway.

I'm going to see what I can run now.
 
I'm with Azuremen.

thtas a good idea, im always up for suggestions. Perhaps a 800kg minimum for 300 class? 900kg for 400 class and 100kg for Elite?

I accept that 👍
 
Perhaps we should change the classes to 200class, 300class and elite? Just like in the real togue races. I think that could be better because the 200 and 300 cars would be the ones that need the most tuning concentration. But then there would still be a fast class for power junkies.
 
Ok, so the current 400 Class will be replaced by a 200 class. The 300 and Elite Classes will stay as they are. Tires are restricted to Sports 1, 2 and 3s.

- The weight restrictions are as follows:
200 Class: 800kg minimum

300 Class: 900kg minimum
Elite Class: 1000kg minimum

- The power restriction for the 200 and 300 classes are pretty self explanatory. The Elite class power restriction is 700BHP.

- Each driver is allowed to enter one car into each class. They can change their car at any time.

VQuick, what else do you know about Togue Battles that we could apply to this series? I'll try and read up about it.
 
I have a car for the Elite Class now, need to find a good for the 200 and the 300 class :dunce:
 
vtec_guy
VQuick, what else do you know about Togue Battles that we could apply to this series? I'll try and read up about it.

Well, they also had a 280 class too, but I thought it was pretty pointless. I didn't even think to bother bringing it up until now. I say leave it out.

You've done a great job setting all this up. All I can think of to add are more tight courses. The Gunma cycle facility that Hot Version uses is ridiculously narrow. You probably couldn't pass someone on it. It makes Deep Forest look wide and easy to drive on.

I was thinking maybe Citti Di Aria would do a great job of replicating a real togue, in terms of layout. There's uphill and downhill sections, and very tight turns there, with hairpins at each far end. No one will have a huge advantage.

With its tight turns, the downhill will be hard for Elite class drivers with their typically bigger cars and high-rpm powerbands. A Stage 4 turbo will likely leave a driver miserable. Those with rwd-biased cars will have to take care not to be too hard on the throttle and spin out.

On the other side of the coin, the tight uphill near the end is just as hard on drivers from the 200 and possibly even 400 classes. Low end power will be key in getting you up to the finish. Get out those superchargers!

There's a decent straight separating the downhill and uphill sections, and everyone(especially Elite drivers) will probably be able to make up a bit of time there.
 
VQuick
I was thinking maybe Citti Di Aria would do a great job of replicating a real togue, in terms of layout. There's uphill and downhill sections, and very tight turns there, with hairpins at each far end. No one will have a huge advantage.

With its tight turns, the downhill will be hard for Elite class drivers with their typically bigger cars and high-rpm powerbands. A Stage 4 turbo will likely leave a driver miserable. Those with rwd-biased cars will have to take care not to be too hard on the throttle and spin out.

On the other side of the coin, the tight uphill near the end is just as hard on drivers from the 200 and possibly even 400 classes. Low end power will be key in getting you up to the finish. Get out those superchargers!

There's a decent straight separating the downhill and uphill sections, and everyone(especially Elite drivers) will probably be able to make up a bit of time there.

The starights will be easy for me but try to keep the car on the track without hit the wall will be a huge problem. Maybe all aids off can help.
 
Cosmic
The starights will be easy for me but try to keep the car on the track without hit the wall will be a huge problem.
That's the idea. :sly: Real togue drivers don't have the luxury of bouncing off some walls with no damage. If they mess up, they hit a mountain wall, or go off a cliff. We just lose a little time for our errors.

This track layout also ensures that no one takes a shortcut across the grass, because...there is no grass! 💡

Maybe all aids off can help.
Balance will be key. No driving aids will help find a setup that will yield the best time. 👍
 
VQuick
That's the idea. :sly: Real togue drivers don't have the luxury of bouncing off some walls with no damage. If they mess up, they hit a mountain wall, or go off a cliff. We just lose a little time for our errors.

This track layout also ensures that no one takes a shortcut across the grass, because...there is no grass! 💡


Balance will be key. No driving aids will help find a setup that will yield the best time. 👍
Yep. Thats why I love touge 👍

VQuick
Balance will be key. No driving aids will help find a setup that will yield the best time. 👍

That is exactly what I was thinking since aids cause a little bit of understeer.

Edit :Any updates or races to come yet? ;)
 
Costa d'Amafli is also another good course. And the Nurb has sections as well.

This whole thing is similar to what inspired the ISCC events on the forum a while ago, though that was fairly close to GT4's release. I helped set that up.

What this is gonna turn into is finding the car closest to the min weight that has lots of torque and AWD.

However, a PWR setup makes people find the heaviest cars...

Its a tricky thing, you'll have to see what cars dominate all others to get an idea of what is working and what isn't :/
 
VQuick
vtec_guy, I'd be glad to help you with setting this all up.

One thing I just noticed is your weight requirement. If all cars have to be 1000kg+, you can't use your AE86, unless there was no lightweight performed and you added a lot of ballast. A few other cars like the Toyota MR-S, Mazda Autozam AZ-1, and Honda's City Turbo II and Beat can't be used either.

Then again, I'm the only one using those last three cars.hehe Without a 'Togue 200' class, there isn't much point in using those cars anyway.

I'm going to see what I can run now.

Actually, I love the AZ-1 and MR-S :) I love light weight MR cars. However, the MR-S can produce 300 HP the last time I checked.. been a bit though. Supercharged MR-S :dopey:
 
Count me in. Oh, and take it from a Japanese, it's 'Touge' ;)
 
Back