[Gran Turismo 5 @ E3 2010] (SEE POST 1!: New Vids, Pics, Interviews!)

• Thread starter SrRd RacinG
  • 6,706 comments
I really hope they will finally show the game and give a release date... even if the game releases this year and they wait for TGS to do it it going to give the game a REALLY bad press

Ew? :odd:

Oh, I get it...because it's not Gran Turismo he's looking forward to.
Or maybe because, Mr Premium, I don't consider TDU to be all that and a bag of popcorn. Nor do I see a whole ton of people thinking likewise in comparison to games like Forza. ;)

The first TDU (though not realistic) was freaking amazind, so if they can trump it with TDU2, then it's a buy for me.

On the topic of GT5, i have a feeling that E3 this year will be quite explosive.

E3 2010 = New trailer, same old demos

TGS 2010 = Same trailer as E3, launch date announced - 3/1/2011 :yuck:

hahahaha release date, that would mean they would actually have to release the game, don't go thinking such nonsense!

They say: Know your history, or you will be condemned to repeat it.

But E3 2010 is the future, and it'll be historical. Which will eventually be history.

Unlike last year's convention which was only history. And that's all it was able to amount to.

Like someone said earlier though, if Polyphony Dont give a date at the E3 they will become a laughing stock amongst a majority of people who follow the game and other game developers.
And the press my goodness dont get me started on those people :P, they will eat away at Polyphony. I also want to mention that to me personally am Iam a huge GT fan but I am extremely skeptical whether a game can actually be worth 6 years of production and ongoing. There is only so much you can do in a game and I dont think the game will look like it took 6 or how ever many more years to make. This in turn will be the main point of bias with reviewers and you know what happends ;) reviewers give **** scores 6-7's/10 people DO look at reviews and decide if its a buy or not. Sure you can say that no one takes reviews seriously, no fans of a series dont, but most other people who dont know much about games buy on the word of mouth and review scores in general.

Also after GT PSP I have serious worries as to how long actually was spent on this game, I personally think when GT5 Prologue came out that was it there was nothing else to the game at the time, so you can really say they have just been lazy, slow and have simply exposed the game way to early (Yamauchi was talking about it back in 2003....) I think the games been in development for no more than 2.5 years.

The first TDU (though not realistic) was freaking amazind, so if they can trump it with TDU2, then it's a buy for me.
Eh, I was out of line with my TDU sniping. If people like it, that's their business, not mine. Ermm... I been sick -which is true. But I should read my post before I post it.

I agree with you though. Things are already heating up thanks to mimaximax and others. E3 is going to be quite a bomb laid on us, and it might take me a few days to recover.

Hey, all! I am updating the first post right now. Do you guys have any other suggestions for possible lists?

Last edited:
Like someone said earlier though, if Polyphony Dont give a date at the E3 they will become a laughing stock amongst a majority of people who follow the game and other game developers.
And the press my goodness dont get me started on those people :P, they will eat away at Polyphony. I also want to mention that to me personally am Iam a huge GT fan but I am extremely skeptical whether a game can actually be worth 6 years of production and ongoing. There is only so much you can do in a game and I dont think the game will look like it took 6 or how ever many more years to make. This in turn will be the main point of bias with reviewers and you know what happends ;) reviewers give **** scores 6-7's/10 people DO look at reviews and decide if its a buy or not. Sure you can say that no one takes reviews seriously, no fans of a series dont, but most other people who dont know much about games buy on the word of mouth and review scores in general.

Also after GT PSP I have serious worries as to how long actually was spent on this game, I personally think when GT5 Prologue came out that was it there was nothing else to the game at the time, so you can really say they have just been lazy, slow and have simply exposed the game way to early (Yamauchi was talking about it back in 2003....) I think the games been in development for no more than 2.5 years.
Vision Gran Turismo was shown at E3 2005, so clearly even before then they were working on it. This turned into GTHD the following year, and the plan was to continue down that path and release that as a full game, essentially GT4 in High Def. That was scrapped in favour of developing the full GT5 that we know and love (hate?!) today, building the engine from scratch almost. GT5 Prologue being the first real replacement for GTHD.

Regarding GTPSP, I don't believe that took the entire 150-strong development team to work on it, but yes, I agree it definitely will have had some impact on GT5. So, factor in all of the wrong turns they took, and GTPSP, it's fair to say that development of GT5 itself probably is "only" around the 3 year mark, but it would be naive to think that previous efforts/experiments were for nothing.

The wait will be worth it I'm sure, and yes, reviews will probably go one of two ways - either the game will receive critical acclaim, and say that the benefits of that long development are obvious, or they will nit-pick and claim that the long development was not justified. Regardless, the game will fly off the shelves, and will be just as, if not more successful than previous versions. Just look at the sales of Prologue, and that got slated for lack of features and content, despite it obviously being a demo. I hardly think that GT5 is going to go backwards from there.

I know it will do well no doubt there, but I have doubts if it will do as well as GT3 and 4 done, Prologue sales have been great but I sort of feel that the amount of Prologues sold is truly the number of fans from the series there is. (I want you guys to take this the right way not some war of the words in a forum after my post :P) The rest of the sales however have always probably been made up out of people who are on sort of the fence I guess, and do it by either word of mouth (Could go either way with the long cycle, Im sure many fans will be dissapointed, I wont I know) and reviews, Prologue wasn't praised but it wasn't hated either, the game scored 8/10's mostly and that is amazing for a non finished product and Im sure that helped some sales too. But push forward the date 3 or even 4 years (I hope not this long :S) and when the real version comes out the reviewers could drop the score sadly into the 6's if they are angry enough. Most of you however dont take reviews into account, neither do I, but I know atleast 15-20 people who would never go near a game that does not score atleast a 8/10 and that is quite a scary number considering thats just closer friends So in terms of the non hardcore market which makes up what?, 7 Million of the remaining sales that GT5 : Prologue lacks from Gt4's mark will look at these reviews and to most people a game that does not score a 8+ is not worth it.

On a side note GT: Vision at E3 in 2005 was just simply GT4 with the graphics turned up and 1080p.

On a side note GT: Vision at E3 in 2005 was just simply GT4 with the graphics turned up and 1080p.
I didn't say it was anything else - I simply mentioned it because it was part of the development cycle going from GT4 to GT5 to show that the game HAS been in development all those years in some form or other.

Of course I dont doubt it, but the issue that bugs me though is that GT PSP was said the same thing of, we were shown 2 or 3 screenshots of it back in 2004 yet in all honesty I dont think development started until mid 2008.

Of course I dont doubt it, but the issue that bugs me though is that GT PSP was said the same thing of, we were shown 2 or 3 screenshots of it back in 2004 yet in all honesty I dont think development started until mid 2008.
Right, but the difference with GTPSP is that we were shown a tech-demo, and then nothing was heard of it for years. At least with GT5 you can see the progression from Vision GT > GTHD > GT5 Prologue > GT5. The development path has not been linear that's for sure, and a few changes in direction are the reason why it has taken so long. Personally, I would have been happy with the Prologue engine with more tracks and more cars, but I'm sure that hindsight will show that it will have been worth the wait when GT5 finally lands.

TDrift has it right. It does sound like Polyphony has taken an odd wandering path through the development of GT5. While the assets and physics were being worked on in the early days of 2006, Kaz was evidently mulling over just what form GT5 could take, and thought out some pretty random speculations, like the "buy whatever content you want" idea, which was shot down pretty hard back in 2007 I believe. It was clear that his intent was to give us a high definition game as soon as possible, because HD content is a bear to produce. Remember how GT3 was a fairly puny game, and it was likewise clear that we didn't really want another GT3 with a bunch of DLC to come later. Adding to this is the fact that Forza was becoming a pretty serious sim in it's own right, and with a load of options which the community went nuts over, like a livery editor and a pretty good damage implementation. Direct comparisons were impossible to avoid, as Turn 10 basically took the entire Gran Turismo concept and game structure as their own. Kazunori was determined to make Gran Turismo a definitive racing game again.

And to make matters worse is the SONY decision to force PD to produce GT PSP first, which it was also clear Kaz did NOT want to do. He spoke briefly in a few interviews how terribly hard it was to cram something even bigger than GT4, which was more than five gigabytes, into a gig or so on a handheld platform. He mentioned that there were spans of time in which the entire team quit GT5 work to focus on Mobile.

I think the real key is how response to every little tidbit of GT5 news sets the nets buzzing and downloading. Yes, in the sound threads there are the usual 10 or so malcontents who keep insisting that GT5 is going to blow, and the same thing in the damage threads. And while I don't know anyone who judges whether to buy a game on a review score, I know those people exist. But will any of this really matter on release day?

I sincerely doubt it. ;)

Happy Easter!

It was clear we didn't want another GT3?

Honestly, I think it would have been smart both from a sales perspective and marketing compared to what has instead occurred. Sure, PD catch a bit of flak for having a game that's smaller than their last, but they just have to man up and stick to their guns about what's actually possible.

Then we'd have a game to play, and PD would have as much time to work on GT5(well, it would be GT6 then) as they liked.

We can discuss what they should've done or not; It won't change the fact that now we've to deal with what's happening now and I think in a way, the wait will have a positive impact on the value of GT5 as a whole (something which I feel was always the case with Gran Turismo).

Last edited:
Are sales ever lost due to prolonged release date??

Are sales ever lost due to disappointment in the product by consumers??

Answer two questions and it's not hard to tell why PD does not care for announcing a release date, the game is not ready. 5 years is not long, HD takes crazy time to make.

It's impossible to tell the amount of "lost" sales.

Read above answer, although a bad review can have a negative impact.

HD takes crazy time to make.

While it does take longer to develop a game in HD, the fact there have been 100's released since the beginning of this generation sort of voids that argument.

agree with alba, as usual.

@Imari: You just described GT5:P. It *was* smart to put that one out.

PD wants to put out the best game they can, even if it sells like Enthusia did.

Answer two questions and it's not hard to tell why PD does not care for announcing a release date, the game is not ready. 5 years is not long, HD takes crazy time to make.

Ive explained this here; https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3816695&postcount=133
Yes I do personally think some sales are lost but not because of the wait, but because the wait will undoubtedly do something to the review scores which will decide wheter some people buy it or not, refer to my linked post though.

5 Years is quite a long time HD or Not, Games are not developed with the same amount of people they were in the 90's, so those extra people are brought in to lower times in development in a HD era to reasonable pre-HD era development times. This however clearly emphasizes true development of this game was not started 5 years ago, I think its quite correct to assume when GT5 Prologue Spec II launched here in 2008 that is all that was done.

My goodness i cannot imagine that we still gonna see this game still being demo on this year E3. in the past i expect this game to be launch late 2008, oh well its history whats done is done. But i hope it will not reach to the point that it will still be part of the demo on upcoming TGS in Japan ouch, my goodness thats to much already, even worse than Duke nukem forever or too human development time.

I rather see them launch this game as a ps4 title instead if that happens.

Last edited:
You can't be worse than Duke Nukem Forever. Unlike 3D Realms, Polophony Digital has credibility.

You can't be worse than Duke Nukem Forever. Unlike 3D Realms, Polophony Digital has credibility.

They do, but a bit too much imo. They should really quit doing those side things though no one on the planet will care that they designed a some citroen besides us hardcore fans, no one cares that they designed some gps system. But people will care if they get a nice new game out there.

PD is great company i know that, but honestly , you have to admit this type of delay will make them lose some of there customers.

Nobody will loose interest, as soon as a date is set it will bring them all out of the woodwork. Some people have just given up punishing themselves thinking about when GT5 come out, who would not buy the best racing game known to man because they had to wait?

Some may have lost interest now only to save their sanity. I wish I could.

I don't think sales will be much different. If anything, they will be bigger.

Yes, a handful of people, a few tens of thousand, may have been turned off by the wait. But you have to know that many more have been drawn in by the hype and wow factor of an imminent game of this caliber. Prologue sold better than I thought it would, as well as Forza 2 did, with a pretty crappy online system and a basic tuning structure - that has to be unlocked! Plus a mere 70 cars and 6(+6) tracks.

Wait and see...

So they have to show something big in every aspect of the game and of course a good launch date which is not so late to bring back all those followers in the past.

Back