Gran Turismo 6 AI discussion

• Thread starter JBanton
  • 803 comments
No, it's not. It's up to PD to provide tyre and PP restrictions for a race, and an AI that is competitive within those restrictions.

Racing with crippled cars is not fun, because you have to beat them in the corners but they beat you on the straights, or vice versa. Competitive, equal machinery with bots to drive them well.

If they want us to create our own competitive races, give us an option for AI difficulty. That's why that option was added to every other game.

Check out this thread from members who have posted some good combos.
There's many ways mentioned to set up a race which can be the most frustrating aspect.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=251378&highlight=ArCADE+LOVE

I agree that the Arcade Race generator needs some serious reworking for a quick set up with any car. It can be very time consuming to get a decent race. Sometimes it becomes chase the rabbit, others a battle in mid pack.

I've had some good times in Arcade but there are some hoops to jump through otherwise it's too easy.
Use Stock vehicles. I add my weight in ballast.
Tires- I generally drop one grade from default. That doesn't bother me as there's more fun to be had on any Comfort tire on street cars.
No aids including ABS.
Pace lap. No passing the AI for that lap. They drive very slow on cold tires.
Clean passing only.
Use the AI aggression setting.

I certainly understand that one could say they don't want to have to go to that much trouble and PD should have made a better set up system. However I found it to be the best offline "racing" even it's still more of a track day mood than down and dirty paint trading racing.

There's many ways mentioned to set up a race which can be the most frustrating aspect.

I agree that the Arcade Race generator needs some serious reworking for a quick set up with any car. It can be very time consuming to get a decent race. Sometimes it becomes chase the rabbit, others a battle in mid pack.

I've had some good times in Arcade but there are some hoops to jump through otherwise it's too easy.
Use Stock vehicles. I add my weight in ballast.
Tires- I generally drop one grade from default. That doesn't bother me as there's more fun to be had on any Comfort tire on street cars.
No aids including ABS.
Pace lap. No passing the AI for that lap. They drive very slow on cold tires.
Clean passing only.
Use the AI aggression setting.

I certainly understand that one could say they don't want to have to go to that much trouble and PD should have made a better set up system. However I found it to be the best offline "racing" even it's still more of a track day mood than down and dirty paint trading racing.

This +10000, for more added challenge, choose track with rain, set to 0% water and 50% or 100% weather, set laps between 20 to 50 or better yet : infinite and see how long it takes you to get top spot without contact with 1 tire grade lower.

I often did this with SuperGT cars at La Sarthe, Suzuka, Spa or Nordschleife :D

I'm aware that the thread exists. It's existence is pretty much proof that people would use what I'm asking for. You think people would go to that much trouble otherwise?

It's PDs job to do this, not ours. It's cool that people do it, but they're going way beyond what should be necessary to enjoy a game.

Thing is, we would race more in A-Spec if there were 16 cars! The best racing events IMO are the Tuner and Dream Car championships. The cars get mixed up each time and you can drive hard with the AI. The only thing wrong is the inclusion of the Jaguar Prototype in Dream Car(i shouldnt have to exit and re-enter the race to cycle it out).

As long as you don't "cheat" the AI it isn't that bad. Very passive and defensive though, for sure, but also quite consistant and smooth in driving.

I'd hate it if the AI gets replaced by satos or grosjeans.
What about drivers like hamilton alonso vettel rosberg webber raikkonen instead?
I'm wondering:

hamilton good at overtaking and some eventual crash
Ehh? Did you really...?
alonso alien pace in the 2nd half of the race
drink?
vettel and rosberg alien qualification skills
How? Why? What?
raikkonen cold blood under pressure
Huh? Confusion?

Would be cool if AI try to simulate distinctive behaviour for each driver. They obviously don't need to use official names though.
Speachless...

You didn't understand my post, nope, not at all. :banghead:

Last edited:
As some of you said, one of the rules that makes the AI good is, precisely, not cheating on it.
The thing is that many players wants to push the game, which is good, but others just want to play dirty, and that's a different situation I think.

Here are 2 examples of the AI being quite good.

What do you guys think?

As some of you said, one of the rules that makes the AI good is, precisely, not cheating on it.
The thing is that many players wants to push the game, which is good, but others just want to play dirty, and that's a different situation I think.

What do you guys think?
Did you use a camera? Quality isn't that great for HD res.

The AI is awful on the brakes. I also think they do not adapt enough to your driving/speed.

Yeah, I'm fine with the A.I. but they need to be more aggressive on corner entries and the will to take that hard inside move like many of us do... especially outside overtakes.

Did you use a camera? Quality isn't that great for HD res.
The AI is awful on the brakes. I also think they do not adapt enough to your driving/speed.

Yes, I did, I don't have any other way to record my replays yet.
And also yes, they don't adapt to what I was doing, but both of the races had some exciting moments from time to time.
That being said, I played carefully and even slower than I used to in various sections to make it more interesting, but overall I think it was a great experience.
It's not easy to make a balanced AI, because sometimes is just too hard or either to easy. Hard doesn't mean realistic, but at least that could be a step forward.
I don't know, it takes a while to find the right timing for those things I think, but again, the AI needs work...

Yeah, I'm fine with the A.I. but they need to be more aggressive on corner entries and the will to take that hard inside move like many of us do... especially outside overtakes.

Exactly, some people point out other games as if they were better in this regard when the truth is far from it. What other games have is AI that is fast but smashes into you like you are non-existent. GT5 has a very advanced AI, they are aware of you at all times, maybe too much which is why they are slow.

COMPLETE RE-BUILD REQUIRED
GT6 needs a completely new AI model. The GT5 approach is horribly archaic and kills any perception of being involved in an actual race. GT can learn a lot from Codemasters F1 games or EAs NFS Shift games when it comes to AI competitiveness.

Totally agree.

Exactly, some people point out other games as if they were better in this regard when the truth is far from it. What other games have is AI that is fast but smashes into you like you are non-existent. GT5 has a very advanced AI, they are aware of you at all times, maybe too much which is why they are slow.

I have to agree, the AI overall is pretty good IMO.

The only way I know of adapting it more to everyones liking would be to make it mode selectable, like your B spec driver.

Lets see, you could have; cruise, push-it, aggressive, no holds barred, maybe a unpredictable mode.

Or possibly you could pick your AI from a list of competitors with different attributes and skills.

Who knows, with Forza having their Drivatar system in the next game, perhaps PD is planning on implementing something along the lines I mentioned for GT6.

1397063-implied_facepalm.jpg

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't consider that good examples. You can see within the first few corners of the Nurburgring, they're very early on the brakes and take a while to get back up to speed. This makes them very slow, slower than normal. If a car is driving at a serious pace, the driver would be attacking the corner, not trying to stay as controlled as possible.

One of the biggest problems I had with the AI in GT5 was when you would be catching them, follow them round a corner, whilst exiting the corner they just wouldn't accelerate. They would wait for you to overtake them. Why? It's not like you're lapping them, only in that circumstance I could understand them allowing you to pass.

This wouldn't make racing offline fun, at all. The only way you could make it even slightly challenging would be by using a seriously underpowered car, compared to those you're racing.

:lol:

If people would brake like that before, during or after a corner in real life, we would have to have airbags for bumpers!

In the latest interview with Kaz (cheers for bringing it up to the man Jordan!); once again he doesn't give definete answers... "we are looking into implementing it but are not sure we are in time for GT6", and "we are working on it" sounds like standard PD public relations talk, never a yes or no, always a "maybe". I bet we won't notice much difference in the AI departement for GT6 just like the dated sounds everyone has been complaining about for the last decade or so.

Hope i will be proven wrong tough, and come xmas you can say mister dog is just a damn pessimist ;)

Right now, only two games interest me and are worth spending time with: Gran Turismo 5 and Forza 4. And F4 has my interest a little more because racing is dangerous and lets you do actual race modding of your car along with a full blown Livery Editor.

However, GT5 bots are a little slow - and memo to HKS racer, the REAL problem - they tend to slam on the brakes around turns. And Forza's bots, I want to drag from their cars and run over them many, many times.

I think I'll stick with GT5's bots.

Right now, only two games interest me and are worth spending time with: Gran Turismo 5 and Forza 4. And F4 has my interest a little more because racing is dangerous and lets you do actual race modding of your car along with a full blown Livery Editor.

However, GT5 bots are a little slow - and memo to HKS racer, the REAL problem - they tend to slam on the brakes around turns. And Forza's bots, I want to drag from their cars and run over them many, many times.

I think I'll stick with GT5's bots.

Shift 2 is the best "game" out of the three but damn controls.

If the AI drivers would take corners faster, brake later, and dodge opponents, it would already be alot better than it is now.

Right now it's bad. If i want to race competitive, online is the only option. And while playing online there are those dirty drivers who bump everyone in the grass or sand...

So please PD, give us a challenging AI!

AI or humans? You decide ...... I'm driving the stock red Lotus Elise against tuned cars :sly:
I qualified 2nd on the grid

Last edited:
I suppose that at the end of the day, if the AI in GT6 is still as bad as the AI is now, PD have a great get-out clause....the GT series is 'The real driving simulator' not the 'The real racing simulator'!

I've never, ever enjoyed an off line 'race' in GT5 (GT5p & GT5 are the only games I've played in the series) and I've haven't been able to get into or stay in an online lobby for months.

I've had hours of fun in career mode in games such as F1, Shift 2 UL (loved the immersion this game gives) and V8 superstars next challenge. Sure, each of the games listed have their own unique flaws but overall the race experience was there. Sweaty palms, proper battles for position and real satisfaction when overtaking an opponent.

To date, the GT series is low on my list of favourite racing games, ill be waiting to see what GT6 brings, if the career mode and AI are basically the same as they are in GT5 then I'll be quietly voting with my money and not buying it.

Especially with pCars looking like the must have do-it-all (all 'premium' cars, GT, f1, classic F1, tuning etc.) racing sim for racing fans (in my opinion)!

I understand that people want different things from their ideal version of GT6 and future editions, but for me I don't need or want 1000 cars, invented tracks or every hue of paint or style of suit/helmet. I want real gritty racing with real world race tracks with AI that want to not only race me but win....

Anyway, to sum up, it's pretty obvious that the majority here are in agreement that the AI in GT5 is a joke, and we all hope for an improvement in GT6, but all any of us can do is wait and see, the question is will you still buy it and play it if there is not?

On a more positive note, not long until GT Academy 2013 is here, will defo be having a crack at that bad boy!

Much love!

Last edited:
I suppose that at the end of the day, if the AI in GT6 is still as bad as the AI is now, PD have a great get-out clause....the GT series is 'The real driving simulator' not the 'The real racing simulator'!

I've never, ever enjoyed an off line 'race' in GT5 (GT5p & GT5 are the only games I've played in the series) and I've haven't been able to get into or stay in an online lobby for months.

I've had hours of fun in career mode in games such as F1, Shift 2 UL (loved the immersion this game gives) and V8 superstars next challenge. Sure, each of the games listed have their own unique flaws but overall the race experience was there. Sweaty palms, proper battles for position and real satisfaction when overtaking an opponent.

To date, the GT series is low on my list of favourite racing games, ill be waiting to see what GT6 brings, if the career mode and AI are basically the same as they are in GT5 then I'll be quietly voting with my money and not buying it.

Especially with pCars looking like the must have do-it-all (all 'premium' cars, GT, f1, classic F1, tuning etc.) racing sim for racing fans (in my opinion)!

I understand that people want different things from their ideal version of GT6 and future editions, but for me I don't need or want 1000 cars, invented tracks or every hue of paint or style of suit/helmet. I want real gritty racing with real world race tracks with AI that want to not only race me but win....

Anyway, to sum up, it's pretty obvious that the majority here are in agreement that the AI in GT5 is a joke, and we all hope for an improvement in GT6, but all any of us can do is wait and see, the question is will you still buy it and play it if there is not?

On a more positive note, not long until GT Academy 2013 is here, will defo be having a crack at that bad boy!

Much love!

If you would like a real AI challenge, do yourself a favor, go get GT4, and
race for maximum A spec points.

The one thing I can promise you, is you won't be complaining about how easy it is, very often.

It will play on the PS3, but it plays smoother on the PS2 with a wired controller IMO.

Its by far the toughest challenge in any racing game I've ever played.

If so I have a big middle finger get-out clause. I'm a sim racing user not a bad piggies user.
If you would like a real AI challenge, do yourself a favor, go get
GT4, and race for maximum A spec points.
GTR2 and race them on 120%.
Or, a copy of Grand Prix 4.

Last edited:
If you would like a real AI challenge, do yourself a favor, go get GT4, and
race for maximum A spec points.

The one thing I can promise you, is you won't be complaining about how easy it is, very often.

It will play on the PS3, but it plays smoother on the PS2 with a wired controller IMO.

Its by far the toughest challenge in any racing game I've ever played.

Unless you've got an early model with backwards compatibility, no, it won't. Anyone who has bought a PS3 recently who tries this will be severely disappointed.

Unless you've got an early model with backwards compatibility, no, it won't. Anyone who has bought a PS3 recently who tries this will be severely disappointed.

Mine is an older fatboy.

So they eliminated the backwards compatability, on the newer slims?

Back