Gran Turismo 6 - The Worst Driving Game I Have Ever Played - My Ranty Review of GT6 (V1.0)

• Thread starter Doomotron
  • 123 comments

Do You Hate Gran Turismo 6?

• Yes

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 100 92.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
United Kingdom
England
Doomotron
Welcome to my mostly ranty reeview of GT6, the latest of the GT games. NOTE: I am playing this game on V1.0 as I cannot be bothered to spend four hours of my life updating a game I do not like. Also, I often get Download errors when updating, so I almost cannot update it...

The Good Bits:
- Nice sound effects in menus
- Lots of cars and tracks
- GT5's DLC is now in-game

The Ugly Bits:
- It's GT5 with plastic surgery gone wrong. It's the same game, made worse.

The Bad Bits:
I'll go over this in detail.
Part 1: Gameplay
The game in itself is awful. You may say that the gam gets better over the updates, but read the top of this thread. The star system is worse than GT5's level system, and that was bad. If GT5's level system was planets, The Moon would be it. GT6's star system is the Sun. It's that bad. PP is awful, too. Also, the flow of gameplay is horrible. The licenses are part of the events, and in old GT games, you could have the S License before you bought a car, and when you did buy one, you could enter the Formula GT Championship in a Toyota Yaris. Those were the days.

Part 2: Unlocking Stuff
It's worse then GT5's system. Instead of unlocking tracks, you have to unlock game modes!

Part 3: Money
It is hard to get in this game. It took me four hours to get an Altezza Touring Car!

Part 4: Course Maker
Whatever you call it, it's still a rubbish track creator for rich kids who have every known gadget in the known universe. Why do I need a tablet to create a track? Also, I'll never use the track creator because of reasons shown at the top of this post. I have a tablet and it said to me "This application is not compatible with your device". It means that I need to find the 'update' button in French, or buy a new tablet.

Part 5: Arcade Mode
20 cars available in Arcade Mode. Why?

As you can see, I hate this game. But do you? (please vote on the poll)
Also, please tell me why you hate it/like it in the reply section.

Last edited:
I still enjoy the game and have played it almost everyday since its release but with me not wanting to be repetitive about how I feel about the game, perhaps your opinion would be better suited to this thread:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/the-gt6-epic-whining-and-crying-thread.282208/

As a bit of advice though, update your game and get the rest of the features. There's some huge payouts on some of them and you won't have to grind for four hours to get a 75k car ever again.:lol:

Welcome to my mostly ranty reeview of GT6, the latest of the GT games. NOTE: I am playing this game on V1.0 as I cannot be bothered to spend four hours of my life updating a game I do not like.

The Good Bits:

The Ugly Bits:

The Bad Bits:
The game in itself is awful. You may say that the gam gets better over the updates, but read the top of this thread. The star system is worse than GT5's level system, and that was bad. If GT5's level system was planets, The Moon would be it. GT6's star system is the Sun. It's that bad. PP is awful, too. Also, the flow of gameplay is horrible. The licenses are part of the events, and in old GT games, you could have the S License before you bought a car, and when you did buy one, you could enter the Formula GT Championship in a Toyota Yaris. Those were the days.

It's worse then GT5's system. Instead of unlocking tracks, you have to unlock game modes!

It is hard to get in this game. It took me four hours to get an Altezza Touring Car!

Whatever you call it, it's still a rubbish track creator for rich kids who have every known gadget in the known universe. Why do I need a tablet to create a track? Also, I'll never use the track creator because of reasons shown at the top of this post. I have a tablet and it said to me "This application is not compatible with your device". It means that I need to find the 'update' button in French, or buy a new tablet.

Also, please tell me why you hate it/like it in thereply section.
You can download the APK from the forums and it usually runs fine on non-tablet devices.

Also,
I am playing this game on V1.0 as I cannot be bothered to spend four hours of my life updating a game I do not like.
You should've updated it first and THEN did a review.

I am playing this game on V1.0 as I cannot be bothered to spend four hours of my life updating a game I do not like.

Updating the game would give you a better experience.

Maybe then, you should've done a review.

Yeah, the really awful economy in the game was fixed after one of the updates. Plus, Seasonals make it very easy to make a good sum of money on this game. With just a 110% login bonus, I got just over 3 million credits from the current drifting seasonal.

Welcome to my mostly ranty reeview of GT6, the latest of the GT games. NOTE: I am playing this game on V1.0 as I cannot be bothered to spend four hours of my life updating a game I do not like.

The Good Bits:

The Ugly Bits:

The Bad Bits:

I think you need a little time in the whining and crying thread.

I don't know how you see the star system as bad? PD clearly wanted to try a different approach from their original formula to see if people would like it. I know many people definitely wouldn't mind it since technicslly theres nothing bad about it unless you want to race you Yaris against some FGT's.

"Unlocking Stuff" In GT4 you did your license tests and you eventually unlocked tracks and new races series. In GT6 you do some of the events then the license tests and you unlock the challenges and more races. Very different.

Money... Even on V1.0 money would be harder to get yes but 4 hours for an Altezza touring car? What were you grinding, novice events? Maybe if you played the game a little more you may realise IA and S races would make that "grind" a whole lot easier.

Course maker, tablet compatability only yeah I don't agree with it but there may be a reason behind it.

Arcade mode. I got to admit I wish it was like GT4's I really liked arcade mode because I could use it heaps back then but now it's not so and sometimes when I use my own car (stock) it gets put up against a car not event I can catch despite the AI being slow.

Call me a fanboy but I'm just sharing my opinion. People need to focus more on the goods not the bads.

I think you need a little time in the whining and crying thread.

I don't know how you see the star system as bad? PD clearly wanted to try a different approach from their original formula to see if people would like it. I know many people definitely wouldn't mind it since technicslly theres nothing bad about it unless you want to race you Yaris against some FGT's.
I stopped getting stars for good performance when I was 7. As an adult, when you tell someone they are "getting a gold star", you are actually mocking them.

I agree with the others, it's unfair comparing GT6 V1.0 with the updated version of GT5.

I don't understand what you mean by having to unlock game modes? And while GT6 certainly has it's flaws, there are much worse games out there. It managed to keep me occupied for an entire year after release, which very few games have done.

The Good Bits:

The Ugly Bits:

The Bad Bits:

eurcrhksqfgf84q2awrh.png

images

Last edited:
The star system is worse than GT5's level system, and that was bad.

The star system isn't great, but there's no way it's as bad as GT5 was before seasonals. You got to level 23 or 24 (I forget which), and after that you just had to grind. That was it, there was no other way around it. Online gave hardly any XP, seasonals didn't exist, and so you just had to repeat Like The Wind over and over and over.

It was awful, and the star system isn't anywhere near as bad. At least with the star system you don't have to grind. You do a race once, and you're done unless you actually enjoyed it enough to go back of your own volition.

The game in itself is awful. You may say that the gam gets better over the updates, but read the top of this thread. The star system is worse than GT5's level system, and that was bad. If GT5's level system was planets, The Moon would be it. GT6's star system is the Sun. It's that bad.

Why do you think it's bad?

PP is awful, too.

Because?

Also, the flow of gameplay is horrible.

Because?

The licenses are part of the events, and in old GT games, you could have the S License before you bought a car, and when you did buy one, you could enter the Formula GT Championship in a Toyota Yaris. Those were the days.

Why was that a better approach?

What game modes? And why is it bad to have to unlock them?

Initially it takes time to get credits. But the 75 k needed to buy the Altezza can be obtained with just a single race later on. And then there are seasonals...

Whatever you call it, it's still a rubbish track creator for rich kids who have every known gadget in the known universe.

If only there was a way for poor kids to download and use tracks created by those rich kids! But I know it's just a dream...

(Oh wait, it's not!)

Also, I'll never use the track creator because of reasons shown at the top of this post.

That reason being you can't be bothered to update the game.

Plus the cars in your own garage.

You can download the APK from the forums and it usually runs fine on non-tablet devices.

Also,

You should've updated it first and THEN did a review.
A little story. I hated this game before I could update it as my PlayStation 3 could not connect to the internet.

I agree with the others, it's unfair comparing GT6 V1.0 with the updated version of GT5.

I don't understand what you mean by having to unlock game modes? And while GT6 certainly has it's flaws, there are much worse games out there. It managed to keep me occupied for an entire year after release, which very few games have done.
Photo mode. Moon Missions. Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Why do you think it's bad?

Because?

Because?

Why was that a better approach?

What game modes? And why is it bad to have to unlock them?

Initially it takes time to get credits. But the 75 k needed to buy the Altezza can be obtained with just a single race later on. And then there are seasonals...

If only there was a way for poor kids to download and use tracks created by those rich kids! But I know it's just a dream...

(Oh wait, it's not!)

That reason being you can't be bothered to update the game.

Plus the cars in your own garage.
Why do I think it's bad? Because it ruins the flow of gameplay. In old GTs, you only needed to care about three things: your car, money and your lcense. Now we need to worry about getting stars and having a car with the correct PP.

I beleive it was a worse approach as it, again, ruins the flow of gameplay, and sometimes can stop you in your tracks. It might have been a better approach to impress Forza, Assetto Corsa and Project Cars fans to 'The Real Driving Simulator' with their level system.

You have to unlock Photo Mode to take pictures of your cars ported from the PS2, you have to unlock the Goodwood Festival, and you have to unlock the Moon Missions to complete the game.

Which race can I get the Altezza from? The Altezza race? IU sit still in GT?

The Course Maker has Maker in there. That should mean that I can create tracks witha touch-screen thing. But no nI cannot!

'The reason being that you cannot be bothered to update the game' Exactly.

Right now I have three cars in my garage - A Focus, a Mini Marcos (to escape Ascari) and the Altezza touring car. I sold the Fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
A little story. I hated this game before I could update it as my PlayStation 3 could not connect to the internet.

PS3 doesn't connect to internet by itself, you need to set up the connection - either wifi, or plug in a cable.
Do you perhaps have an older brother or sister or a cool uncle that could show you how?

@Doomotron

The vast majority (if not all) of features (for V1.00) are unlocked after you've done the first 2 licenses. About an hour's worth of driving for every race and license in both categories.

You don't need to do every race as the license tests unlock after you've obtained a certain amount of stars. Do them all and you'd have 7 cars to play with. 6 if you don't count the go cart but you need it for a race anyway. The first level of Goodwood opens up which will give you another car on completion as well.

Seriously, get it updated. If you can grind for 4 hours for a car, the updates will be painless by comparison. You don't have to sit there watching them.

This is the list of updates available with all the new features:

http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/gt6news/#35057

The log in bonus together with the big earners will set you up with cars for every eventuality.

The star system isn't great, but there's no way it's as bad as GT5 was before seasonals. You got to level 23 or 24 (I forget which), and after that you just had to grind. That was it, there was no other way around it. Online gave hardly any XP, seasonals didn't exist, and so you just had to repeat Like The Wind over and over and over.

It was awful, and the star system isn't anywhere near as bad. At least with the star system you don't have to grind. You do a race once, and you're done unless you actually enjoyed it enough to go back of your own volition.
I know which. Its the Formula GT Championship. The event is entered at level 23 but the car itself is buyable at level 24. At said level 23, you cant do new events besides the Seasonal. Freaking ridiculous!

Disagreed with the OP, though.

The graphics are actually an improvement over GT5. I think it's pretty good for a PS3 game.

The licenses are part of the events.
Not exactly a bad thing. Maybe they don't want us to complete the S events too early. Doesn't it seem kinda stupid to drive a low end car in an LMP race?

Instead of unlocking tracks, you have to unlock game modes!

Well you can't have everything from the start.

*cough* seasonal events *cough*

Instead about making a stereotype about rich people having all devices, try downloading the apk file that works on nearly any phone: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/course-maker-apk.335149/

Why not?

Last edited:
Why do I think it's bad? Because it ruins the flow of gameplay. In old GTs, you only needed to care about three things: your car, money and your lcense. Now we need to worry about getting stars and having a car with the correct PP.

I respectfully disagree. The PP system is a great way to make sure you're not just X2010-ing your way through the career mode. And I don't see how the star system ruins the flow of gameplay, the point is to start from the bottom and work your way towards the top, upgrading your cars step by step as you progress. That has always been the core of Gran Turismo.

You have to unlock Photo Mode to take pictures of your cars ported from the PS2, you have to unlock the Goodwood Festival, and you have to unlock the Moon Missions to complete the game.

You can't port cars from the PS2. In GT5 you could import your cars from GTPSP, but I don't think that function was kept with GT6. Photo Mode is available from the start. Photo Travel on the other hand requires a national b licence, which basically means that you've got to win five races and bronze your way through the tests. Most people would want to get past the novice stage, but if you refuse to do that I can see how that would be an issue.

While you complete the game, you'll unlock the Moon missions and the Goodwood festival. It's not something extra you need to unlock after you've completed the rest of the game.

Which race can I get the Altezza from? The Altezza race? IU sit still in GT?

No, you didn't read my post properly. I said that the credits needed to buy one (75 k) can be obtained from just a single event later on in the career. With the login bonus there are plenty of races already at the International B level that pays more than 75 k for a win.

The Course Maker has Maker in there. That should mean that I can create tracks witha touch-screen thing. But no nI cannot!

That must be a misunderstanding. The word "maker" has nothing to do with tablets. But yes, as fate would have it you can create tracks with a touch-screen thing. If you're not a rich kid I suggest you go for an Android tablet, you can find some really cheap ones.

Certainly don't hate the game, it frustrates the hell out of me with unstable frame rates, tearing and other graphical issues as well as missing a bonnet cam. But i have certainly enjoyed the track creator and time trials :)

I respectfully disagree. The PP system is a great way to make sure you're not just X2010-ing your way through the career mode. And I don't see how the star system ruins the flow of gameplay, the point is to start from the bottom and work your way towards the top, upgrading your cars step by step as you progress. That has always been the core of Gran Turismo.
How does having less options in terms of car choice for events make it a better game? Why is it better to make sure I don't X2010 my way through career mode so long as you aren't forced to do it if you don't want to.

Online gave hardly any XP, seasonals didn't exist, and so you just had to repeat Like The Wind over and over and over.

Huh?
Before the end of online support, GT5 had new seasonals every 4 weeks (or monthly)

Also XP points were faster gained with the seasonal events then the normal a-spec or b-spec career mode.

The seasonals in the main menu:
shot0009.png

The seasonal submenu, All the dots are seasonals.
And golding all races in a seasonal events also resulted in a gift car.
shot0011.png

The Good Bits:

The Ugly Bits:

The Bad Bits:

Still on V1.0? so never online, and never any login bonus like the 5x login =200% winnings.
I'm one of the first users with a pre-order version.
The first thing to do on release day, update to version 1.01 ( or 1.02?)

Is there a difference between GT6 and GT5? Yes.
I bought the pre-order, so max price, what did you pay? My guess, a third of the new pre-order price (around 19,99)
When you updated from the start, it was acceptable updating the game each time.
Start updating from scratch? yup, gigabytes of data.

But!!!(as far as i remember after i installed the digital version) after downloading a update, it installs and starts the next update that you can cancel.
So you don't need to update all at once.

So do i hate the game? Not really, but i also do not Love it, I like it.
But compaired to all option that GT5 had? I loved GT5, yes.

Last edited:
Huh?
Before the end of online support, GT5 had new seasonals every 4 weeks (or monthly)

Also XP points were faster gained with the seasonal events then the normal a-spec or b-spec career mode.

The seasonals in the main menu:
View attachment 495093

The seasonal submenu, All the dots are seasonals.
And golding all races in a seasonal events also resulted in a gift car.
View attachment 495094

Thank you for your patronising tone. I'm well aware of what seasonals were and how they worked in GT5.

However, you appear to be unaware that seasonals were not in GT5 day 1, and were added in patch 1.05, a month after release.

http://gran-turismo.wikia.com/wiki/GT5_Update_v1.05

Which is why I was specific in my post that I was talking about GT5's XP system before the seasonals were added.

The star system isn't great, but there's no way it's as bad as GT5 was before seasonals.

The XP system after seasonals was arguably still broken for a long time, because there wasn't enough of them to really make a difference. It wasn't until they had a decent library of seasonals that it really became a viable alternate progression path.

You're posting screenshots from at least two years after release, whereas I'm talking about the first month.

Thank you for your patronising tone. I'm well aware of what seasonals were and how they worked in GT5.

However, you appear to be unaware that seasonals were not in GT5 day 1, and were added in patch 1.05, a month after release.

http://gran-turismo.wikia.com/wiki/GT5_Update_v1.05

Which is why I was specific in my post that I was talking about GT5's XP system before the seasonals were added.

The XP system after seasonals was arguably still broken for a long time, because there wasn't enough of them to really make a difference. It wasn't until they had a decent library of seasonals that it really became a viable alternate progression path.

You're posting screenshots from at least two years after release, whereas I'm talking about the first month.
Excuse me if it read patronising. Why do you make it one?
I was in the understanding that you did not know that there were seasonals so tried to show you with screenshots. You could be one of those gamers that started GT5 after end of online support.

You did not mention "day one" and the OP did not start GT6 from day one so don't make up text that wasn't written here.
So thanks for your patronising tone.

It was not my intention, but clearly read like it was patronising.

You did not mention "day one" and the OP did not start GT6 from day one so don't make up text that wasn't written here.
So thanks for your patronising tone.

I clearly did, and then I quoted myself again in the second post to make sure that you saw it. I'm patronising because obviously you have not bothered to read anything that I've written.

If I write the words "there's no way it's as bad as GT5 was before seasonals", then that means that I know that there are seasonals. Otherwise, I wouldn't have used the words "before seasonals", because I wouldn't have known that there was any such thing to be before.

It means that because I have used the word "before", I'm referring to a period of time prior to the seasonals existing. Which means from Day 1 to when 1.05 was released, about a month after launch. It's not my fault if you can't put two and two together to establish that from a simple sentence.

The OP is playing with an version of GT6 without any updates, so for all intents and purposes his gaming experience with GT6 is exactly the same as if he was playing on day 1. He clearly specified that he's playing with V1.0, but I expect that you didn't read that either.

If you have any more things that you haven't bothered to read but you'd like to debate anyway, wheel them out.

I clearly did, and then I quoted myself again in the second post to make sure that you saw it. I'm patronising because obviously you have not bothered to read anything that I've written.

If I write the words "there's no way it's as bad as GT5 was before seasonals", then that means that I know that there are seasonals. Otherwise, I wouldn't have used the words "before seasonals", because I wouldn't have known that there was any such thing to be before.

It means that because I have used the word "before", I'm referring to a period of time prior to the seasonals existing. Which means from Day 1 to when 1.05 was released, about a month after launch. It's not my fault if you can't put two and two together to establish that from a simple sentence.

The OP is playing with an version of GT6 without any updates, so for all intents and purposes his gaming experience with GT6 is exactly the same as if he was playing on day 1. He clearly specified that he's playing with V1.0, but I expect that you didn't read that either.

If you have any more things that you haven't bothered to read but you'd like to debate anyway, wheel them out.

Sorry, i need a "WHOEPS", and need to appologise to you. I overlooked the "before seasonals".
The worse part? I overlooked it twice, yesterday and today. Shame on me :embarrassed:

But for the better part, i wish you and the rest of gtplanet a merry christmass.:cheers:

It is better than GT5 and a great game in general, the bad thing it's , it's too short, but than again they have the course maker ,seasonal event to keep playing.

And i have never seen a game in a forum or in general to gather so much complaints so much hate in every single thread, jesus.

I voted Yes. I tend to agree with the OP on most things, but not all. Sure it's a GT game, but it's really just GT5.1 to me. Here's why:

- The 'improvement' in physics was very, very minor. Less sticky tires and more body roll, whoopie....
- It has the same trophies to unlock. I just did all these! C'mon now. Get creative...oh wait, that's why we are here in the first place.
- No Shuffle Racing. Only PD would add something successful just to remove it later. Another example is how many tracks have they removed in an attempt to 'keep things fresh'.
- The car settings are STILL BACKWARDS, they refuse to either test this game's car settings at all, or they need to fire their tester and hire me. Seriously, what is wrong with them?
- Absolutely no career mode to speak of. Remember the amount of career mode in GT3 and 4 it was glorious!
- Online play killed Gran Turismo. I think GT4 was so great because they decided NOT to make the game online. Which was a genius idea because A)PSN wouldn't have supported the bandwidth, nor our internet connections at the time B) The could pour their time into the offline/career mode events and build an extensive car & track library.
- Skid Recovery Force (these words are backwards too, btw, it should be 'Skid Force Recovery' imo) is for beginners. Sorry, but you became Gran Turismo by giving us the realism from day one. Now, you are trying to increase sales by appeasing to the Need For Speeders of the world. When PD decided to force this feature on for License Tests, it was the beginning of the end.
- No online leaderboards. It was in GTHD, what happened?
- I didn't like GT5 when it came out either, I didn't hate it, I was just 'disappointed' with the SRF, how they structured the online play and how sticky the tires were. I played that game for about 18 months straight, so it wasn't as bad as I thought initially. Fair enough, but GT6 like I mentioned before is GT5.1 and I couldn't even play this game for more than 3 months. I played Rocket League for 5 months solid this summer and I didn't pay a dime for it either.
- Sounds, don't need to say anything more.
- Standards, don't need to say anything more, but I will. Less Is More. Give us just 100% purely HD cars to drive. Again, don't try and increase sales by boasting a 1,000 car line up. They're mostly awful looking duplicates anyway.

That's all I can think of for now. GT7 is their last chance to impress me. If they don't get it right, I'm out.[/rant] :)

Jerome

Last edited:

There are a limited number of cars available to drive in arcade mode, but when you buy a car and add it to favourites it becomes available in arcade mode. 99 favourite cars are available to drive in arcade mode the same as in GT5.

I use a wheel and I felt that the improvements in driving physics were significant with GT6 being a lot better than GT5 - just my opinion though.

there are many things wrong with the game / many things that could be improved, but I still enjoy racing online with friends.

Reactions: VBR
It is better than GT5 and a great game in general, the bad thing it's , it's too short, but than again they have the course maker ,seasonal event to keep playing.

And i have never seen a game in a forum or in general to gather so much complaints so much hate in every single thread, jesus.
I see you didn't visit the Project Cars Forum since the game was launched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back