Gran Turismo 6 - The Worst Driving Game I Have Ever Played - My Ranty Review of GT6 (V1.0)

• Thread starter Doomotron
  • 123 comments

Do You Hate Gran Turismo 6?

• Yes

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 100 92.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tad bit off-topic, but, just out of curiosity, has the Cizeta V16T been fixed yet, or is it still undriveable?
IDK. Haven't driven it since before the fix, but I'd expect it to be fixed since all other MR cars have been.

Tad bit off-topic, but, just out of curiosity, has the Cizeta V16T been fixed yet, or is it still undriveable?

You mean the problem with aftermarket rims causing the rear wheels to be as narrow as the fronts? That's been fixed.

Not that the Cizeta will ever be a very easy car to drive, of course.

There's something to be said for reviewing a game at v1.0. It's the standard, and it's what every player is guaranteed to experience. You don't see gaming outlets issuing re-reviews for every single update. So those insisting the game be the newest version are just the other side of the coin. He doesn't like the game, you do.

That being said, @Doomotron - you're purposely setting things up for the outcome you want. If you don't like a game, not updating it is a guaranteed way to continue not liking it. Updating it may bring things you enjoy.

What does one track not being added have to do with PD's loyalty?

What is this nebulous "level", then?

Calling someone lazy, when they can't be bothered to do something, isn't an insult. It's accurate.

Assumption.

Where is the course maker in every other game?

Do you see the flaw in this train of thought?

It seems that you may have screwed up a little quoting my post. :D

In any case, how is what I said ironic? I don't see only what I want to with GT6. I've said it before: GT6 isn't perfect. There are issues with it that I really, really would like fixed, chief among them being the limited Arcade mode and lack of endurance races. I just choose to focus on the things I like about GT6 while I'm here on GTP, as a) I don't like spending much time dwelling on things I hate, and b) all of my complaints have been brought up a million times before.

Not that the Cizeta will ever be a very easy car to drive, of course.
Quick tip for a car like that: put a tire compound that is harder in the front than the rear to help prevent oversteer. Works great on a car like the BTR.

You don't have to have an Android or iOS device to run the Track Path Editor. You just... don't. All you have to have is an emulator for PC, and it still works brilliantly with a mouse and keyboard.

The fact that the TPE doesn't run on PS3 is still kind of BS. They could have made it run as a stand-alone app on the PS3, but they didn't. The thing was built in Unity, which is completely capable of compiling to PS3.

There are ways around the limitations, but the limitations seem arbitrary and to serve no real purpose. The fact that it can be run on PCs and phones brings into question why it was ever limited in the first place.

They likely didn't because of hardware limitations. Again, the PS3 is 8 or 9 years old now, and the hardware is the same as in a top end 2000-2005 PC.

Hardware limitations are unlikely to be the reason that there aren't more GT4-era tracks. It's not like these tracks with their low poly counts and low res textures are going to be more taxing on the hardware than a full time/weather premium track.

It's more likely that it simply takes time to prep a track for transition, and they didn't want to spend more time on tracks that weren't going to be usable going into PS4.

Out of the box, GT6 has more tracks and varieties than any other current racing sim. If I recall, it was about 71 tracks across 20 locations.​

I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but Pcars has over 100 layouts from 37 locations currently, with at least one more track planned.​

I completley agree with the OP point of view but not his reasoning

The issue he is intimating is the standard of new software ,most are not finished and no where near as good out of the box as they were prior to internet support

GT1-4 did not have internet support for patching ,so it had to be almost bug free out of the box ,otherwise sales would have been low ,it had to be good

Too many software houses and publishers are releasing software then relying on internet patching to try and finish the product

The real problem here is being over looked ,We are buying software that isnt finished without a guarentee it will acutally work as they say it will and in most cases paying full price for and in cases like digital downloads no chance of refund

Dont get me wrong internet support is a wonderfull tool ,but it should be used to enhance the existing finished product ,not to be abused by releasing an unfinished software in the hope they can fix it

GT1-4 did not have internet support for patching ,so it had to be almost bug free out of the box ,otherwise sales would have been low ,it had to be good
I didn't think GT5 and GT6 was that buggy.

My bad! See, I didn't pay a lot of attention to PCars.

The track list is one of the best things about Pcars IMO.

Edit: Back on topic, I don't know why anyone would "hate" GT6, it seems a bit much to go that far really. I believe my opinion on GT6 is well documented here, in short I believe it's by far the worst game in the series (excluding prologues and the like), and yet I would never say I hate it. It has some good features and some parts that are done well, and to hate something like a videogame, which you absolutely don't have to have anything to do with, is just a bit weird IMO.

GT6 has some very accurate tracks, for example, the Nurburgring, including the Nordschleife, and Mt Panorama, are both more accurate than the version found in Pcars, as are a couple of other tracks. There are some poor circuits too, but it's the same as the car list, the best ones are extremely high quality, and the worst are best forgotten. Another great feature in GT6 is the way online is set up. The community and seasonals are very well implemented.

Last edited:
I disagree with people who want to go back to 2002 with the PS2 where there wasnt much ability to get updates out to games. This world is gone. There is no going back. The entire industry has moved FOREVER for better or worse.

IMO one of the worst things about PD and Sony is that they move to their own schedule. Even as it stands GT comes out when it wants to come out.

The flipside is a situation where GT5 comes out in 2010, 4yrs after the console release. A return to the situation of GT4 means even slow releases.

Contrast this to Microsoft which is on its 2nd release of Forza 2yrs into its life. I would rather everyone release more software that can be fixed, rather than extended development times.

Also I want to criticise PDs implementation of updates rather than their intention. They wanted to release monthly updates with VGT and tracks etc.

You must admit there's been substantial if not regular updates like Midfield, the Academys, the Course Editors etc.

Their intention was for you to buy the game at release and get monthly installments where you can download and enjoy new content.

If you buy a game two years and dont bother downloading anything then you're not using the software to the company's intent. Its like if you buy those Telltale episodic games and play EP1 and say everything is crap.

Midfield Raceway.

If you dont have this glorious track, for free, then you're missing out on the GT6 experience.

I dont care much for the Academy but I reckon we'll be getting another one this year, new cars, new challenges, 3yrs later. I cannot imagine that GT Sport will be here by late this year.

Midfield Raceway.

If you dont have this glorious track, for free, then you're missing out on the GT6 experience.

I dont care much for the Academy but I reckon we'll be getting another one this year, new cars, new challenges, 3yrs later. I cannot imagine that GT Sport will be here by late this year.
Plus the inclusion of Red Bull Ring, and Sierra which was a step towards course maker.

Yes, the user made tracks in seasonals is a good thing. Like a lot of things they should have exploited it more but thats typical of PD.

Midfield Raceway.

I really don't like the new version of this track. These companies always ruin all good things. Special Stage Route 5, for example.

I think the updates are positives and show the providers are keeping interest and development in the game as things evolve.

It's tough to say. The regular updates for GT6 were indeed a positive thing, but then that sort of needs to be balanced against the fact that the game absolutely needed them. As this thread has well demonstrated, GT6 1.0 wasn't actually that good a game.

It's similar to pCARS on console, it's nice that they've kept up with the updates, but they really had to because the game totally needed all those fixes.

Regular updates are fantastic when they're adding additional content over and above what the game needed at release to feel complete. It's kind of mandatory when they're bug fixes or patching in delayed features.

No spectators or staff? They're kidding us...
Still ignoring all the positives about GT6? Maybe if you gave it a chance and updated it you'd actually come to enjoy some stuff about it. Sierra, for instance, is one of the best tracks in the series period; the Course Maker has allowed for some absolutely glorious tracks made by other members of the community; and there are numerous other tweaks and fixes in the updates that make GT6 much more enjoyable than it was in v1.0.

But you're not going to be able to experience any of this because you refuse to update. Listen, if you want to miss out on a great driving experience, fine. Just stop spewing negativity and hatred towards the game when most of your criticisms are outdated and no longer valid.

...I've just stumbled onto this thread and I don't even... What is this place?

While it's entertaining (:indiff:) to read through, I feel the need to ask the OP, why review something you don't even like? Why waste your valuable time playing a game you so obviously don't enjoy?

When I got Dragon's Dogma on the cheap, I hated the experience, so after playing for a bit, I stopped, let alone write up a detailed review of it.

I just don't understand your motive for this thread. Ranting? I'm sure you heard of the Epic Crying & Whining thread over yonder. At least over there, you'd run into a fair few like-minded folks, instead of here where you end up making up some migraine inducing "reasons" for not liking the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back