Gran Turismo 6 - The Worst Driving Game I Have Ever Played - My Ranty Review of GT6 (V1.0)

• Thread starter Doomotron
  • 123 comments

Do You Hate Gran Turismo 6?

• Yes

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 100 92.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the vote is very clearly in favor of GT by a factor of 15.6.

Just pointing out that detail.

Just keep in mind, the best experience in a game is when it's in its most current state. Update GT6 and then try it again. You'll see that a lot of your criticisms will not hold a valid point with GT6 1.22.

Yeah if you live in the west and you dont have unlimited internet, dont buy a modern console and modern games.

Its a fact that you will need to download gigs and spend ages on updates.

Reviewing GT6 at 1.0 is a waste of time to 99% of us who live with reasonable internet. I dont not care what things are like Christmas TWO YEARS AGO.

GT6 criticisms especially over GT5 are valid. God knows even in its current 1.22 state its unsatisfactory but to have a 'review' with wildly limit factors is worthless to anyone.

I am well known to not be particularly supportive of Polyphony and the direction that they've taken with GT5 and GT6, but even I wouldn't say I hate the game. It irritates me that so much potential went to waste, but as a game the worst you could reasonably say about it is that it's mediocre. It's not a horrendously awful game, it's mostly not face-palmingly buggy, it's just...not particularly exciting.

Were it to stand alone without the Gran Turismo brand on the cover, it would just be one of those games that nobody would remember in a few years. As it is, it gets compared to some of the best racing games in history simply because of it's name, and as such there's a tendency for people to make it sound worse than it is.

You're never going to get many people voting that they "hate" it, because almost everyone here liked GT at some point or they probably wouldn't have bothered signing up and posting. GT6 isn't coming around a punting anyone's puppy or widdling in anyone's Cheerios, it's just an average game from a company that has a history of producing games that are well above that.

It's the C- result from the straight A student. Most people are rational enough not to hate that. They're disappointed, at worst.

Yeah if you live in the west and you dont have unlimited internet, dont buy a modern console and modern games.

Its a fact that you will need to download gigs and spend ages on updates.

Reviewing GT6 at 1.0 is a waste of time to 99% of us who live with reasonable internet.

I agree that reviewing 1.0 at this stage is a waste of time, but internet is what it is. Saying that buying a modern console is a waste without unlimited internet is a bit of a lie. There are many people who manage just fine, because they have to. The option for unlimited doesn't exist (or is ridiculously overpriced), and so we just have to manage our caps.

I'm sure that's a strange idea to you, but that's the reality for people who don't have fibre running past their doorstep. I got a new computer for Christmas, but I need to wait until next month before I start downloading Steam games because I don't have enough space left on my cap. It sucks, but that's life.

You're never going to get many people voting that they "hate" it, because almost everyone here liked GT at some point or they probably wouldn't have bothered signing up and posting.
I still have PS2/GT4 and I still play the game occasionally(lovely game)
About PS3/GT5/GT6,I sold them.
This is why I can say from my heart that I hate this 🤬 game.
GT6 claim to be a simulation but does not even have tire wear/fuel consumption,this is ridiculous :yuck:
PD must make a miracle with GTSport to bring me back to GT.

Survey says GT6 is a great game. It is for me but I could understand some of the ranter's gripes. I think his main gripe is that it's a bit too hard. I used to regularly play GT back in ps2, had loads of cars and money from cheats and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have to admit not having the benefit of cheats portions of the game is a tard too tedious and the better cars are much too expensive with some many many millions of credits in order to buy. Re the Seasonals which earns one more credits my gripe is that in order to play the Seasonals you have to have a PSN account and like me whose country is not on the dropdown list of selectable countries in order to first create a PSN account you're pretty much out of the loop.

That being said ever since I bought the game about 2-3 weeks ago (and after doing the multitude of needed updates) I've been playing pretty much every day like an addict and dreaming GT6. It's like every chance I get I want to get back on and play and I generally play for hours each day. The game for me has a very realistic appearance and feel and the graphics quality is awesome. I really don't know how much better it can get than that.

Which is why I said "you won't get many". There's always going to be some for whom there is no middle ground, either they love something or they hate it. There are many stereotypes about such people, but most of them are unkind.

Survey says GT6 is a great game.

The one in the OP? No, it doesn't. It says that it's not an awful game. There's a difference.

That being said ever since I bought the game about 2-3 weeks ago (and after doing the multitude of needed updates) I've been playing pretty much every day like an addict and dreaming GT6. It's like every chance I get I want to get back on and play and I generally play for hours each day. The game for me has a very realistic appearance and feel and the graphics quality is awesome. I really don't know how much better it can get than that.

Look, it's great that you're enjoying it and I don't want you to take what I'm gonna say next as criticising or belittling that. You're having fun, and that's a good thing.

But there's more to a game than having awesome graphics.

Depending on your previous experience with sims, I can definitely understand why you might think that it has a very realistic feel. It doesn't do too bad, on the overall scheme of things, but there's definitely a lot of modern games that do substantially better in that area.

GT6 has pretty good graphics, as long as you look at the right bits. It drives pretty well, as long as you don't compare it to more capable simulations of which there are a few. But the real point where it could get a lot better is it's gameplay.

Maybe the AI is just right for you, but it's not for many and it's one of the biggest complaints about the game.
Maybe you find the car sounds to be accurate and enthralling, but they're not for many.
Maybe you find the career mode engaging, but it's not for many.
Maybe you find the single player game modes provide you the opportunity and encouragement to play the way you want, but they don't for many.
Maybe you find the online to be stable and engaging, but it's not for many.

There are plenty of areas where GT6 could be improved, and not through any lack of hardware power, but purely through design decisions.

But knowing all this isn't going to improve your enjoyment of the game in any way, so I suggest you ignore it and keep playing. If you hit the wall that most of us did in a week or a month or two or six, then this discussion will still be here. And then you'll understand how much better it could have been.

Which is why I said "you won't get many". There's always going to be some for whom there is no middle ground, either they love something or they hate it. There are many stereotypes about such people, but most of them are unkind.

jim_carrey_68069.jpg

:D

In GT6 you need to play a lot to get a lot of money and to get the most expensive cars, thats true... But Isnt that normal? What do you expect? To do a couple of race events of 3 laps each, and get you a trillion credits?

Survey says GT6 is a great game. It is for me but I could understand some of the ranter's gripes. I think his main gripe is that it's a bit too hard. I used to regularly play GT back in ps2, had loads of cars and money from cheats and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have to admit not having the benefit of cheats portions of the game is a tard too tedious and the better cars are much too expensive with some many many millions of credits in order to buy. Re the Seasonals which earns one more credits my gripe is that in order to play the Seasonals you have to have a PSN account and like me whose country is not on the dropdown list of selectable countries in order to first create a PSN account you're pretty much out of the loop.

I think you can create a PSN account in any country you want, just need a valid email address. it's hard to edit afterwards. it's not like the homeland security cares.

I think you can create a PSN account in any country you want, just need a valid email address. it's hard to edit afterwards. it's not like the homeland security cares.

I did try the other day with no joy. "Connection lost" error message (and I know my internet connection is very good). I think I may try again tomorrow and see if I might be lucky.

UPDATE 28 Dec: Good news. Instead of trying to create the PSN account from the console I decided to try creating the account from my computer and lo and behold I was successful. Then I was able to log in on the console so now I can participate in the Seasonals etc and also have the benefit of bonus credits for races etc. Happy camper now.

Last edited:

Just keep in mind, the best experience in a game is when it's in its most current state. Update GT6 and then try it again. You'll see that a lot of your criticisms will not hold a valid point with GT6 1.22.
Will I be able to drive all the cars in Arcade Mode (excluding favorites)?

GT6 claim to be a simulation but does not even have tire wear/fuel consumption,this is ridiculous :yuck:
PD must make a miracle with GTSport to bring me back to GT.
For me to play GT7, it must be as good as GT3/GT4. Not lower. Also I would have to ask for a PS4, which will be a pain...

Last edited by a moderator:
In GT6 you need to play a lot to get a lot of money and to get the most expensive cars, thats true... But Isnt that normal? What do you expect? To do a couple of race events of 3 laps each, and get you a trillion credits?
I'm not expecting that, but I am expecting better income from races, not 600CR for one race, I also expect better cars, not an Autobianchi. Yes, these are both prizes from GT4, which was a shame, but everyone (Probably) got around this with the Capri Rally :cheers: .

For winning a Sunday Cup race, I'd like 1000CR, and for completing the entire cup, maybe an MX5.

PS3 doesn't connect to internet by itself, you need to set up the connection - either wifi, or plug in a cable.
Do you perhaps have an older brother or sister or a cool uncle that could show you how?
I have no brothers or sisters, my uncle is dead, and my parents don't understand how these things work...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not expecting that, but I am expecting better income from races, not 600CR for one race, I also expect better cars, not an Autobianchi. Yes, these are both prizes from GT4, which was a shame, but everyone (Probably) got around this with the Capri Rally :cheers: .

For winning a Sunday Cup race, I'd like 1000CR, and for completing the entire cup, maybe an MX5.

For the first few events they give little money, true, but with the 5x Bonus for connecting online, and once you advance in the game, you get much much more. And for the seasonals and online quick match events, they give you a very very high money reward.

Is that a FTFY?

I'll quote and explain the complaints in about 20 mins.

@Doomotron Please don't double post. Use the +quote feature if you wish to quote more than one post.

I may have phrased that badly. What I meant was a lot of his complaints were fixed as of 1.22.

Welcome to my mostly ranty reeview of GT6, the latest of the GT games. NOTE: I am playing this game on V1.0 as I cannot be bothered to spend four hours of my life updating a game I do not like. Also, I often get Download errors when updating, so I almost cannot update it...

Sorry, but this automatically invalidates your entire argument.

Sorry, but this automatically invalidates your entire argument.
As I said in the quote, I refuse to update any game I do not like, as it would be a waste of my precious time. Most of the time I live in Britain because of various reasons. I get to France after school on a Friday at 2:45PM (English time). It takes two hours to get to where I live in France. I don't have the time to waste four hours updating a game I do not like. In that time, I could have played better games like Gran Turismo 5, Burnout Paradise, GTA Online, Sonic And All-Stars Racing Transformed, and the list goes on...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back