Gran Turismo 7 coming "best case scenario" in 2014

• Thread starter SynGamer
  • 306 comments
From NeoGaf:

Ahsan Rasheed @thuway

GT 7 tech demo. Nothing to describe other than it looked amazing. It was snowing and at night. Cockpit view, then turned to outside the car.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=720111
Sadly, that's all we have for information at this time. I honestly can't see PD or Sony allowing a leak of GT on the PS4 until AFTER Gran Turismo 6 releases on the PS3 next month...

While I'm really looking forward to GT6, mainly for the extra tracks and physics update, I'm definitely looking forward to GT7 purely because I'm excited to see what technological improvements they can make with the next gen hardware.

As we know from previous articles and comments by Kaz, the PS3 hardware has really limited them, they even had to remove things that the PS2 had like heat waves from the track surface.

I'd be happy if they didn't add any more cars, I'd be happy if they didn't release any more tracks. I'd even be happy if the graphics and features were kept the same (but just running really really fast!).

What I DO want to see, are the things that I believe have been "missing" from the GT series but have been in various other games - things like rubber build up on the track affecting grip, heat wave effects, dry/wet lines also affecting grip, vastly improved sounds including gearbox whine, rubber pelting at the underside of the car, burbling and bangs from the exhaust off throttle, better turbo noise, brake squeal as the temperature of the brakes changed, brake fade as the brakes get too hot and haven't been upgraded, engine swaps. That's the minimum of what I think a simulator should have.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes :) I'd also like to add more dynamic AI (because you can ALWAYS improve AI), more cars per race (wouldn't mind seeing 20-24), and better damage. I would also like to see proper debris on tracks (sand/dirt), or snow build-up based on where cars drive. I expect the graphics to improve, along with AA and a more steady framerate, but it's the small touches that I feel GT is lacking currently.

Last edited:
Sadly, that's all we have for information at this time. I honestly can't see PD or Sony allowing a leak of GT on the PS4 until AFTER Gran Turismo 6 releases on the PS3 next month...

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Imagine how completely destructive it would be for GT6 which hasn't even been realised if a leaked image of GT7 on PS4 was to be shown.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Imagine how completely destructive it would be for GT6 which hasn't even been realised if a leaked image of GT7 on PS4 was to be shown.
I have GT6 pre-ordered...but as someone who has a DFGT but no racing seat, I'm thinking of saving that $60 and putting it towards a PS4. So, naturally I would LOVE to see GT on the PS4 ;)

@Syngamer - no need to double post: you can hit Reply on every post you want to respond to, and they'll fill up the response box in order, before you type anything 👍

Pardon me quoting the first page, just got home:

GT3 had very little over GT2 other than better graphics. New cars, tweaked physics, a few new tracks, yep - but then again, that wouldn't be impossible for a hypothetical GT7 to manage in a year on PS4.

Even a GT6 shorn of its last-gen assets (Standards and a few of the uglier tracks) tossed onto the PS4 right now would do quite well in the genre, really. There'd be absolutely no slow-down unlike the PS3 version, and PD could always pretty it up in short order with even better lighting and more extravagant particle effects.

There are some here who say it's absolutely impossible to modify the code of a game developed for PS3 and release it on PS4.

Just no. Take your time PD. One year will not be enough to:

1. Enjoy GT6 at its full.
2. Come up with a decent successor with at least a good 600 cars, a good amount of tracks and as many or more features than current GT titles.

I don't want (and I know most feel the same) a GT7 Prologue.

Me neither! Mind, I really doubt we'll see it on shelves in 2014; I expect very late 2015, maybe even 2016. Just because GT6 is the first GT to launch on time this millennium doesn't mean I'm not going to expect delays again, at least for a while :P

As for your list:

1. Eh, after the first year mark with GT5, I had done pretty much everything I wanted, personally. Yes, DLC brought me back for short stints, but my completion percentage hasn't budged since then. GT6, having a lot less new content than 5 did over 4, doesn't look like it'll keep me any longer - though the full power of the course editor can definitely change that, once we know more.
2. We're up to over 400+ Premos, right? Most of those could reasonably kill off all the duplicate Standards, as we don't really need 3 dozen Miatas. Pick about 100 Standards that really need to be upgraded to Premium, add the same amount of new-to-the-series cars, and stick the other Standards on a backlog list to slowly work on upgrading, while mixing in new cars. It's frankly unreasonable to expect every Standard to make the transfer; some just aren't important, unless someone really wants to make an argument for how the Honda Element really needs a 500k poly model to be admired ;). Besides, I assume they have access to some usage numbers from online, to determine which cars are popular with the userbase.

first reaction: Are you ___ing kidding me? GT6 ain't even out yet and THEN they choose to move to PS4?!?!
Next reaction: Yeeaahh there's no way that GT7 would come out next year. 2015-16 MAYBE. (when everyone's GT6 disks magically shatter or something). Even then, I'd bet on a compatibility demo before we see a fully competent, prize-fighting PS4 ready GT7.
I'm pretty sure someone mentioned this before, but I think the first instance we'll see of GT on the PS4 is the GT Academy. What better way to debut on the system (in a reasonable amount of time) than that GT Academy. Glorified demo yes, but still a great way to build hype. But...those are usually during the Summer. Next year will be interesting regardless.

There are some here who say it's absolutely impossible to modify the code of a game developed for PS3 and release it on PS4.

Well, we don't know one way or another. I suppose that depends on if the company approached it knowing that would need to be done or not. We do know there's games coming for both PS3 and PS4, but whether they were treated as two separate games during development is up to, well, the developers.

That said, PD still has the hard stuff out of the way (all the assets).

I believe the tech demo is real, it's probably just a few cars and a track. I highly doubt it'll be leaked so no worries there.

This changes nothing to me. I will still get GT6 and then buy a PS4 ONLY when GT7 comes out and still run my old PS3 then because the PS4 is purely a gaming machine and I use my PS3 as a network media player to listen to music, watch downloaded TV and movies, etc. The PS4 doesn't even have a Youtube app!!

I think the prologue version will come in 2014, but the GT7 will come Q3/Q4 2015 i think.. That would be the most realistic.

The premium cars for GT5/6 are in high resolution, that's no problem for using it for GT7.

So i think if they add up 100 premium cars more for GT7, and tweak the game then at least a release for Q4 2015, it can't be that quick. Expect a demo or prologue.
What about tracks? I don't think they are future proof and PD needs to work on the sounds, too. PD please take your time. Every 2-3 years a new GT would be fine.

So is it time to create the Gran Turismo 7 sub-forum on GTPlanet? LOL.
Indeed :D

Last edited:
If PD wants to have GT6 supported for at least a year, it doesn't make sense to launch GT7 near the end of 2014. I could see an E3 2014 stunt showing off what GT will be able to do on the PS4, maybe with a trailer and such, but a 2015 launch seems more likely.

Maybe in the Spring…? That's sometimes a launch window...

If PD wants to have GT6 supported for at least a year, it doesn't make sense to launch GT7 near the end of 2014. I could see an E3 2014 stunt showing off what GT will be able to do on the PS4, maybe with a trailer and such, but a 2015 launch seems more likely.

Agreed, that does make sense.

GT7 next year obviously isn't going to happen. However I wouldn't call it a stretch if they happened to show some form of a trailer/tech demo @ E3 or a little after, just to get our pants wet.

GT3 was released in April (Japan) and July, and that was a generation leap GT game. I, too, think it can be a great spring 2015 game. That's a solid PS4 bundle right there for you!

2014 just seems too pre-mature.

From everything I've seen and heard, I do believe we will see GT7 on the PS4 IN 12-18 months.

My opinion is that GT6 was originally going to be a PS4 game, yet Sony pushed it back to the PS3. So I believe Polyphony Digital already has Gran Turismo up and running on the PS4 in some shape or form. The GT7 tech demo of inside the cockpit of a car at night in the snow leads me to believe this. So GT6 on PS3 is, IMO, a PS4 GT game downscaled to PS3, so thats why its having some performance issues. I dont believe PD simply bit off more then they could chew with the PS3, they're just having trouble downscaling a PS4 quality game to PS3.

Also theres no way we would have heard Kaz say TWICE now GT7 could appear in a year or two. Obviously he has confident in their ability to produce a game on the system quickly, as the foundation on PS4 is likely already in place.

Why would GT7 on PS4 in 12 months be such a bad thing? Sure, alot of content will be cut. Maybe half the tracks and 75% of the cars. But since when did amount of content make a game? 4-500 cars and 16 or so tracks is enough to make a great game. GT3 had 180 cars and 12 or so tracks, and its still the highest rated GT game to date.

I know the other guys had to cut the Nurburgring, but you have to remember that version of the Ring was terribly inaccurate, and will have to be built again from the ground up. I dont see GT7 having such issues. Just give it 3D trees near the track, smooth out the barriers, and add higher res grass and road textures. They dont have to rescan the whole thing again like the other guys.

Bring on GT7 2014. Why not? Nobody is forcing anyone to buy it, and it gives PD plenty of time to patch problems and produce DLC for GT6.

Didn't they work on GT2 and GT3 simultaneously? Is it possible they did the same, to some extent, here with GT6 / GT7 too? I'm not going to assume that we'll see GT7 next year, but it's far from impossible - especially given how they're managing ("future-proofing") content now.

@Earth makes sense, and that's the thing that makes me concerned about the whole thing. Going with his theory that GT6 is a downscaled GT7, sure, GT7 will undoubtably be great. But since we already have GT6 right now why not give them the extra time GT6 will make to put in the Extra content that would have been excluded otherwise?

From everything I've seen and heard, I do believe we will see GT7 on the PS4 IN 12-18 months.

My opinion is that GT6 was originally going to be a PS4 game, yet Sony pushed it back to the PS3. So I believe Polyphony Digital already has Gran Turismo up and running on the PS4 in some shape or form. The GT7 tech demo of inside the cockpit of a car at night in the snow leads me to believe this. So GT6 on PS3 is, IMO, a PS4 GT game downscaled to PS3, so thats why its having some performance issues. I dont believe PD simply bit off more then they could chew with the PS3, they're just having trouble downscaling a PS4 quality game to PS3.

Also theres no way we would have heard Kaz say TWICE now GT7 could appear in a year or two. Obviously he has confident in their ability to produce a game on the system quickly, as the foundation on PS4 is likely already in place.

Why would GT7 on PS4 in 12 months be such a bad thing? Sure, alot of content will be cut. Maybe half the tracks and 75% of the cars. But since when did amount of content make a game? 4-500 cars and 16 or so tracks is enough to make a great game. GT3 had 180 cars and 12 or so tracks, and its still the highest rated GT game to date.

I know the other guys had to cut the Nurburgring, but you have to remember that version of the Ring was terribly inaccurate, and will have to be built again from the ground up. I dont see GT7 having such issues. Just give it 3D trees near the track, smooth out the barriers, and add higher res grass and road textures. They dont have to rescan the whole thing again like the other guys.

Bring on GT7 2014. Why not? Nobody is forcing anyone to buy it, and it gives PD plenty of time to patch problems and produce DLC for GT6.
All if the blue that is in GT6 and is the dominant color/colour in the PS4 GUI, makes me raise an eyebrow. "Things that make you go hmmmm"

All if the blue that is in GT6 and is the dominant color/colour in the PS4 GUI, makes me raise an eyebrow. "Things that make you go hmmmm"

This is looking more and more like a conspiracy. Suppose GT7 ends up looking blue as well?

From all this talk, seems like you guys just want to skip Gran Turismo 6 already. I'll be enjoying GT6 for as long as PD maintains it~ GT7 can wait in my book, along with the PS4; they should take their time in making a great standoff title for the PS4~

@Earth makes sense, and that's the thing that makes me concerned about the whole thing. Going with his theory that GT6 is a downscaled GT7, sure, GT7 will undoubtably be great. But since we already have GT6 right now why not give them the extra time GT6 will make to put in the Extra content that would have been excluded otherwise?

If they're only modeling 30-40 cars a year, waiting an extra year wont help much. The other game is getting very solid scores despite having less content then previous titles. This may be controversial, but I hope PD starts to entertain free to play and DLC models of other games. It gets us a content faster, but at a price, a price Im willing to pay. Give us half the cars you built in DLC, the other half on disc in the next retail game.

I can imagine it: all premium cars, all premium tracks, all tracks with time and weather change. Just having a high quality consistent experience will be worth the cut in content IMO. PD proved quite thoroughly with GT5 that the amount of content and time spent making a game wont necessarily make it good. Theres no guarantee GT7 will be a better game if its released 2 or 3 years from now instead of 1.

Also why was Kaz in the PS4 reveal video if we arent going to see a game from his team for years? Then you have amar212's source telling him GT6 was in deveopment for PS4, and that he was surprised it turned out to be a PS3 title, as his source is very reliable.

Then there is Kaz's quote 'We aim for the latest technology and expression' when asked about which console GT6 will be on, about 9 months before the official unveiling.

So I believe they are further along in development for the PS4 then many may believe. I definitely think we'll see a teaser or trailer of some sort at the next E3.

Back