Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
I mean, it's really not that surprising.

That really hasn't been a thing for games this generation. See every game released this gen that works for both consoles. There's a load of them.

I'm aware, just moreso throwing a possibility out there.

Well, if they removed aspects of previous games because it wouldn't work with GTS on the PS4, I can't see it being in any better a position for newer features like TOD and dynamic weather. I can't imagine Cars per race being much bigger, or things like Ai and Physics making significant advancements. It'll be developed as a PS4 game that works on the PS5, while the PS5 likely just looking more prettier and running better and quicker.

They don't seem to like to make compromises with the most recent iteration so they removed them completely. I would imagine they'd follow the same train of thought with the new direction they took with the PS4 generation.

This is about what I expect to have happen honestly, given PDs track record with previous titles. Thankfully I'm not all-in on GT7, so if it ends up being lackluster, it'll be disappointing, but not the end of the world.

Plus, and I'm aware I'm probably very alone on this, but while ToD and Dynamic Weather a very nice indeed, I don't necessarily need them to be present for a game to be enjoyable. I'm much more concerned if the cross-platform setup effects A.I., physics and general gameplay. Hopefully ToD and Dynamic Weather make it in, but those being absent won't make me call GT7 a bad game, just the same for cross-platform availability.

Maybe only partially cross gen? Full game on PS5/partial game on PS4.

They could maintain player numbers this way. Incentivizing PS5 sales for access to newer features but allowing both consoles to overlap. Unlike the PS3 to PS4 transition where some player were hesitant to buy the new game.

Does cross-gen affect game content (cars, tracks, events...)? If it only affects graphics and physics, I don't care that GT7 is in PS4 and PS5. But if that's why we have less content... It's would hurt me.

So let me get this straight... The Head of PlayStation Studios said it was cross gen
Nope.

The head of PlayStation Studios said "Where it makes sense to [do a thing] - [examples of where it makes sense] - we'll continue looking at it".

And yes, it definitely makes sense to do it for GT7... in some aspects. It's a good example of where it would make sense.

Sony PR confirmed it to PushSquare...
That remains unclear; we also got a response from Sony (well, PlayStation) PR, but it literally only quoted the original line back at us.
and we are still not sure?
Yup. That bit's straight at least.
Nope, he said more games would be considered BEYOND HZD2, GoW and GT7.
He definitely didn't, given that the word "beyond" appears literally nowhere in the entire post.

If and when actual confirmation appears, I'll write the article about it. For now:

upload_2021-6-3_17-5-38.png

Last edited:
I'm aware, just moreso throwing a possibility out there.
That's fine, but again, that really hasn't been a possibility for this gen as it really doesn't look to be working that way anymore.

This is about what I expect to have happen honestly, given PDs track record with previous titles. Thankfully I'm not all-in on GT7, so if it ends up being lackluster, it'll be disappointing, but not the end of the world.

Plus, and I'm aware I'm probably very alone on this, but while ToD and Dynamic Weather a very nice indeed, I don't necessarily need them to be present for a game to be enjoyable. I'm much more concerned if the cross-platform setup effects A.I., physics and general gameplay. Hopefully ToD and Dynamic Weather make it in, but those being absent won't make me call GT7 a bad game, just the same for cross-platform availability.
Definitely doesn't mean it'll be a bad game, but it sounds more or less like it'll be the same game with small incremental changes instead of a nice generational jump. Cross-platform really isn't in the same ballpark as Cross-gen, but even then, they still have to develop for the lowest common denominator.

From what I've learned is the silent majority are exactly that. Silent. Not all 110million PS4 owners comment on this news.
"Not all 110 million PS4 owners" still owned PS4s when the PS5 came out, and they certainly won't when GT7 comes out in 2022, so that's a fun attempt at statistics.

But hey those who have PS5's really don't want others to play the shiny new GT7 or allow Sony to make more profit.
Oh, you. Still confusing install base with "people who will buy a game."

Google is your best friend. But one comes to mind F1 2021. Which has Ray tracing on PS5
Wow. They run the ray tracing off of the NVMe drive for F1 2021, and not the graphics hardware?

This is some fascinating common sense.

Last edited:
Nope, he said more games would be considered BEYOND HZD2, GoW and GT7.
No, he said it was considered, the implication was it was chosen to be cross gen, and he went on to say they would continue to consider other games as well. At no stage did he confirm it was cross gen. Like I said, it's very seriousely a possability, but this could simply be a case of bad wording, i.e unintentionally suggesting it's cross gen when it isn't, or a poor way of confiring it is cross gen. Or it could be very clever wording as in, "the game is delayed, we're considering getting a team to do a PS4 port, let's see what people say if we suggest it might be cross gen?"

Does cross-gen affect game content (cars, tracks, events...)? If it only affects graphics and physics, I don't care that GT7 is in PS4 and PS5. But if that's why we have less content... It's would hurt me.
not neceserly directly influence number of cars or track but to make game on both platforms you have to spend resoruces that could be used to create more content

Last edited:
You apparently need to be a rocket scientist to understand the point I'm making. Evidence shows it is not a guarentee, not that it can't happen, but that's not a guarentee. For comparison, Forza Motorsport 7, the first Forza Motorpsort title to be released on PC as well as XB, has sold worse than Forza Motorsport 6. Releasing on multiple systems/generations does not guarentee you anything.

You entire argument seems to be that a larger potential consumer base = more sales which is flawed logic and far too overly simplistic. I handle marketing for certain services my team offers at work, I can chuck a few ad's on Google and hey my potential userbase is suddenly enourmous, but I guarentee we'll lose money.

I would like to learn how my logic is flawed. Once again I have to repeat myself to you because it hasn't clicked with you. If they put it on PS5 only they will sell less than if they will put it on Ps4 and PS5. I am not in any way saying if they put it on both consoles that it will sell more than any other game.

The increased development time and cost can make it not worthwhile, and it can hinder sales. GT6 sold badly because it came out too late for the PS3 even though it only released 1 month after the PS4 came out. Of course, you can argue "ah but if would have sold more if they released a PS4 version". Maybe it would, but then you'd have seen even worse PS3 sales and would those sales have then resulted in a net profit? Or had the PS3 sales kept up, would Sony have seen a drop iin PS4 sale?
The bottom line is, who knows, each game is it's own individual case. But you can't ignore the actual evidence and what has happened in the past not just with the Gran Turismo franchsie. There are absolutely some cross-gen sales successes, but there are also games that have suffered becuse the previous gen title came out too late for that gen console and the current gen title didn't meet the quality of exclusive current gen titles. That's a big call and it takes a lot of time, effort and money to get right.
There is an increased development cost to develop the game on PS5 alone.

Yet you continue with the fallacy that a larger potential consumer base by it's own guarentees more sales. A smaller better target can yield much better profits, considerably so. A game designed to take full advantage of the PS5's hardware rather than having to keep in mind it needs to be parred down for PS4 as well, targeted at the PS5 user base and people "considering a PS5" could yield better results which is backed statistically.

If they're taking full advantage of the PS5's NVME drive they aren't making it cross gen, simple as. A ross gen title is not taking full advantage of the NVME drive. It may benefit from it, faster loading times etc. But it is not taking full advantage.
Once again you are misunderstanding what I am trying to say. I did not in any way or form say it will sell more than any other GT game. I said they will sell more copies of the game. I can not explain it any simpler than that.

Nope.

The head of PlayStation Studios said "Where it makes sense to [do a thing] - [examples of where it makes sense] - we'll continue looking at it".

Yep. Here is where I lose you and you lose me. To me it is clear as day that he is not listing examples where it makes sense but where it made sense.

And again the inclusion of HZD2 in this rundown removes all wiggle room.

I have no idea how one can have a different read on that.

It can, if they want to take full advantage of the PS5 then the PS5 will run more calcaulations per second so that can mean better physics and/or more cars on track at once. It can also mean larger environments, so you can have larger/longer tracks etc. It would run effects better so things like day/night transitions and weather effects will be mosre of a possability on PS5 than PS4. Not that they can;'t do some of those things on PS4, but they can't while pushing the console as much as GT Sport already does.

GT6 sold badly beucase it came out too late for the PS3 even though it only released 1 month after the PS4 came out. Of course, you can argue "ah but if would have sold more if they released a PS4 version". Maybe it would, but then you'd have seen even worse PS3 sales and would those sales have then resulted in a net profit? Or had the PS3 sales kept up, would Sony have seen a drop iin PS4 sale?
If GT6 was crossgen it would be one of the biggest hit for PS4. Because it filled with content and until 2015 there wasnt anything for track racing crowd.

You apparently need to be a rocket scientist to understand the point I'm making. Evidence shows it is not a guarentee, not that it can't happen, but that's not a guarentee. For comparison, Forza Motorsport 7, the first Forza Motorpsort title to be released on PC as well as XB, has sold worse than Forza Motorsport 6. Releasing on multiple systems/generations does not guarentee you anything.
Actually, FM6 Apex was first. Sure FM7 sold worse - it was not-that-different-from-FM6, buggy and involved into loot box hysteria. PC players weren't all that excited about it, but without PC players it would floop even more, for sure.

I would like to learn how my logic is flawed. Once again I have to repeat myself to you because it hasn't clicked with you. If they put it on PS5 only they will sell less than if they will put it on Ps4 and PS5. I am not in any way saying if they put it on both consoles that it will sell more than any other game.

Once again you are misunderstanding what I am trying to say. I did not in any way or form say it will sell more than any other GT game. I said they will sell more copies of the game. I can not explain it any simpler than that.
Can you back any of this up with statistics or examples? I have provided examples to show that it is in fact not as simplistic as that. I am not saying is cannoot sell more being cross gen, I am saying it is not guarenteed, you are saying it is guarenteed, which is not a guarentee. It is your claim, I have provided comparables, now you go and provide yours that confirm cross gen "guarentees" more sales. Until then end\.

If GT6 was crossgen it would be one of the biggest hit for PS4. Because it filled with content and until 2015 there wasnt anything for track racing crowd.
It may have been, but there are plenty of arguments to say it might not have too.

Actually, FM6 Apex was first. Sure FM7 sold worse - it was not-that-different-from-FM6, buggy and involved into loot box hysteria. PC players weren't all that excited about it, but without PC players it would floop even more, for sure.
Ah yes, Apex, I forgot about that title, however IIRC that was free, so more of a technical excercise than anything. I had that on my laptop when it came out and still forgot about it. But yes, Forza 7 demonstrates how muliple platforms doesn't not guarentee more sales. Ciould it have sold more if it released on XB only and had fewer bugs becuase it wasn't being developed for Windows as well? Who knows, but we can compare it to what we can compare it with, Forza 6.

Last edited:
And it's another 4-5 year wait for a true next-gen GT that's made to take complete advantage of PS5 hardware. I might not even be alive by then :lol:

Should have known back at the GT7 reveal, one image is GTSport PS4, the other is GT7 on PS5. if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

XX6ufCC.gif

That gif reminds me of the good old days with GT6 vs GT Sport :lol:

241granturismosportcl8tu82.gif

GT6 > GT Sport

Good to see GT7 PS4 get a double confirmation. Now they better bring back the offline in-game track editor on steroids edition. I want it bursting with road laying options to cut through those procedural environments they've been playing with. :drool:

Last edited:
Yep. Here is where I lose you and you lose me. To me it is clear as day that he is not listing examples where it makes sense but where it made sense.
But he said "makes".

We can put in new words or swap in different ones until he's talking about microwaving hot dogs, but they aren't the words on the page or out of his mouth. And this is why I haven't written about it being confirmed, because those words there don't confirm anything.

I'm perfectly happy for anyone to think it meets their personal level of proof, but as it stands we have no objective confirmation that the game is either cross-gen or not cross-gen. When we do, I'll write it.

Saves me buying a ps5 for 1 game :)
Yeah, same here. I was going to buy the PS5 just for GT7.
Hell, I bought the PS4 just because I wanted a real next gen Gran Turismo! Not for other games.
I was already playing all multiplatform/multiplayer games on the Xbox One (until the optical drive broke a year ago lol, so I moved to PS4).

For sure I will buy the new Xbox for Forza 8 and everything else. PS5 is on hold now because of all this nonsense....

Now. They run the ray tracing off of the NVMe drive for F1 2021, and not the graphics hardware?

This is some fascinating common sense.
Whats more Fascinating is you tried to attack me there when I didn't even mention the NVME drive :lol:

But he said "makes".

We can put in new words or swap in different ones until he's talking about microwaving hot dogs, but they aren't the words on the page or out of his mouth. And this is why I haven't written about it being confirmed, because those words there don't confirm anything.

I'm perfectly happy for anyone to think it meets their personal level of proof, but as it stands we have no objective confirmation that the game is either cross-gen or not cross-gen. When we do, I'll write it.

One more time and I´ll stop - promise.

Why would he include HZD2 in a rundown of games where he is uncertain if they will be cross gen or not?

Here´s how I read his quote:

Where it makes sense - like it did for HZD2, GOW and GT7 - we´ll continue to consider it.

Last edited:
Can you back any of this up with statistics or examples? I have provided examples to show that it is in fact not as simplistic as that. I am not saying is cannoot sell more being cross gen, I am saying it is not guarenteed, you are saying it is guarenteed, which is not a guarentee. It is your claim, I have provided comparables, now you go and provide yours that confirm cross gen "guarentees" more sales. Until then end\.
I'm not going to bother anymore. Its pointless. I've told you over and over and over again that they will sell more copies of the game if its on pS4 too but somehow you are picking up that I am saying something different.I seriously can't see how its not guaratneed that it will sell more. I will try something different and if you still think I'm saying something different I give up.

So Example A. its released on PS5 they sell 6million copies ONLY AS AN EXAMPLE.

Example B. They release it on PS^ and PS4. They sell 6 million coipies on PS5 and 2 - 3 million copies on PS5.

In example B They sold more copies than example A. Hence its guaranteed they will sell more because people will buy it on PS5 and PS4.

I repeat people will buy the game on PS4 which means more sales are guaranteed.

I AM NOT SAYING ITS GUARANTEED TO SELL MORE COPIES THAN ANY OTHER GRAN TURISMO IF IT WAS CROSS PLATFORM

You clearly did, right here:

:banghead:
You got me :lol:. I made a boo boo there

But what I am refering to is other developers are putting Ray Tracing , higher res textures and variable refresh rate in their games in multi platform.

Why would he include HZD2 in a rundown of games where he is uncertain if they will be cross gen or not?
It's an example of where it makes sense and has been considered - as are GOW(2) and GT7. In the individual case of HZD we know that it was considered and approved.

As he says, it makes sense to also consider GT7 (after all, it works for other racing games) and GOW(2) for cross-gen. There is no further evidence - there, or anywhere else - that they have gone ahead with those too... yet.

Here´s how I read his quote:
I read it as it was said, and then written. There's no sense in interpreting it.

All these outlets writing it as confirmed are wrong to do so (unless they have better confirmation than we do; we got the Hulst quote repeated verbatim) at this point, and that's cynical and misleading; it may turn out to be true, but right now we cannot say that it is - Hulst's quote is not a confirmation. Until we have something more definitive we're not going to mislead our audience.

I'm not going to bother anymore. Its pointless. I've told you over and over and over again that they will sell more copies of the game if its on pS4 too but somehow you are picking up that I am saying something different.I seriously can't see how its not guaratneed that it will sell more. I will try something different and if you still think I'm saying something different I give up.

Example B. They release it on PS^ and PS4. They sell 6 million coipies on PS5 and 2 - 3 million copies on PS5.

In example B They sold more copies than example A.
You are absolutely right, it is pointless if you can't even be bothered trying to back up your "facts".

Because if people who bought into the console that is selling at the fastest rate in the history of the industry aren't that interested in a game that shrouded as being a PS4 game years after the PS5 is a thing, they won't buy it. Just like that haven't for other games in the past, including Gran Turismo games.

That you continue to ignore that when it has happened in the past is really only your problem.

Why, yes, spending money to develop two things certainly costs more than to develop one thing. This is an argument that makes sense.

I said they will sell more copies of the game.
I suspect no one here is having any trouble understanding what you're saying, since most of the people responding to you have been here long enough to have heard it before. They are just noting that you keep insisting that install base is the only thing that drives sales, and that your arguments are the same ones that everyone parroted when Michael Denny accidentally said GT6 was coming to PS3 when it was assumed to be a PS4 game to that point because of it's release window.

upload_2021-6-3_12-19-40.png

upload_2021-6-3_12-18-49.png

How did that pan out, again? Worst selling title in the series, was it? And the PS4 was in the top 3 for fastest selling consoles of all time?

Huh.

Whats more Fascinating is you tried to attack me there when I didn't even mention the NVME drive :lol:

Interesting:
Also how are other developers managing to take full advantage of the PS5 NVME drive and yet make their games cross platform?
And what games would those be?

I see you operate with the level of believability and accountability as Jim Ryan does when he talks about how Sony believes in generations after Microsoft promised there to be crossgen games for two years and got controversy for it.

I'm not going to bother anymore. Its pointless. I've told you over and over and over again that they will sell more copies of the game if its on pS4 too but somehow you are picking up that I am saying something different.

Literally no one is confused by what you're saying; even when you say things and claim you didn't say them. They are pointing out that there's no reason to assume as you're doing that releasing a game as a crossgen title years after the followup system has been launched guarantees it will sell more.

I seriously can't see how its not guaratneed that it will sell more

Yes, that much is clear. Allow me to help:

In example B They sold more copies than example A.

Example B's numbers are nonsense. A PS5 game that sells 6 million copies as a PS5 exclusive game may not sell 6 million copies on PS5 if people perceive it to be a PS4 title when it comes out 2 years after the former has released. You have no basis to assume that it would, either.

Last edited:

In example B They sold more copies than example A. Hence its guaranteed they will sell more because people will buy it on PS5 and PS4.

I repeat people will buy the game on PS4 which means more sales are guaranteed.

I AM NOT SAYING ITS GUARANTEED TO SELL MORE COPIES THAN ANY OTHER GRAN TURISMO IF IT WAS CROSS PLATFORM

You got me :lol:. I made a boo boo there

But what I am refering to is other developers are putting Ray Tracing , higher res textures and variable refresh rate in their games in multi platform.
"I'm not going to bother." Continues to bother entirely.

I like how in the absence of evidence, you choose to just make things up to prove your point.

Latest Posts

Back