Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
"I'm not going to bother." Continues to bother entirely.

I like how in the absence of evidence, you choose to just make things up to prove your point.
I suppose you're right. If they brought it out on PS4 and PS4 nobody will buy it on PS4. How stupid of me for thinking so.

I backed up my facts multiple times
I mean, you've really avoided I think the vast majority of questions to you, especially the ones that specifically asked to produce some facts about what was said. Go on, though.

To be honest I don't see how this cross-gen thing could be implemented without hurting PS5 version significantly.

RT is impossible on PS4 so all the sexy car shots, like Porsche in the mirror container, have to be removed or altered significantly. As people mentioned above, we can forget about TOD and the dynamic weather. Also, VR support would be cut down. Not sure about physics and AI but I think this is something that not so heavy on the hardware so we might see improvements.

All SSD features will suffer greatly. Remember these nice tuning parts in full 3D with RT in the auto shop menu? Might be altered just to the ugly 2d images to make it run on PS4, just because it will be too much for HDD to load them instantly.

The more I think about it the scarier it gets. I hope Sony will reconsider this.

Yeah, if you're going to delete all your posts after they've already been quoted (after incessantly double-posting all day and ignoring notifications), you're very much wasting everyone's time.
Look I tried my best to explain things and all I got was attacks so yes I must have wasted everybodies time.

Look I tried my best to explain things and all I got was attacks so yes I must have wasted everybodies time.
I see people engaging with your points and arguments and discussing them with you. I don't see any attacks; disagreement isn't an attack.

Not doubting what you've received obviously @Famine but I kinda doubt Push Square would go with such a definitive headline if their Sony rep had only repeated the original quote as well.

Mind you, I still agree on not copying them here without getting your own confirmation. So I'm not really sure where I'm going with this post now I've got to this point....

But what I am refering to is other developers are putting Ray Tracing , higher res textures and variable refresh rate in their games in multi platform.
You're referring to something that is a completely different argument than you originally brought up which is also completely different from anything else anyone has said in this thread; and I'm going to have to assume did so deliberately when your "it's common sense lol" argument was met with ridicule. No one ever said it couldn't look better on PS5 even if it's a glorified PS4 game. The PS4 itself could always make games that looked good; even if it usually had to fake things to get 4K games on the PS4 Pro. But adding raytracing and 4K textures to PS4 games implies that the graphics output for that generation was the bottleneck, and other than the base XBone for really heavy games that rarely was the issue. Certainly not even in the timezone as it was for the PS360 generation.

Developers were complaining about Jaguar from basically Day 1. I remember someone early on in the system's life, perhaps Crytek, noting that the CPUs were worse than the ones they had worked with in the PS360; which probably isn't true in the grand scheme of things but is a sobering reminder that they were already handcuffed basically from the start in ways that have fundamental effects on how games are designed even after they learned the architecture. The PS5 and SeX completely fix that with a fully modern, near top of the line CPU; and in a way no PS4 port can ever take advantage of.
Game storage issues and load times have been a problem for so long that "crawl through the crevice so the game could load" was an internet meme for the PS4 generation that Sony even mocked in their PS5 presentations. The PS5 and SeX completely fix that too with a fully modern, legitimately top of the line SSD implementation (with the slight nod going to Sony in throughput) that the overwhelming majority of top tier gaming PCs don't even have, and in a way that no PS4 port can ever take advantage of.

You conspicuously avoided actually talking about these, instead making smartass "lol we got a game programmer here" and "how am I the only one with common sense" remarks when pressed on it before talking about things that are irrelevant. And the first one, especially, is something that will hurt a racing sim if it is tied down to a PS4 lowest common denominator.

Last edited:
Not doubting what you've received obviously @Famine but I kinda doubt Push Square would go with such a definitive headline if their Sony rep had only repeated the original quote as well.

Mind you, I still agree on not copying them here without getting your own confirmation. So I'm not really sure where I'm going with this post now I've got to this point....
Honestly, a load of sites went with "confirmed" in the first place, which was bad enough.

If PushSquare, who literally ran an article that asked if Sony lied about PS5 yesterday, got a different "confirmation" than we did, that concerns me. If they got the same one, they're no better than the people confirming it yesterday.

And it might come to pass. I even think it's likely to at this point. But I'm not running with it yet :lol:

You fundamentally wrong. SSD isnt just faster. It 100 times faster. Location that would load on PS4 for 3 seconds would load on PS5 instantly(if we consider faster RAM difference is even bigger).

Then, CPU is x8 times faster, which means that density of scenes would be MUCH higher. For example, instead of 1v1 race you could have 16 cars on starting grid.
Your just validating my point. More power, more speed. Just the same as a low end PC running Windows 10 and a really nice gaming PC running Windows 10. The gaming PC will run circles around around my PC but it still is a PC running Windows 10 with much better hardware and performance. Think about this. The PS5 runs most PS4 games with out the need for PS4 circuitry in the system like all other PlayStations before it. Therefore the PS5 has to be running the same operating system and architecture as the PS4 but with better motherboard, memory, CPU, hard drive, graphics card, etc. All just my opinion though and not trying to argue with anyone.

Good for those who needed confirmation, but Hermen said it outright yesterday. Don´t know why some thought there was some wiggle room for different interpretations.
Some people prefer to call it at the waterline rather than the act of sinking :boggled:

Your just validating my point. More power, more speed. Just the same as a low end PC running Windows 10 and a really nice gaming PC running Windows 10. The gaming PC will run circles around around my PC but it still is a PC running Windows 10 with much better hardware and performance. Think about this. The PS5 runs most PS4 games with out the need for PS4 circuitry in the system like all other PlayStations before it. Therefore the PS5 has to be running the same operating system and architecture as the PS4 but with better motherboard, memory, CPU, hard drive, graphics card, etc. All just my opinion though and not trying to argue with anyone.
The PS4 game compatability on PS5 is done through emulation. Just like you can emulate a PS1, PS2 or PS3 on your PC, that doesn't make those consoles and your PC similar architecturally, but through brute force and software the emulation becomes possible. Architecturally the PS5 is quite different to the PS4.

Last edited:
That really doesn't change the fact that the game will be developed for the PS4, already hindering it in a pretty significant way compared to it being a full fledged PS5 exclusive game.

Well then... I guess the "2 games per generation" "rule" remains true.

Does that mean GT8 will be the only other game on PS5 some 5+ years from now?... Or will there be a PS6 by then?

But we don't know yet if GT7's GT mode is good and proper. How can we be excited about it, we haven't seen it?

As someone who replayed GT5 and 6 recently the GT mode is worse than I remember, especially in GT6. There's no actual racing, just catching the car with a massive lead and AI drivers that brake as you pass them. I sure don't want that to come back at all, single player needs a major overhaul IMO.

Yeah, chase the rabbit race are plague in GTseries for over a decade now.
This is much better racing and with PS5 graphics that would be awesome to have! (albeit still heavily dependent on catch up system.)

To be honest I don't see how this cross-gen thing could be implemented without hurting PS5 version significantly.

RT is impossible on PS4 so all the sexy car shots, like Porsche in the mirror container, have to be removed or altered significantly. As people mentioned above, we can forget about TOD and the dynamic weather. Also, VR support would be cut down. Not sure about physics and AI but I think this is something that not so heavy on the hardware so we might see improvements.

All SSD features will suffer greatly. Remember these nice tuning parts in full 3D with RT in the auto shop menu? Might be altered just to the ugly 2d images to make it run on PS4, just because it will be too much for HDD to load them instantly.

The more I think about it the scarier it gets. I hope Sony will reconsider this.
Perhaps there will be two versions of the game. One for PS4 and one for PS5. They will just be able to race with each other in online events. PS5 version will have all that you want.

A game that exists on two generations doesn’t necessarily need to have the same features. If they had the same features it wouldn’t be cross-gen, it would just be a PS4 title.

I still belive full psvr2 support is possible on ps5

Perhaps there will be two versions of the game. One for PS4 and one for PS5. They will just be able to race with each other in online events. PS5 version will have all that you want.
There likely will be, and it's also likely that they'll be the same exact game with one looking a little prettier and running smoother. That's literally the only way it would be able to work together in an online environment.

A game that exists on two generations doesn’t necessarily need to have the same features. If they had the same features it wouldn’t be cross-gen, it would just be a PS4 title.
I mean, there's a lot of games on the market that seem to point to the opposite, no?

Last edited:
To be fair, TOD and dynamic weather would be possible on PS4 but just not at a locked 60 fps that GT Sport is.
Let's not forget that in the past PD settled with a higher 1080p resolution for no absolute reason and the frame rate was all over the place.

Last edited:
I don't think people are geuninely suggesting there won't be any differences, but if the only differences are graphics and loading times then the game is no doubt being held back by the PS4 version or game design that doesn't push/take advantage of the PS5 well enough.

A PS5 version of a game should have better graphics and loading times sure, but it should also have better physics, AI, level design etc.

Last edited:
I mean, ps5 can run ps4 games, so in theory ps5 version of gt7 doesn't have to be limited by ps4 version, after all you can run ps4 version on ps5, so you don't have to make ps5 and ps4 compatible in multiplayer. I feel that is too early to jump to conclusions, as we know almost nothing about gt7.
There likely will be, and it's also likely that they'll be the same exact game with one looking a little prettier and running smoother. That's literally the only way it would be able to work together in an online environment.
Or they can make two versions non compatible in online, and just suggest that if you wanna play on ps5 with ps4 players, you have to run ps4 version in backwards compatibility.

Last edited:
Because it's a possibility, and we're complaining so people realize that making GT7 a cross-gen title is absurd at this point.
My post was to those thinking GT7 won't be cross gen.
bit that keeps getting overlooked that basically says "hey, it's been considered". Until word officially comes down from the devs themselves on the matter, the kerfuffle going on here is just the Gran Turismo subforum doing it's thing
I am not a grammar god, but the examples like Horizon refer to the first part of the sentence. The cross gen part.

The consider part refers to games he didn't list.

I would bet my house on the blog post meaning GT7 will be cross gen. If it wasn't why didn't Sony clarify the information? That's something Sony does when something is false. Why even list GT7 together with Horizon? Why shouldn't the Head of PS studios know the same as the developers? Question after question.

Last edited:
I mean, ps5 can run ps4 games, so in theory ps5 version of gt7 doesn't have to be limited by ps4 version, after all you can run ps4 version on ps5, so you don't have to make ps5 and ps4 compatible in multiplayer. I feel that is too early to jump to conclusions, as we know almost nothing about gt7.
This honestly doesn't make much sense. The game isn't going to be developed for PS5 and pushed backwards, its going to be developed with the capabilities of the worse console in mind and move as much as they can, which likely wont be that big. It's less of jumping to conclusions and more so seeing how history has played out and how games are being made right now.

Or they can make two versions non compatible in online, and just suggest that if you wanna play on ps5 with ps4 players, you have to run ps4 version in backwards compatibility.
Don't think I've seen a game just toggle off/on a chunk of features and hardware capabilities just to work on a previous generation, have you? Every game coming out now doesn't work remotely close to that, so I wouldn't see why this would be the case. Also sounds like a complete shaft to the PS4 players as well at that point.

Last edited:
Back