Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
I see it the same way. And VR in particular has shown very clearly what it means when weaker hardware slows down the possibilities. Where would we be with a VR mode only for the PS4 Pro already? Of course fragmentation is difficult, especially within a console generation. But in the current discussion we're talking about two different generations, after all.

One aspect that hasn't been mentioned here yet is the freedom for creativity.

I have the impression that if the Gross Gen development really happens, PD is currently under so much pressure to make the game run on the PS4 that all the creative verve completely falls by the wayside. The whole team is certainly anything but happy about having to cancel so many visions. Unfortunately, PD has to bow to SONY.

Without the PSVR system, I would have completely ignored the PS4. Gran Turismo Sport is very reduced compared to the earlier parts. What remains is a great VR demo.
With Gran Turismo 7, something really groundbreaking should finally be created, without compromise!

this.

In all honesty, I would personally be willing to take concessions on better graphics and some of the other doo-dads in order to have full access to the game with VR. Online and everything. Gran Turismo Sport is still the most stunning visual sim game out there. Even if the full fat version of GT7 was only marginally better graphics-wise. It’ll still be stunning

this. In all honesty, I would personally be willing to take concessions on better graphics and some of the other doo-dads in order to have full access to the game with VR. Online and everything. Gran Turismo Sport is still the most stunning visual sim game out there. Even if the full fat version of GT7 was only marginally better graphics-wise. It’ll still be stunning
Ehhh I still think PD needs to work on environments. The car models are on point, but the environments are still lacking in my opinion (weather effects, foliage, vegetation, low res wall textures etc). Driveclub is the best looking racing game at least when it comes to environments and atmosphere.

Hopefully we get more footage this year.

Last edited:
Ehhh I still think PD needs to work on environments. The car models are on point, but the environments are still lacking in my opinion (weather effects, foliage, vegetation, low res wall textures etc). Driveclub is the best looking racing game at least when it comes to environments and atmosphere.

From the perspective of someone who isn’t super into the intricacies of these video games, but appreciated the finer things. I would prefer

better physics
A few more tracks
Better AI
Dynamic weather > Dynamic Time (how many people would do day-evening-night endurance races anyways?)
Bigger grids
Full vr access
Locked in 60FPS for PS5

I don’t really care about the stick figures and trees on the sides of the course. I’m not looking there anyways

I’ll be curious to see what concessions they make, if any

Last edited:
Time out. Remember this?
https://www.gtplanet.net/wet-weather-glitch-in-gt-sport-allows-rain-on-any-track/

If this is doable, GT7 wouldn't need weather transition. Every track can have a wet option.

Not sure if it'd be the same as PSVR for only one car(or two?). People that have that setup, rave about it. Yet, it's in the game. GTS already alienates players that do and don't have PSVR.
Wouldn't seem like a bad trade off for wet weather in Arcade Mode only.

Another thing are the grid sizes. 30 cars are already in Mission Challenge Stage 6. That could be limited to Arcade Mode as well. GT7 is supposed to contain more offline content. Most players play offline. Having weather and large grids should be doable for PS4 and PS5. Sport Mode just wouldn't use it, as that's the minority of players.

Now, how Simulation Mode works. If that encompasses Sport Mode/online play or a combination of GT League offline endurance racing with more realism(weather transition, track surface changes), I don't know.

Been a while since I've posted here.

I'd much rather a fully blown next gen GT, I think everyone would agree with that.

The difficulty is the time this game went into production. This would of been targeted as a PS4 game first and foremost. The PS5 would of been known but no way would the specs have been finalized or even a Dev kit to speak of.
You can't have the team sitting on their butts for a few not doing anything in until the system gets parts and kits locked. The Devs have to work.

I think GT7 will look brilliant on the PS5 because we know that PD have really high quality car models to fall back on. If the PS5 can run the best LOD model during gameplay then that alone will be a step up over the PS4 version.

You'll also get a higher res, frame rate, draw distance, texture quality, raytracing,
It also buys PD some extra Dev time to nail down GT8 in few years time. No doubt in the background they have proptype versions of the next gen game and it's features being tested and worked on by a smaller team.

As I said, it sucks, but it's understandable and the reality of when you start a game Vs when new hardware ships.

If GT6 had been able to be ported over to the PS4 at launch, no doubt it would of been the same situation last gen too.

Last edited:
A CPU with nearly all of its cores deep in the 70s or more for usage (and running at 80 degrees in the process) doesn't mean "They've got 20% more to extract!"
Spot on, and its that 80 degrees that's actually the key issue, the load on a CPU (as long as it's below 100% and has headroom) isn't going to limit you. The temp the damn thing is running at most certainly will, my agming laptop never gets its CPU temps that high, regardless of the load them are under!

The remaining 20-25% in this case is irrelevant, the temp alone is getting close to a thermal safety lockout for that CPU, and attempting to use that additional 20-25% will up that temp quickly. It does explain why both my PS4 and Pro fan's get so damn loud so often however.

Easy solution.

GT7 on PS4 is as GTS is now but with GT7 content.

GT7 on PS5 gets to add dynamic time of day and weather to demonstrate the power of the console.

Match the physics in Sport and Lobby modes for crossplay reasons and enhanced physics for none multiplayer modes on PS5.

Sony gets to sell the game to PS4 owners, promote the PS5 as a more powerful console and sell a significantly enhanced game to existing PS5 owners.
The end result of which would be a PR fall out of massive proportions. The majority of people do not read the fine print, Sony would showcase teh ga,e with the best features, people woudl then buy it for PS4 and complain that it doesn;t have Dynamic Weather and ToD and merry hell is raised on the internet and potential legal cases start to pile up.

A reason exists why both Sony and MS are being 100% sure that content parity exists between the current and last gen machines, just as they did with the mid-gen updates a few years back, and I'm quite sure it's not just to be nice!.

That's unless this all turns out to be a rather large miscommunication combined with the usual clickbate tactics of websites which people continually manage to forget happens. Frequently....
If it's a miss-communication then it's at Sony's door, they have been directly asked to clarify the situation (and I know for a fact that GTP has done that) and have declined to provide any further comment.

As such if confusion exists, it's because Sony have made a conscious choice to allow it to remain. They could have issued a very clear yes or no to GT7 coming to the PS4, they have been given the opportunity and they have chosen not to do so.

To all the nerds that know a lot more than me:

Would a PS4pro be capable of running a GT7 game that had 90% of the bells and whistles we all want...whilst, looking more like a standard PS4 graphic-wise during game play?
Potentially yes, the Pro could have delivered dynamic ToD and/or weather at the expense of 4K, it's tricky to know for sure, but is it conceivable? Absolutely.

This is where I'm going with this...

What if PD was able to make some good compromises in the features to make the game playable on a PS4pro, albeit with graphics that were a step down in quality from say...GTsport on PS4 pro (of course a standard ps4 could run the game too...but the graphics would look maybe more like what GTS looks like in VR...but better....you get the point).

They put PS4 Pro's on sale for even a bigger discount than they already are. MASSIVE DISCOUNT. Than people would have the choice to upgrade to a PS4 Pro for cheap, or spend up and buy a PS5. Or do nothing and still have a decent looking game.

I play GTS on a standard PS4. Game looks absolutely stunning! If I was budget minded, I would be willing to take a step down in graphics in order to play the latest and greatest.... with the option of upgrading to a console that could give me all the new stunning details down the road.

Is this even possible?
It's possible, but it undermines what is still one of the GT series main UPS's, and one that oddly people keep forgetting about. It's visual prowess, regardless of the platform its on.

A lot of people buy GT titles because they look good, because they allow a system to show off what it is capable of visually. It's always been a key UPS for the series, so for PD to release a title that would look worse than its predecessor on the same platform? I'm far from convinced that PD would want to even if Sony gave them the go-ahead to do so.

Last edited:

Drive club is hit n miss. I still think gtsport is better looking overall, both cars and level of environments.

Well I had to give my vote to the 'disappointed' category. I knew this was going to go this way and now I feel that the Gran Turismo 7 will be a bit of a 'disappointment'.

I shall say no more than that on here but now I have a console that has lots of lovely graphical improvements but no real games that I play other than the PS5 version of Genshin Impact.

Happy for all you PS4 players if you do get a chance to play GT7 on your consoles and my only 'hope' is that there is one more Gran Turismo title in the PS5 life cycle, I am most definitely not going through the new console process again!

The end result of which would be a PR fall out of massive proportions. The majority of people do not read the fine print, Sony would showcase teh ga,e with the best features, people woudl then buy it for PS4 and complain that it doesn;t have Dynamic Weather and ToD and merry hell is raised on the internet and potential legal cases start to pile up.

A reason exists why both Sony and MS are being 100% sure that content parity exists between the current and last gen machines, just as they did with the mid-gen updates a few years back, and I'm quite sure it's not just to be nice!.
There was official mandate from Sony to ensure PS4/PS4-pro that content must be the same on both systems. This was confirmed by publisher/developers separately if I recall. There it no such confirmation from one generation to another that has been published by Sony/Microsoft or any developer that I've seen.

Again. It is not difficult to state clearly PS5 only features.

There was official mandate from Sony to ensure PS4/PS4-pro that content must be the same on both systems. This was confirmed by publisher/developers separately if I recall. There it no such confirmation from one generation to another that has been published by Sony/Microsoft or any developer that I've seen.
A lack of confirmation doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The current actions of all parties involved in this would (if we apply Occam's Razer) strongly suggest that it being treated in exactly the same way indicates that the same mandate is in place.

Again. It is not difficult to state clearly PS5 only features.
No it's not, but getting people to read it and it being legal in all markets that the products are sold in are different matters.

As @Famine has already pointed out, we still get questions raised here at GTP that have been clearly stated and answered in regard to every GT title.

It's back to the old adage of 'just because you can doesn't mean you should'.

A lack of confirmation doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The current actions of all parties involved in this would (if we apply Occam's Razer) strongly suggest that it being treated in exactly the same way indicates that the same mandate is in place.
Don't you think Sony/Microsoft would publicly state such a thing, if only to reassure what are now previous gen machine owners?, as for other games, you'd inevitably get some form of confirmation of there being such a mandate if you asked in an interview.

I agree that Sony would be more likely to do that than not do that simply due to the numbers involved. 110-115 million users you don't want to get on the wrong side of. Microsoft, with a emphasis of backwards compatible maybe different.

snc
doubt it, mgs5 was late crossgen and ps4 72% sales, ps3 3% tough in 2015 ps4 sold 30 milion consoles and ps3 has 80 milion users
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...-finally-getting-left-behind/?sh=7f7ee78c397c

I like Kojima's work but I wouldnt put his stuff up as 'mainstream' as PD.

Be that as it may, I think GT8 will be a true PS5 title would put a dampener on GT7 being all that popular on PS5... assuming PS5 gets any sort of true mainstream availablility come.... 2023? 2024?

I like Kojima's work but I wouldnt put his stuff up as 'mainstream' as PD.

Be that as it may, I think GT8 will be a true PS5 title would put a dampener on GT7 being all that popular on PS5... assuming PS5 gets any sort of true mainstream availablility come.... 2023? 2024?
metal gear solid is one of most popular gaming frenchise, its not like gran turismo is as mainstream as fifa, cod or gta also

I'm constantly checking if they add the PS4 tag for GT7... and I noticed this. Looks like they're making some changes. Inconsistency in the code of the webpage? I get the same from different browsers.

PS5 tag a few days ago for GT7. Solid white box:
Schermata 2021-06-03 alle 09.39.07.png

PS5 tag now for GT7. Transparent box. "PS5" inside it is not even centered, it's ugly https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/gran-turismo-7/ :
Schermata 2021-06-10 alle 16.38.12.png

PS5/PS4 tags now for Horizon Forbidden West. Different from GT7's page, No boxes (a few days ago the PS5 tag was a white box, like GT7's, PS4 a blue box...I didn't take a screenshot, sorry) https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/horizon-forbidden-west/ :
Schermata 2021-06-10 alle 16.38.04.png

Last edited:
Don't really care, to be honest. I just want the actual A-spec racing to be improved. Racing has felt more like rubber-banded missions in these last two titles. I want GT7's AI to kick my ass, or try to at least!

Weird one eh,i remember how to add pics now.Here goes;

Screenshot_2021-06-10 Gran Turismo ™ 7.png

Interesting thread all the same,maybe they are updating the site or something.
I use firefox as edge doesnt seem to work properly for me.👍

Back