Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
@Jordan

Is it possible to have a filter function for the news section again like in the previous build? I'd love it if we could filter by game again because I think the news section is a bit taunting with all that you cover listed. Sometimes I only want to see news for a specific game or thing and a filter function for news would let people like me navigate quicker to the games they/we want to see instead of having to scroll down for a long time. Thanks.

@Jordan

Is it possible to have a filter function for the news section again like in the previous build? I'd love it if we could filter by game again because I think the news section is a bit taunting with all that you cover listed. Sometimes I only want to see news for a specific game or thing and a filter function for news would let people like me navigate quicker to the games they/we want to see instead of having to scroll down for a long time. Thanks.
Yes, you can still browse by category:

It'll be interesting if the PS4 IS different to the PS5 game. Since majority of GT players play offline, there's no way players would be alienated. The online portions of the game can carry on as usual.

In FIA, we don't see many wet weather races as it is. Not to say on PS5, wet weather wouldn't be a thing. Transitional conditions would make for epic strategic racing. I'm saying, for majority of racing, conditions are dry. Track suface temps and marbles, make up for any lack of wet conditions.
Whether physics are different between the two consoles(if there are two versions), I can't see PD bothering with that. At least one other thing comes to mind, the PS4 version would hark back to the two+ GT games per console.

I think we would have seen another GTS, if GT7 was a launch title. Maybe content added through updates again.

GT7 could be a great title. As long as the replayability is high. From past GTs, the core elements are: car customisation/tuning/racing modification and offline racing. Now, we have a more indepth livery editor, as part of the franchise and a steady online aspect of the series. Classic tracks and a form of real life wealth & car earning and race career progression, seem to be the other main aspects players want in GT7. This all, together, may make GT7 one of the greats.

There are 3 scenarios...

1. Both versions exist and PS4 does constrain PS5
2. Both versions exist but they're quite different and PS5 version won't suffer
3. Only PS5 version exists

1 would be a nightmare.
2 would still be bad enough because splitting the player base means... even less players to play with online, and any month working on a PS4 version is "wasted" time which could have been used for the PS5 version
3 would be great but at this point i'd be surprised if true
Aside from graphics, the biggest thing that would suffer from this cross gen BS they've been planning is the grid size. If PD was originally targeting a 50 cars grid size then they have to cut it down to 20-30 or even lower than that just to accommodate the PS4 version. For all the developers you'd want to develop multiple games at once PD should be the last dev on your list. I wish Mr. Yoshida still part of PD, he understands how PD operates, they will never reach their target 2022 release if this cross gen BS is true. The new head of Playstation is truly friggin wack

Last edited:
Friendly reminder to the people who are "Disappointed with PD": Its still NOT officially confirmed despite the very misleading thread title (Seriously? You're really gonna die on that hill?). Until there is official confirmation and not just a comment that someone ran away with, its NOT officially confirmed.

Last edited:
Friendly reminder to the people who are "Disappointed with PD": Its still NOT officially confirmed despite the very misleading thread title (Seriously? You're really gonna die on that hill?). Until there is official confirmation and not just a comment that someone ran away with, its NOT officially confirmed.
Well it's been over a month and neither Pushsquare nor Sony have retracted the statement. You would think by now Sony would have quietly told them to edit it, if that isn't what they really said.
"We've had word back from PlayStation PR, and it's official: God of War Ragnarok and Gran Turismo 7 are cross-gen games, meaning that they'll release on both PS5 and PS4.

This update was pretty much expected, but it's always good to receive confirmation from the source."

Last edited:
Well it's been over a month and neither Pushsquare nor Sony have retracted the statement. You would think by now Sony would have quietly told them to edit it, if that isn't what they really said.

"We've had word back from PlayStation PR, and it's official: God of War Ragnarok and Gran Turismo 7 are cross-gen games, meaning that they'll release on both PS5 and PS4.

This update was pretty much expected, but it's always good to receive confirmation from the source."
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/06/god_of_war_ragnarok_gran_turismo_7_ps4_versions_confirmed, just to back you up :) not that you need it,comes from the official ps blog,link is in the article below as well,a quote from hermen hulst head of playstation studio worldwide:"Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 — for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 — we’ll continue looking at that. And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them." straight from the man himself ontop of all the studios within playstation worldwide,if this doesn't say it all to you then i don't know what will!!! directed to racecar btw :)

You're right but they only have themselves to blame... such a statement doesn't come out of nowhere. Surely they have noticed us by now, and IF it wasn't coming they should have denied it already. Imagine if it ISN'T coming for PS4, it will suck for everyone who wanted it on PS4 too.

They should make a statement, if its coming or not. Can't be that hard. In one of the more recent videos from "PlayStation", called "PS5 Games - Stunning Visuals", there is GT Sport footage on it. Below it, it only says "in development for PlayStation".

No ****? Thought it was in development for Xbox... looks like they have just deleted the "5" in the end.

Rjo
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/06/god_of_war_ragnarok_gran_turismo_7_ps4_versions_confirmed, just to back you up :) not that you need it,comes from the official ps blog,link is in the article below as well,a quote from hermen hulst head of playstation studio worldwide:"Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 — for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 — we’ll continue looking at that. And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them." straight from the man himself ontop of all the studios within playstation worldwide,if this doesn't say it all to you then i don't know what will!!! directed to racecar btw :)
Could you go back to the start of the thread and read it from there, because this is literally the subject of this thread. We're all well aware of it, and it is absolutely not explicit.

I really don’t see them making two fundamentally different games. That would not only split the player base but also leaving them to develop and constantly update/patch two different games, splitting their resources as well
The playerbase will almost definitely be split... if its the grid size, physics or the weather effects not being capable of running on the PS4. Sure, maybe there will be toned down lobbies. But do we really want that? Again fixed time and weather?

The playerbase will almost definitely be split... if its the grid size, physics or the weather effects not being capable of running on the PS4. Sure, maybe there will be toned down lobbies. But do we really want that? Again fixed time and weather?
Time will tell for sure,look at it this way ,stack the jaguar cpu against the zen 2 cpu and you know your up for a gargantuan task of making it run and look equally on both,any conversion/port is going to make some sacrifices,so gt 7 on ps5 is also coming to ps4,but i wonder what will it take and how much will they have cut to make it acceptable and playable just like on ps5???🤔

This news frustrated me a lot. GT7 was my motivation to get a PS5. Today I'm not even excited to play GT7 anymore. Of course I'm going to play GT7, but I'm not as excited as I got with each next-gen GT version. The PS4 limits the resources (dynamic weather), and the physics of the GT7. If it's for the PS4, graphically it won't be that different from GT Sport, it will just have more content.

Last edited:
Interesting to check the Sony website and it still says it's PS5 only.

I thought this situation would be clear by now. Makes you wonder if there's some, behind the scenes disagreements that are stopping them confirming it just yet..
I was thinking about this. Either they don't know what to do (release it on ps4 or not), or waiting for a special occasion to officially announce it. Maybe even when we'll get the blowout of info about GT7.

om graphics, the biggest thing that would suffer from this cross gen BS they've been planning is the grid size. If PD was originally targeting a 50 cars grid size then they have to cut it down to 20-30 or even lower than that just to accommodate the PS4 version.
Emmm nope? For example Wreckfest have different Grid sizes depending on which version you are running PS4 or PS5?
Same with RIDE 4.

Emmm nope? For example Wreckfest have different Grid sizes depending on which version you are running PS4 or PS5?
Same with RIDE 4.
I'm mostly talking about the multiplayer side of things. If both games are going to be cross gen then the PS5 version of Sport mode will suffer too. Do you think the PS4 version can handle 30+ cars online?

I'm mostly talking about the multiplayer side of things. If both games are going to be cross gen then the PS5 version of Sport mode will suffer too. Do you think the PS4 version can handle 30+ cars online?
If the current game doesn't support 30+ cars, doubt we'll see it for GT7 online.
PD still haven't filled the remaining positions for the 24 car grid.

If the current game doesn't support 30+ cars, doubt we'll see it for GT7 online.
PD still haven't filled the remaining positions for the 24 car grid.
There is one Challenge with 32 car grid in GT Sport. It worked pretty well to be honest. I think with some optimizations it could be possible to achive stable performance on PS4 with that big grid.

There is one Challenge with 32 car grid in GT Sport. It worked pretty well to be honest. I think with some optimizations it could be possible to achive stable performance on PS4 with that big grid.
It's the only 30 car grid in GT Mission 6/8. Offline can definitely be done. It's the ONline grid that is the problem.

Big problem because private lobbies are still P2P

If that continues on to GT7, I wouldn't have much hope for significantly increased grid sizes in the online portion of the game

Read this!

PSB: How does PS4 factor into PlayStation Studios’ development vision? Is it still a focus internally for future game development?

Hermen: It very much is. You can’t build a community of over 110 million PS4 owners and then just walk away from it, right? I think that’d be bad news for fans of PS4, and frankly not very good business.

Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 — for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 — we’ll continue looking at that. And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them.

That being said, it’s also very important to have showpieces for PS5, hence the development of Returnal and Ratchet that are exclusive to PS5.

Read this!

PSB: How does PS4 factor into PlayStation Studios’ development vision? Is it still a focus internally for future game development?

Hermen: It very much is. You can’t build a community of over 110 million PS4 owners and then just walk away from it, right? I think that’d be bad news for fans of PS4, and frankly not very good business.

Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 — for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 — we’ll continue looking at that. And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them.

That being said, it’s also very important to have showpieces for PS5, hence the development of Returnal and Ratchet that are exclusive to PS5.
Still doesn’t confirm nor deny anything for me with regards to GT7. It says they would be looking into future titles and if they could bring them to both consoles they would. But to me it doesn’t state anything concrete other than it’s something they’re looking into.

Back