Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,090 comments
Does anyone else have a whole subsection of their garage devoted to "pedestrian" cars for use in custom races? I have multiple versions of:

R53 Mini Cooper
Suzuki Swift
Toyota Crown
Toyota Hi-Ace Ambulance
VW Polo

Each one is gimped down (via racing transmission) to a slightly different, sub 80mph speed such that they will spread out nicely on one of the Tokyo circuits and provide an approximation of road traffic. I've tried and tried to combine this with a Shutoku-style grid of actual racers, but the AI is incapable of passing slow traffic consistently. So instead I'll just make time-limit races with just the ped cars and me and enjoy the ambiance.
I am working right now something similiar...a 15 car Silvia Sisters grid(all on 533PP, but with quite different tuning ways to get there) with five extra cars: an overpowered police car(650PP), an engine swapped Beat(on par with the Silvias, that guy that shows up to races without beeing invited ;)), a Toyota Alphard and a Toyota Tundra(around 490PP) and the Ambulance...

I will report more, when I am really happy with it...but it's already one of my favorite custom grids...not for realistic sim racing, more for lots of arcade-ish fun...

I am working right now something similiar...a 15 car Silvia Sisters grid(all on 533PP, but with quite different tuning ways to get there) with five extra cars: an overpowered police car(650PP), an engine swapped Beat(on par with the Silvias, that guy that shows up to races without beeing invited ;)), a Toyota Alphard and a Toyota Tundra(around 490PP) and the Ambulance...

I will report more, when I am really happy with it...but it's already one of my favorite custom grids...not for realistic sim racing, more for lots of arcade-ish fun...
I did one with the following:

485hp FC3S RX-7 on SH tires
240hp EK9 Civic Type R on SS tires
320hp 993 RS with big downforce on SH tires

+ my field of ped cars

The idea was it was kind of like a battle between the bosses of 3 teams, because they have such different approaches to going fast. Its a bummer that AI cars will always default to the original tires, because that eliminates some of the variability you could introduce into custom races. I played with the setups a LOT to get the 993 and FC3S to have basically the same lap times on Tokyo Central (with me driving), and then I tuned the EK9 to be a few seconds slower knowing I would be faster than the AI on hard. I managed to get a few minutes of really fun battles going, but it would inevitably end when one of the fast AI cars either crashed into or just stopped behind one of the traffic cars. I saved a pretty good replay which I'll eventually edit into a little short film.

Only the race settings I’ve deleted.

Had a fun 24/1H Nurb24 GT4. Tyre wear at 10x. First to pit from 3rd place with 23 minutes to go. Next lap rest of the AI pit except P3 & 4. Caught up them as they were struggling on worn tyres. Crossing the line they pit with 4 minutes to go. I’m 13 seconds ahead and the Boost Patrol start chopping the lead exponentially. P2 holds station at .5 seconds. Surprisingly no weather change. However, the temps were low at 10.9 degrees(9:30 am race start) and 8.2 degrees at 2:33 am with a high of 16.4 degrees at 15:14. So by the Nürburgring temperature graph(below) the race most likely took place in September. ;). I enjoyed the race.
IMG_3885.jpeg

Depending on the circuit. My one hour GT4 races are from 383,000-497,900.
IMG_3887.png
IMG_3888.png

As per above, one hour of Seaside is 431,000.

The weird thing is some of the short tracks like Tsukuba are 497,900 and a longer track like Barcelona are 431,000. Speaking of Barcelona, the non-chicane is 497,900.

Haven’t checked to see if bigger payout are due to number of turns, length or how many laps are completed in that one hour. I’m having fun though. More unpredictable outcomes with my finishing position. Cool stuff.

I’ve been building a similar grid. What cars did you use?
Road cars:
Lamborghini Murci
Corvette Z06 or ZR1 (can't remember the exact model name)

Gr3s:
Aston Martin DBR9 GT1
Nissan GTR GT3 2013 and 2018
Ford GT Spec II and Test Cars

The liveries are not 100% as I made some one myself and used a smattering of the community's gallery. It's enough to 'feel' real for me. Great fun!

Since a week I am experiencing a different aspect of custom races. Tired of this IA that is waiting for you then speed up when you a re close... and me being 1st after two laps on a 30 laps race without any suspens at the end... I did a few experimentations and I have recovered fun with custom races.

For example my settings for Le Mans GR2:
Game in Pro mode (the three spices)
LAPS: 13
IA: Proffesional
Slipstream: Weak
Boost: STRONG
starting grid: I place myself at P18 on a grid of 20 cars.
Same cars to everybody.
First I set the weather with a soft or medium rain for one period the rest with random. It force the IA to start with Intermediate tyres but then surprisedly it will pick soft Race when rain ends... finally or any adapted tyres (remember I chose random weather for the other period, that brings more challenge).
Then other option like mechanical damage on Strong and other realistic aspect too...
gas: x4
Tyres: x5

Then I chose the Grid will be with same car as mine. (stock version and no modification)
BOP is not activated to permit before the race to reduce my personal car settings, again just before the race (and not in the lobby) so the IA car won't be affected) by reducing the Power ECU output to 85 instead of 100. Because if your car is turned already when creating the race, when you pick up SAME CAR from Garage option, that will select same car with same running... which you don't want! So when the race start my car has 85% power when IA has 100%.
Once the race start everyone is Intermediate tyres, after a fews laps depending random weather, then the in and out process form the pits roll out with Soft race tyres on to everybody.. and or repairing damages. Then it is a really hard race, with late cars driving faster (with the boost) to come back to the main pack, and you challenging leader pack since the rubber band effect seems to not affect the IA anymore (due to your Power settings ECU).

After 13 laps at Le Mans with this setting, I usually finish 1st with less than a sec or 2nd or 3rd, and a big pack at less than 2 sec behind me. For this results a competitive and perfect race has to be done. No accident, no strategy mistakes are allowed to walk on the podium. Lot of stress and sweating every time and maximum fun ! but again with this setting, you have to fight to access podium!

Edit: I have redone this settings for track Fuji, but with 38 laps. I still had to fight like a warrior to get P2 with only 1 sec from the leader and mostly a pack of 6 cars behind me within 2 sec behind. Multiple takeovers during the race, and maximum fun.

Last edited:
Just set up completely stock Fairlady z’s on laguna seca, after entering race, I restrictor my power to 85. I almost got 1st place, maybe half a car length away from grabbing first place.

My review of the race… pretty boring. It was basically chase the rabbit, passing one car at a time and if it wasn’t that then it was passing three to four cars in one corner. Believe it or not, that passing was on the left handed up the hill which then leads to the corkscrew. They take that corner incredibly slow.

My trans am custom race is a lot more fun, but it only lasts about 5-6 laps. I put the boss 429 in second last place. Through traffic, we were neck and neck, as soon as he got out front with nobody to hood him up, it was game over. Gaining about 2-3 seconds a lap.

So much work to try and get a decent single player pack race. I have more fun logging into a lobby with one other friend and racing 1v1. At least it’s racing and not follow the leader and pass. Moving pylons essentially. Moving concrete pylons. Lol

At least my trans am race is a lot of fun for the first 5 laps.
IMG_7021.jpeg

Last edited:
I haven’t played in the past month, so maybe this is just rust, but I thought I drove this pretty well and was pleased to see no podium and two tight packs (GS and TCR classes) by the end of my 12-lapper:

IMG_5207.jpeg

Gr.4s run this track well. A little more dialing-in needed for TCR (“user” tunes) but should have a shareable grid soon for Michelin Pilot Challenge.

I'd say you're not rusty. I've been running all types of races. In my GT4 grid I've only won twice out of six races. 15 minute to one hour. 12-13x tyre wear. Tough races with the top AI not pitting until 40 minutes in! I could only get 20 minutes out of whatever side is totally red.

Started a new S-FR Cup and didn't win the two races(finished 16th and 13th) I ran at The Glen. 15 minutes each with 1x tyre/fuel. I started a 40 minute event at Road Atlanta with 8x fuel and 12x tyres. Ran for 18 minutes and I only moved up four positions. Quit so I can finish building four more cars. That race is going to be good.

Last edited:
It’s all in the corners. I have my Camaro trans am tune and Challenger matched almost perfectly now. 1:38:700’s

I did a 1v1, 3 lap race. I took the Camaro as I have them tuned to comfort soft, so I didn’t want the AI in my Camaro resorting back to with comfort mediums. First half of the lap. FUN! We get to the hard left up the hill which leads to the cork screw, gained like 2 seconds. Also gained again on the second last corner, those two corners add up fast over 3 laps. This was on professional.

It’s really too bad they can’t fix that. Have the AI take corners more realistically, aka better and faster in the corners. It would eliminate all the tweaking and having to run the tune you like but on crappier tires.

I’m not kidding, the half a lap up to that point had me thinking I stumbled across the perfect settings. Oh well. Onto the Boss 429 now to get it running against those two.

I know the challenger comes in at a lower pp but it’s the exact same horsepower and weight as the Camaro but it has more torque I since tweaked the gearing and ran a 1:38:600 with it, but I think I’ve ran that in the Camaro too.

IMG_7029.jpeg

Last edited:
I couldn't find any replica of an Alpine A210 from 1967 (I was quite surprised TBH) to complete my 1967 Le Mans 24h grid, so I did it by myself. I'm a total novice and a bit allergic to photo editing software, so I did what I could :

Goodwood Motor Circuit_.jpeg

Goodwood Motor Circuit__1.jpeg

Goodwood Motor Circuit__2.jpeg

All of them except the #55 Alpine M64, #45 #46 #47 #48 #49 #56 and #56. I shared them with the tags : lemans / a210 / 1967. I've left them open to modification because I'm not totally convinced by the result. Have fun !

Edit : Well.. I clearly forgot to turn the numbers at the back of the cars, and the purple of #48 is too dark. Damn!

Edit 2 : FIXED (Hope i broke nothing for no one, resub and reapply)

Last edited:
Hey, everyone. I’ve been toiling away on my custom career, but I have struggles with discipline - I simply cannot work as much as I need to, unless I’m under pressure, in which case, I put my head down and grind it out. So, with that in mind, while I’ve been making progress on the career, it hasn’t been fast enough, so I am going to announce a release date.

30th May, 2024.

It will come out then, no ifs, ands, or buts. I put my account on it. Sounds extreme but it’s what I need to get moving.

Over a thousand races, including GT4 style manufacturer races, prioritising quality over quantity. Missions. Time trials. FIA style motorsport license tests, which are part of your journey in the career, and they unlock the next leg of the career. They’re not time trials, but rather championships in which your finishing position determines if you obtain the license grade.

Classic GT style progression, with a few twists to give a new take on the formula.

“Quick Play” to jump in with less set up, letting the game auto-generate the grid, and only your car needs to meet the event regulations/parameters (except for group race car events, in which setting the category to that specific group, and the game will fill the grid with that category of car), or “Custom Play”, where you set up the AI cars for the event, as well.

I hope people will enjoy it. @pritchyTim has been amazing with their feedback and encouragement, helping refine and brainstorm ideas as it has progressed.

The main career post will delve into everything, it’s a project almost 18 months in the making, aiming to plug a hole left by PD’s new approach which didn’t hit the same as classic games.

A big thanks to this thread and everyone who has contributed, also, for their ideas for a number of race events (used with permission), as well as figuring out the best setup for competitive racing against the AI.

Last edited:
Back