Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,163 comments
This was the result of my 40 min. race.
1658835371939.png

Six M3 Evos are 655, four 155s at 627, ten M3s at 629. All cars on RH, with Racing brakes & pads. My car is same tune as the AI.

My group had a fight from the start and into darkness. AI was going wide for me to pass. I did and the AI stayed on my tail. The Eau Rouge drop made a 4-5 second gap for a few laps, but as dawn was coming, the AI clawed back to 1.5 seconds. I watched the P9 gap grow from 31 seconds to 45 seconds. P1 was over 1 minute ahead.
I started two Alfas in 7th & 8th. Put the other two down in 13th & 14th. They finished 13th and 18th. I started 16th.

The races remind of PC2 with not worrying about winning. Just racing in a pack trying to maintain a position or make up one spot. So far, my best class of cars racing close together, the Touring Car Masters build. Powerful, on edge, fast and loud. I only have ABS on, but the AI get all the aids to control the cars. Meaning, I have to be precise in changing direction and more careful with the throttle and braking distances. Good stuff.

The DTM cars are next with good racing. Classic Group 5 builds are okay, but when that Skyline Silhouette comes, I’m afraid they won’t be able to compete. I think I’ll have to make that a One Make.
MINI Challenge ‘05 is good. Still working on the TCR class. There’s racing, but not as exciting as other classes. Don’t know what’s going on there.
Super Taikyu is Super Taikyu. Multiple classes with each group battling in their respective classes.
Im also trying classic Gran Turismo with six bone stock cars. The Muscle & Pony cars, ‘90s JDM machines and my favourite, The Tuning Car Grand Prix from GT4(wish we had the FPV Falcon GT and F6). Good stuff.

Okay this is my new favorite thing. 🤣 Highly recommend giving this a go. If you want a challenge, put SM tires on your car. If you want a chance at winning, use SS. For comparison, I just ran a couple 2 lap races with me and 4 AI cars (only liveries I have done so far) just so I could get a photo of them together. In the first race I started last on SM tires and there was no chance I was getting any higher than 3rd. Switched to SS tires and managed to pull out a win but there was amazing racing for both laps. Good side by side battles with the AI. Can't wait to flesh out the field with a full set of liveries and try some longer races.

My specs: 127hp, 2072 lbs, Sport tires (SM or SS)
AI specs: 139hp, 2072 lbs, Racing Hard tire, downforce 50/150 (middle mark)
Body parts are - Wide, Front B, Side B, Rear A, Wing B

Here's a quick video of the 2-lap race on SS tires:

View attachment 1176882

I have a 20 car fleet of Miata’s. I see your specs, thank you for those. I’m just wondering if there are any upgrades or tunes on them or literally what is posted above? One of mine has a Praino tune on it so I would obviously need to rein that one in. Thanks!!!

I have a 20 car fleet of Miata’s. I see your specs, thank you for those. I’m just wondering if there are any upgrades or tunes on them or literally what is posted above? One of mine has a Praino tune on it so I would obviously need to rein that one in. Thanks!!!
All of the cars are set to:

Height: 100/100
Anti-Roll: 8/10
Compression: 38/38
Expansion: 48/50
Spring Rate: 2.70/2.70
Camber: 1.5/2.0
Toe: 0.15 Out / 0.20 In
Downforce: 50/150

Stock differential

Tuning Parts:
  • Sport ECU
  • Sport Filter
  • Sport Muffler
  • Sport Pads
  • Sport Rotors
  • Sport Clutch
  • High Lift Camshaft
  • Increase Body Rigidity
  • Racing Manifold
  • Fully Customizable Suspension
  • Brake Balance Controller (probably not needed)
  • Racing Hard Tire
My car does not have the high lift camshaft or ECU, has racing brake pads and some slightly different downforce settings. SM or SS tires.

Last edited:
All of the cars are set to:

Height: 100/100
Anti-Roll: 8/10
Compression: 38/38
Expansion: 48/50
Spring Rate: 2.70/2.70
Camber: 1.5/2.0
Toe: 0.15 Out / 0.20 In
Downforce: 50/150

Stock differential

Tuning Parts:
  • Sport ECU
  • Sport Filter
  • Sport Muffler
  • Sport Pads
  • Sport Rotors
  • Sport Clutch
  • High Lift Camshaft
  • Increase Body Rigidity
  • Racing Manifold
  • Fully Customizable Suspension
  • Brake Balance Controller (probably not needed)
  • Racing Hard Tire
My car does not have the high lift camshaft or ECU, has racing brake pads and some slightly different downforce settings. SM or SS tires.
Wow. Excellent information thank you! It seems you spent some money on each one. I’m going to slowly upgrade my fleet. I started doing a fleet of Porsches for the Porsche super cup but man it gets old just grinding for money. At least I already have all the Miata’s.

Wow. Excellent information thank you! It seems you spent some money on each one. I’m going to slowly upgrade my fleet. I started doing a fleet of Porsches for the Porsche super cup but man it gets old just grinding for money. At least I already have all the Miata’s.
Most of the parts are inexpensive. And once you buy the body parts once, they are free for every car after. I have around 12 million credits and it's going down very slowly.

Most of the parts are inexpensive. And once you buy the body parts once, they are free for every car after. I have around 12 million credits and it's going down very slowly.

So I looked. I have 20 of the touring roadsters, all with liveries, 10 with Pra’s tunes. So I’m going to finish the other 10 with pra’s tune and then try your setting for up etc and see what happens.

So I looked. I have 20 of the touring roadsters, all with liveries, 10 with Pra’s tunes. So I’m going to finish the other 10 with pra’s tune and then try your setting for up etc and see what happens.
You could probably skip the body rigidity and brake controller to save 13,500 credits. The suspension and tires being the most expensive after that, the rest are cheap.

Last edited:
I think I have about 9 or 10 cars done with final liveries. So far I've flipped through 12 pages of liveries looking for ones with potential. Depending on how good the base livery is, it can take as little as 15 minutes or as much as an hour to convert it for my use. I also find myself cleaning things up that the original creator missed or just didn't bother to fix or do. (Like maxing the angle on stickers that go around edges so that colors underneath don't bleed through)

Anyway, ran one 20 minute race tonight before shutting off the system. Started 20th and made my way up to 5th at the finish. Once I get everything set where I think its good, I'm going to do my own little championship series tracking points, etc.

20970444123038841.jpg

I just discovered Super Turbo Thailand so my next mission is recreating/adapting that line-up to a custom race.

From the sounds of it, Custom Races are more "balanced" (for lack of a better word) if AI has better tires and a bigger PP. Anyone got a good range? 25pp above the player, 50pp? Just let the tyre difference sort itself out?

I just discovered Super Turbo Thailand so my next mission is recreating/adapting that line-up to a custom race.

From the sounds of it, Custom Races are more "balanced" (for lack of a better word) if AI has better tires and a bigger PP. Anyone got a good range? 25pp above the player, 50pp? Just let the tyre difference sort itself out?
For my 600pp races, I am at 618pp on SS tires and most opponents are in the 630-640pp range on RH tires. For the Miatas posted above, I'm around 480pp I think on SM or SS tires, AI are at 515pp on RH.

Not a bad idea but sounds like a lot of work. Let me know your results! I swear that the AI's keep pace with me somehow, it seems hen I run fast laps, so do they, when I run slow laps, so do they.. Not sure if that's just my mind playing tricks or not. I haven't taken the time to study the AI lap times versus mine.
Ive noticed an odd A1 thing - it started when i did a custom race - 10 laps with x 15 fuel to spice things up giving the smaller engine cars a chance against the big gas guzzlers - after a few laps i noticed that quite a few cars were going round the track about 30 mph for the rest of the race - after a few races i eventually caught what was happening as a car in front of me ran out of fuel & very nicely slowed to a stop on the grass verge at the side of the track only then to restart & rejoin the track finishing the race in limp mode - best way i can describe it - odd

For my 600pp races, I am at 618pp on SS tires and most opponents are in the 630-640pp range on RH tires. For the Miatas posted above, I'm around 480pp I think on SM or SS tires, AI are at 515pp on RH.

How do you set the AI to be on different tires and/or have a higher PP?

How do you set the AI to be on different tires and/or have a higher PP?
You need to select cars from your garage that you have tuned to be that way. Keep in mind the tires are buggy, any racing slicks installed will default to racing hard, and any tires lower than that will default to the stock tire that comes on the car.

Depends on cars as well.One Make races, I use identical cars to the AI and still have competitive races. I stick with RH tyres for series that use slicks. The cars are also set up identically (suspension, gearing, downforce if any).

For a series with varying cars, like GT4, Muscle car series, , PP range varies from +/-0.whatever. I have similar suspension and top speed gearing.
I get as close to GR.4 aero settings as possible and use the default suspension, weight, power as close to a similar car(Alpine A110 with Cayman specs).
Keep in mind AI use all aids. I just use ABS and manual gears on a DS4.

Not suggesting watching the whole video, but I get close racing with the AI every race. These cars are within 1-3 PP.

Last edited:
Did some more testing tonight to see if I could make this Miata thing the best it can be. Went through all of these scenarios with a single AI car that I just ran duplicates of in the races: (5 laps at Watkins Glen)

1658984528906.png

The numbers are my finishing position (starting 20th for all races), the total time of the lead car and his top speed before braking for the bus stop on lap 2. After all of this, I settled on #7. Seems to produce the best racing all around. My goal was to give the AI a bit more cornering speed and reduce the amount they pulled away from me on the straightaways. With these settings, I did a standing start 5 lap race at Red Bull Ring starting 10th, lost 3 spots on the first lap, then clawed my way back to 8th at the finish still 10 seconds behind the leader. It's definitely not easy. The key here is to know the AI's quirks, which corners they are slow in, and adjust accordingly. Some tracks I would avoid (Bathurst, Laguna Seca) because they are just too slow in some parts of those circuits.

Here's a 5 lap race at Watkins Glen to show what the racing is like.

What do you mean?! According to the new Update?! I‘m still at work so don’t know if you just confirmed my dream coming alive 😅
:D
9.Custom Race / Lobby
- ‘Load Settings’ and ‘Save Settings’ functions have been added to the settings screen in Custom Race and Lobby modes. Up to 50 settings can be saved for each of the Custom Race and Lobby modes.
 ・Load Settings
  - When loading settings from a different track, in Custom Race mode all settings except for the track, weather and time (both preset and custom weather) will be loaded. In Lobby mode all settings will be loaded.
  - When using ‘Rival Selection’ > ‘Select from Garage’ in ‘Rival Settings’, if the car saved in the race settings no longer exists in the Garage, it wil be replaced by the car the player is currently driving.
 ・Save Settings
  - As well as being able to save settings, it is possible to ‘Overwrite’ and ‘Delete’ previous settings from the new save button.
  - Settings may be named using up to 32 characters.
  - The save screen can also be accessed from ‘Lobby’ > ‘Quick Menu’ > ‘Race Settings’.
  - The ‘Ghosting During Race’ option under ‘Custom Race’ > ‘Penalty Settings’ has now been removed.

Did some more testing tonight to see if I could make this Miata thing the best it can be. Went through all of these scenarios with a single AI car that I just ran duplicates of in the races: (5 laps at Watkins Glen)

View attachment 1177540

The numbers are my finishing position (starting 20th for all races), the total time of the lead car and his top speed before braking for the bus stop on lap 2. After all of this, I settled on #7. Seems to produce the best racing all around. My goal was to give the AI a bit more cornering speed and reduce the amount they pulled away from me on the straightaways. With these settings, I did a standing start 5 lap race at Red Bull Ring starting 10th, lost 3 spots on the first lap, then clawed my way back to 8th at the finish still 10 seconds behind the leader. It's definitely not easy. The key here is to know the AI's quirks, which corners they are slow in, and adjust accordingly. Some tracks I would avoid (Bathurst, Laguna Seca) because they are just too slow in some parts of those circuits.

Here's a 5 lap race at Watkins Glen to show what the racing is like.

Great video. I can tell you are a tiny bit faster in some corners. An idea might be to adjust the ai suspension to be better than your own.

I‘m going to upload a Video later of an outstanding Race I was having in my GT3 Custom Race Championship.
Why do I say outstanding?!
Because I tried to replicate the outcome and it was possible.
For some reason the best and most competitive Track to race on against the AI is Fuji.
I didn’t encounter a single unnecessary Braking in Corners.
It’s unbelievable but the AI Drive 100% like you would expect them.
On all of the other Tracks you have 1 or 2 Corners/Track Sections where the AI doesn’t go flat out and like @R1600Turbo mentioned you can still have some good Competition.
But Fuji is absolutely Unique in that regard.
I tried it with GT3, GT4 and Road Cars and the AI was able to drive perfectly believable and extremely Competitive.
I highly suggest you Guys to check it out on your own.
I‘m curious and baffled why it’s just Fuji that supports that level of AI Ability.

Great video. I can tell you are a tiny bit faster in some corners. An idea might be to adjust the ai suspension to be better than your own.
They are not great at the bus stop. A bit slow coming out of the last corner too. I just lift a little early and try to predict their next move. Sometimes they nail it and other times they hit the brakes for no reason. Just how it is.

has xmas arrived early ?
9.Custom Race / Lobby
- ‘Load Settings’ and ‘Save Settings’ functions have been added to the settings screen in Custom Race and Lobby modes. Up to 50 settings can be saved for each of the Custom Race and Lobby modes.
 ・Load Settings
  - When loading settings from a different track, in Custom Race mode all settings except for the track, weather and time (both preset and custom weather) will be loaded. In Lobby mode all settings will be loaded.
  - When using ‘Rival Selection’ > ‘Select from Garage’ in ‘Rival Settings’, if the car saved in the race settings no longer exists in the Garage, it wil be replaced by the car the player is currently driving.
 ・Save Settings
  - As well as being able to save settings, it is possible to ‘Overwrite’ and ‘Delete’ previous settings from the new save button.
  - Settings may be named using up to 32 characters.
  - The save screen can also be accessed from ‘Lobby’ > ‘Quick Menu’ > ‘Race Settings’.
  - The ‘Ghosting During Race’ option under ‘Custom Race’ > ‘Penalty Settings’ has now been removed.

Santa Claus GIF by Mexico Indie

Saved the first three races of my Touring Car Masters championship. If you load one track settings to a different track, it just adjusts those settings. It should load the track you saved, not just the settings. Weird thinking, PD.

I am so pleased with the ability to save custom races. I can't wait to finish work and try it out. I assume it works as well as we hope. Does anyone know if the prizes have been increased for them at all?

Back