Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,140 comments
Back when they patched Circuit Experiences to actually be worth something, I bought 10 SF19s with the hopes of creating some custom races with the F1 grid - unfortunately the lack of settings savings made this far too time consuming to have been worth it!

But those days are gone, thankfully, and I now have a 10 strong grid of "F1" cars tuned in performance order; with Williams having their power restriction at 90 for example, whereas Ferrari and Red Bull run at 100 - the rest are scaled between.
Settings saving let me keep the grid names and rough grid order, and it's a lot of fun setting it up at random tracks and seeing how they do. I run in a Williams with an extra 10% ECU deficit so that I don't destroy them all in a straight line.

Performance order means there's always some form of battling, though the AI are still of course quite bad and are afraid of overtaking, which is a bit of a shame but you still see battles crop up every now and then, primarily in the first few laps (lap 1 is always a good one). Some pictures below, all of AI.

View attachment 1178180

View attachment 1178182
View attachment 1178183
That looks fantastic! I’ve been getting into custom race more and while it’s not perfect, Boost Weak definitely keeps the field together more and overall it’s more fun. Would be great if they’d let us use the Maggiore AI, maybe even turn up the wick on that as well, pace, aggression and awareness, that would be pretty good I reckon.

I made a 1 hour race with custom weather and 20 custom cars. But, I'm now experiencing freezing during the race. Not a full freeze and crash, but a couple times a lap the game freezes for a second or so. Has this happened with anyone else?
Happened to me when I had replays saved that took up too much space in my PS5. I deleted them and it seemed to improve. A few weeks later it came back and was solved after an accidental uninstall. I reinstalled and never had the issue again. Even with large replays saved.

If you do uninstall. Make sure all of your saved items are shared to the cloud, or you will lose them for good.

Last edited:
I made a 1 hour race with custom weather and 20 custom cars. But, I'm now experiencing freezing during the race. Not a full freeze and crash, but a couple times a lap the game freezes for a second or so. Has this happened with anyone else?
Yes. Not just Custom Races. It happens for a second, when track conditions are being updated during a wet to dry state. Such as WTC 700 la Sarthe.

Yeah, there sometimes are stutters when the game is updating the shadows and weather conditions in fast time races.

Yeah, there sometimes are stutters when the game is updating the shadows and weather conditions in fast time races.

Ahh okay, true. Fast time might be an issue. That's easily resolved but I hope they can make it smoother sometime soon!

Honestly since we have figured out how to get better races with the AI, I'm excited to get home from work and play every day. This update is the cherry on top.
may I ask you exactly how? What do you really do?
I tried setting the boost on weak and while it did help I still won. Anything else?

may I ask you exactly how? What do you really do?
I tried setting the boost on weak and while it did help I still won. Anything else?
Check the previous page or two. I outlined the specs I'm using. Basic run down is use a lower spec tire on your car, and make the AI 30-50pp higher.

Other games have race customisation. It’s about time PD at least get this part of solo play correct. Sure, PD should be doing a better job with the events they create. The whole MTX thing and drip feeding is troublesome for those that want what they want.
People can spend hours playing the way PD want and people can spend hours playing the way they want. I’m spending the hours playing the way I want.

Last edited:
So as I understand it, the winning formula to a good custom race is to pick a flowing track, pick all similar(ish) cars, give the AI a slight PP and tire advantage, boost weak.

Sound about right?

Last edited:
So as I understand it, the winning formula to a hood custom race is to pick a flowing track, pick all similar(ish) cars, give the AI a slight PP and tire advantage, boost weak.

Sound about right?
You can also run a one make with your favourite race car. Set default 2 laps, 10th place starting position, Grid or rolling start, tyre/fuel 1x, AI PRO, Boost Weak. You’ll see how quick the AI are.
Depends what type of cars you prefer to use. You can run identical set up as the AI: tyre compound, brakes and PP.

Race from last night. Started P2. Stock settings, same as the other four AI Skylines(PP 728.15). No trickery of any kind. The Pantera is at PP 737(and it shows). AI following, keep me honest. I’m redlining and pushing. AI not backing off. Then, I get the AI bump at T1 and went too deep at the final corners.

So far, I have (for my Miata series at least) come to the conclusion that the following circuits are no good for racing AI:
  • Laguna Seca (slow in T6 and up hill to corkscrew)
  • Dragon Trail Gardens (slow in T2-3-4, all over the place through T6-11, really slow in the last corner)
These are okay for racing but there are some places where the AI are slow:
  • Bathurst (slow out of T1, hit the brakes at T9-10 Sulman Park)
  • Autopolis (slow out of T1, through T12)
  • Brands Hatch (weird lines for basically the whole circuit, always trying to correct slides)
  • Dragon Trail Seaside (slow in T6, exiting chicane)
These are great for racing:
  • Fuji Speedway
  • Kyoto Driving Park - Miyabi
  • Blue Moon Bay - Infield A
  • Willow Springs (big track, but I get way over powered here)
  • Interlagos
  • Catalunya
  • Red Bull Ring (somewhat slow through T3)
  • Tokyo Expressway - South Clockwise
  • Tsukuba Circuit (slow through T5 under bridge)
  • Maggiore West (kind of slow out of the last corner)
Will update this list as I go along. Again, racing was good with what I was using. Your experience may vary.

1659170148966.png

Last edited:
So far, I have (for my Miata series at least) come to the conclusion that the following circuits are no good for racing AI:
  • Dragon Trail Gardens (slow in T2-3-4, all over the place through T6-11, really slow in the last corner)
  • Brands Hatch (weird lines for basically the whole circuit, always trying to correct slides)
  • Fuji Speedway
  • Interlagos
  • Catalunya
Will update this list as I go along. Again, racing was good with what I was using. Your experience may vary.

View attachment 1178562

Nice mate, thanks for collating and posting.

I have a question: if i want to do a race that starts with dry conditions and finishes with rain do i have to buy wet tires for every car?

• Fuji Speedway
  • Interlagos
  • Catalunya

View attachment 1178562

Thank you sir for all your work!! Fantastic info!!

I was looking at making the 1999 JGTC since we have the Pennzoil GT-R, Castrol TOM's Supra and it's possible to use the Diablo and Viper to fill the grid, even though they're just road cars and fuel economy will be way low than the rest, but the lack of a proper NSX is putting me off. I could use the 08' version, but it won't look right! :lol:

Making the 2008 SuperGT is no problem. I guess I can say the same for the 2009 season, since we also have the Aston Martin DBR9.

It's quite expensive though. To make the whole series we need 13 million. That's why I'm thinking if I should start with the 2008 or the 2016 season.

Do you guys know if there's many differences between the years 2014-2016 in the series? Because if not, I only need to buy the cars once and then I have the option to make liveries from 3 different seasons.

Here's a 5 lap video of a test race from last night at Maggiore West where I was on SM tires. Only managed to go from 20th to 15th. AI were good here, no brake stabbing or big slow downs. Looking forward to doing a longer race here.

In your opinion what are good cars to pair with the Miata roadsters? I was thinking civic touring cars and 89’ M3’s with some mods?

Ladies and gentleman, it is with great pleasure that I announce the 2008 Autobacs Super GT Series :cheers:

XfNliO6.jpg

76gErKj.jpg

Xh0IG5u.jpg

8Z6nAU3.jpg
0aTU6DY.jpg

i5uIvuN.jpg

Some notes:
- All cars are stock. AI is set to hard. No changes to the suspension, LSD, aero or transmission. The AI can be quite competitive with these cars, even though they're still only using 95% of the throttle. To circumvent this, I'm trying to find a sweet spot for my car, removing just a very tiny bit of power, so my 100% throttle can simulate the AI. It's a shame, but it is what it is.

- I tested 2 of those cars in Sardegna with Racing Hard. Unfortunately, this means that those 2 especific cars don't race with Racing Mediums (the deafult from Brand Central) even if my tune sheet has them with this tire. I bought sports medium and leave the sheet with it, but no good. It's always reverting back to Racing Hard. So my options are buying another car or buying Racing Hard for the whole grid. So far I only did 15-lap races, so I don't know which type of tire is the best for this custom series. We will see.

- Speaking of tires, @Nuschel01 unfortunately your advice is no longer true. I remember doing a custom race at Red Bull Ring with rain on the last part and I remember seeing the AI getting out of the pits with wet tires. Well, this no longer seems to be the case. Maybe 1.19 changed something?

I did 3 tests: 1 - Rain on start; 2 - Rain at the last part of the race and 3 - rain in the middle part. In all cases the AI kept running with Racing Medium. Even at race 2 and 3 where they had to pit, they still came out with RMs. Guess I do have to buy Inters and Wet tires for all of them now. I don't mind doing it, but... it's quite expensive for 16 cars! :P

- The AI can commit mistakes. In Suzuka I saw one of them braking way too late on the Hairpin, going very wide in the exit:
EFBcEFb.jpg

In Fuji, the leader of the race lost control at the penultimate lap! Watching the replay, he hit the gas way to hard, swerved to the right, tried to regain control by turning left but then it was too late:
IKoaNs8.jpg

Lastly, but not least:
PD, WHEN TWIN RING MOTEGI?! :lol:

Did my first 40 minute points race with the Miata's. I started with a 20 minute qualifying race with them in a random order, then reversed the finishing positions to set the first points race grid. So I started 13th, and usually on the starts because of my lower specs I get passed by a car or two. Unfortunately right at the start this happened:

So I had to climb from last up through the field and finished 6th. I used SS tires here. I think I will do this whole series on SS and if I find it too easy in the end I will re-do it on SM and see how that goes. Anyway, all races from here on out I will set the grid by reverse order of the previous race finish. 10 races to go.

Last edited:
Ladies and gentleman, it is with great pleasure that I announce the 2008 Autobacs Super GT Series :cheers:

XfNliO6.jpg

76gErKj.jpg

Xh0IG5u.jpg

8Z6nAU3.jpg
0aTU6DY.jpg

i5uIvuN.jpg

Some notes:
- All cars are stock. AI is set to hard. No changes to the suspension, LSD, aero or transmission. The AI can be quite competitive with these cars, even though they're still only using 95% of the throttle. To circumvent this, I'm trying to find a sweet spot for my car, removing just a very tiny bit of power, so my 100% throttle can simulate the AI. It's a shame, but it is what it is.

- I tested 2 of those cars in Sardegna with Racing Hard. Unfortunately, this means that those 2 especific cars don't race with Racing Mediums (the deafult from Brand Central) even if my tune sheet has them with this tire. I bought sports medium and leave the sheet with it, but no good. It's always reverting back to Racing Hard. So my options are buying another car or buying Racing Hard for the whole grid. So far I only did 15-lap races, so I don't know which type of tire is the best for this custom series. We will see.

- Speaking of tires, @Nuschel01 unfortunately your advice is no longer true. I remember doing a custom race at Red Bull Ring with rain on the last part and I remember seeing the AI getting out of the pits with wet tires. Well, this no longer seems to be the case. Maybe 1.19 changed something?

I did 3 tests: 1 - Rain on start; 2 - Rain at the last part of the race and 3 - rain in the middle part. In all cases the AI kept running with Racing Medium. Even at race 2 and 3 where they had to pit, they still came out with RMs. Guess I do have to buy Inters and Wet tires for all of them now. I don't mind doing it, but... it's quite expensive for 16 cars! :P

- The AI can commit mistakes. In Suzuka I saw one of them braking way too late on the Hairpin, going very wide in the exit:
EFBcEFb.jpg

In Fuji, the leader of the race lost control at the penultimate lap! Watching the replay, he hit the gas way to hard, swerved to the right, tried to regain control by turning left but then it was too late:
IKoaNs8.jpg

Lastly, but not least:
PD, WHEN TWIN RING MOTEGI?! :lol:
This is... Beautiful

Back