Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,210 comments
I only watched the first five minutes but I must be missing something, all I see is typical slow GT rubberband AI. They're boosted coming out of corners and pull away in a straight line, but they're poor in the corners. What's new? There are several occasions where you get a far better exit but they still pull away, or a point where they brake on an apex yet somehow you still can't catch them. Either boost is crazy, or you're running a massively underpowered car. You also don't seem to be driving that hard.

So yeah, when does the amazing racing experience start?
If that’s your opinion than be it so.
I completely disagree with almost EVERYTHING you say you have seen.
The only Point I must agree is the Fact that I actually use an underpowered Car.
Unfortunately that’s one of the only ways to equal or negotiate the Fact that under equal Settings the AI is no Match for an average Joe like me.
But everything else is just Nonsense.
Especially the Fact saying I don’t seem to be driving hard, that one is good.
But anyway if that’s what you see, ok.

You know I have talked to People in my Job who I caught stealing Things in a Shopping-Center.
I found the Robbed Goods in their Bags and confronted them, and guess what, they all refused to agree that I just caught them Stealing.
To me you’re not different to the Thief.

But I’d happily accept a Friend Request from you, so you can teach me how to race hard.
Maybe you’re an Expert and I can learn something from you.
At least that’s what I think when you make such Statements.

If that’s your opinion than be it so.
I completely disagree with almost EVERYTHING you say you have seen.
The only Point I must agree is the Fact that I actually use an underpowered Car.
Unfortunately that’s one of the only ways to equal or negotiate the Fact that under equal Settings the AI is no Match for an average Joe like me.
But everything else is just Nonsense.
Especially the Fact saying I don’t seem to be driving hard, that one is good.
But anyway if that’s what you see, ok.
That's what I factually saw of the AI behaviour, it's not an opinion, other than of your driving.

Do the AI pull away from you out of corners despite your better corner exits, yes or no?
Are they faster than you in a straight line, yes or no?
Do they go slower in corners allowing you to catch up, yes or no?

You don't seem to be able to refute any of it, just a blanket "disagree". It doesn't work like that. It either happened or it didn't.

I asked you to show me the amazing part. You didn't manage that in all this waffle.

So try again, give me the timestamps to what I'm clearly missing. I don't have 30 minutes to spare watching a random GT video.
You know I have talked to People in my Job who I caught stealing Things in a Shopping-Center.
I found the Robbed Goods in their Bags and confronted them, and guess what, they all refused to agree that I just caught them Stealing.
To me you’re not different to the Thief.
What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

But I’d happily accept a Friend Request from you, so you can teach me how to race hard.
Maybe you’re an Expert and I can learn something from you.
At least that’s what I think when you make such Statements.
Is your ego that fragile, because I insinuated you might not have been pushing that hard, that your only thought is to challenge me to a race?

I love how this guy doesn't even own the game and argues about its mechanics with people who do own it. Straight-up trolling.
I bet he thinks the boost mechanic adds rubberbanding when in reality it just stops car's from slowing down /

I love how this guy doesn't even own the game and argues about its mechanics with people who do own it. Straight-up trolling.
I bet he thinks the boost mechanic adds rubberbanding when in reality it just stops car's from slowing down /
He posted a video. I watched some of it and commented on it. That isn't trolling. Are you going to have a go at refuting what I believed I saw, or just personal attacks as well?

I know exactly what boost does, it's in the manual and it's the same as the past few games.
Boost
Set the strength of the boost function, which allows for a closer contest by increasing the speed of cars trailing behind.
You do realise that includes the AI cars, right? Not just the player.

He also confirmed what I suspected, but didn't know for certain, that his car was slower than the AIs. That's important information when judging AI videos. Without knowing for sure, it's hard to decide if I'm seeing rubberbanding/boosting or it's just a slower car.

Terrible AI is one of the primary reasons I've not bought this yet, so I'm always hoping to find evidence that it can be good. This isn't it, IMO.

Last edited:
He posted a video. I watched some of it and commented on it. That isn't trolling. Are you going to have a go at refuting what I believed I saw, or just personal attacks as well?

I know exactly what boost does, it's in the manual and it's the same as the past few games.

He also confirmed what I suspected, but didn't know for certain, that his car was slower than the AIs. That's important information when judging AI videos. Without knowing for sure, it's hard to decide if I'm seeing rubberbanding/boosting or it's just a slower car.

Terrible AI is one of the primary reasons I've not bought this yet, so I'm always hoping to find evidence that it can be good. This isn't it, IMO.
I think you are correct, but maybe not 100% of the time the things happen exactly the same, as you can see from different people's observations. With regards to driving level, it is an eye opener when you think you have done a great lap in a world wide time trial online, only to find out you are 3.5s off the pace. And to be honest only 1 of 6 people in the competition can go that fast. Most are slower again...

So the point is, for some people with lower skill levels, the AI is fine, but for others, it is very bad. But also even myself, never get exactly the same result depending on the cars being used. I can fully understand why faster drivers will find custom race a bit hopeless....

Amazing racing experience? Maybe once in a while...

Last edited:
That's what I factually saw of the AI behaviour, it's not an opinion, other than of your driving.
Of course it is your opinion, on both of it, if that’s what YOU factually saw.
Do the AI pull away from you out of corners despite your better corner exits, yes or no?
Are they faster than you in a straight line, yes or no?
Do they go slower in corners allowing you to catch up, yes or no?
I don’t have better Corner Exits. So no.
They are not faster in a straight Line, we‘re equally fast. Actually especially that point depends on a better Corner Exit which Like I said I don’t clearly have. So no again.
Some Of them Cars MUST go slower than me in Corners due to their bigger Weight.
That’s Physics you know. So More No than yes.
You don't seem to be able to refute any of it, just a blanket "disagree". It doesn't work like that. It either happened or it didn't.
If I would feel the need to refute anything I said I wouldn’t have said what I said in first place. And I certainly don’t feel the urge to argue with you about Facts which you simply ignore,Twist and put together in a completely wrong Context.
Like I said it’s YOUR opinion.

I asked you to show me the amazing part. You didn't manage that in all this waffle.
To be honest YOUR Nonsense doesn’t impress me either so let’s keep the waffle even, although I give this point to you as your insubstantial twisted Comments are quite amazing.
I don't have 30 minutes to spare watching a random GT video.
Then you maybe shouldn’t consider commenting on a Video which is meant to be watched for 30 Minutes as you’re undoubtedly clearly completely missing the point, and therefore babbling confusing Statements.
Looks to me like the Type of Dude judging a Movie by its Intro or some sort of Food by the first Bite without even willing to discover and objectively reflect both Sides of the Story.
Very small sighted and biased.
Is your ego that fragile, because I insinuated you might not have been pushing that hard, that your only thought is to challenge me to a race?
Again a prime Example how nonsensical your Argumentation is.
Where did I Challenge you?!
I kindly asked you to give me a Friend Request and teach me how to race hard.
Because you know, if someone actually makes such Statements, than I’m considering you to know what you’re talking about.
Unfortunately I was wrong because your Response clearly shows me who’s Ego actually and truly IS FRAGILE.
Certainly not mine.
Very weird assumptions you’re making.
Read the Facts and don’t bake yourself a Story together.

Edit: Maybe you should first read the Book completely before judging it.
And a small tip before I drop the Mic, maybe you should firstly OWN it 😉

Last edited:
Of course it is your opinion, on both of it, if that’s what YOU factually saw.
My opinion of facts? No. Facts are facts. It's what happens.
I don’t have better Corner Exits. So no.
Really? At several points you clearly do, 2:54 for instance you clearly get on the power quicker than the Merc,

Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 06-32-20 Gran Turismo 7_20220719172345.png

Then it pulls away from you.

Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 06-33-15 Gran Turismo 7_20220719172345.png

They are not faster in a straight Line, we‘re equally fast. Actually especially that point depends on a better Corner Exit which Like I said I don’t clearly have. So no again.
Really? Here is you getting a better corner exit at the last turn and getting almost on the bumper of the Merc

Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 06-25-06 Gran Turismo 7_20220719172345.png

Now here is you further behind just before the braking point for T1, despite even getting the benefit of slipstream. If that's not better straight line speed, I'm not sure how else you explain it.
Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 06-25-28 Gran Turismo 7_20220719172345.png

Then here you are behind the Mustang which brakes on the kink, you don't.

Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 06-21-39 Gran Turismo 7_20220719172345.png

You close up

Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 06-24-08 Gran Turismo 7_20220719172345.png

Then it still pulls slightly away just before the braking point.

Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 06-23-29 Gran Turismo 7_20220719172345.png

But you still pass it into the next turn because it slows down too much.
Some Of them Cars MUST go slower than me in Corners due to their bigger Weight.
That’s Physics you know. So More No than yes.
Weight is not the only factor in cornering speed.
If I would feel the need to refute anything I said I wouldn’t have said what I said in first place. And I certainly don’t feel the urge to argue with you about Facts which you simply ignore,Twist and put together in a completely wrong Context.
Like I said it’s YOUR opinion.

To be honest YOUR Nonsense doesn’t impress me either so let’s keep the waffle even, although I give this point to you as your insubstantial twisted Comments are quite amazing.

Then you maybe shouldn’t consider commenting on a Video which is meant to be watched for 30 Minutes as you’re undoubtedly clearly completely missing the point, and therefore stating confusing Statements.
Looks to me like the Type of Dude judging a Movie by its Intro or some sort of Food by the first Bite without even willing to discover and objectively reflect and discovering both Sides of the Story.
Very small sighted and biased.
I've watched nearly 25% of the video and saw no "amazing racing", only the typical GT AI behaviour. What are the chances something suddenly changes? But like I said by all means if it does, give me the timestamps. You've failed to do so, so far.
Again a prime Example how nonsensical your Argumentation is.
Where did I Challenge you?!
I kindly asked you to give me a Friend Request and teach me how to race hard.
Because you know, if someone actually makes such Statements, than I’m considering you to know what you’re talking about.
Unfortunately I was wrong because your Response clearly shows me who’s Ego actually and truly IS FRAGILE.
Certainly not mine.
Very weird assumptions you’re making.
Read the Facts and don’t bake yourself a Story together.
How is my ego affected by anything, I've not made a video. I know what I'm talking about because I have functioning eyeballs and can see what is happening in your video, as per above.

It's the same old GT behaviour. The AI have faster cars than you, but because of their poor cornering ability and tendency to brake when not needed, you're still able to overcome them. They don't fight you, they're not particularly aware of you. If they were competent in the corners, you've had no chance.
Edit: Maybe you should first read the Book completely before judging it.
And a small tip before I drop the Mic, maybe you should firstly OWN it 😉
So with that logic you can't pass comment on any video of anything unless you've done it yourself. That's going to strongly affect usage of the internet....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 06-22-37 Gran Turismo 7_20220719172345.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 06-22-37 Gran Turismo 7_20220719172345.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 8
To be honest I find it quite depressing we have to go through all these hoops and setups with boosting all the AI cars, reducing our own car, and setting up the event parameters just so we have a race that "feels" good, which I don't think it really is to be honest, it feels fake.

GT6 to me is the worst game in the series as it stands because the AI was so poor you'd have to drop about 150pp below the recommended level just so you can have a somewhat decent race, but it's still just catching AI in corners as they brake 50m earlier than they need to and trundle through them before powering off. Custom races where we have to adjust all of the cars to imitate that feel the same to me as GT6, it's just fake racing.

All they would have to do for me is allow us to disable slowdown and actually use full throttle - the AI can have good pace, we saw that at the Maggiore endurance, but they're seldom allowed to operate at that level even if we want them to, which is what a custom race should be for.

Last edited:
To be honest I find it quite depressing we have to go through all these hoops and setups with boosting all the AI cars, reducing our own car, and setting up the event parameters just so we have a race that "feels" good, which I don't think it really is to be honest, it feels fake.

GT6 to me is the worst game in the series as it stands because the AI was so poor you'd have to drop about 150pp below the recommended level just so you can have a somewhat decent race, but it's still just catching AI in corners as they brake 50m earlier than they need to and trundle through them before powering off. Custom races where we have to adjust all of the cars to imitate that feel the same to me as GT6, it's just fake racing.

All they would have to do for me is allow us to disable slowdown and actually use full throttle - the AI can have good pace, we saw that at the Maggiore endurance, but they're seldom allowed to operate at that level even if we want them to, which is what a custom race should be for.
So very true....

Oddly, the AI are slower with Boost Strong than Boost Weak. The only thing I can think of is that Strong boost is stronger, but activates when a car is further back compared to Boost Weak. Weak keeps them pretty close in a one-make race, not side-by-side, but closer than no boost. Not ideal, obviously, would be great to have better AI that we didn’t have to help with boost.

They should just add a forth difficulty option called “World Class” or “Elite” and absolutely whack up all the sliders. Give them legitimately elite pace, disable braking mid-corner, have them brake later and harder - I don’t think this is impossible given that PD can make fast AI - the Maggiore endurance and some GT6 seasonals where the AI leader would go berserk once you overtook them and stick to your rear like glue.

I wasn’t and am not the fastest driver but I could close the 30-40 second gap so for them to suddenly be right up my trumpet meant they must’ve gotten faster once I’d passed them.

We have the chilli icons. All they need to do, is activate them all. It’s a slider. Default should be Boost Weak= Three 🌶 . Bump it down to two and one for beginners and up it to 4 and 5 for more of a challenge.

Again, they put these features in the game and execute poorly.

We have the chilli icons. All they need to do, is activate them all. It’s a slider. Default should be Boost Weak= Three 🌶 . Bump it down to two and one for beginners and up it to 4 and 5 for more of a challenge.

Again, they put these features in the game and execute poorly.
Hey there. I haven’t had the time to watch the latest Videos you posted yesterday but I‘ll take a closer look at them as soon as I find some time to do so.
Lots of argy bargy going on at my Work.

Referring to your post, I agree that it probably would be the more convenient, more easy and relaxed way to set up the AI, no doubt.
But I don’t know if the racing would be better.
From my Experience the 3,4 or 5 Chilli Pepper Races are not that much harder compared to what you actually can set up in Custom Mode too.
At least not for me.
On the other Side, I noticed that the AI is way more aggressive and tends to wreck and push you off track more frequent.
Something which is completely inappropriate in my opinion and can be avoided with the correct Settings in Custom Mode.
For me it’s always Fair Play First.
Then comes the Competitive Aspect.

I don’t know exactly which Algorithm PD uses to structure their Chili Pepper Races.
We will never get to know what Car Settings/Parts are installed or what it actually is that makes the AI behave, drive and keep their Pace they do.
So it’s a bit of a Mystery but I highly doubt that it’s actual increased AI Level.
The Cars seem to just be way more capable than your Car that is allowed to enter the Races/Race Restrictions.

That’s why I personally prefer the Custom Race Mode to the Chilli Pepper Races which are not bad by any means but they are simply not modifiable.

Custom Races on the other Hand can be set EXACTLY to ones likings.

But, as always to each his own.

Trollguy: you don't own the game and thus make assumptions that are troll-level bad because you are wrong. The fact you use the definition of a boost to explain to m how boost works is a prime example of how you don't have the game, because that's not how boost works. You don't get a speed boost from boost. What boost does is it stops the car's from slowing down after reaching a certain distance away from the player and stops them from slowing down when the lead car gets a certain point away from them. During endurance races people report the cars slow down dramatically after a certain point. That trigger point, as I have researched, is a percentage of the total distance of the race. Once the car passes that distance there is code telling cars to slow down, boost turns this off or at the least, make that parameter much broader. This code also activates once a car falls too far / ahead of the player, boost seems to turn this feature off. There is never a point where the cars are granted an unnatural speed boost, the cars have ALL assist on and they can accelerate faster in a straight line. I have never once had a car in a custom race pass me at a speed not capable by the car, this only happens in the career. But since troll guy knows better than people who have the game, troll guy wins.

Hey troll, does the game also feature cone's on the apex? the game has a toggle option for cone markers, it literally says "cones" but we players who have played the game have seen there are actually yellow markers. Why does GT sport say BOP applies to everyone in the race when it doesn't since the 5th update? Why does BOP in GT7 allow you to adjust the bop on the fly for ALL AI when it says it locks it?

Also for nontrolls who do own the game. You can get competitive races by making a grid that has a small time spread and with a boost on all the way, when the pack is tight the slowpoke mode never kicks on. Arcade mode has boost on all the way too and the car's don't seem to give up either .

Proof: wipe a car out and get out of there ASAP, he will never set a fast time again . Or set one opponent and stay at the starting line, he will drive fast until he reaches the slowdown threshold which is usually a full lap, even if you catch up he won't speed back up.. it's almost as if there is no rubber banding, just a parameter that triggers slowpoke mode.

Last edited:
Eg there is never a point where the cars are granted an unnatural speed boost
I've seen cars accelerate out of turns going ...158-159-160-171-172...
And in longer races the AI suddenly sets FLs around 4 seconds faster than I do at tracks like Monza or Kyoto; and without a flex I'm a decently fast A+ driver :scared:

Doesn't change the fact that the guy you quoted is a troll tho :lol:

Last edited:
Did a few more 30 minute races tonight, adjusting here and there to try and make the AI a bit closer. I seem to always have a group of cars that take off and finish way ahead, and then a few in the back that are really slow and sometimes end up going a lap down. So I adjusted those slow cars to speed them up and it didn't seem to work. So after a race at Nurburgring GP (120ft rolling start) where I finished 5th about 10 second behind the leaders, I inverted that finishing order and did a standing start at Laguna Seca. The fast cars that started at the rear went nowhere, and even fell way back. The slow cars I started at the front, pretty much stayed there...

Which leads me to believe that they're all programed to do a certain thing and that having them all close in PP won't change this. I'm also making a list of my findings at each circuit where the AI are slow for no reason what so ever. Like, why do they brake in the kink at Nurb GP? Why are they slow in the kink after the bridge at Laguna? Why do they slam the brakes coming out of the bus stop at Watkins Glen? I find them pretty capable for most of the lap but in the strangest places they slow down too much. Which makes a good race where I can barely pass anyone, into a not so good race where I can pass several cars in one go because they slow too much in a single corner.

I'll post up the Laguna race in full tomorrow.

Did a few more 30 minute races tonight, adjusting here and there to try and make the AI a bit closer. I seem to always have a group of cars that take off and finish way ahead, and then a few in the back that are really slow and sometimes end up going a lap down. So I adjusted those slow cars to speed them up and it didn't seem to work. So after a race at Nurburgring GP (120ft rolling start) where I finished 5th about 10 second behind the leaders, I inverted that finishing order and did a standing start at Laguna Seca. The fast cars that started at the rear went nowhere, and even fell way back. The slow cars I started at the front, pretty much stayed there...

Which leads me to believe that they're all programed to do a certain thing and that having them all close in PP won't change this. I'm also making a list of my findings at each circuit where the AI are slow for no reason what so ever. Like, why do they brake in the kink at Nurb GP? Why are they slow in the kink after the bridge at Laguna? Why do they slam the brakes coming out of the bus stop at Watkins Glen? I find them pretty capable for most of the lap but in the strangest places they slow down too much. Which makes a good race where I can barely pass anyone, into a not so good race where I can pass several cars in one go because they slow too much in a single corner.

I'll post up the Laguna race in full tomorrow.
Stop using PP, Use power to weight and then use PP . The power to weight should be within .2
Then look at 0-60 time , should all be within a quarter of a second.
Once you have this PP should be within 50 pp.
If you have two groups that group is falling behind the leader of group 1 by a predetermined margain . You have to do testing on a small scale as well. 4 cars at a time , all finish one lap within a second . Identify power tracks and turn downforce down to zero , Give the AI the best stopping power and clutch / flywheels while not giving yourself that.
The AI doesnt seem to need downforce , it just slows them down .

Downforce defintely slows them down,. One of my Challengers have maximum downforce and it lagged behind. Another factor are the final drive gears. Depends on cars as well, but with my Pony cars, I adjusted both Callengers to the Boss 429 3:91 and that changed their acceleration.

I just race flat out(as much as I can with 707BHP), as well as the AI. They have benefit of all the aids, while I only have ABS functioning. I use the Boss 429s because I love them. Yet, they’re the lowest PP at 649. I don’t know why these three particular cars are that low. All the other cars on the grid are 684.10-684.80. They all have around the same BHP/weight(660BHP-714/1300kg-1400). Suspension set ups vary with some cars having stiffer ARB. Same spring rates and camber. A couple have front and/or rear downforce. Similar gearing.

Every race, from lights out to the finish line, I’m trying to control all that power. It’s pure scary fun.

Why doesn’t custom races have the ability to select mandatory pit stops, or mandatory/useable tyres?
Some times I want to practice different strategies for the GTWS or daily races, but you can’t replicate this as the AI just run there own program. What annoys me most is that when you do your mandatory pits stop the lead car then slows down to allow you to catch up.
The AI has to be one of the worst features on this game

Why doesn’t custom races have the ability to select mandatory pit stops, or mandatory/useable tyres?
Some times I want to practice different strategies for the GTWS or daily races, but you can’t replicate this as the AI just run there own program. What annoys me most is that when you do your mandatory pits stop the lead car then slows down to allow you to catch up.
The AI has to be one of the worst features on this game
Yeah, it’s why I don’t select over 1x for fuel. Love that mandatory pit stop feature in Project Cars 2.

Sadly I don't think we will ever get good Endurance races using custom race due to whatever rubberbanding it triggers . Stick to sprint races.

Testing some of the race cars from Gran Turismo 2. Figuring where the R30 will slot in. A few replicas are added, as we’re just not going to get(Maybe the GT300 FD). All replicas spec’d as per GT2 and real world figures. The Delta HF and Evo IV rally cars are spot on with power/weight.

A few others I left out(Evo & WRX rally cars, JGTC Diablo, TVR replica, etc.) and some I’m not buying(grinding for the Cobra Coupe, I’m not).
1658546855356.png

When the R30 arrives, I’ll try this again at Laguna Seca.

Ran a 40 minute race at Spa last night and finished P3 after I could not catch the first two cars, they were flying. Even with the AI being slow up Eau Rouge. Did some tweaking of their PP levels and then did another 40 minute race at Spa with the grid inverted from the previous result. Some key differences I noticed between the two races:

• The first race had 3 or 4 cars that fell way behind, one finished a lap down. During the 2nd race, this did not happen.
  • As the race went on, a small group pulled away and the rest stayed together
  • When I caught the lead group, some of the cars I passed fell back a bit forming a 3rd group
  • The two lead cars were fighting it out for the lead. I gave P2 a bump to get in front as he seemed trapped
  • After I caught and passed him, he stayed ~1 second behind me and even made a dive for the lead coming down the hill on the last lap

Overall it was probably one of the best races I had, though I had to purposely slow myself going up Eau Rouge to not make up gobs of time. The rest of the lap they were very speedy. Here's a video of the lead battle:

Last edited:
So my next order of business for custom races is doing something a bit simpler, in that I only need to spec one car for the AI - the '89 Mazda MX-5 for some Spec Miata racing. Unfortunately for this one I have to put them on RH tires as anything lower they default to CM. I was on SH tires. Just did a 5 lap race at Watkins Glen long course with standing start and was able to make my way as far as 10th. Was going for 9th on the last lap but the AI slowed too much going into the bus stop and I had to swerve to avoid them and spun out. Not a fan of when they move over before a corner to defend their position and then they slam on the brakes because their entry angle into the corner is wrong.

AI slow/pump the brakes on the exit as well. Especially, when pressed. It's not perfect, but at least you're having better races with Boost than without.

AI slow/pump the brakes on the exit as well. Especially, when pressed. It's not perfect, but at least you're having better races with Boost than without.
Yeah I just had that happen to me, although it's usually a 50/50 shot if they do it. I can be behind a single car that will do it, or behind a small pack that doesn't.

I actually just stepped up to the SM tire and it's a bit closer as far as grip between us. Last race I finished 8th. Going to try a few different tracks now and adjust accordingly. Might give the AI another ~5hp.

After the Café missions, this is probably the most fun I had with this game yet.

4XU32nG.png

This was my first GT3 test. The idea was to create a race with 20 cars, 10 teams. It's a 30 minute race around Interlagos, 1x time progression with all rules on. AI is on hard difficulty, all cars with RH Tires, boost is set to weak and BoP is on. The cars I'm using here doesn't mean they're particularly good for custom races. They're just what I already had in my garage.

mf6elmk.png

Some liveries are mine and some are from creators. So thanks to all creators out there! :cheers:

xdvTj5Q.png

Good points:
- It's fun! Seeing all these cars with your own or someone else awesome livery and have to race them is so nice.

- Custom Races can be a lot of things. Before this GT3, I did a custom Miata TC at Red Bull Ring. There's so many possibilities with this mode.

- The AI sometimes try to defend their position or slipstream you. It's a good thing, but this is hampered by a bad thing I'm explaining further below.

- The AI can battle each other. I took a picture from starting positions and just a few cars finished in the same place. They're not going as hard as we wanted to, but at least it makes for a nice replay! :P

- Watching the replay I could see some battles here and there. It's kinda weird, because the last two drivers were doing really, really bad, but then there was a whole group of 4-5 cars up ahead trying to pass each other. The photo below is from the last laps. The R8 was in first during the whole race and the Corvette started in 5th. When I passed both, they start battling each other for 2nd place for 2 consecutive laps!

tk1x2lY.png

- Dynamic weather. It's such a minor thing, but it's so cool. One lap I'm behind a car seeing no reflections and there's no direct sunlight because of the clouds. It's all dark and grey. I had the race on 1x progression, so at the end of the next lap, the sun was slowly coming out and then I could see the car in front of me all bright and shiny. It's really cool, it adds character to the race.

SLaiByR.png

Bad points:
- Unfortunately, rubberbanding is real. At the beggning of the race the 1st place was almost 11 seconds ahead, instantly. Half race later and the difference were suddenly down to mere 3 seconds. It wasn't me doing better laps. The AI did a 1:32.2 fatest lap, which is quite fast. This should be the standard pace of them.

- The AI follows a nice racing line and overall isn't that bad, BUT, the major breakpoint, like you guys said, is that 1-they don't use full throttle and 2-they brake way to earlier. This is something I really can't understand. At Senna S they brake on a relative good point. Descida do Lago (Turn 4)? They brake 40 meters earlier, at least. It's like @R1600Turbo said with Eau Rouge.

- Also during Turn 4 some of them had a weird behavior where they would put the car in the middle of the turn, only to correct soon after to go outside following Turn 5.

- No strategy or mandatory pitstops, which is a shame. In the Miata TC race with x8 tire wear and x6 fuel consumption everyone just pitted at the same lap.

- This can be either good or bad, depends on your view. During the race, I saw some mistakes by the AI. It can be a good thing, of course, but the "problem" is that I only saw this mistakes when they were in front of me:
uhz538U.png
iQjiEoJ.png

I don't know what's PD stance on this. Maybe they don't want people stressing out because they can't win on a custom race? I wouldn't mind, honestly. In Sport Mode I really don't care finishing in a bad position if I had a good race. I had some battles in the middle of the pack that were way better than some winnings. This is the kind of race I want in SP.

I do have some ideas to make Custom Races better, but honestly guys, I think it's a lost cause. I want a way to save my custom drivers and cars, presets, mandatory pitstops, championship mode, but I don't think that will happen. A shame, really.

It's fun, that's for sure, but it also needs more "racing" and less "AI is on/AI is off". I really want to do my own GT League now, but the problem is that I need 2 cars for each team, which means spending 9 millions credits for Gr.3 or 7 millions credits for Gr.4. Sheesh, I think it's better and less expensive to start with the Miata TC! :lol:

3ybCgff.png

And at the end of all of this, I got this nice livery! It's on the first page, if anyone wants to use it!
GPQrzlD.png

Okay this is my new favorite thing. 🤣 Highly recommend giving this a go. If you want a challenge, put SM tires on your car. If you want a chance at winning, use SS. For comparison, I just ran a couple 2 lap races with me and 4 AI cars (only liveries I have done so far) just so I could get a photo of them together. In the first race I started last on SM tires and there was no chance I was getting any higher than 3rd. Switched to SS tires and managed to pull out a win but there was amazing racing for both laps. Good side by side battles with the AI. Can't wait to flesh out the field with a full set of liveries and try some longer races.

My specs: 127hp, 2072 lbs, Sport tires (SM or SS)
AI specs: 139hp, 2072 lbs, Racing Hard tire, downforce 50/150 (middle mark)
Body parts are - Wide, Front B, Side B, Rear A, Wing B

Here's a quick video of the 2-lap race on SS tires:

1658827049790.png

Okay this is my new favorite thing. 🤣 Highly recommend giving this a go. If you want a challenge, put SM tires on your car. If you want a chance at winning, use SS. For comparison, I just ran a couple 2 lap races with me and 4 AI cars (only liveries I have done so far) just so I could get a photo of them together. In the first race I started last on SM tires and there was no chance I was getting any higher than 3rd. Switched to SS tires and managed to pull out a win but there was amazing racing for both laps. Good side by side battles with the AI. Can't wait to flesh out the field with a full set of liveries and try some longer races.

My specs: 127hp, 2072 lbs, Sport tires (SM or SS)
AI specs: 139hp, 2072 lbs, Racing Hard tire, downforce 50/150 (middle mark)
Body parts are - Wide, Front B, Side B, Rear A, Wing B

Here's a quick video of the 2-lap race on SS tires:

View attachment 1176882

I believe that would be about the right balance to get a good race depending on driver ability

Back