Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 50,980 comments
  • 7,945,516 views
GT7 is not going to be dead any time soon...

Maybe people are going off the "same console era" even number titles that we have experienced in the past (GT2 in PS1, GT4 in PS2, GT6 in PS3), but I think the PS4 era has completely killed that momentum...

GT7 has tons of unlocked potential to be far more complete than what it is now, and is also a solid platform for PD to do their research and development for GT8 in a later future, which I won't see being released any time before 2025/2026 and will be a PS5 only exclusive for sure (later being added to PC maybe).
 
Shocker, the doomers doing what they usually do: Take one bit of news and announce its the end of the world. No common sense or nuance, just typical Black & White Overreaction.

Does the same apply for live service games?
Yes it does. You always have to have the next big project lined up and ready to go once your current one is finished. Again, standard industry practice.
 
Last edited:
Interesting...I wonder why this game doesn't allow you to add dirt tires to either of the 70s BMW CSLs. Most other cars from that era in GT7 allow it.
 
Shocker, the doomers doing what they usually do: Take one bit of news and announce its the end of the world. No common sense or nuance, just typical Black & White Overreaction.


Yes it does. You always have to have the next big project lined up and ready to go once your current one is finished. Again, standard industry practice.
Not for games as a service. See Destiny 2 as an example of how to do it right. Annual major expansions and quarterly seasonal updates.

That is what GT7 should be doing. I don't think Kaz actually knows what it means....

But if you are still in new game mode, you're right. Development of the next game starts as soon as the current one is released.
 
Last edited:
A lot of People here lack any understanding you see on the other gaming forums, I guess it's about GT being a niche, and maybe more "casual" game.

GT7 is definitely gonna be alive for at least 3 years from now. They haven't even dropped VR and I think that will be getting a lot of further support
Incredible, imagine crying how slow updates are etc. and thinking the next game is coming so soon, just a simple check on how PD releases the games tell you that GT8 wont release at least 3 years from now, this considering they have started working on it.

GT7 just started its life, if it wasn't for Sony it would have been released somewhere near September/October with all the features added in the updates until then.
 
GT7 in this form never was needed.

Instead, they should had update GT Sport further and give a PS5-patch.

Instead of this cross platform thing, they should had develope a GT7 real for next gen.
Actually Sony want to force all PS4 owners to PS5. What sense had made this cross platform decision.
 
Last edited:
GT7 in this form never was needed.

Instead, they should had update GT Sport further and give a PS5-patch.

Instead of this cross platform thing, they should had develope a GT7 real for next gen.
Actually Sony want to force all PS4 owners to PS5. What sense had made this cross platform decision.
There wasn’t a big PS5 user base at launch. There was about 100 million PS4 units already sold. That’s the reason for crossplatform, for this game and all the others.

Now there are enough PS5s available (and series Xboxs), games are going exclusively next-gen.

I’m happy they developed and released the game when they did, it’s still a massive upgrade over Sport.
 
I mentioned during GT7 debut, if it was PS5 exclusive, I’d just have to deal with not having a PS5, at the time. I am glad it is cross-platform, but after getting a PS5, I understood players’ concerns.
 
Normies don't know the pain of Rome Circuit 2 hour

Or The Trial Mountain 2 hour endurance race.
Pain? Oh, those are joyful events, I'd happily do them again in GT7 (but not as 150,000Cr Custom Races).

4 hours of Tsukuba in an MX-5 in GT5 was a bit mind-numbing, and I didn't attempt the 9 hours of Tsukuba, much as I love the track. The Nürburgring 4-hour at Type-V is excellent fun, it's a perfect layout for endurance.
 
Honestly, I had the opposite feeling about all this.

I was thinking that working on the VR port this whole time was taking away from the contents of the monthly updates, and that now we'll get more content in each update, since there's more people working on them. I guess we'll see what's coming this month.
If the GT7-PSVR2 release goes as smoothly as the original GT7 release, we might be looking at months of bug fixes for the VR part alone, instead of more content or fixes for old GT7 errors (splitscreen).
 
If the GT7-PSVR2 release goes as smoothly as the original GT7 release, we might be looking at months of bug fixes for the VR part alone, instead of more content or fixes for old GT7 errors (splitscreen).
I doubt it. There isn't much to fix in VR that isn't attached to the base game already.

On another note... does it really bother anyone else that these 4 ABSOLUTE BANGERS from GT5's soundtrack are nestled within the game, yet literally never play anywhere?! It would be so much better than listening to the same few utterly empty tracks that currently play in the main menu.

1675587505722.png
 
On another note... does it really bother anyone else that these 4 ABSOLUTE BANGERS from GT5's soundtrack are nestled within the game, yet literally never play anywhere?! It would be so much better than listening to the same few utterly empty tracks that currently play in the main menu.

View attachment 1228388
No because they're just more of the same old jazz sound. If they played I doubt I'd even notice them playing.
 
I doubt it. There isn't much to fix in VR that isn't attached to the base game already.

On another note... does it really bother anyone else that these 4 ABSOLUTE BANGERS from GT5's soundtrack are nestled within the game, yet literally never play anywhere?! It would be so much better than listening to the same few utterly empty tracks that currently play in the main menu.

View attachment 1228388
Yes, that is indeed bizarre. It also does bother me that they still won't let us turn off certain Menu BGMs when the same option is already there for Race BGM. I like most of the themes that play in the garage but I'm not a big fan of some of the others. There's one particular song that plays at Brand Central, when it starts playing I go out of my way to exit and re-enter the dealership to make it start playing a different song. I think the song is called Squad.
 
Last edited:
No because they're just more of the same old jazz sound. If they played I doubt I'd even notice them playing.
You mean the same jazz that's integral to GT's spirit as a franchise? I mean, fair enough if you don't like it, but you can't deny that it's an important part of the series, and it's a bit weird to have songs in the tracklist that literally never play.
Yes, that is indeed bizarre. It also does bother me that they still won't let us turn off certain Menu BGMs when the same option is already there for Race BGM. I like most of the themes that play in the garage but I'm not a big fan of some of the others. There's one particular song that plays at Brand Central, when it starts playing I go out of my way to exit and re-enter the dealership to make it start playing a different song. I think the song is called Squad.
If it was up to me, I'd like the ability to configure each menu's soundtrack individually, just so I can unify it across every menu. :P
I also wish we could import music directly from a USB, much like the PS3-era games. I know why they don't let us (so we're forced to go through Spotify instead) but it would be so much more convenient to just import the music right into the game...
 
I doubt it. There isn't much to fix in VR that isn't attached to the base game already.

On another note... does it really bother anyone else that these 4 ABSOLUTE BANGERS from GT5's soundtrack are nestled within the game, yet literally never play anywhere?! It would be so much better than listening to the same few utterly empty tracks that currently play in the main menu.

View attachment 1228388
Interesting find :)
The best musical experience in GT7 I had so far was muting the BGM entitely and playing the GT4 soundtrack on youtube instead. Especially navigating through the world map, garage, gt auto etc. While listening to the menu tracks from 28:09 onwards bring back so much GT nostalgia.

 
Last edited:
It's way too early for that - by at least a year. If GT7's live support gets cut off anytime before 2024, you can bet there'll be riots across this entire website.
In my opinion GT7 will be supported with frequent updates (monthly or bimonthly) until not earlier than 2024, then they likely gonna slow down and become less frequent but the live service support should last until 2025-2026 but with slower content/frequency. I don't expect GT8 to release before late 2026 or 2027-2028. That is my own prediction, and I think it's a realistic one.
 
Pain? Oh, those are joyful events, I'd happily do them again in GT7 (but not as 150,000Cr Custom Races).

4 hours of Tsukuba in an MX-5 in GT5 was a bit mind-numbing, and I didn't attempt the 9 hours of Tsukuba, much as I love the track. The Nürburgring 4-hour at Type-V is excellent fun, it's a perfect layout for endurance.
Hence the term normies.

Especially when you pound through a one hour race, and get awarded a miata.

You mean the same jazz that's integral to GT's spirit as a franchise? I mean, fair enough if you don't like it, but you can't deny that it's an important part of the series, and it's a bit weird to have songs in the tracklist that literally never play.

If it was up to me, I'd like the ability to configure each menu's soundtrack individually, just so I can unify it across every menu. :P
I also wish we could import music directly from a USB, much like the PS3-era games. I know why they don't let us (so we're forced to go through Spotify instead) but it would be so much more convenient to just import the music right into the game...

My m8 doesn't even include the banger that is Symphonic Movement - RAM

and yes, we should configure the menu soundtrack, because After the Rain's the only one that hits close to home.
 
Last edited:
In my opinion GT7 will be supported with frequent updates (monthly or bimonthly) until not earlier than 2024, then they likely gonna slow down and become less frequent but the live service support should last until 2025-2026 but with slower content/frequency. I don't expect GT8 to release before late 2026 or 2027-2028. That is my own prediction, and I think it's a realistic one.
In-gen sequels usually have a 3 year dev cycle, ie GT1-GT2, GT3-GT4, GT5-GT6.

Outliers in GT history are the PS3 development troubles with GT5, which pushed GT6 into PS4's launch window. Then we had the assets reset with GTS. I'd be surprised if GT8 is not ready by '25. If they have full GAAS ambitions, ie no more numbered sequels, maybe '26.
 
In-gen sequels usually have a 3 year dev cycle, ie GT1-GT2, GT3-GT4, GT5-GT6.

Outliers in GT history are the PS3 development troubles with GT5, which pushed GT6 into PS4's launch window. Then we had the assets reset with GTS. I'd be surprised if GT8 is not ready by '25. If they have full GAAS ambitions, ie no more numbered sequels, maybe '26.
Development times from the PS1/PS2 era are pretty much irrelevant - it takes a lot longer these days.

A minimum 5 year period seems likely.
 
Development times from the PS1/PS2 era are pretty much irrelevant - it takes a lot longer these days.

A minimum 5 year period seems likely.
To do what?

The biggest time commitment are 3D models & asset creation, and we already know PD are producing double the amount of cars they're releasing. By '25 they'll probably have some 550-600 cars ready to go. Circuit 3D models are upto standard, what we will likely see are asset refreshes like foliage and textures. The heavy lifting was done with GTS and the move to X86 PS4 (and now PS5).

Other developments will focus on AI, game structure etc.
 
Last edited:
To do what?

The biggest time commitment are 3D models & asset creation, and we already know PD are producing double the amount of cars they're releasing. By '25 they'll probably have some 550-600 cars ready to go. Circuit 3D models are upto standard, what we will likely see are asset refreshes like foliage and textures. The heavy lifting was done with GTS and the move to X86 PS4 (and now PS5).

Other developments will focus on AI, game structure etc.
Only any new cars and tracks that are going to appear in GT8 that aren't already in GT7 aren't likely to be assets that have already been created in GTS. I'm not sure I'm following your logic here. The assets i.e. cars and tracks do take up a significant chunk of time. If GT8 launches and it's just GT7 with a shiny new logo then that's going to fail. It will need to have tracks new to the series and new to the console generation, same with cars.

If they're creating 60 cars a year and 40 of those are appearing in GT7, then your going to see just 60 new cars in GT8 if it appears 3 years after GT7 launched. Is that enough? I don't think so. Even in 5 years that's only 100, though we'd probably see fewer cars going into GT7 a couple of years ahead of GT8 and then none in the final 12 months outside of the odd collaberation job.

I hope for GT8's sake that they don't just take the time needed with it, but they acutally use the time as needed and it's not the let down GT7 was.
 
Last edited:
vr hype for real. this will revolutionize GT. Mark my words.
Perhaps for those who buy the VR2 headset, but I don't see huge numbers of players (relatively speaking) buying the VR headsetjust due to sheer economics or time, money and/or practicality.

It certainly doesn't appear to be a bad update to the game, it seems very impressive if I'm honest with you that the whole game will be playable in VR. But I do think VR in general is still fairly niche and expensive, so it will be a fantastic addition for some, but the numbers will be relatively small compared to the overall player base.
 
Back