Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,240 comments
Perhaps for those who buy the VR2 headset, but I don't see huge numbers of players (relatively speaking) buying the VR headsetjust due to sheer economics or time, money and/or practicality.
As well as the retention rate. Everyone I know IRL with a VR setup had stopped using it after a while out of the sheer impracticality of daily use no matter the kind of game they were playing.

Once the novelty wore off, the habit of just firing up a TV and play or second monitoring a show/podcast won out every time.

Last edited:
... There's one particular song that plays at Brand Central, when it starts playing I go out of my way to exit and re-enter the dealership to make it start playing a different song. I think the song is called Squad.
Ah good, it's not just me! Squad, which has a catchy, dancy chorus, is utterly ruined by the mumble rapping throughout. The name of Gran Turismo is invoked once, with no relevance to the rest of the lyrics which are about focusing on a lady's underwear at a club. I turned it off in March and it worked for me, removing it from the racing music rotation also stopped it from playing in Brand Central on my end.

Not once did the game reward me anything but the lowest reward possible on the Roulette. No matter what ticket, 1 star, 2 star or 3 star, I always get the lowest reward on it. Last 3 star ticket was 5K credits worth.....
Huge flashbacks to the daily distance wheel in GT Sport, always the most crappy car on the wheel.....
Just give me the 5K credits and not give me any hope for something good, yeah?

Not once did the game reward me anything but the lowest reward possible on the Roulette. No matter what ticket, 1 star, 2 star or 3 star, I always get the lowest reward on it. Last 3 star ticket was 5K credits worth.....
Huge flashbacks to the daily distance wheel in GT Sport, always the most crappy car on the wheel.....
Just give me the 5K credits and not give me any hope for something good, yeah?
shrug I got 500k yesterday, and a racing exhaust for the M2 today. Peaks and valleys, my friend.

Only any new cars and tracks that are going to appear in GT8 that aren't already in GT7 aren't likely to be assets that have already been created in GTS. I'm not sure I'm following your logic here. The assets i.e. cars and tracks do take up a significant chunk of time. If GT8 launches and it's just GT7 with a shiny new logo then that's going to fail. It will need to have tracks new to the series and new to the console generation, same with cars.

If they're creating 60 cars a year and 40 of those are appearing in GT7, then your going to see just 60 new cars in GT8 if it appears 3 years after GT7 launched. Is that enough? I don't think so. Even in 5 years that's only 100, though we'd probably see fewer cars going into GT7 a couple of years ahead of GT8 and then none in the final 12 months outside of the odd collaberation job.

I hope for GT8's sake that they don't just take the time needed with it, but they acutally use the time as needed and it's not the let down GT7 was.
60-100 additional cars is more than enough for GT8. Other than adding significant new road & race cars, the majority of cars of interest will be those with historical significance, as they were back in '97 when GT1 launched. That's why it's important to produce 3D models to a quality over and above what even PS5 can display. Likewise, the track list only needs to be iterated upon, not completely re-built. A cosmetic makeover is far easier to manage, with assets, textures, foliage etc., able to be used across multiple tracks.

While in-gen GT sequels have always refined the presentation, performance & features. There's much more potential with GT8 if, as we expect, it's a PS5 exclusive. No one really knows what compromises PD had to make for cross-gen. But as with PS VR2 implementation, it must be a dream to work just with PS5, optimising the title around features like the SSD.
Perhaps for those who buy the VR2 headset, but I don't see huge numbers of players (relatively speaking) buying the VR headsetjust due to sheer economics or time, money and/or practicality.

It certainly doesn't appear to be a bad update to the game, it seems very impressive if I'm honest with you that the whole game will be playable in VR. But I do think VR in general is still fairly niche and expensive, so it will be a fantastic addition for some, but the numbers will be relatively small compared to the overall player base.
True, but sim racing is also the genre where many users are prepared to lay down significant amounts for peripherals. That's on the console side, there's big potential attracting PC sim players, who often spend far more on their set-ups. I've also been surprised how many hardcore VR enthusiasts are going all in with sim set-ups just for GT7. £500+ is difficult to stomach, but if the experience is high quality, it will gain a following. In time £350 seems a more palatable price for mainstream consumers.

Last edited:
lol, sure man. Three 3-star tickets in a row, 5K coins which were the smallest reward. Peaks. Mhmmm. I see them.... said no one:lol:
After getting gold on all license tests yesterday and filling up my daily drive and getting a 4 star ticket, now im almost 100% sure they are "rigged". I have over 200hrs of play time and never have I got a ticket with only cars, so basically whatever you get, you win a car. I feel I got that ticket jsut because of the gold status before it.

Otherwise its as you say. Most of the time I would get the lowest reward or like an exhaust which I really dont care about. I did get once I think the full gold bars which is 3 mil? but that was once in 1 year lol....the rest was mostly 5 or 10k.

They aren't. They are, however, entirely predetermined.
Maybe the word "rigged" is too strong but you get what I mean. Only after achieving something big, I get a 4* ticket with better rewards than any 6* I used to get. I feel like the game throws these at you at certain points because it follows some algorithm.

Maybe the word "rigged" is too strong but you get what I mean. Only after achieving something big, I get a 4* ticket with better rewards than any 6* I used to get. I feel like the game throws these at you at certain points because it follows some algorithm.
The level of ticket is - as far as we can tell - a chance outcome based on your Collector Level; higher-level tickets are far more common at Level 50 than Level 1.

However what's in the tickets is predetermined. We know this because it's possible to open the same ticket more than once and you'll always get the same result - and we know that there's a mechanism at play similar to GT Sport's roulette (and probably GT5's UCD) because there's an exception to that rule: the ticket contents may change (and then remain fixed) after an update.

I turned it off in March and it worked for me, removing it from the racing music rotation also stopped it from playing in Brand Central on my end.
Huh, that's interesting. I have Race BGM turned off completely, so I never bothered fiddling around with that playlist. So at least for that song, I can stop it from ever coming on this way. Good to know 👍

Last edited:
After getting gold on all license tests yesterday and filling up my daily drive and getting a 4 star ticket, now im almost 100% sure they are "rigged". I have over 200hrs of play time and never have I got a ticket with only cars, so basically whatever you get, you win a car. I feel I got that ticket jsut because of the gold status before it.

Otherwise its as you say. Most of the time I would get the lowest reward or like an exhaust which I really dont care about. I did get once I think the full gold bars which is 3 mil? but that was once in 1 year lol....the rest was mostly 5 or 10k.

60-100 additional cars is more than enough for GT8. Other than adding significant new road & race cars, the majority of cars of interest will be those with historical significance, as they were back in '97 when GT1 launched. That's why it's important to produce 3D models to a quality over and above what even PS5 can display. Likewise, the track list only needs to be iterated upon, not completely re-built. A cosmetic makeover is far easier to manage, with assets, textures, foliage etc., able to be used across multiple tracks.
I doubt very much 60 new cars would satisfy many people, I would expect most players would be dissapointed with fewer than 120 new cars personally (though that's just an assumption based on the reaction to the number of new cars in GT7 at launch). Yes, quality over quantity is important, to a point, but you don't want to go so mental over the fine details you cannot produce a worthwhile amount of content. We know PD aren't doing that though, so it is fairly moot. The track list does need to be rebuilt, we already have all of the tracks from GT:Sport in GT7, any newer traks be them brand new to the series or reappearing from older games will need to be rebiult. Trail Mountain is not just a touched up version of GT5's Trial Mountain for example.
While in-gen GT sequels have always refined the presentation, performance & features. There's much more potential with GT8 if, as we expect, it's a PS5 exclusive. No one really knows what compromises PD had to make for cross-gen. But as with PS VR2 implementation, it must be a dream to work just with PS5, optimising the title around features like the SSD.
But we do know what weren't compromises, the poor number of events, lack of a proper classic GT single player career mode, the in game economy being what it is, the UCD and LCD being tied to real world days not in game progress and MTX's. Those are all big issues with the game yet have nothing to do with it being cross gen.

As for the SSD, I'm not sure what impact that will have beyond loading times. M2 SSD's load data very, very quickly, and in some gmaes that will have different impacts on the game design. Level design for example, instead of having levels seperated by loading screens or loading zones (i.e. long corridors or elevators designed to slow the player down while the next area loads etc.) Gran Turismo won't benefit from that, the consoles can already load the Nordscheife on the fly fast enough that the player can speed around it at 400kph in the Tomahawk.

At it's most basic, data from storage is loaded into RAM and then the CPU or GPU read the data from the RAM and this data is contasntly loaded from storage to RAM and then read by the CPU or GPU depending ont he type of data. An M2 SSD is pushing data to RAM faster, an SSD isn't an APU.

It doesn't impact what I think you think it impacts, it's good, it's great for loading times and large open environments, but it's benefits in racing games are more limited to loading times than anything else.
True, but sim racing is also the genre where many users are prepared to lay down significant amounts for peripherals. That's on the console side, there's big potential attracting PC sim players, who often spend far more on their set-ups. I've also been surprised how many hardcore VR enthusiasts are going all in with sim set-ups just for GT7. £500+ is difficult to stomach, but if the experience is high quality, it will gain a following. In time £350 seems a more palatable price for mainstream consumers.
I'm not sure it has a huge market in sim-racing either, the hardcore sim racers tend to spend a lot on racing seats and wheel setups, I don't know of many who also hae VR headsets and no, I don't see GT7 and VR2 changing this as they would surely already be racing in AC with VR headsets on PC which has been avaialble for years now. On top of that, hardcore sim racers are actually quite few in number on the spetrum of gamers as a whole.

PSVR2 will probably sell enough to justify it's existance, and while it isn't imporssible for it to break the mould, I don't expect it to be anything but a niche product that a minority of players will buy and enjoy. It isn't a bad product from what I've seen and it's implemented into GT7 very well from the sound of it, but I won't be buying one and I could afford to buy it on launch day because I would put it away somewhere and never get it out again.

Of course, our definitiions of a large market may be varying here, so just to reiterate, I think it'll sell enough to meet what Sony expect, but I don't beleive it'll break into the market as a mainstream peripheral.

Last edited:
I’d be interested to see how PSVR2 compares to steering wheels, as far as peripheral sales. I think PSVR2 would be more mainstream as it develops in the future. Especially if people using it don’t experience much motion sickness.

Look, we had the Walkman, then the Discman, MP3 players, mobile phones, tablets, earbuds. There’s a chance PSVR2,3,4, whatever, could be used for streaming tv, movies. I don’t know, but if this headset is a hit, it could be the thing to have. Similar to when PlayStation(or any other console) became the only home entertainment system needed - now, a SmarTV is pretty much the only entertainment system needed. We‘re already there.
1675679308204.jpeg

I’d be interested to see how PSVR2 compares to steering wheels, as far as peripheral sales. I think PSVR2 would be more mainstream as it develops in the future. Especially if people using it don’t experience much motion sickness.

Look, we had the Walkman, then the Discman, MP3 players, mobile phones, tablets, earbuds. There’s a chance PSVR2,3,4, whatever, could be used for streaming tv, movies. I don’t know, but if this headset is a hit, it could be the thing to have. Similar to when PlayStation(or any other console) became the only home entertainment system needed - now, a SmarTV is pretty much the only entertainment system needed. We‘re already there.
View attachment 1228619
I think VR headsets will always be niche because they aren't comfortable. A TV sits on a cabinet or wall, a mobile phone sits in your pocket or hand, 3d TV's didn't pick up because they sit on your face (the glasses not the TV), VR headsets sit on your entire head. I just don't see any scenario where most people come home from work, crash on the sofa and choose to stick a VR headset on over just watching the TV. There's room for improvement, making them less bulky and easier to store away with fewer wires etc. but I don't see them becoming mainstream. Maybe they will, but at the moment I can't see it.

Last edited:
I doubt very much 60 new cars would satisfy many people, I would expect most players would be dissapointed with fewer than 120 new cars personally (though that's just an assumption based on the reaction to the number of new cars in GT7 at launch). Yes, quality over quantity is important, to a point, but you don't want to go so mental over the fine details you cannot produce a worthwhile amount of content. We know PD aren't doing that though, so it is fairly moot. The track list does need to be rebuilt, we already have all of the tracks from GT:Sport in GT7, any newer traks be them brand new to the series or reappearing from older games will need to be rebiult. Trail Mountain is not just a touched up version of GT5's Trial Mountain for example.

But we do know what weren't compromises, the poor number of events, lack of a proper classic GT single player career mode, the in game economy being what it is, the UCD and LCD being tied to real world days not in game progress and MTX's. Those are all big issues with the game yet have nothing to do with it being cross gen.

As for the SSD, I'm not sure what impact that will have beyond loading times. M2 SSD's load data very, very quickly, and in some gmaes that will have different impacts on the game design. Level design for example, instead of having levels seperated by loading screens or loading zones (i.e. long corridors or elevators designed to slow the player down while the next area loads etc.) Gran Turismo won't benefit from that, the consoles can already load the Nordscheife on the fly fast enough that the player can speed around it at 400kph in the Tomahawk.

At it's most basic, data from storage is loaded into RAM and then the CPU or GPU read the data from the RAM and this data is contasntly loaded from storage to RAM and then read by the CPU or GPU depending ont he type of data. An M2 SSD is pushing data to RAM faster, an SSD isn't an APU.

It doesn't impact what I think you think it impacts, it's good, it's great for loading times and large open environments, but it's benefits in racing games are more limited to loading times than anything else.

I'm not sure it has a huge market in sim-racing either, the hardcore sim racers tend to spend a lot on racing seats and wheel setups, I don't know of many who also hae VR headsets and no, I don't see GT7 and VR2 changing this as they would surely already be racing in AC with VR headsets on PC which has been avaialble for years now. On top of that, hardcore sim racers are actually quite few in number on the spetrum of gamers as a whole.

PSVR2 will probably sell enough to justify it's existance, and while it isn't imporssible for it to break the mould, I don't expect it to be anything but a niche product that a minority of players will buy and enjoy. It isn't a bad product from what I've seen and it's implemented into GT7 very well from the sound of it, but I won't be buying one and I could afford to buy it on launch day because I would put it away somewhere and never get it out again.

Of course, our definitiions of a large market may be varying here, so just to reiterate, I think it'll sell enough to meet what Sony expect, but I don't beleive it'll break into the market as a mainstream peripheral.
We've had a glimpse at what PS5 can offer over PS4 with PS VR2 implementation. From 1vs1 with extremely poor resolution in GTS, to the full GT7 game and (seemingly) few graphical short-cuts. Cross-gen limits how much you can take advantage of new hardware, everything needs to be scaled back to work on PS4. Or in the case of GT7, the PS4 base was in place from GTS, so they built upon last-gen tech. Car & track models, those are the easy things to scale with LoD quality. The obvious shortcomings in GT7 are environmental detail and the quality of effects like weather. Something that can be dialed up tremendously with the PS5 GPU, CPU & SSD.

From a technology standpoint PD are in a really good place right now. They've built up a car & track library that can be carried across to the new gen (and probably beyond). And can focus on maximising PS5's features. On the actual game(play) front it's anyone's guess what PD will do, but it certainly makes it easier when you're not grappling with technological hurdles.

I hope that VR2 update comes with some substantial new content to standar game
I have a theory that the drought in monthly content over the first year was due to most of PD's resources being pooled into working on the VR version of the game. If this is the case, we should hopefully see bigger and better updates for GT7 following the VR update.

If I'm wrong, then we know most of their team is dedicated to working on GT8 instead.

I have a theory that the drought in monthly content over the first year was due to most of PD's resources being pooled into working on the VR version of the game. If this is the case, we should hopefully see bigger and better updates for GT7 following the VR update.

If I'm wrong, then we know most of their team is dedicated to working on GT8 instead.
All we know is we don't get enough content. I don't really care why, I think it's a great pity.

We've had a glimpse at what PS5 can offer over PS4 with PS VR2 implementation. From 1vs1 with extremely poor resolution in GTS, to the full GT7 game and (seemingly) few graphical short-cuts. Cross-gen limits how much you can take advantage of new hardware, everything needs to be scaled back to work on PS4. Or in the case of GT7, the PS4 base was in place from GTS, so they built upon last-gen tech. Car & track models, those are the easy things to scale with LoD quality. The obvious shortcomings in GT7 are environmental detail and the quality of effects like weather. Something that can be dialed up tremendously with the PS5 GPU, CPU & SSD.

From a technology standpoint PD are in a really good place right now. They've built up a car & track library that can be carried across to the new gen (and probably beyond). And can focus on maximising PS5's features. On the actual game(play) front it's anyone's guess what PD will do, but it certainly makes it easier when you're not grappling with technological hurdles.
I dont disagree with all of that though some I would still depabate, but it's going off on a tangent from what was originally mentioned and responded to in my post which you quoted. Of course the PS5 is more capable than the PS4, and the VR mode shown for GT7 is leaps and bounds ahead of what was available in GTS. But that's a combination of expertise, experience and hardware both of the headset and console. But the SSD, which is specifically what you raised isn't going to a particular big factor beyond loading times. The points in my post you quoted still stand as they haven't been addressed.

Last edited:

I don't think so, they worked on VR from the beginning:

Which means years.

Last edited:
I think VR headsets will always be niche because they aren't comfortable. A TV sits on a cabinet or wall, a mobile phone sits in your pocket or hand, 3d TV's didn't pick up because they sit on your face (the glasses not the TV), VR headsets sit on your entire head. I just don't see any scenario where most people come home from work, crash on the sofa and choose to stick a VR headset on over just watching the TV. There's room for improvement, making them less bulky and easier to store away with fewer wires etc. but I don't see them becoming mainstream. Maybe they will, but at the moment I can't see it.
I thought Jordan said the headset is comfortable. He mentioned adding the headphones would be more devices on player’s head. I believe it was mentioned ear buds come with the head set. Plus, glasses can be worn, comfortably, while using the headset.
It’s no problem if you can’t see it being mainstream. Maybe it won’t and maybe it will. Again, we’ll see if the entertainment industry run with this. Keep in mind, the PSVR2 doesn’t require a tv set, once initially set up. There are other uses that could spill into mainstream usage. So, not just home use, but work as well.

This was from a couple years ago: https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en...tion-line-maintenance-and-technical-training/

Then, there are VR glasses. They don’t sit on the entire head. As a side, Smart glasses are already a thing. They have speakers and functions mirroring phones.

The NReal Air AR glasses at the end of this video pointing to what could be mainstream usage.

Again, if Sony will have more uses for PSVR and being an entertainment company(and now a car company as well), we’ll see if they make the VR smaller for all the time use.

Last edited:
I thought Jordan said the headset is comfortable. He mentioned adding the headphones would be more devices on player’s head. I believe it was mentioned ear buds come with the head set. Plus, glasses can be worn, comfortably, while using the headset.
It’s no problem if you can’t see it being mainstream. Maybe it won’t and maybe it will. Again, we’ll see if the entertainment industry run with this. Keep in mind, the PSVR2 doesn’t require a tv set, once initially set up. There are other uses that could spill into mainstream usage. So, not just home use, but work as well.

This was from a couple years ago: https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en...tion-line-maintenance-and-technical-training/

Then, there are VR glasses. They don’t sit on the entire head. As a side, Smart glasses are already a thing. They have speakers and functions mirroring phones.

The NReal Air AR glasses at the end of this video pointing to what could be mainstream usage.

Again, if Sony will have more uses for PSVR and being an entertainment company(and now a car company as well), we’ll see if they make the VR smaller for all the time use.

Comfort is relative, 3d TV's didn't take on in part because people didn't want to wear the 3d glasses. There's a niche for it still, but it's not mainstream, and if that put people off that, then wearing a whole headset is less likely to take off.

The headsets may be comfortable relative to other VR headsets or for a period of time, but I'll honeslty tell you what would happen if I bought on as things stand. I'd use it for a while, then I'd get tired of packing it up all the time and it'd get put in a box, in a cupboard not to be used again.

Smart Glasses are a thing, but they are also niche. There's a lot of cool gadets out there and perceptions can change over time, but I don't see it being mainstream, it's too cumbersome compared to just me and the missues switching on the TV to watch a film.

I could be wrong and you could be right of course.

Last edited:
I thought Jordan said the headset is comfortable. He mentioned adding the headphones would be more devices on player’s head. I believe it was mentioned ear buds come with the head set.
Is it more comfortable than not wearing any headset tethered to your PS5 with a cable?

And, this is not limited to PSVR, I do question just how willing hardcore sim racers are to switch to VR if they've already dropped thousands on, say, a steering wheel like this and then not be able to see the display or fiddle with the dials:

Thumbnail-Layout.jpg

Back