Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 50,963 comments
  • 7,937,353 views
So you want to suggest that I shouldn’t have fun doing that?
No, I'm suggesting it's not indicative of good game design. What you have fun doing is entirely your prerogative and everyone will find different amounts of fun in different things.
 
If the daily roulette motivates you to play then IMO that suggests the game isn't good enough.

You shouldn't need that to feel motivated to play GT7 today, yet that's how a lot of GT7 players are, they log in, complete their daily marathon, claim the prize, turn the game off. That is not indicative of a good game, it's a mechanic designed not for the betterment of players enjoyment, but to make people feel like they are missing out if they don't log in every day.

It would be less of an issue if the prizes for the daily marathon were all things you could obtain elsewhere in the game, but the real issue is locking content behind this lottery mechanic and with some shockingly low odds as well.
Every day between 2 and 3 million people worldwide log on to the New York Times website to play just one game of Wordle for no reward other than the pleasure of the game and to keep their streak going.

In any given month around 30 million people will play Microsoft Solitaire - many of them getting their daily fix.

Around 500,000 subscribe to the daily NYT crossword.

I use a website that gives me one chess puzzle per day.

Sure, there's some FOMO in the mix somewhere, but there are also a hell of a lot of people making a conscious decision to do something that they enjoy on a regular basis.

In the last month, the marathon has given me two 500k tickets and a Dodge Tomahawk, plus the fun of running the miles.

So, sorry, I can't agree that GT7 is not a good game because it rewards regular play.
 
Every day between 2 and 3 million people worldwide log on to the New York Times website to play just one game of Wordle for no reward other than the pleasure of the game and to keep their streak going.

In any given month around 30 million people will play Microsoft Solitaire - many of them getting their daily fix.

Around 500,000 subscribe to the daily NYT crossword.

I use a website that gives me one chess puzzle per day.

Sure, there's some FOMO in the mix somewhere, but there are also a hell of a lot of people making a conscious decision to do something that they enjoy on a regular basis.

In the last month, the marathon has given me two 500k tickets and a Dodge Tomahawk, plus the fun of running the miles.

So, sorry, I can't agree that GT7 is not a good game because it rewards regular play.
You are misunderstanding what I am saying, but two points first. Are those games/puzzles you mention AAA games that came with price indicative of such? And did I say that there was anything wrong with someone playing the game daily for no other reason than they simply enjoy it? No is the answer to both of those.

There's a huge contrast between a premium videogame like GT7 and a free crossword on a news website. However, to reiterate, there is nothing wrong with people spending time doing what they enjoy whatever that be (with the usual within reason caveats of course). However it has been demonstrated that a decent number of people play the GT7 for the sole reason of hitting the daily marathon and claiming the prize. Motvation and intetions are key here and to complicate matters everyone can have different motivations and intentions and even one persons can change hourly/daily/weekly.

FOMO mechanics like daily login bonuses are an extrinsic influence designed to motivate peoples decisions. Is that good, bad, in between? Well to me it depends on what those rewards are as I tend to spend time doing things because I find fun over doing things just so as I don't miss out on whatever rewards I'll get from doing it.

However, like many aspects of this debate the answer will also be subjective and differ from person to person. But to expand on my personal view, if for example you were receiving a Cr boost for logging in on consecutive days then I would still much prefer that to be a mechanic built into the core progress of the game another way. I.e. your license level or another metric that didn't reset you back to square one if you missed a day playing because you had a life away from your PlayStation. But overall, it wouldn't bother me all that much. But when you require people log in daily to win a ticket where they might win content you cannot access any other way I call that for what it is, a badly designed mechanic.

You might find this an odd concept, but there is a huge difference in the enjoyment gained from someone doing something simply because that's what they choose to do over choosing to do something so that they don't miss out be that some type of streak, a daily bonus or other. You are correct, there are millions of drones who do things out of compulsion because they are conditioned to not want to miss a login bonus, lose a streak or whatever. There are studies on this behaviour and studies on the effect it has on mental health and how these things manipulate a persons behaviour. You may feel that the carrot that has been dangled is a good thing, but read Skinner's Box and other relevent studies to understand the science behind the conditioning that these mechnics promote. It really isn't that black and white as there is a deliberate psychological manipulation to generate addictive, compulsive behavior involved in these mechanics.

That doesn't mean it has to spoil the game for you or anyone else, that's entrely subjective and people can make their own minds up over that individually. But there have been polls and considerable feedback that people dislike the content being locked exclusively behind the roulette tickets and plenty of people have proffered what are IMO, much better solutions.

I'm also not suggesting GT7 isn't a good game, I've said many times it's a good game, but it's a dissapointing Gran Turismo, for me at least. Technically it's the best in the series, but for what draws me specificaly to games like Gran Turismo, I find GT7 severely lacking and mechanics like the daily marathon roulette and the way content is locked behind that is a huge negative, for me. Again, that's highly subjective and while I'm happy to debate GT7's merits against previous games in the series and other franchises altogether, I an fully aware and appreciative that there are plenty of people who love the game, like it less than me and a whole lot in between.
 
Last edited:
You are misunderstanding what I am saying, but two points first. Are those games/puzzles you mention AAA games that came with price indicative of such? And did I say that there was anything wrong with someone playing the game daily for no other reason than they simply enjoy it? No is the answer to both of those.

There's a huge contrast between a premium videogame like GT7 and a free crossword on a news website. However, to reiterate, there is nothing wrong with people spending time doing what they enjoy whatever that be (with the usual within reason caveats of course). However it has been demonstrated that a decent number of people play the GT7 for the sole reason of hitting the daily marathon and claiming the prize. Motvation and intetions are key here and to complicate matters everyone can have different motivations and intentions and even one persons can change hourly/daily/weekly.

FOMO mechanics like daily login bonuses are an extrinsic influence designed to motivate peoples decisions. Is that good, bad, in between? Well to me it depends on what those rewards are as I tend to spend time doing things because I find fun over doing things just so as I don't miss out on whatever rewards I'll get from doing it.

However, like many aspects of this debate the answer will also be subjective and differ from person to person. But to expand on my personal view, if for example you were receiving a Cr boost for logging in on consecutive days then I would still much prefer that to be a mechanic built into the core progress of the game another way. I.e. your license level or another metric that didn't reset you back to square one if you missed a day playing because you had a life away from your PlayStation. But overall, it wouldn't bother me all that much. But when you require people log in daily to win a ticket where they might win content you cannot access any other way I call that for what it is, a badly designed mechanic.

You might find this an odd concept, but there is a huge difference in the enjoyment gained from someone doing something simply because that's what they choose to do over choosing to do something so that they don't miss out be that some type of streak, a daily bonus or other. You are correct, there are millions of drones who do things out of compulsion because they are conditioned to not want to miss a login bonus, lose a streak or whatever. There are studies on this behaviour and studies on the effect it has on mental health and how these things manipulate a persons behaviour. You may feel that the carrot that has been dangled is a good thing, but read Skinner's Box and other relevent studies to understand the science behind the conditioning that these mechnics promote. It really isn't that black and white as there is a deliberate psychological manipulation to generate addictive, compulsive behavior involved in these mechanics.

That doesn't mean it has to spoil the game for you or anyone else, that's entrely subjective and people can make their own minds up over that individually. But there have been polls and considerable feedback that people dislike the content being locked exclusively behind the roulette tickets and plenty of people have proffered what are IMO, much better solutions.

I'm also not suggesting GT7 isn't a good game, I've said many times it's a good game, but it's a dissapointing Gran Turismo, for me at least. Technically it's the best in the series, but for what draws me specificaly to games like Gran Turismo, I find GT7 severely lacking and mechics like the daily marathon roulette and the way content is locked behind that is a huge negative, for me. Again, that's highly subjective and while I'm happy to debate GT7's merits against previous games in the series and other franchises altogether, I an fully aware and appreciative that there are plenty of people who love the game, like it less than me and a whole lot in between.
I'm intrigued - why does it matter whether a game is AAA or not? If you have a problem with the mechanic of a daily workout, doesn't that apply to all daily workouts regardless of cost? After all, while GT7 cost us a hefty amount in initial outlay, once we've bought it it is then free to use (provided we avoid MTX). So that daily workout costs precisely zero whether it is a videogame or a crossword.

Apart from that, I agree with much of what you say. I agree with you when you say GT7 is disappointing. It could be so much better than it is. I certainly agree that there is a wide variety of viewpoints about the game.

But where I struggle to agree with you is when you say this: "You shouldn't need that (the daily roulette) to feel motivated to play GT7 today".

As far as I am concerned, none of us has the right to tell someone how to play the game or how they should be motivated. Just because you or I don't like a feature doesn't mean that everyone should dislike it. And just because a majority of people in a poll favour one point view that doesn't stop any one person from disagreeing.
 
I'm intrigued - why does it matter whether a game is AAA or not? If you have a problem with the mechanic of a daily workout, doesn't that apply to all daily workouts regardless of cost? After all, while GT7 cost us a hefty amount in initial outlay, once we've bought it it is then free to use (provided we avoid MTX). So that daily workout costs precisely zero whether it is a videogame or a crossword.

Apart from that, I agree with much of what you say. I agree with you when you say GT7 is disappointing. It could be so much better than it is. I certainly agree that there is a wide variety of viewpoints about the game.

But where I struggle to agree with you is when you say this: "You shouldn't need that (the daily roulette) to feel motivated to play GT7 today".

As far as I am concerned, none of us has the right to tell someone how to play the game or how they should be motivated. Just because you or I don't like a feature doesn't mean that everyone should dislike it. And just because a majority of people in a poll favour one point view that doesn't stop any one person from disagreeing.
It matters only from the perspective of expectation, what you expect form a free puzzle game on a news site is not and should not be what you expect from a AAA game.

The whole point behind me saying "You shouldn't need that (the daily roulette) to feel motivated to play GT7 today" is that the game should be good without any extrinsic influences manipulating a person to play. Of course, a person might play with or without that influence, but a feature such as a daily login bonus/reward/streak encouraging players to come back again and again is not an excuse nor does it make up for poor gameplay (that's a general comment not GT7 specific). FTAOD I'm not judging the person, I'm judging the mechanic.
 
Last edited:
So I tried the Maggiore One Hour yet again, but this time, I slightly changed my strategy to pit just before the 40min mark, which is basically after the first 10 laps. Then, I only took on enough fuel to last ten more laps, and sure enough, after another ten laps, I did the same thing. I got a better result this time - 2nd, and I feel like I was pretty close to Gallo's NSX. Keep in mind I'm trying to do this in the Corvette C7 Gr.3, so I wonder if it's possible to actually get gold for this event using that car.

Despite not getting gold this time, though, I did get a six-star parts ticket that netted me a Stage 5 Weight Reduction for the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren, so that's actually quite nice. I might also try doing more of Daily Race A today, as I recall getting a solid time in the top 1k yesterday.

EDIT: To actually contribute to the seemingly ongoing sub-topic regarding invites, I'd just make it so that you can buy the cars outright at any time, but the invite would let you get a steep discount on it - if not let you get it from Brand Central for free in any color you want. In the meantime, I'm almost a bit glad I haven't received a Ferrari invite yet, as I don't think I have enough credits to buy the Enzo/LaFerrari/FXXK all at once yet. I do think I have almost every other invite-only car, and I even won a Huayra via one of the core menus. I mean, I like the concept of the invites, just not the execution. I think it might be practical to just get rid of it, as far as GT7 goes.
 
Last edited:
It matters only from the perspective of expectation, what you expect form a free puzzle game on a news site is not and should not be what you expect from a AAA game.
Also, Wordle's entire point was a single daily word that's the same for everyone so that you can share your result across social media. The entire game mechanic revolved around daily engagement.

And even then there's plenty of mods and knock-offs that people made to let them run through as many word puzzles as they liked whenever they liked. I.e. diehard fans of the free daily word puzzle game made their own versions of it to escape the daily login mechanic.

For me, having a daily login incentive (especially one with content locked exclusively behind it) really cheapens the feel of AAA games like GT7. It's something I associate with opening up an ad-ridden mobile game to collect free coins on my daily commute.
 
That’s why I was expecting some go to races. I loved the 300km races, Tuning Car Grand Prix and DTM races from the past games. Those weren’t races I grounded for credits. They were genuine races I enjoyed playing over and over.
Other challenges were the TT tests like the F1 GTR at Citta d’Aria. The course itself was challenging. Having to use the F1 made it an insane test of reflexes. Watching the replay was heaven.
 
The calculation I saw that said it would take centuries to get all parts is completely incorrect, though it would take a fair amount of time lol
I won't disregard the possibility of the calculation being wrong. Maybe I did miss some figure or something.

However, after you stated that it is completely wrong, and also saying that it takes a "fair time", meaning that you actually know how much it takes, then please, educate me on this.

And even if it turns down from "centuries" to "decades" (I mean, I can't be that wrong...), you saying it's a "fair amount of time", is the understatement of the year, and in my eyes, a clear sign of you being biased to this game and not recognizing the flaws in it.
Having to play, every single day, the same game, for 10 years+ just to have the POSSIBILITY that you can win every part in the game from the roulette, is absolute bollocks game design and there's not a single argument for that.

As for the invitations. They are obviously much lower, but again, given it's RNG, it's still incredibly unpredictable and can lead to huge frustration that you simply cannot control.
One thing is "get better", another is, "try the slot machine next time". I certainly abide by the former, as all common sense should point to in a game like Gran Turismo.

I stated already, I am yet to get a LEGIT Ferrari invitation and I've gotten the daily roulette tickets easily close to 300 days (I bought the game at launch).
300 tries... Yes, that's right. I'm just lucky the glitch happened and PD offered invites for a month (which are not part of the game's design=. I would've been screwed otherwise.
 
Last edited:
How about those Atlanta trees? Where would you say they fit in the tree tier list?
 
Before I dig into this, you don't mind the roulette in the game?
I've always found the roulette in GT7 to be a bit weird but it has some positives.

The weird part is that it isn't very realistic. IRL you don't get a random reward after a race. It's also annoying that the reward is often the lowest prize available.

One positive, for me, are that sometimes you win something worthwhile. Today I got a million credits. Earlier in the week I got a Tomahawk. If you have a mindset that you probably won't get much from the roulette then anything you do get is a positive.

The randomness can take you in unexpected directions, like dropping a car that you hadn't planned on buying. Sometimes randomness is an opportunity.

The other thing going for it is that it's been a part of GT for some time. I've been playing GT since the first playstation one game, and some things like the car wash I just accept as part of the quirks of GT.

so yes when it comes to the roulette I don't mind it

For me, having a daily login incentive (especially one with content locked exclusively behind it) really cheapens the feel of AAA games like GT7. It's something I associate with opening up an ad-ridden mobile game to collect free coins on my daily commute.
Ah, that explains it. I don't spend time on ad ridden mobile games. I avoid them like the plague. I do spend regular time on things that I consider either fun or worthwhile, like practicing chess or personal development.

I don't mind the ten cars locked behind the invitation system because I don't need them instantly and I don't mind picking them up when they do become available.

I also don't see a difference between a game I paid £70 for and a free crossword or puzzle. All that matters for me is whether I am prepared to give up my time for a particular activity.

Maybe that explains our different points of view. We arrive at it from different perspectives - neither right or wrong.
 
Ah, that explains it. I don't spend time on ad ridden mobile games. I avoid them like the plague. I do spend regular time on things that I consider either fun or worthwhile, like practicing chess or personal development.
Lol. Personal development? Really? This post shows you have quite the work cut out for you. Stop gaslighting people and find other ways to make yourself feel better.
 
Just started recently and all I am winning in my higher star roulettes is invitations for cars that I cant buy and would certainly would never buy so early in the game. If the invitations didn't expire this would actually be an ok mechanism, but right now it just wastes my higher star roulettes for nothing. Just a bad game mechanic guided only by company greed.
 
I do spend regular time on things that I consider either fun or worthwhile, like practicing chess or personal development.
Possibly the singled greatest sentence I've ever read on GTP. I am in awe.

I do wonder how chess would play out if half your pawns needed to be invited onto the board with RNG rolls.
 
Last edited:
Possibly the singled greatest sentence I've ever read on GTP. I am in awe.

I do wonder how chess would play out if half your pawns needed to be invited onto the board with RNG rolls.
Glad you enjoyed it. It proves that we are not all the same, don't you think?

The invitation cars account for 10 cars (I think) out of a total of 450+ cars in the game. So if you don't pick any of them up you've still got 440+ to choose from. In playing the game for nearly a year I think I've had one of every brand invitation and I've bought 8 of the ten cars as I've gone along.

I'm fine with that. YMMV
 
Horizon Forbidden West is being added to the PlayStation Plus Game Catalogue in February. Next in line would be GT7…if Sony are going by release date. Then again, Ratchet & Clank hasn’t yet been added.

 
Horizon Forbidden West is being added to the PlayStation Plus Game Catalogue in February. Next in line would be GT7…if Sony are going by release date. Then again, Ratchet & Clank hasn’t yet been added.


Most likely this is a bit of extra advertising for the Horizon VR game out next week and the flat game DLC due in April.
Looking ahead, GT7 may get added to PS Plus when the movie is due out.
 
Brake bias and aero changes allowed when other tuning off in next gtws races (also round1 still not showed) so probably next update is not only psvr2 support.
 
Also first race in Manufacturers series has TBC as track. Grand Valley? :D
Could be... or Apricot Hill... or the Nurburgring layouts... I just watched a video from a Spanish YouTuber who thinks that a new track would be added in this update as the TBC track.
 
Could be... or Apricot Hill... or the Nurburgring layouts... I just watched a video from a Spanish YouTuber who thinks that a new track would be added in this update as the TBC track.
I do really hope that it will be completely new track not layouts :) Fictional or real doesn't matter I love them all :D
 
I do really hope that it will be completely new track not layouts :) Fictional or real doesn't matter I love them all :D
The Nurburg GP layouts would be most likely (and most disappointing) as we know they are coming.
 
The Nurburg GP layouts would be most likely (and most disappointing) as we know they are coming.
If they will come along side with Nurburgring Endurance events than it will be good enough ;)
 
Horizon Forbidden West is being added to the PlayStation Plus Game Catalogue in February. Next in line would be GT7…if Sony are going by release date. Then again, Ratchet & Clank hasn’t yet been added.


This is just for promoting the Horizon game, the Call of the Mountain vr2 game and the DLC what comes in april.
 
Back