Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 38,938 comments
Three of the games it went up against are unremarkable annual releases. GT only gets released two or three times per decade, so no wonder it took the award when you also consider its well above average budget. The lame circumstances of the category just worked in favor of GT7. Hardly a quality stamp.

Three of the games it went up against are unremarkable annual releases. GT only gets released two or three times per decade, so no wonder it took the award when you also consider its well above average budget. The lame circumstances of the category just worked in favor of GT7. Hardly a quality stamp.

Like I said, win by default. It wasn't really a competition.

Last edited:
Well damn, I guess for once Sony bothered to actually throw enough cash for GT to win one of these.

Let's be honest: Its more likely The fans didn't decide this (Despite the "Voting", which merely existed to make people feel like they decided). EA got outbidded (which is amazing considering they had technically 2 games nominated), 2K got outbidded (So much for those shark cards, eh?) and...the fact I have no idea who that other one was should tell you something.

I do enjoy the fact that the guy who hated this game so bad had to literally watch this happen before his eyes so its time to whip this bad boy out:

giphy.gif

Well damn, I guess for once Sony bothered to actually throw enough cash for GT to win one of these.

Let's be honest: Its more likely The fans didn't decide this (Despite the "Voting", which merely existed to make people feel like they decided). EA got outbidded (which is amazing considering they had technically 2 games nominated), 2K got outbidded (So much for those shark cards, eh?) and...the fact I have no idea who that other one was should tell you something.

I do enjoy the fact that the guy who hated this game so bad had to literally watch this happen before his eyes so its time to whip this bad boy out:

View attachment 1214402
Yeah the awards are decided by 90% the jury panel (basically press and certain key figures of the industry) and 10% by player votes. The only real risk for it winning was OlliOlli World but looks like it managed to pull ahead.

I must be missing something, why aren't Grid Legends and WRC Generations nominated?

Not sure about Grid Legends (Though I'd wager fans wouldn't have cared), but WRC Generations might've been released abit too late to be considered.

Last edited:
Anyone else find it ironic that Kaz acknowledged GT7 winning a game award despite the fact Kaz said he didn't consider PD as game designers?

I guess it's easy to pick and choose so long as it benefits you.

Anyone else find it ironic that Kaz acknowledged GT7 winning a game award despite the fact Kaz said he didn't consider PD as game designers?

I guess it's easy to pick and choose so long as it benefits you.
I feel like even he himself didn't even bother with it...like just someone told him "Come dude, go write a tweet real quick" and it's done.

Interesting to note the new HFW DLC is PS5 only. Despite the title also releasing on PS4. I believe this is the first example of Sony cutting DLC support for PS4 while continuing with PS5.

"To achieve this grand vision technically and creatively, we’ve made the difficult decision to focus all our efforts on making an incredible experience exclusively for PS5".

This is single-player DLC, so a little different to GT7 with the multiplayer aspect. But it wouldn’t now surprise me to see a PS5 only Spec 2. We already know PSVR2 won’t work on PS4.

Last edited:
Interesting to note the new HFW DLC is PS5 only. Despite the title also releasing on PS4. I believe this is the first example of Sony cutting DLC support for PS4 while continuing with PS5.

"To achieve this grand vision technically and creatively, we’ve made the difficult decision to focus all our efforts on making an incredible experience exclusively for PS5".

This is single-player DLC, so a little different to GT7 with the multi-player aspect. But it wouldn’t now surprise me to see a PS5 only Spec 2. We already know PSVR2 won’t work on PS4.
Horizon Forbidden west is a technically very advanced game but certain components have been noted to have been limited by the need for it to work on the 9 year old PS4 hardware.
From what they have shown, this DLC, being exclusive to PS5, has allowed the evolution of volumetric cloud technology of the Decima engine to be implemented.
Keep in mind that this cloud technology was created for the 2011 film Rio. A film for which each frame required multiple hours of rendering on farms of dedicated graphics equipment. It's practically impossible that technologies like that could be implemented on the hardware of a home console that came out 2 years later.
In addition, the trailer shows that they have significantly expanded the flight speed, which was limited by the streaming capacity of PS4, and have included a battle with a Horus in real time, a robot 300 meters long and 90 meters high with hundreds of Mobile parts.

One would have to wonder what Polyphony could do with a GT not limited by PS4. If you were to implement VRR and dynamic rescaling technologies, using ray tracing for real-time global illumination, shadows and reflections for 60fps seems quite within reach.
What I would like to see are techniques similar to UE5's Nanite and Virtual Shadow Maps that should be able to significantly increase the resources for the scenery (and yes, allow all the trees and bushes to finally be 3D even in the distance) and avoid the popping.
In addition, these new technologies could reduce development time by not needing to spend time baking lights and creating alternative low LOD models.

Horizon Forbidden west is a technically very advanced game but certain components have been noted to have been limited by the need for it to work on the 9 year old PS4 hardware.
From what they have shown, this DLC, being exclusive to PS5, has allowed the evolution of volumetric cloud technology of the Decima engine to be implemented.
Keep in mind that this cloud technology was created for the 2011 film Rio. A film for which each frame required multiple hours of rendering on farms of dedicated graphics equipment. It's practically impossible that technologies like that could be implemented on the hardware of a home console that came out 2 years later.
In addition, the trailer shows that they have significantly expanded the flight speed, which was limited by the streaming capacity of PS4, and have included a battle with a Horus in real time, a robot 300 meters long and 90 meters high with hundreds of Mobile parts.

One would have to wonder what Polyphony could do with a GT not limited by PS4. If you were to implement VRR and dynamic rescaling technologies, using ray tracing for real-time global illumination, shadows and reflections for 60fps seems quite within reach.
What I would like to see are techniques similar to UE5's Nanite and Virtual Shadow Maps that should be able to significantly increase the resources for the scenery (and yes, allow all the trees and bushes to finally be 3D even in the distance) and avoid the popping.
In addition, these new technologies could reduce development time by not needing to spend time baking lights and creating alternative low LOD models.
Many of the graphical upgrades could work across PS4 & PS5. There’s a night and day difference between the latest tracks, such as Road Atlanta, and what appears to be a straight GTS port in Le Mans. Particularly quality of foliage and textures.

But there’s also diminishing returns in supporting the PS4 market. It will take ever more development resources to scale assets & effects to give acceptable performance on PS4. PD’s technical focus will now be maximising PS5, PC & PSVR2. As with any PC release, that community will expect plenty graphical & performance options. Increasingly the console market also want options like 120fps & VRR.

There's no way in Hell that this was a coincidence:
  • Start up GT7
  • Roam around Brand Central for cars to buy and tune up
  • Land on Aston Martin and stumble upon the Invitation cars
  • Have a stupid idea that if I add one of the cars (in this case, the Vulcan) to my Wish List, maybe I'll get an Invitation eventually
  • Play GT7, complete Daily Workout
  • Get 4-star ticket
  • Redeem
  • Result:
Gran Turismo® 7_20221209092533.jpg

No way. There's no way the game was being this nice to me, right? After I was just complaining about Invitations a few days ago or so... :lol:

• Start up GT7
  • Roam around Brand Central for cars to buy and tune up
  • Land on Aston Martin and stumble upon the Invitation cars
  • Have a stupid idea that if I add one of the cars (in this case, the Vulcan) to my Wish List, maybe I'll get an Invitation eventually
  • Play GT7, complete Daily Workout
  • Get 4-star ticket
  • Redeem
  • Result:
View attachment 1214526

No way. There's no way the game was being this nice to me, right? After I was just complaining about Invitations a few days ago or so... :lol:
My god i need that invitation, the Aston cars are the only ones what i can't bought yet

Last edited:
I must be missing something, why aren't Grid Legends and WRC Generations nominated?
Actually that's a good point. Grid Legends is a lot better than most of what's on that list.

I don't know what it's like on a steering wheel because I don't have a wheel on xbox, but I think it's code masters best work since Grid Autosport, or maybe f1 2017. The career mode is actually fun and the AI is actually pretty good most of the time.

GT7 is still the best game in the category by a mile in my opinion but wrc and Grid deserved nominations over the other games in the category.

I got a birthday gift car a week early on both of my accounts. One was gr3 Aston Martin, the other the 917 Living Legend.

It’s happened before. The FFVII Remake Intermission DLC was also PS5 exclusive.
FFVII isn’t a Sony 1st party title and the remake released some 6 months before PS5 launched. IMO, it’s quite the about turn to cut support for PS4 just 9 months after HFW released.

As stated above, the situation is more complicated given the multiplayer aspect of GT7. But given Sony’s recent history I can see them pushing a new GT7 release tailored for PS5/PSVR2/PC. Whether existing owners have to pay for the upgrade is another matter!

MMX
I got a birthday gift car a week early on both of my accounts. One was gr3 Aston Martin, the other the 917 Living Legend.
Yeah that normal for GT7, you get the ticket early and can redeem it for a couple of weeks after. I did miss mine, I didn't boot the game up for the entire month. Not that I missed out, I didn't boot it up because I had no interest in playing it then.

Back