Gran Turismo 7 Players Will Be Able to Feel Anti-Lock Brakes With the DualSense Controller

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 7' started by GTPNewsWire, Aug 21, 2020.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

Noname0529, ProjectF, rhalgr and 5 others like this.
  2. Ant78

Ant78

You didn't mention this exciting bit.......

PlayStation VR 2 could fuel the future of Gran Turismo
    In a roundable interview with GT Planet, Gran Turismo series creator Kazunori Yamauchi revealed that, when it comes to harnessing the power of next-gen consoles, Polyphony Digital's focus is primarily on VR.

“The first thing that’s going to be affected by more power is VR,” Yamauchi told GT Planet. “I don’t think that there’s anything else that requires that much processing power. I really like VR; I’m one to believe in the possibilities of it, and it’s very suited for a driving game.”

As Gran Turismo is a PlayStation exclusive series, it's likely that the future of the racing franchise will be fuelled by PlayStation VR and its likely successor: PlayStation VR 2. We did see a trailer for Gran Turismo 7 during Sony's PS5 games reveal event, but no VR footage was shown or hinted at.

While Sony hasn't officially confirmed that PSVR 2 is in development, Yamauchi's comments suggest that the company will be leaning into VR in a big way when it comes to the upcoming PS5.

“VR is something that really depends on the evolution of GPU power, and the hardware for it, like display devices even," Yamauchi continued. "It’s something where you can never have enough computing power; there’s always going to be that hardware limit, and that limit is never going to be high enough for us! Obviously that’s going to gradually improve over time and we’ll make sure to follow that.”

Fingers crossed for all of the VR fans!

jagenigma and MrCrynox like this.
  3. Famine

Famine Administrator

ProjectF, JTB10000, Auditore and 9 others like this.
  4. XSquareStickIt

XSquareStickIt

I am ready to die in my Viper.

ProjectF, HarVee, o9lifted and 12 others like this.
  5. Ant78

Ant78

Coquico likes this.
  6. Darla Starch

Darla Starch Premium

The only safety assist you need in a Viper is the fear of death.

7. astrarobotica

astrarobotica

Will the ABS uhh... actually function like the system does in real life this time?

Jaykos and brocp like this.
  8. Shofast

Shofast

You mean the same feeling I had on Forza 5? Haptics in the triggers nearly 10 years after Xbox had it on dev kits.
    I dont own an single Xbox though. All Sony since 1995

Aiado and valis1 like this.
  9. 261004

You mean.... dying of death? ;)

@Famine Is this for R2 and L2 only? Because at the end of the day, I’ll still use X and Square.

Darla Starch likes this.
  10. rideontwo

rideontwo

So will there be analog controls, i.e. modulate throttle and braking. Or, will we have the same silly on/off only controls like GT Sport?

11. Bloodytears

Bloodytears Premium

My only hope in this regard, that I will be able to tune breaks pressure, abs is meh:)

12. Samus

Samus

Obviously, you can't create haptic feedback on a digital on/off button.

Time to move into the future, it's not 1997 any more.

FoRiZon and HarVee like this.
  13. SuperKlonoaGT

SuperKlonoaGT

Well, obviously. But let's not ignore the fact that there are still a lot of disabled people out there who can't reach the triggers, including me. =/

Just saying, man.

14. Samus

Samus

Sure, obviously it's not a choice for everyone, appreciate that. But I can't fathom why people who can don't even give it a fair try. Controlling a car with the triggers is far, far easier than face buttons, especially since they made the face buttons on/off digital with DS4.

15. HarVee

HarVee

I've been using the stick since GT5. Never found the triggers as enjoyable.

16. 05XR8

05XR8

Just moving my post in here.

dlshearon likes this.
  17. ReverbRacing84

ReverbRacing84 Premium

Sounds good to me.

Auto motors likes this.
  18. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

I too agree with this notion but then again you can't speak for everyone and say that it's best full stop.

This new controller is one of the most exciting aspects of the PS5, something which will radically alter the experience for everyone. I play GT Sport and think, "how the hell can they improve on this?" because it already feels quite responsive. I can't even begin to imagine what the DualSense controller will feel like to use. Adaptive triggers will allow PD to explore a wide range of throttle and brake settings akin to each car's individual characteristics - an old car with hydraulic linkages will tend to have a "heavier" brake and throttle, whilst a more modern car which uses electronic systems will have a "lighter" brake and throttle. So you won't just be able to hear and see the car's individual characteristics, but FEEL it.

The PS5 really will be the complete package.

Bush_Killa-73 likes this.
  19. XSquareStickIt

XSquareStickIt

Rather than how the triggers feel with ABS, I'd be more interested in how the triggers feel without ABS. Hopefully threshold braking will finally be possible, and we can drive older cars without ABS the way they are meant to be driven.

Jaykos and LeGeNd-1 like this.
  20. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Yep, I have single-handly left behind the ol' X and Square buttons this gen because of how much easier Throttle control and Brake input is with Triggers. Does mean that should I go back to playing older games that don't reconize wheels, I am screwed :lol:

21. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

I'm wondering if Thrustmaster/Fanatec will sell a haptic enabled pedals too, or people will try make their own mod based off the information provided to the DS5 triggers.

Anyway, most important thing is for PD to fix the ABS OFF implementation first. Also make the clutch progressive instead of on/off. Then worry about haptic feedback and VR eye candy stuff.

XSquareStickIt likes this.
  22. Auditore

Auditore

If if i drive a ford pinto in gt7 will the controller explode?
    What the ps5 has is triggers that can harden and lock themselves on the fly if the game demands it and individual rumble motors that can vibrate in different parts of the controller(instead of the usual vibration in the whole controller),xbox has rumble in the triggers called impulse triggers a type of haptic feedback but it's rudimentary compared to what ps5 is doing.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    JD_18 likes this.
  23. TS050

TS050 Premium

Wait, people actually still use X and Square?

In 2020?

HarVee likes this.
  24. 261004

Believe it or not, when I used the triggers in GT Sport, I literally can’t go beyond 220 KILOMETERS AN HOUR!

They’re busted.

25. ivann

ivann

how many kilograms of force will triggers withstand?

26. SuperKlonoaGT

SuperKlonoaGT

X and O, for me. And also because of what I said earlier about me and others being disabled. So as long as disabled people exist, there will always be a need for accessibility.

Sure, the buttons aren't anywhere near as accurate as the triggers, but I still managed to grab a few podiums and wins in the Sport Mode daily races. =P

George Jakob and curtis 1-8-7 like this.
  27. TS050

TS050 Premium

This is one of those issues that would be solved by buying another controller

In this case, it’s completely understandable - and on that note, Sony should release some kind of peripheral for accessibility. Something along the lines of the Xbox Adaptive Controller

28. Samus

Samus

It is factually better. The triggers have a large amount of variable analog travel like real pedals to be able to vary your inputs. The face buttons do not, they are either 100% or 0%.

Whether a person prefers using one or the other is up to them (and again I acknowledge those that physically can't) but its undeniable which method offers more control.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  29. MroczMR

MroczMR

As long as this is an option. Then people could even drive on d-pad if they like this :D

30. juanffy18

juanffy18

I used it some months ago when the R2 of my both controllers broke, but well is really strange to use it, because obviously the game is programed for R2 and L2, with out ABS and with square is impossible and with X the throtle is difficult to manage.