Gran Turismo 7 Rumored as PlayStation 5 Launch Title

Well I think it would be GT8 actually. GT Sport could be considered GT7. FM8 is coming soon so GT8 would be reasonable...

But if someone new to the GT series were to search "Gran Turismo 7", as they would 1-6, they would get results for Sport, and that is pretty confusing if Polyphony is gonna go back to the numbered trend.

This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Kyle Patrick (@SlipZtrEm) on April 16th, 2019 in the Gran Turismo 7 category.

Here's a crazy theory of mine that would confirm this (in some way, take it seriously or not)

GT5 was released in 2010, and GT6 was released in 2013, 3 years after GT5
With GT6, PD ripped a lot of models from GT5 into 6. Same thing with some PS2 cars from GT4 to GT5.

When PD was making Sport, they had to redo the car models. Now, I once read that the models in Sport are originally so detailed they could be ripped into the PS5 game.

Now the final piece of the puzzle. Sport was released in 2017, and the new game would release in 2020, 3 years later.
GT7 would be a game coming 3 years after its predecessor, with cars ripped from it. Add the 8k and ray tracing demos and it's clear PD have something in the works.

Just a thought I had, lol :lol::confused:

Here's a crazy theory of mine that would confirm this (in some way, take it seriously or not)

With GT6, PD ripped a lot of models from GT5 into 6. Same thing with some PS2 cars from GT4 to GT5.

When PD was making Sport, they had to redo the car models. Now, I once read that the models in Sport are originally so detailed they could be ripped into the PS5 game.

Now the final piece of the puzzle. Sport was released in 2017, and the new game would release in 2020, 3 years later.
GT7 would be a game coming 3 years after its predecessor, with cars ripped from it. Add the 8k and ray tracing demos and it's clear PD have something in the works.

I am pretty sure many people are aware of it in some way or form but you put it into more details.

It is not a crazy theory you got there, in fact it is a very good theory 👍.

My sources tell me that some form of Gran Turismo will be released on the PS5 platform but that there is no expected release date at this time. They also tell the name will be Gran Turismo Sport II, Gran Turismo 7, or even possibly Gran Turismo The Ocho.

At this time personally I will not expect anything from Ployphony for the PS5 platform other than it is highly unlikely that the penalty system or AI will ever be improved upon from GTS, this way I will not be disappointed when nothing is mentioned about the next release in the series or implementation of features.

My sources tell me that some form of Gran Turismo will be released on the PS5 platform but that there is no expected release date at this time. They also tell the name will be Gran Turismo Sport II, Gran Turismo 7, or even possibly Gran Turismo The Ocho.

At this time personally I will not expect anything from Ployphony for the PS5 platform other than it is highly unlikely that the penalty system or AI will ever be improved upon from GTS, this way I will not be disappointed when nothing is mentioned about the next release in the series or implementation of features.
And your sources are?

It's not really a "crazy" theory... just a common sense 👍

Let me throw you a wrench at your theory:

It would seem that every reboot for a new PS console, PD would have some sort of pre game:

For the PS2:
We had GT Concept before the full game GT3.

For the PS3:
We had GT5 Prologue before the full game GT5.

For the PS5:
We are having GTS on the PS4 as a stepping stone before the full game GT7

:sly:

Come at me bro :cheers:

I would expect Gran Turismo 7 to come out in 2020 since the GT sport updates have slowed down a lot and I believe that they would need to do something to keep people playing the game. The last track that was added in the game was more than half a year ago. Also they promised the Lamborghini VGT that was supposed to be added in the game this Spring but it never came. It seems to me that they don’t care about GT SPORT anymore (which is actually a good thing in my opinion)

I would expect Gran Turismo 7 to come out in 2020 since the GT sport updates have slowed down a lot and I believe that they would need to do something to keep people playing the game. The last track that was added in the game was more than half a year ago. Also they promised the Lamborghini VGT that was supposed to be added in the game this Spring but it never came. It seems to me that they don’t care about GT SPORT anymore (which is actually a good thing in my opinion)

GT7 will be released and available at the earliest for December 2020...

At the latest December 2021.

That's would be my logical prediction.

As for GTS, I think it truly has still life for about two years, probably ending sometimes in 2022, unless PD merges the functionality of GTS into GT7 earlier than that in 2021...

Now that I think about it, my theory is that PD somehow will allow people with GTS on PS4 to play against people who has GT7 on PS5...

It's a crazy theory, but I think that would partially breath new life onto GTS and allow for some overlap while people slowly upgrades to the PS5...

For the time being, I think PD has until the end of the month to release the Lambo VGT, it's getting very long on the tooth now...Summer on the Northern side is the 22 of June...

Decent speculation for sure. A couple of things to note:

The fully detailed car models in GT Sport (the ones in brand central) are so detailed that the PS5 will not be able to run them in game on track... not even close. So all the GT Sport models will be good for this new generation and likely the PS6 as well. They can use a new LOD that gives better visuals but does not require building new cars. Kaz said this himself when GT Sport was being introduced.

The timing question for release of a new title gets tricky to predict due to the amount of content PD released post launch for GT Sport. Most other racing game developers who launched a game in 2017 could be ready to launch their sequel in 2020. That is exactly what Turn 10 will be doing. But PD is notoriously detail oriented and relatively slow. Add to that, they released a lot of cars and tracks in 2018 and 2019..... so did they have the bandwidth to create a new title and have it ready for the PS5 launch at the same time they were filling out GT Sport content?

So there you have it... the first point makes it easier to have a new title ready but the second one would tell us not to expect a 2020 release. I do hope we see the next GT tomorrow in some fashion but I am skeptical they will release anything this year. It is PD after all, lol. Maybe a GT7 prologue title in 2020? That might be the most I can hope for. Prove me wrong PD!

Hopefully we'll know tomorrow.

The timing question for release of a new title gets tricky to predict due to the amount of content PD released post launch for GT Sport. Most other racing game developers who launched a game in 2017 could be ready to launch their sequel in 2020. That is exactly what Turn 10 will be doing. But PD is notoriously detail oriented and relatively slow. Add to that, they released a lot of cars and tracks in 2018 and 2019..... so did they have the bandwidth to create a new title and have it ready for the PS5 launch at the same time they were filling out GT Sport content?

PD don’t need 100% of their workforce working on GT Sport DLC/Additional content. They very well could have been developing another game the second GTS was on shelves while leaving a portion of the workforce to work on the DLC

PD don’t need 100% of their workforce working on GT Sport DLC/Additional content. They very well could have been developing another game the second GTS was on shelves while leaving a portion of the workforce to work on the DLC

That's what many developers do. But let's admit that PD are slow. They are super detailed and I really appreciate that but it means a longer wait for titles. I think Turn 10 aggressively outsources car creation and that speeds up development. I am guessing PD does not outsource nearly as much.

I know they were way behind in getting their assets into HD quality and that was a prime reason we only had one GT title for the PS4. They did it right and future proofed the cars but we only received one title in 6.5 years of the PS4 era. That's the bad news.

The good news is we can hope they give us GT Next early in the PS5 lifecycle because they have only made one game in 7 years so you would think they are ready now with GT Next. I really hope they are. But the difference between them and Turn 10 is that we can be 90% sure Forza 8 will be ready to launch this fall, 3 years after Forza 7. With PD, we have to pray, do a rain dance and then drink a bottle of wine before we can dare hope they are ready to release GTNext this year, 3 years after GT Sport.

That's what many developers do. But let's admit that PD are slow. They are super detailed and I really appreciate that but it means a longer wait for titles. I think Turn 10 aggressively outsources car creation and that speeds up development. I am guessing PD does not outsource nearly as much.

I know they were way behind in getting their assets into HD quality and that was a prime reason we only had one GT title for the PS4. They did it right and future proofed the cars but we only received one title in 6.5 years of the PS4 era. That's the bad news.

The good news is we can hope they give us GT Next early in the PS5 lifecycle because they have only made one game in 7 years so you would think they are ready now with GT Next. I really hope they are. But the difference between them and Turn 10 is that we can be 90% sure Forza 8 will be ready to launch this fall, 3 years after Forza 7. With PD, we have to pray, do a rain dance and then drink a bottle of wine before we can dare hope they are ready to release GTNext this year, 3 years after GT Sport.

The average time between GT games is 3-4 years, with GT5 being the outlier. Forza games come quicker due to the alternation of studios (Playground work on Horizon, Turn 10 work on Motorsport), as well as outsourcing. It’s relatively well known that PD have been heavily outsourcing for a while now.

GT6 released right at the end of the PS3s lifecycle, and right at the beginning of the PS4s - it couldn’t easily be ported to the PS4 due to the architecture of the consoles being so different, which is part of the reason why it took an additional 4 years (the average time, including a years delay) to get a GT title on current gen, not to mention the time taken the future proof the models.

Considering the pattern they displayed before GT5 released (releasing one game earlier in the lifecycle of a console and another later on), and the criticism they received for releasing GT6 on older hardware, I assume they’ve probably learned from their past mistakes (hopefully) and are getting set to release the next game in the series quite early in the PS5s lifecycle.

That doesn’t even mention that we know of models that have been scanned but don’t seem to be going to GTS due to Kaz himself stating that updates would be modest for this year (we’ve had about 5 or 6 cars added to the game so far this year, with us knowing of 3 more that are set to come before the end of the year)

Yes, its obvious to even a casual observer they are working on the next title. If it will release this year is another matter.

Back