Gran Turismo 7 Rumored as PlayStation 5 Launch Title

Polyphony can't afford to make Prologues anymore.

This is the best scenario for a full big game like GT5 again.

That's why they made it so E Sports focused. So that it wasn't just a prolong, it was a tool to make them E Sports contenders.

They won't have competing products on the same system releasing essentially at the same time, so IMO GTS on PS5 is doubtful.

GT5 went offline roughly 6 months after GT6, and GT6 went offline roughly 6 months after GTS.
So if PD stay the course, and GT7 is a launch title (say November 2020), I'd expect GTS to go offline May 2021

Are there any semblance of a Gran Turismo leaker? Someone that could give us hints this is true?
Amar is gone and there’s no other real insider posting here. Some bits leak thru the live events like a rough roadmap, but that’s it. And since there’s no live events planned for 2020, I don’t see many leaks happening in the near future.

Amar is gone and there’s no other real insider posting here. Some bits leak thru the live events like a rough roadmap, but that’s it. And since there’s no live events planned for 2020, I don’t see many leaks happening in the near future.
that sucks. What happened with Amar? I remember him posting on Era I think at some point, but I haven't read a post by him anywhere these days.
Im... hoping PD actually want to communicate with us this time.. their usual approach didn't set the world on fire with Sport sales.

Every time we've seen 'mistakes/leaks' like this, they have always come true.

Guys, GT7 can make PS5's launch.

#1 - Just think about it. Q4 2020 will have been 3 years since GT Sport was released. It took 4 years to go from GT6 to GT Sport, so one year less isnt insurmountable.

#2 - Also, it's very possible PD could ship a 'bare bones' GT7 Q4 2020 and then update it steadily over the next 6-7 years of the PS5's lifespan. So theres no pressure to launch the game with loads and loads of content and features.

#3 - PS5 is likely going to launch at $499 or higher. Sony is going to need huge games on the system soon in order to get people to buy it, especially in this economy. For me personally, GT7 being a launch title means Im preordering the PS5 as soon as its possible to. If GT7 is not a launch title, it will probably be the first Playstation console launch I skip since....PS1.

Even its unlikely it really comes this way - I am sooooo hoping that you are right :dopey:

that sucks. What happened with Amar? I remember him posting on Era I think at some point, but I haven't read a post by him anywhere these days.
Im... hoping PD actually want to communicate with us this time.. their usual approach didn't set the world on fire with Sport sales.

He posted on Era pretty recently regarding the whole Next Level Racing situation - he said that he knows as much as we do

He posted on Era pretty recently regarding the whole Next Level Racing situation - he said that he knows as much as we do
K, thanks, actually didn't know that. Weird how tight lipped things are over at PS HQ.. I know Thuway at some point before Sport was announced also knew details about it, he hasn't said anything either.

All we know is.. Kaz said updates will become modest.. and the game is quite old now.. something must be brewing.

If what we're all expecting, PS5=GT7, if GT7 is on time, so is PS5.

But GT is never on time.
lol I remember hoping we'd get GT2000/GT3 at launch.. and they didn't end up making PS2 launch. Hell.. the E3 1999 I think.. the journalists were shocked that while at E3, PD had to finish adding wheels to cars in the demo 24 hours before the game had to be shown off to the public/press. PD and time management.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any semblance of a Gran Turismo leaker? Someone that could give us hints this is true?
There are very few people in the know when it comes to Polyphony. Jordan can tease but will never leak anything for obvious reasons (and it's a matter of respect by the way for Poly).

A year ago, I found actual evidence that "Gran Turismo 7" was in development. And guess what? No insider, leaker or media reported that. However, they all reported that "leaked" logo.
The PS5 reveal is hopefully very soon!

There are very few people in the know when it comes to Polyphony. Jordan can tease but will never leak anything for obvious reasons (and it's a matter of respect by the way for Poly).

A year ago, I found actual evidence that "Gran Turismo 7" was in development. And guess what? No insider, leaker or media reported that. However, they all reported that "leaked" logo.
Mmmm... interesting. What did you find?

I hope we do get GT7 at launch.. I mean, PD was certainly working on PS5 dev kits considering a version of Sport running on it last October Cerny interview with Wired.

If it's a launch title, the FIA championships will be "empty"... If it's cross-gen, the pilots on PS5 may have advantages over PS4...

If it's a launch title, the FIA championships will be "empty"... If it's cross-gen, the pilots on PS5 may have advantages over PS4...
Not really. Took a good while to get FIA up and running. I don't know how long it took to generate large sales from GTS debut to GTS with GT League content to GTS when FIA was in full swing.

Whatever "Sport Mode" is named in GT7, it'll probably be the same amount of numbers now. This is with people still at home, mind you.

If what we're all expecting, PS5=GT7, if GT7 is on time, so is PS5.

But GT is never on time.
GT6 was on time.

I mean, I’ve heard PD’s staff mentioning GT7 explicitly at a live event back in February 2019 so its development is basically confirmed long time, just not publicly revealed. From what I’ve heard they seemed pretty confident with late 2020 launch.

Last edited:
Not really. Took a good while to get FIA up and running. I don't know how long it took to generate large sales from GTS debut to GTS with GT League content to GTS when FIA was in full swing.
Yes, but that on an installed base of 100 million PS4... Imagine if it is an exclusive title of next generation. How many PS5 do you think will be in the homes in the first quarter of 2021? Or do you think there will be no championship in 2021?

Yes, but that on an installed base of 100 million PS4... Imagine if it is an exclusive title of next generation. How many PS5 do you think will be in the homes in the first quarter of 2021? Or do you think there will be no championship in 2021?
That's what I'm saying. It could be the same time frame as GTS debut thru the debut of FIA.
I don't think PD are looking at waiting until 100mil people buy a PS5. Even with 100mil people using a PS4, Sport Mode numbers are already low.

FIA Championships only need 24-48 players anyway. I'm sure in that context, an FIA Championship could still happen. Next year or not.

As for normal Sport Mode, maybe the amount equaling the number of original beta players? Again, I don't know any numbers from GTS debut to when people wanted to buy GTS because of GT League DLC thru FIA debut.

Last edited:
From what I’ve heard they seemed pretty confident with late 2020 launch.

A late 2020 launch makes a lot of sense.

Consider that Sony have had an exclusive racing game to go alongside their gaming consoles during the release window. The PS2 had Ridge Racer 5 (and GT3 a few months later), the PS3 had Ridge Racer 7, and the PS4 had Driveclub during release year (though the initial plan was for it to be a launch title).

With the Ridge Racer name being unused for an extended period of time, and Evolution Studios no longer existing, they probably need another studio to have something ready in time...

I'm pretty sure that all the FIA competitions will move to the PS5. They want to make sure that everyone is on a level playing field.

A late 2020 launch makes a lot of sense.

Consider that Sony have had an exclusive racing game to go alongside their gaming consoles during the release window. The PS2 had Ridge Racer 5 (and GT3 a few months later), the PS3 had Ridge Racer 7, and the PS4 had Driveclub during release year (though the initial plan was for it to be a launch title).

With the Ridge Racer name being unused for an extended period of time, and Evolution Studios no longer existing, they probably need another studio to have something ready in time...

You forget the disasterious launch Driveclub had though. Also, I'm not so sure Sony necessarily NEED a Racing game as a launch title to move units consider many of their heavy hitters like Zero Dawn did that enough. Hell I think Gran Turismo isn't quite the system moving name it once was and I'm almost certain with the amount of big Exclusives Sony had, Gran Turismo might no longer be Priority one at Launch like some people want to believe.

You forget the disasterious launch Driveclub had though. Also, I'm not so sure Sony necessarily NEED a Racing game as a launch title to move units consider many of their heavy hitters like Zero Dawn did that enough. Hell I think Gran Turismo isn't quite the system moving name it once was and I'm almost certain with the amount of big Exclusives Sony had, Gran Turismo might no longer be Priority one at Launch like some people want to believe.

True, Gran Turismo isn't as big it was when GT5 launched with all this competition... But now is the best chance PD have to make a killer game.

GT6 was on time.
There's a bit of missing context here for that release, though: GT6 was going to come out that month, period, regardless of the state it was in. And that's basically what happened, to not put too fine a point on it. As it was Sony pushed it back as far as they probably could without running into inventory restocking issues before Christmas. If PD had managed to screw up that release date, Sony may very well have just cancelled the game outright on PS3 and moved it to PS4. It was one of the last major PS3 games in the PS3's last major holiday season, and Sony was basically offering it as such from the day it was first announced.

It's why seemingly everything that was criticized about GT6 while it was in its pre-release hype cycle was called a "placeholder" by PD that would be looked into later as damage control and why that phrase became such a joke when virtually none of it was; it's probably why the game released in a barebones state (again!) compared to the state GT5 had been built up to by that point; and it's almost certainly why the main feature that PD had sold people on as a reason to buy the game instead of keeping GT5 didn't come out until well over a year had passed since release (in an extremely stripped down, external implementation).

Back