Gran Turismo 7 Rumored as PlayStation 5 Launch Title

Cautiously optimistic. If PS5 is backwards compatible, I'd be more likely to spend $1,200 on a Fanatec DD wheel once I knew for sure it'd work with GTS and AC, etc.

Jerome

The more I think about a new GT game, the more I think it has to be a PS5 exclusive and not available for PS4, unless they cut some big features.

The PS5 would probably be able to run the game at a stable FPS while allowing dynamic weather and tod effects. This is a huge feature.

Also, the PS5 would probably allow for full lobbies in VR, which IMO could be a feature that sells not only the game and the console but also boosts the PSVR. We still don't have a confirmation of a second generation PSVR but it will happen for sure and the PS5 will probably have the hardware builted in to simply connect the headset.

These 2 features alone added to a GTSport type of game would make me buy the console, the game and the PSVR day 1.

But of course I have higher hopes for a new GT game. More cars, more tracks, improved livery creator, course creator etc.

Last edited:
It however has the problem of a much, much lower install base, which makes for a smaller number buying it at full price and a lower overall potential profit from it.

I personally believe that while PD and Sony like the marketing buzz the idea a launch GT title makes for a new console, they don't actually want to ever release a GT as a launch title.

Attach rate being higher for a longer time could make it just as well as prior mainline titles. GT is one of those games that keeps on selling for years to come so having a low install base at launch may not be as limiting.

I do think having a big exclusive at launch is iffy (could go either way), but near launch would be great as well. Fall 2021 (within 1 year) is ideal as well.

The more I think about a new GT game, the more I think it has to be a PS5 exclusive and not available for PS4, unless they cut some big features.

The PS5 would probably be able to run the game at a stable FPS while allowing dynamic weather and tod effects. This is a huge feature.

Also, the PS5 would probably allow for full lobbies in VR, which IMO could be a feature that sells not only the game and the console but also boosts the PSVR. We still don't have a confirmation of a second generation PSVR but it will happen for sure and the PS5 will probably have the hardware builted in to simply connect the headset.

These 2 features alone added to a GTSport type of game would make me buy the console, the game and the PSVR day 1.

But of course I have higher hopes for a new GT game. More cars, more tracks, improved livery creator, course creator etc.
The PS4 had a lot of potential but it's sad that it didn't at least get a good GT game like GT6. Instead, it got GT Sport, which is, let's be honest, apparently a scrimped or toned-down rendition of the usual older titles. Sure, it may have some new features that only debuted there but at the cost of more exciting older features. Maybe I just got used to playing the older titles so much so that's why I'm saying this lol. :lol:

Attach rate being higher for a longer time could make it just as well as prior mainline titles. GT is one of those games that keeps on selling for years to come so having a low install base at launch may not be as limiting.

I do think having a big exclusive at launch is iffy (could go either way), but near launch would be great as well. Fall 2021 (within 1 year) is ideal as well.
You missed the point.

GT title do have a long tail, but very, very little of that tail is at full retail, as a result lower sales numbers as a launch title limits potential profit over the life of the title.

MAybe the online feature crosses over. MOre so than GT LEague. I guess if it was like GTPSP and being able to add cars to GT5?

So there will be remastered versions of TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima?

Interesting.
Funny thing is, that's what I focused on, instead of GT7. TLOU2 is by far my most anticipated game, so with the leak suggesting it'll be a PS4 game first, is good news.

My wife just bought me the PS4 pro I have now 4 months ago. I mentioned to her the other day about the talks of ps5, she was straight up in saying. She's not buying another console anytime soon. :lol:

i honestly think this rumor is fake,PD can't make a full fledged game in 1 year while they are busy with GTS every month because of updates and the FIA Cup,unless GT7 is basically sport with a new name. Sony just confirmed it Backwards Compatibility with PS4 is happening so it's much more reasonable for PD to carry GTSport over to PS5 with a big update(like a Spec 2.0) and then they get some experience with the PS5 before going full steam on GT7 development.Pre production for the next GT is already happening(Kaz already said it) but 2020 is too close for the pace PD works.

As much as I would love for this to be true, my wallet will be very happy if the next GT game doesn't release until after a PS5 price drop and 8k TVs reach an affordable price point.

i honestly think this rumor is fake,PD can't make a full fledged game in 1 year while they are busy with GTS every month because of updates and the FIA Cup,unless GT7 is basically sport with a new name. Sony just confirmed it Backwards Compatibility with PS4 is happening so it's much more reasonable for PD to carry GTSport over to PS5 with a big update(like a Spec 2.0) and then they get some experience with the PS5 before going full steam on GT7 development.Pre production for the next GT is already happening(Kaz already said it) but 2020 is too close for the pace PD works.
Didn't Kaz say they were already starting on the next GT before GTS was launched?

PD and SCE have known about the PS5 for 4 years. The entirety of PD is not working on GTS DLC, it would be a minority. Next titles usually go into preproduction straight after or even before the release of a prior title.

GT7 releasing in 2020 would be a 3 year dev cycle, 2021 would be 4 year. I think it's definitely possible that GT7 will be coming sooner than later.

A minute to think about the fact The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tushinima are already listed as Remasters for the PS5.

Even before we don't know their release dates. LOL

Didn't Kaz say they were already starting on the next GT before GTS was launched?

No, just weeks after GTS launch they said they have "NO PLANS" for GT7.

Months later Kaz spoke of it being in development, will probably have "Customization parts" and "more offline focused".

Yeah... I've been around long enough to know that it all starts with rumors before "next-gen" and maybe after 4-5 years you'll see a new title.

I've moved on to PC long ago, but if PD releases a proper GT, then I will certainly get a PS5. The console actually looks very promising. What got me was the backwards compatibility.

Guys i don't know you, but im hyped af even if we've just had couple rumours about the game.

- A bigger list of cars
- A traditional offline mode (A-Spec maybe B-Spec)

If they could had more feature in the game like Goodwood, NASCAR, Top Gear or something like that and bring back a real custom car mode in the game (engine, exhaust, turbo, bodypart...)

I really want like everyone to put my hand on this game.

A minute to think about the fact The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tushinima are already listed as Remasters for the PS5.

Even before we don't know their release dates. LOL

In today’s Wired interview Mark Cerny basically confirmed late gen 1st party titles like Ghosts of Tsushima, The Last of Us 2 and Death Stranding would be cross-gen. Enhanced titles to take full advantage of PS5 beyond straightforward backwards compatibility. You would also think a number of older 1st party titles, like Spider-Man & God of War, would receive the same treatment.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/amp

You missed the point.

GT title do have a long tail, but very, very little of that tail is at full retail, as a result lower sales numbers as a launch title limits potential profit over the life of the title.
After today’s confirmation of hardware ray-tracing, the odd’s of GT7 being a PS5 launch window title, went up dramatically IMO. PD have already demo’d the tech and there would be no better title to show off one of PS5’s unique selling points.

I certainly believe Sony have learned their lesson to not release major titles on current gen hardware, as the new systems launch. True, the PS5 will have backwards compatibility. But a cross-gen GT7 would not be able to take advantage of the far more potent CPU to enhance physics simulation, increase grid sizes etc.

Plus, there are credible sources stating Sony only have one remaining AAA title to announce for PS4. Some say we may hear more in the next week or so. Every other 1st party studio is engaged on next-gen projects.

It seems most (if not all) of the content/assets in GTS is already ready to go for the next generation hardware, given the tech demos we’ve seen. It’s not hard to imagine PD pulling off a launch title this time around, and I hope they do (or at minimum put the next GT on the next system), because GT6 at the tail end of the PS3’s life was really disappointing. It felt much older than it was being so close to the launch of the new generation, not to mention all the hardware limitations. Hopefully PS5 hardware allows for dynamic time or weather in the engine they’ve built (assuming they’ll be carrying that over). There is a larger install base on the old system, but most of the time people don’t stick around for long when there’s a new platform to hop on.

I’m betting Sport Mode will remain a staple mode in the game regardless of what other content the game holds, just as open lobby did in the PS3 era onwards. The question becomes how it would be balanced with the rest of game. Will it provide some or all cars, or require you to own the vehicles that you enter? If there’s customization options beyond livery and wheels, will those be stripped away in Sport, or included in part of the BoP? Will we still have the N-class system, or will there be a PP system, or, will PP be used for offline content, and the Nxxx system used to classify and BoP cars in Sport Mode?

I’m excited either way, cuz even with all the controversy over the esports departure that GTS was, I feel it was executed fairly well (and I’m still enjoying the hell out of it), and PD looks to be on a good stable track for the future.

As I have been looking into the VR stuff pretty heavy recently and seeing the specs of the hardware to actually properly run VR and keep any of the eye candy and decent frame rates unless some type of major breakthrough is made concerning what it takes to run VR I hope people are not expecting the PS5 console to be much under a 1000.00 U.S.dollars using what VR currently demands both CPU and GPU wise.

Granted I do realize that Sony has sold Playstation consoles at a loss in the past as compared to what it cost to manufacture. This may be for Sony to deliver what they are saying will need to occur again.

Months later Kaz spoke of it being in development, will probably have "Customization parts" and "more offline focused".

tenor.gif

Oh, I thought he did. Oh well.
https://www.dualshockers.com/kazuno...-sport/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Asked whether there are already concrete plans for the next GT, he mentioned that he cannot say anything specific, but “from the moment he releases a Gran Turismo, he has started creating the next Gran Turismo.” About whether it’ll be called Gran Turismo 7 or not, he mentioned that he doesn’t know yet.

Back