Gran Turismo 7 Will Be More Like Classic GT Titles, Says Kazunori Yamauchi

I have a feeling a lot of games and updates are currently postponed due to lack of availability of consoles. Companys dont want to waste the marketing and hype as most are not able to buy a console for the game..

As one lucky owner of PS5, it feels like having this piece of great hardware without things to use it for.. so i would say people dont need to feel sorry if they havent been able to buy a PS5 yet. Theres not much to miss..

@Haitauer Where did you pre-order/buy your console? Prisma? Citymarket? Gigantti or some other place? And disc version or digital version and what was the price? PM or visit the 2021 Imsa thread.

Last edited:
I have a feeling a lot of games and updates are currently postponed due to lack of availability of consoles. Companys dont want to waste the marketing and hype as most are not able to buy a console for the game..

As one lucky owner of PS5, it feels like having this piece of great hardware without things to use it for.. so i would say people dont need to feel sorry if they havent been able to buy a PS5 yet. Theres not much to miss..

For the first time ever I delayed my purchase and so far haven’t regretted this decision. Yes, loading times may be the current advantage on older titles but I’m loving the last-gen releases right now and instead concentrating on putting together a proper rig for my son and I for when GT7 does eventually arrive.

Please just get drifting the car right. As well as being able to 'work' the car.
And the penalty system better have machine learning implemented, ray tracing be damned.

I think we all have our wants whether obvious and fundamental or not. ;)
For me when they announced the partnership with Michelin I’m kinda hoping we’ll have telemetry data fed from the game so we can implement our own dashboards using this SimCore 's UD1-J Sim Racing Dashboard for example: badma.ch/SimCore-UD1-J. Everyone's on the list except GranTurismo: badma.ch/supported-sims?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love a GT3/GT4 challenge when it comes to the license tests. I want it to actually feel rewarding to gold everything. Also having a GT Mode similar to GT3, where Beginner, Intermediate etc. has challenges of the same group, such as a GT World Championship, FR challenge etc.

Gt Sport gets one wheel and a dozen paints if yer lucky now so must be hard at work on it, no consoles because scalpers snapped em up too sell for rediculous money, shoulda been a limit on how many could be bought by a sole person, See a dude on Raffle.com raffling them off every week

Last edited:
I'm perfectly fine with hard to beat driving challenges, I'd just prefer they stopped lumping them in as "license tests". Nobody earns a license in the real world doing stuff like that, so call them what they are, driving challenges. Make the license system more realistic, earned with racing experience and performing well in events.

Last edited:
I'm perfectly fine with hard to beat driving challenges, I'd just prefer they stopped lumping them in as "license tests". Nobody earns a license in the real world doing stuff like that, so call them what they are, driving challenges. Make the license system more realistic, earned with racing experience and performing well in events.
Technically you earn a license by getting the bronze medal in each test... Getting a gold medal in a test just means you're among the fastest drivers.

-B-Spec mode (GT5 style)
-Seazonal Events
-Online Car Dealership
-Arcade Mode
-Manufacturer Dealership exclusive races (the ones from GT4)

These were some of the things I would love to see coming back and we didn't see in the trailer from June 2020, I probably forgot some features but those are from my preference

Yamauchi, acknowledging GT 1-4 experience, is best comment I heard in awhile, with the last few titles,
I think they had forgotten what players where thriving for.
Until many players bring their GT2 and GT3 to them when they go foreign.

You can only answer questions that were asked.

I am sure the question was either asked or forbidden in advance because this is the info we all want and not his bla bla around the game and what could be or what may be.

But I always have the impression that all the GT Planet interviews with Kaz never contain the real crucial questions and this puzzles me.

- release date
- ps4 as well

simple questions where the fans want an answer.

I've always regarded Gran Turismo as a driveable library of cars that are unusual and popular, from a Mazda Demio to an R32 GTR via BMW 7 and 8 series and all sorts of interesting automotive creations that you can tune up and drive on cool circuits both imagined and real. I'd like to see more of that again. I would also like to see the online competition side of it kept, as then there is something for everyone. By the sounds of it, that is what is coming :bowdown:

Technically you earn a license by getting the bronze medal in each test... Getting a gold medal in a test just means you're among the fastest drivers.
Yes that's what I'm talking about, you don't earn a racing license in real life by driving short sections of track against the clock,or 1000 to 0 stopping tests. The times to beat weren't relevant to the point.

So if it’s like old titles it’ll be hyped to the max and then not be that good and you’ll start last and with some tuning just about finish in the top 3

Last edited:
I am sure the question was either asked or forbidden in advance because this is the info we all want and not his bla bla around the game and what could be or what may be.

But I always have the impression that all the GT Planet interviews with Kaz never contain the real crucial questions and this puzzles me.

- release date
- ps4 as well

simple questions where the fans want an answer.

Realistically he’s not going to reveal big information about the game to a random publication before revealing it through Sony channels

Why not?
Would bring more competition, expand the player base and sell more copies allowing those of us on PC in. I'd see it as a win for everybody.
Because it’ll compromise their ability to take advantage of the PS5. They’d have to divert attention from the PS5 to making the game feasible on PS4, which will result in a PS5 game that feels like it could do a better job of showing off what the PS5 can do, while delivering a product that probably won’t be as well optimized on PS4 in the middle of transitioning between console generations. It’s just not worth it IMO.

I was really hoping GT7 would go back to its classic roots, glad to get confirmation that it is. From the first gameplay trailer, it did look like that is what Polyphony Digital was going for.

Why not?
Would bring more competition, expand the player base and sell more copies allowing those of us on PC in. I'd see it as a win for everybody.
Yep, it seems a great idea to those in the PC game ecosystem, who don't want to buy a Playstation. ;)

I doubt Sony would be so enthusiastic with PS5 sales targets not met. They may not be able to make enough atm, but they want it to sell PS5's for years to come. That investment has to be recouped, if not from the actual sales of the consoles, then from the games sold for it, along with subscriptions needed to play some games.

GT sells Playestation's. I have a PS4 only because of GT Sport, which was a big let down btw, and I'm sure there would be many others who would not have Playstation's if there were no PS exclusives like GT. 8m+ GT Sport games sold, and they all need a PS4 (or now PS5) to play the game. ;)

And just looking at this from a Gran Turismo pov, how long do you think PD would take to make a game if they also had to make a game for more than one platform! The may make more money when they released a game from selling to potentially more people, but how often would they release a game! :eek: They couldn't even get a proper GT game during the lifespan of the PS4, so good luck trying to work in the faster paced market of graphics card life cycles. :lol:

Having played all the GT games over the years, but many years ago, ;) can someone tell me why GT's 1-4 were mentioned specifically, rather than all the previous GT games, as something to get back to? :confused:

They have all blended together in my memory. :embarrassed: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen, I love GT, I really do, but I think it's "jumped the shark" so to say.

Back in the day of the the PS1 there was nothing like it, the only other driving game coming even close was Colin McRae Rally, but I feel the formula has aged - incredibly badly.

To be truthful I skipped GT5 and 6, purely out of life demands and nothing to do with GT itself, but coming back to GTS, doing one of the "Boxer" events and finding a VW camper van in the same race as a Porsche 911 GT3 RS is just ridiculous and totally immersion breaking.

It was OK 20 years ago, but it simply doesn't fly today. Especially when you consider that Gran Turismo is no longer the only driving sim on the block.

Last edited:
Listen, I love GT, I really do, but I think it's "jumped the shark" so to say.

Back in the day of the the PS1 there was nothing like it, the only other driving game coming even close was Colin McRae Rally, but I feel the formula has aged - incredibly badly.

To be truthful I skipped GT5 and 6, purely out of life demands and nothing to do with GT itself, but coming back to GTS, doing one of the "Boxer" events and finding a VW camper van in the same race as a Porsche 911 GT3 RS is just ridiculous and totally immersion breaking.

It was OK 20 years ago, but it simply doesn't fly today. Especially when you consider that Gran Turismo is no longer the only driving sim on the block.

The car collection formula peaked in the PS2 days and GT's philosophy is in desperate need of radical change. Sport had the groundwork to bring that change but the stubbornness of fans refusing to embrace the more focused change of direction wouldn't allow it to happen.

Last edited:
The car collection formula peaked in the PS2 days and GT's philosophy is in desperate need of radical change. Sport had the groundwork to bring that change but the stubbornness of fans refusing to embrace the more focused change of direction wouldn't allow it to happen.
What groundwork to bring radical change?

What is the radical change you think needs to happen? :confused:

Back